• 64 results
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cheapoz

It has no identity! It looks great in the trailers and screenshots from a technical point of view, but where's the big hook. In marketing speak, where's its Point of Difference?

It's just dark, dark grey areas, big guns, and shooting people. You've got blue lights, baddies have red lights. Sound familiar?

Gears 2! Locust are red, Gears are blue, but they have memorable looking good guys, bad guys, guns, the Lancer's chainsaw is a massive hook, so on and so on. A game needs a hook, something to make it stand out. 

Besides graphical prowess, what does KZ2 bring to the party in terms of 1 big original idea, that will look good on an ad?
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

A Killzone 2 ad might be mistaken for a Fallout 3 ad.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Rayfield

Killzone 2 sounds really impressive but yeah, I think you have valid point there, Cheapoz.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By fr0br0
Arkthemaniac said:
"A Killzone 2 ad might be mistaken for a Fallout 3 ad."
I'd say the Helghast are pretty memorable, but I I do think a lot of people might get the two confused.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Well, the Helghast's difference with the Brotherhood of Steel in their face is basically glowing eyes. That's pretty much it.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cheapoz

The exact same problem with the enormous Resistance 2 ads, sure they were huge, but what the hell did it mean to anyone? Big monster, big gun, nothing new!

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I think a great ad for Killzone 2 would be two people having sex.

There you go. Original and new.
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Those glowing orange eyes are the hook, just have Kanye West make glowing Helghast glasses the next look.

Lunchbox1up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lunchbox1up

good point.  Killzone2 wont perform in the sales department any where near the likes of something like Gears or Halo.

months leading up to the launch of Halo3 and Gears2 you couldnt take a step outside without hearing about those games, and now a few weeks away from killzones launch the mainstream audience barely has any idea of the games existence. and the lack of a marketing hook (chainsaw gun, "finish the fight" etc) doesnt help the cause either

if this was a 360 game, MS would shove info down your throat and drive the game's sales while on the other hand it seems like sony doesnt even care. i wouldnt be surprised if Halo Wars outsells KZ2 (just like how Fable2 outsold LBP)
Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shinryu

I agree marketing this game must be an absolute nightmare, its so generic in terms of theme. Even the name is so generic and uninteresting to the average person i mean "Killzone".....Kill...Zone....thats just screaming at the average consumer "Ignore me!!".

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By destro

Killzone 2? There was a first one?

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cheapoz

Guess which franchise has more traction...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arkthemaniac
destro said:
"Killzone 2? There was a first one?"
Yeah dude, it was on the GameSphere!
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Otacon

The hellghast could be turned more into the franchises icon. I got a Killzone t-shirt at a Sony event and you can just make out the hellghast which looks pretty cool, I also got a 'Fight for your planet' poster which would be a good promotional campaign.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rayfield

I'm sure the game will be great and the franchise will continue to sell a bunch but seriously, what kind of stoner asshole called it KILLZONE?

Why not WAR ARENA?

DEATH GAME?

SHOOTING GUNS AT DUDES?

Avatar image for awesomethemighty
AwesomeTheMighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AwesomeTheMighty

You're definitely right about that, with the amount of time and hype that has gone into this game Sony should be marketting the hell out of it. If I hadn't decided to come back on here I wouldn't have even known it was so close to release.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Not everything needs to do something new

What if a game takes a basic style of game and perfects it

Fucking TC is a xbox faggot

Ban ALL fanboys

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Those glowing orange eyes, I'm buying the game the first day it comes out so they did there job in getting someone to buy there product : )

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arkthemaniac
BlackWaterCO said:
"Not everything needs to do something new

Ban ALL fanboys"
You heard him. BAN THIS METALLICA FANBOY!!!!
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zityz

Here's the marketing angle.

Killzone 2; Women WILL have sex with you if you play this, even if your a woman.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By DARKIDO07
Cheapoz said:
"Guess which franchise has more traction...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
"
Hold it....Is that a Transformers 2 ad to the right?
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlackWaterCO
Arkthemaniac said:
"BlackWaterCO said:

Ban ALL fanboys"
You heard him. BAN THIS METALLICA FANBOY!!!!"
eat shit
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cheapoz
DARKIDO07 said:
"Cheapoz said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
"
Hold it....Is that a Transformers 2 ad to the right?"
Correct, they can get away with 'less is more'. I don't think Sony can afford to be so arrogant. 
Not like Killzone 1 did 800 bajillion dollars.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arkthemaniac
BlackWaterCO said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"BlackWaterCO said:

Ban ALL fanboys"
You heard him. BAN THIS METALLICA FANBOY!!!!"
eat shit"
Get pwnt.
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zitosilva

That's a good point. Maybe they could've changed this by sdvertising it months prior to its release, making us more familiar with the setting, characters, etc. I guess now it's too late.

