Why no uproar over cancelling the World Tour?

• 93 results
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Vodun

Because they made it clear from the beginning that if they didn't hit their numbers it wouldn't happen?

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By h0lgr

Because it seemed like a huge hassle.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By rjayb89

They could use our money to give rope technology to Tested. Or buy more TV dinners. You know, the cool stuff.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Surkov
@Dany said:

It was a dumb idea to begin with...

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By beforet

From my observations, more people were questioning to purpose of the world tour than getting hype about it. So the lack of any appreciable uproar is unsurprising.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By shotaro

As good as it would've been for the team to come to the UK the chances of them coming even remotely close to where I live was slim to none. The gamers (ugh I hate that term) that I know have, for the most part, not really heard of Giant Bomb and those that have refuse to pay money for a website.

Also it was a silly idea.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#57  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think it was a dumb idea that probably wouldn't have been great in the first place. In fact, I feel MORE inclined to pay them money now that I know they won't use it to travel the world. Well, not really. 

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Because lots of us don't care THAT much, and the rest of us see them at conventions and stuff, so yeah... I'm happy to just see them at PAX and harass Brad with my Fallout swag :3

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Zimbo

It always seemed like an overly ambitious idea to me. They could probably use the time and resources on something else.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TotalEklypse

They can use the funds to make the site better. 

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By GaspoweR

It was a product of a drunken proposition made by Mike Tatum which he regretted the following morning but they decided

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

@XenoNick said:

I'll be honest I never expected the world tour to actually happen.

Ditto and it's a shame.

Slippery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Slippery

It didn't happen because they didn't meet the requirements that they set out for it to happen.

If a university says you can get in with a high school entrance score of 85. And you get an 80. You aren't exactly going to get mad at the university for not letting you in.

I would love for them to come to Melbourne, would gladly pay to go to a live bombcast, but hey, no luck.

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By twillfast

I didn't expect them to actually do it.. but I was disappointed when I heard they cancelled it. Mostly because I heard it on the SNES party and would've wanted to hear it through the bombcast or something.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#65  Edited By Hailinel

I thought it was a stupid idea anyway, honestly. I never saw it as panning out.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By J12088

Because it was a bad idea.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By rapid

Just think about what the cost of air line tickets around the world would be.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68  Edited By crusader8463

Can't speak for others, but I always knew it was just a lie to get more subscribers, and that even if by some off chance they did do it they would never come to my area anyway so I never did it. My guess would be that next to no one was dumb enough to believe that they would actually follow through on something like that so they never go their hopes up.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By zeforgotten

@crusader8463 said:

Can't speak for others, but I always knew it was just a lie to get more subscribers, and that even if by some off chance they did do it they would never come to my area anyway so I never did it. My guess would be that next to no one was dumb enough to believe that they would actually follow through on something like that so they never go their hopes up.

Wow, that's negative. A lie?

You sound just like that idiot(though, you sound less like an idiot and just angry) that got pissed with the "ad" on the site even though he was dumb enough to not read through any sort of FAQ before subscribing.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By lockwoodx

Because I only live in one world.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By Duffyside

No uproar on my end because the promise was "once we hit 15,000 subs, we'll go." Well, over the six-plus months they had the World Tour promotion going, they didn't even get like 2,000 additional subscribers and they needed more than 6,000. It was obvious pretty quickly after the promo started "oh... they're not going to make this number."

When asked about this, Jeff said they would "get there eventually." But the way a push like this usually works is "reach this number by this date and we'll do X." That's what was disappointing about the whole thing, as is always the case with Whiskey it seems; their terrible communication. When do you need to hit this number? I mean, obviously if it takes five years to hit the mark you're not going to still honor the promise. That's not a good business model. They should have just said "we need to gain 5,000 more subscribers in six months." Had they said that to begin with, it wouldn't be a surprise that it was "canceled:" they didn't make their number by the time specified,hence they won't do X. No reason to get upset if you signed up for a membership because of this, because you knew the terms upfront. But in this case, no one set a date because they were afraid, which is a terrible reason but the only one I can come up with.

I still think they should go to Australia (and some Scandinavian country) though. I think making that promise last year when everything was going great, only to back out of it — again in a fearful, cowardly manner — was totally messed-up.

grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By grayfox1210

I didn't think it was a dumb idea at all, but I had a huge hunch that it wasn't going to happen. Think about it. They would be basically traveling the world. Just the traveling part is expensive as hell. Plus all the hotels and many other expenses. They would most likely have to pay out of pocket. They were just biting off more than they could chew and they came to grips with it that it just couldn't be done on a decent budget.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get by with a selection of hidden cameras, so I have no need to see them in person.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Duffyside said:

I still think they should go to Australia (and some Scandinavian country) though.

