Will you Switch To Linix Now That Gabe Newell has Said "Linux IS the future of gaming"?

• 53 results
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Will you Switch To Linix Now That Gabe Newell has Said "Linux IS the future of gaming"? (210 votes)

Yes Gabe Newell KNOWs all and i Saw Follow him to the promised land / I already HAVE 12%
I'll stick with Windows for my PC Gaming needs 84%
MAC / Bootcamping is the best thing ever 4%
Cause all PC gamers look like Dragon Ball Z characters Yup, also this picture is fucking brilliant.

While Newell wouldn't go so far as to repeat his claim from last year that "Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space," he made it clear that he thought he disapproved of the current direction of the PC platform.

"How to be polite ... we think that has been some bad thinking. Platforms are becoming more controlled, the software developer market is controlled, the content is controlled, and [so is] the pricing." He believes that Microsoft and the PC vendors think that this is the right way, but they're wrong. "They should have leveraged the strength of open systems, rather than going to proprietary platforms."

"Linux is the future of gaming for gamers on the client as well, because, besides Microsoft moving to a more locked-in style of computing, "Open systems were advancing much faster. The old console guys are not competitive, and there's huge tension in proprietary systems." For example, Newell said, "It took us six months to get one update through the Apple store. Closed systems are at odds with the evolution of gaming."

Why Linix is the Future of Gaming

Will you make the Switch?

• 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By crusader8463

If they make it so everything can come out then I might look into it, but until there's 100% parity no. I never want to have to pass on a game because I don't have the right OS.

Also, I somehow never realized the big guy was Gabe in that picture. No idea why I never put two and two together.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@mandude said:

It'd be nice if all the software I used was available on Linux. Until then...

you know its not hard to set up a dual boot. You already own microsoft stuff and linux distributions are free and relatively easy to install. I mean I have ubuntu on a flashdrive(which I never use)! If i wanted too, I could dedicate like 100gb(i have a smaller drive) to linux and set up steam.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I have no real attachment to windows outside of being used to it. If Linux become the new thing, then sure whatever, switch time. I just don't believe it's going to happen. And if it will, it's not going to be soon.