But I was also thinking that one of the reasons could be that of they spreaded the name "Killzone 2" a lot of people would be intrigued to know how the first one was. This would in turn lead a bunch of people to checking metacritic making them, probably, less interested in a sequel of a game that did not do very well. That's what I thought anyway.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Cheapoz said:
"It has no identity! It looks great in the trailers and screenshots from a technical point of view, but where's the big hook. In marketing speak, where's its Point of Difference?
It's just dark, dark grey areas, big guns, and shooting people. You've got blue lights, baddies have red lights. Sound familiar?

Gears 2! Locust are red, Gears are blue, but they have memorable looking good guys, bad guys, guns, the Lancer's chainsaw is a massive hook, so on and so on. A game needs a hook, something to make it stand out. 

Besides graphical prowess, what does KZ2 bring to the party in terms of 1 big original idea, that will look good on an ad?
"
this is a really good point. And I am not hating on killzone. I actually still have no idea what it is. I think I remember seeing a killzone 1 trailer with a guy that does look like the fallout 3 guy.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kmdrkul

A game called Killzone would probably be a massive headache for the Sony reps.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By End_Boss

Wow. I'm surprised everyone's reacting to this so maturely. After reading the first post, I figured the next twenty would all be "shut up 360 fanboy" posts, since the two games cited are 360 exclusives (not sure if they've been ported to PC yet, but they're definitely not available on any other console). While I don't think the examples mentioned were intentionally biased, we could also throw MGS4 in there... Snake is pretty iconic, and a surprising amount of non-gamers recognize him, if nothing else than as "that dude from that game". I guess that's all you really need when it comes to advertising. That little hook is enough to reel a sale home.

You're right. Unfortunately, Killzone doesn't seem to have it... But god forbid I voice my opinions on the enemy character models. I'm sure Jayge or one of his pals are hiding in some dark corner at this very moment.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cheapoz

I think it's also a valid point (since I unintentionally made it), that MS knows not only HOW to market a game, but that their games have something MARKETABLE about them.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By RHCPfan24

You got a good point Cheapoz.

Fr0Br0 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"A Killzone 2 ad might be mistaken for a Fallout 3 ad."
I'd say the Helghast are pretty memorable, but I I do think a lot of people might get the two confused."
I think the Helghast are pretty different, but I would get them more confused with the Combine from HL2 than anything else. The ad doesn't look as original as other games. At least Fallout 3 came first, so ads for Killzone 2 may be unintentionally going towards Fallout 3. Funny huh?
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By End_Boss
Cheapoz said:
"I think it's also a valid point (since I unintentionally made it), that MS knows not only HOW to market a game, but that their games have something MARKETABLE about them."
If this post didn't kill the validity of this thread, nothing will.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Arkthemaniac
End_Boss said:
"Cheapoz said:
"I think it's also a valid point (since I unintentionally made it), that MS knows not only HOW to market a game, but that their games have something MARKETABLE about them."
If this post didn't kill the validity of this thread, nothing will."
+1.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By toowalrus
Cheapoz said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
"
Probably
No Caption Provided
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Gunner
End_Boss said:
"Wow. I'm surprised everyone's reacting to this so maturely. After reading the first post, I figured the next twenty would all be "shut up 360 fanboy" posts, since the two games cited are 360 exclusives (not sure if they've been ported to PC yet, but they're definitely not available on any other console). While I don't think the examples mentioned were intentionally biased, we could also throw MGS4 in there... Snake is pretty iconic, and a surprising amount of non-gamers recognize him, if nothing else than as "that dude from that game". I guess that's all you really need when it comes to advertising. That little hook is enough to reel a sale home.

