• 100 results
cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cheesebob

Now I don't give a flying fuuuuuuuuuuck about sales but I find this interesting. As everyone knows, GTA and COD are huuuuuuuge ass games that will sell literally fuck loads. But which do you think will win?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

GTA 5 will beat COD if for no other reason than it will have a longer shelf life, GTA 4 was 3 years old before I bought it, and people are still buying it now, no reason to think GTA 5 will be any different.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm sure it will be cloooooose.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jams

I know this is a little off topic but, does anyone know the sales numbers of the PC versions (of past GTA games)? I think I'm going to skip 5 because I already put away my consoles and they're supposedly not releasing 5 for the PC this time. I'd imagine that might hurt them a little more then they think since a lot of people have been shifting towards PC the past couple of years.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JZ

Yes it says rockstar on the box

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By JJOR64

To be honest I'm not entirely sure.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By GunstarRed

Nope.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McShank

I am Pretty Fuuuuuuuucking sure that GTA5 will come really close to beating cod in terms of awesomeness but in sales. You cant fix stupid and that is what COD is good at selling to. At least with GTA I have pre-ordered it and while cod did get me to buy Black Ops (first one) I do not think I will buy another as long as I have Battlefields and all the other million shooters out there that are not just plain old military shooters.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cold_Wolven

GTA V will sell fantastic in the 10's of millions by the end of the year but nothing will ever sell like a Call of Duty game which is why i always find it funny that publishers will chase CoD in sales numbers.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tunaburn

i sure hope so

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Flappy

I'm a bit iffy. I'm confident that it will be a better product (If only for the fact that it isn't an annual franchise), but as far as sales go, it's pretty hard to beat COD. Unless COD flops this year (very unlikely), it will still dominate in the sales department.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By pr1mus

If the next CoD sells less than the previous one and if GTA V sells more than IV then yes.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Branthog

Ideally, GTA V will blow the doors off all sales records, right out of the gate. This will catch everyone's attention and renew interest in more open-world games that are actually open-world (as opposed to those that are in seemingly open-worlds, but are too linear and short). There is a severe lack of open-world games, these days. I didn't realize how desperately I missed this genre, until I was deep in Sleeping Dogs. It's just so damn fantastic to experience a whole new location, new mechanics, new characters, and new story lines. To be surprised by random overheard conversations, various animations, clever details in the world around you.

Instead, I suspect it will nearly set records and it will only spur on a bunch of poor clones that don't even remotely come close, with their uninspired buggy games and we'll just be stuck waiting another five or six years for RockStar to go at it, again.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sanity

Not sure if it will beat COD's day one sales but lifetime sales will be higher i think.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By me3639

GTA will be strong but it wont outsell COD.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

GTAV will not beat COD day one or pre-order. Over a couple of months maybe GTAV will win. Maybe.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Branthog

@SethPhotopoulos said:

GTAV will not beat COD day one or pre-order. Over a couple of months maybe GTAV will win. Maybe.

So, the question has to be, what would GTA V have to offer or promote to have a shot at really breaking launch-day sales records and compete with COD? I mean, a lot of the COD promotions have been pretty vile (remember the ones with Ice T's wife in a thong with guns?).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By Justin258

CoD will outsell GRA for several months but lifetime sales might be close with CoD still selling more.
I would be happy if GTA won, though, if only to see Activision try something to get back on top in 2014. Or to see CoD held back a year, that would be great because BlOps 2 can't hold my interest. It was fun for about five hours total, then I dropped it and haven't looked back.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By probablytuna

I doubt it but I'm sure it will sell well regardless.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Kidavenger said:

GTA 5 will beat COD if for no other reason than it will have a longer shelf life, GTA 4 was 3 years old before I bought it, and people are still buying it now, no reason to think GTA 5 will be any different.

Yeah, but after about a year, the number of those that are used (and as a result, probably not tracked) goes up a hell of a lot. Even with platinum hits or whatever.