What would you actually do with them? Get sloshed and talk about games? That's fun for about two hours.
xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75  Edited By xxizzypop

I still can't believe there are so many negative Nancy-s with regards to subscriber content. I kind of signed up to help contribute to the world tour, but honestly, the free Happy Hours are what sold me. I watched one or two, I'd watched the entire Big Live Live Show Live! and realized that they were making extremely dumb live content that I was super interested in. For the price of the annual subscription, I've gotten a Whiskey Media t-shirt and countless hours of entertainment.

Some people seem so cynical about this entire thing. These guys have had almost nothing but love for the community they've rallied together over the past few years.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By crusader8463
@ZeForgotten said:

@crusader8463 said:

Wow, that's negative. A lie?

You sound just like that idiot(though, you sound less like an idiot and just angry) that got pissed with the "ad" on the site even though he was dumb enough to not read through any sort of FAQ before subscribing.

Sorry to bust your theory about me being mad, but I couldn't care less for reasons I mentioned in my OP. As for debating the other part, how was it not a lie? They said they would do something knowing full well that they would never get the numbers to go through with it, but they went ahead and promoted it to milk a few more subscriptions out of the community. So a bunch of people signed up because they trusted them, then when it died down a few months later, and they had hoped no one remembered it, they said oh that's not happening anymore we didn't get enough interest. That sounds like a textbook definition of a lie to me.

You can debate whether or not they did it with malicious intent from the get go, or  if they just didn't think it through enough, but ether way they said they would do something then backtracked on it after people gave them money to do it. If any other group did this that didn't have such a loyal fanbase people would be up in arms. If Microsoft did an event where every time you bought a year subscrition to live you gave your region 1 point and if enough people in your area did it they would come to that town and throw a big xbox themed party, only to back out on it a few months later, people would be livid. That's no different then what they did.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By zeforgotten

@crusader8463: Still trying to wrap my head around why it's a lie. They did say "If we reach the number, we'll do it" wich also implies that if they didn't reach the number they mentioned then obviously nothing would happen. So much hate towards what they do, and still sticking around, I don't get it

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By crusader8463
@ZeForgotten: No hate, it was just shady business and that's what I'm trying to point out. They knew they would never make the numbers to have to follow through with it, but they did it anyway to milk a few more subs out of the community. Maybe lie wasn't the right choice of word, but no matter how you cut it that was not a good thing to do.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By zeforgotten

@crusader8463: The day a company actually starts caring more about their fans/users/loyal followers than money, then we might as well sit down and do nothing because the planet suddenly turned into the perfect place to live.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463 said:

@ZeForgotten: No hate, it was just shady business and that's what I'm trying to point out. They knew they would never make the numbers to have to follow through with it, but they did it anyway to milk a few more subs out of the community. Maybe lie wasn't the right choice of word, but no matter how you cut it that was not a good thing to do.

Do you have some sort of inside knowledge about their fortune telling abilities?

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By b33

the lack of Portugal made me sad, that's why.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#82  Edited By Yanngc33

What uproar?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#83  Edited By Kazona

I am disappointed because I live in the Netherlands, but I'm not surprised. From the day they announced this plan, I felt like it was an impossible one.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By onarum
@crusader8463 said:
They said they would do something knowing full well that they would never get the numbers to go through with it.
Oh wow, I had no idea the WM members had the gift of precognition, hell they should be making money on that.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Kazona said:

I am disappointed because I live in the Netherlands, but I'm not surprised. From the day they announced this plan, I felt like it was an impossible one.

They clearly didn't give a fuck about non-english speaking countries when they made up those ridiculously high numbers.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By iamjohn

Why does everything need to have an uproar? Why can't we just accept that sometimes things don't happen and move on? And most importantly, why did you expect there to be an uproar? Christ.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#87  Edited By DeeGee

@atomic_dumpling said:

@Kazona said:

They clearly didn't give a fuck about non-english speaking countries when they made up those ridiculously high numbers.

I don't know what high numbers you're talking about, but the amount of people from non-english speaking countries that visit this site is so very small, it's no surprise they didn't care about them.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#88  Edited By Claude

I never really understood the World Tour. So I have no feelings on the subject.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#89  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It wasn't cancelled because it never go on the way, it's been up for moths and we didn't get to 10,000 subscribers/

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Portis

Who ever expected this to happen, anyway? I sure didn't.

Moreover, was it actually officially cancelled? I see no evidence of that other than the page being down. Though admittedly, I only read through a few pages of this thread.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#91  Edited By ThePickle

Because it was a bad idea and they're replacing it with good ideas.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Portis: yeah i think Ethan said it on the page that leads to the Whiskey Media Survey

im dissapointed but i understand why its not going to happen
Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I doubt anyone actually believed it would happen.