You're right. Unfortunately, Killzone doesn't seem to have it... But god forbid I voice my opinions on the enemy character models. I'm sure Jayge or one of his pals are hiding in some dark corner at this very moment."
Little tip from a guy who has been posting on these forums since the sites creation, dont hold any grudges and dont underestimate the potential maturity of the giant bomb forums.

This might be because im an "Enthusiast gamer" but every time i hear Killzone being mentioned i think of two round orange eyes staring at me. I've never played the first game but i heard nothing but good things about it, and thats one of the reasons im so hyped about Killzone 2 (other than the fact that im a bit of a graphics whore). I wouldnt be too surprised if this game turned out to be one of those "the best game no one played".
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cheapoz
End_Boss said:
"Cheapoz said:
Oh snap?
The guy who makes the maturity comment fires off a demeaning one-liner. Nice!
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By End_Boss
Cheapoz said:
"End_Boss said:
"Cheapoz said:
Oh snap?
"
Well I'm sorry,  but its true. People may have originally looked at your first post and the color of your name and given you the benefit of the doubt, but after stating that Microsoft's games have something marketable about them and Sony's do not... Well... Ya' shot yourself in the foot.
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cheapoz
End_Boss said:
"Cheapoz said:
"End_Boss said:
"Cheapoz said:
Oh snap?
"
Well I'm sorry,  but its true. People may have originally looked at your first post and the color of your name and given you the benefit of the doubt, but after stating that Microsoft's games have something marketable about them and Sony's do not... Well... Ya' shot yourself in the foot."
I think you've read too much into my post there.
In direct comparisons that I have made, the 2 MS games I mentioned happen to have had great marketing, and a great feature to hang the marketing on. The one game in question here, from Sony, does not. 

That is not a blanket statement that MS games always only ever have great marketing and Sony games always only ever have not.

If you want to bring in more points of reference, I think you mentioned MGS4, which I definitely agree with, an old guy with a 'stache is a good POD, and handled well.

There's not an ounce of bias in any of my posts. Straight up facts so far.
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zitosilva
MasturbatingBear said:
"Cheapoz said:
"It has no identity! It looks great in the trailers and screenshots from a technical point of view, but where's the big hook. In marketing speak, where's its Point of Difference?

"
this is a really good point. And I am not hating on killzone. I actually still have no idea what it is. I think I remember seeing a killzone 1 trailer with a guy that does look like the fallout 3 guy."
You know, now that you mention it, I also have no idea atll what Killzone is all about. I know it looks good and all that, but the premise... I have no clue whatsoever.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rayfield
zitosilva said:
"MasturbatingBear said:
"Cheapoz said:

"
this is a really good point. And I am not hating on killzone. I actually still have no idea what it is. I think I remember seeing a killzone 1 trailer with a guy that does look like the fallout 3 guy."
You know, now that you mention it, I also have no idea atll what Killzone is all about. I know it looks good and all that, but the premise... I have no clue whatsoever."

I reiterate:

SHOOTING GUNS AT DUDES: THE GAME
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoOneFive

this is not a great point. and the game has amazing visuals, despite people like you insisting its just a big blurry mess of brown and grey. 

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cheapoz
TwoOneFive said:
"this is not a great point. and the game has amazing visuals, despite people like you insisting its just a big blurry mess of brown and grey. "
Try and read the point we were making, before you say there isn't one.
starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By starfox444
zitosilva said:
"MasturbatingBear said: You know, now that you mention it, I also have no idea atll what Killzone is all about. I know it looks good and all that, but the premise... I have no clue whatsoever."
I'm quite sure its following killzone 1 where the Helghans attacked Earth in which we unpredictably go to their home planet and attack them to continue the eternal pissing contest. Although the story might have some interesting characters and what not,I wouldn't know,  I'm not a beta bester.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By get2sammyb

Ok - the GiantBomb's resident Killzone fanboy opinion on this post: to some degree I agree with the original poster. However over time I've began to think of Killzone less and less as being super-generic.

This time last year, the mention of anything Killzone related made me think "another shooter, really grey, generic but probably going to be fun". But since I've followed this game super closely over the last year I realise there is more to it than that. I point you into the direction of the "Art and Audio" interview on GameTrailers where they talk about the design of the planet, the universe and the general themes of the game. It's actually rather interesting for anyone who has a slight interest in the game: they talk about the way the landscapes and buildings had to be designed with intimidation at the core. They make references to Nazi Germany. It's quite interesting.