And no, it won't. It's Call of Duty, and the next one will be a follow up to easily one of the best games of the franchise. It's not dead yet folks.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By penguindust

Over the course of its lifetime, yes GTAV will likely outsell Modern Warfare 4. First of all, the last GTA game came out in 2008 so if someone is looking to play GTA on a current generation console they have only one choice. There is a new COD every year and players move to the next one annually. Once Black Ops 3 comes around, the majority of the COD faithful will drop MW4 and move to the latest iteration. Secondly, there is a strong chance that the next COD game will be on next-generation hardware. That install base isn't going to be as huge as the current base. That will further diminish sales as there are only so many consoles to be had Holiday '13. Yes, Activision will probably make a "dumbed-down" version for 360/PS3 but that will split the market and further erode sales for the title. On the flip side, GTAV will just do what it does and will continue to sell until GTAVI is released in 2018.

There are some numbers here for past COD and GTA games.

[Forbes] 'Black Ops 2' Tops 11M Units Sold In First Week, No Signs Of Call Of Duty Fatigue Yet

[Gamasutra] Grand Theft Auto IV Passes 22M Shipped, Franchise Above 114M

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Hizang

No, the Call of Duty fan base is bigger than the GTA fan base. Oh and every single year since COD4 the sales keep getting higher and higher.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PhilipDuck

Yeah i believe it will, not by much though.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JCGamer

I doubt it. COD is something crazy. Looks like black ops II has sold around 18 million copies (http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Black+ops+ii) and GTA IV around 10 million (http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7103/grand-theft-auto-iv/). Black Ops II even outsold GTA IV in it's first weekend it would appear. Granted the market has gotten larger since the release of GTA IV but I doubt anything can outsell COD unless something terrible happens.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

CoD will out sell be a "few" millions.

Edit: Looking at this 6 months later... I think I might have had a stroke while writing this.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think so. CoD on a bit of a slide and I think this GTA is set up to really kill with the huge install base and wait since the last GTA.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By musubi

Nope. GTA is popular but it isn't CoD popular.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#28  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's a good question. I'm sure they'll both sell really well, but if I had to say one way or the other I'd put my money on CoD.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Vinny_Says

@JCGamer said:

I doubt it. COD is something crazy. Looks like black ops II has sold around 18 million copies (http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Black+ops+ii) and GTA IV around 10 million (http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7103/grand-theft-auto-iv/). Black Ops II even outsold GTA IV in it's first weekend it would appear. Granted the market has gotten larger since the release of GTA IV but I doubt anything can outsell COD unless something terrible happens.

GTA 4 alone has sold 20 million copies.

But as for the topic, It might end up being a close one with COD having slightly more sales but that's because people aren't as interested in the current consoles. If Rockstar decided to release GTA 5 on next gen platforms as well (later in the year....launch title anyone?) then we might see GTA blow up in sales once again.

LuckyFire562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LuckyFire562

It depends, first off the next cod isn't gonna sell more than Black Ops 2, That I am positive, next is the hype, GTA 5 Trailer 2 via youtube gets a comment every 5 minutes, sure the view speed has decreased, anyways GTA 5 has been very hyped, theres isn't much competition in April or May, COD has its annuel competition with Halo and even BF4 if released, Now if you take a look at both Trailer 1 and the Trailer for BOPS 2, You see that GTA 5 has won the view and likes count!!! So lifetime sales I am positive GTA 5 will win, anyways if it was Black Ops 3 than for sure GTA 5 wouldn't compete, but obviously we are gonna get Mw4 or something not from Treyarch, also take note that the next Xbox will debut this holiday and that as well will decrease cod sales, Zombies seem to be a huge part of the franchise now, if Mw4 doesn't showcase zombies than thats another -, overall im sure GTA 5 will come very close, also don't compare GTA 4 sales, Take note that GTA 4 was released when this gaming generation began, GTA 4 Trailer views - 2 million, GTA 5 Trailer 2 - Nearly 17 million in two months, GTA Trailer 1 - More than Call of Duty BO2, Overall it looks like a very close match between the next COD and GTA 5.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheGreatGuero

With every COD game, they break a new record for fastest selling video game of all time. I'm not sure GTAV will be able to top that, but overall, it will definitely have more sales in the long run.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By mosespippy

I think the generation gap will hurt CoD sales. Hardcore gamers will have the new systems and their mid core gaming buddies will still have the old consoles. Since they'll be playing on different platforms the multiplayer aspect loses it's shine. I'd say there will around a 10% drop in sales of the next CoD game compared to the previous one. GTAV has a longer tail. It'll be close but I think GTA takes it in the long run.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Miketakon

@GunstarRed said:

Nope.