I do agree that Killzone 2 is a bit generic in terms of what it is and I understand the Fallout 3 reference but I'd assume the bright orange eyes are the hook with Killzone 2. I actually think the Helghast look really cool but that's my opinion.

However, if that's the case I don't understand why Sony's marketing doesn't think outside the box a little (EMPLOY ME PLEASE) -- why can't they take an in-game screenshot, increase the size of it and whack that on a bus stop. They could head the image with "In-Game Footage" and foot it with the "Killzone 2" logo. At the end of the day I feel like Killzone 2 is the kind of game that will sell itself by people seeing the actual product.

Personally I'd like to see playable demos in stores and a really simple advert like the "Ballet Of Death". That's what will sell Killzone 2.

EDIT: And those that aren't sure what the story is all about, you can read all what's happened prior to Killzone 2 on the Killzone website.

starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By starfox444

I sure hope there's a jungle level.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rowr
get2sammyb said:
"Ok - the GiantBomb's resident Killzone fanboy opinion on this post: to some degree I agree with the original poster. However over time I've began to think of Killzone less and less as being super-generic.

This time last year, the mention of anything Killzone related made me think "another shooter, really grey, generic but probably going to be fun". But since I've followed this game super closely over the last year I realise there is more to it than that. I point you into the direction of the "Art and Audio" interview on GameTrailers where they talk about the design of the planet, the universe and the general themes of the game. It's actually rather interesting for anyone who has a slight interest in the game: they talk about the way the landscapes and buildings had to be designed with intimidation at the core. They make references to Nazi Germany. It's quite interesting.

I do agree that Killzone 2 is a bit generic in terms of what it is and I understand the Fallout 3 reference but I'd assume the bright orange eyes are the hook with Killzone 2. I actually think the Helghast look really cool but that's my opinion.

However, if that's the case I don't understand why Sony's marketing doesn't think outside the box a little (EMPLOY ME PLEASE) -- why can't they take an in-game screenshot, increase the size of it and whack that on a bus stop. They could head the image with "In-Game Footage" and foot it with the "Killzone 2" logo. At the end of the day I feel like Killzone 2 is the kind of game that will sell itself by people seeing the actual product.

Personally I'd like to see playable demos in stores and a really simple advert like the "Ballet Of Death". That's what will sell Killzone 2.

EDIT: And those that aren't sure what the story is all about, you can read all what's happened prior to Killzone 2 on the Killzone website."
He was talking about the name and boxart.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By Red

What the crap is Halo's hook? I believe that Killzone 2's hook is to be as realistic and immersive as possible.....but while we're at it what is Halo's hook? I'm not dissing Halo but if your reason is that it doesn't have a hook than Halo should've sold abysmally. I think that Killzone 2 isn't on buses because it doesn't have the brand recognition. Has anyone here played Killzone 1 or Killzone: Liberation?

If those of us who have played it are few and far between those of them are practically non-existant.
I think that if Killzone would've started out as a launch title (like Halo and Super Smash Brothers) then it would've sold really well and dudes would've been "HEY! I KNOW THAT GAME!" I just think that they should've scrapped Killzone after Killzone 1 bombed.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Rowr
Red said:
"What the crap is Halo's hook? I believe that Killzone 2's hook is to be as realistic and immersive as possible.....but while we're at it what is Halo's hook? I'm not dissing Halo but if your reason is that it doesn't have a hook than Halo should've sold abysmally. I think that Killzone 2 isn't on buses because it doesn't have the brand recognition. Has anyone here played Killzone 1 or Killzone: Liberation?
If those of us who have played it are few and far between those of them are practically non-existant.
I think that if Killzone would've started out as a launch title (like Halo and Super Smash Brothers) then it would've sold really well and dudes would've been "HEY! I KNOW THAT GAME!" I just think that they should've scrapped Killzone after Killzone 1 bombed.
"
Halo has Masterchief.

Who is the main character of killzone? can you recognize him from a glance?
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By get2sammyb
Rowr said:
"He was talking about the name and boxart."
The original poster? He was talking about advertising the game in general?
Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It does have an identity.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gizmo

The best video-game advert EVER:

You are lying to yourself if you don't think this advert is stunning.
Turn up volume to achieve full effect.
/runs out and buys another copy of Halo