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jjm494

I'm pretty confident that GTA 5 isn't going to outsell the next Call of Duty. As someone who works at one of the busier GameStops in the northeast, I'm not seeing the pre-order numbers to indicate it would produce day one Call of Duty-like sales. Granted my evidence is only anecdotal, but I also haven't seen any announcements on the company intranet stating we passed such and such milestone so far.

I think one of the problems is that there's no street date yet. I have a couple people come in everyday asking when's the next GTA coming out and the best answer I can give them is between April and June. Until there's a confirmed street date the average gamer who picks up 4 or 5 games a year isn't going to get excited and put down money for a pre-order. Activision on the other hand, has this down to a science. Every year they announce the new Call of Duty in May and people start flooding in to the store to pre-order. We wind up having hundreds of pre-orders before the end of May. It may sound weird to gauge first day sales on how a game is doing pre-order wise three to six months before its release but Activision getting people excited early and getting them to commit money to guarantee a copy is how they're able to generate 11 million sells the first week a Call of Duty game comes out.

Their are two other factors that will most likely prevent Grand Theft Auto 5 from overtaking Call of Duty:

1. Mature content other than violence. Parents really don't have a problem buying their ten or eleven year old a game where you run around as a military guy shooting other guys in military gear with machine guns. However, parents generally back away from buying their kids Grand Theft Auto IV or Read Dead Redemption because of the sexually content these two contain.

2. The majority of people coming in expressing interest in GTA 5 or asking questions about its release date are generally above the age of twenty. What gives Call of Duty is strong sales is its core audience of pre-teen and teenage boys who play it with their friends and/or annoy the living hell out of you over X-Box Live by being generally obnoxious or displaying the skills you can only obtain from having the free time to play a game for hours on end everyday.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KittyVonDoom

Well, if there's one franchise that's more overrated and over-hyped than Call of Duty...

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Baillie

@KittyVonDoom said:

Well, if there's one franchise that's more overrated and over-hyped than Call of Duty...

Is Devil May Cry? No wait, Bayonetta! Nah, that's not popular enough. Fable? Hmm. Fallout! In fact, The Elder Scrolls, because that Skyrim... That was a funny GOTY, heh.

Nah, the real answer is obviously Half-Life.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By grilledcheez

Yes

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BaneFireLord

Lifetime sales, yes, but it will not beat COD in opening weekend sales and 2013 sales.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sploder

Nope

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By redbliss

@Turtlebird95 said:

I'm sure it will be cloooooose.

Glad someone posted thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PhilipDuck

It will outsell Cod which will be a nice change for 2013..

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By stonyman65

I think GTA will win overall (maybe). Release day sales? Nothing can touch Call of Duty, and nothing probably ever will unless someone comes out with another groundbreaking game or series like CoD 4 was originally.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tebbit

According to my amazing research, It seems like GTA IV has sold around 25 million over the course of its life. While Black Ops 2 has done somewhere around 20. So It'll probably be close, but if they come out at the same time, Call of Duty will swamp GTA IV's sales numbers for a year or so.

Just call me Michael Pachter.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#44  Edited By mcmax3000

At the end of 2013, when we're looking at the top selling games of the year, Modern Warfare 4 (or whatever they call this year's CoD game) will be number one.

That said, if you're looking at total unit sales in a few years, I could see GTA V being higher.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I'm going to make a huge bet and say YES!, it comes out in June far away from anything else and it has been 5 years since the last GTA

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By crusader8463

It won't be getting a sale from me since they are not doing a PC release, so I can't say. Until they release a PC version I couldn't care less what the game does.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Bollard

People are saying yes?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jimmyfenix

@crusader8463: hows red dead coming along ?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By Deranged

Why does it even matter?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By NekuSakuraba

It will be close. I'm not sure if it will outsell the next Call of Duty in day one sales, but I'm pretty damn sure that in the long run GTAV will triumph.