• 70 results
Kev-Bot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Kev-Bot

They're certain random events that present themselves at the most unexpected times throughout our lives, and one of those moments happened to me about two weeks ago, and now I have finally took the time sit down and write about what happened that day. 

It started off like every normal Monday, (and as everyone knows we all love Mondays in the GB community). I love Mondays especially because it's my day off work. Now waking up I already knew I was going to head down to my local game store to look around and see if they had a original God of War for the PS2 having just finished GOW 3 and never playing the first. And I know, yes I have never played the first, don't hold it against me. And I'm more of a collector so I decided to pick that up instead of the GOW collection. Anyways I get there and they have a very nice black bar copy in great condition, everything except the disc itself. Luckily they have a disc repair machine there so the store clerk preceded to clean the disc for me free of charge since I was going to purchase the game anyway.
Alright they're a few things to keep in mind here.

#1 - It is only me and the clerk in the store at the time
#2 - Everything in the store is behind glass counters, systems and games still in their boxes. Unlike Gamestop where game case's are sitting out on display for you to look at without the disc.

So while I'm waiting for the disc repair a man walks into the store, a rather suspicious looking man. He preceded to ask the clerk about Nintendo DS's and how he wanted to pickup two for his son and daughter. So he picked out the two that he wanted from the top shelf behind the counter and some games for them, and to quote him " Let me get that Call of Duty" and "And I need a girly game for my daughter". As they are going threw the checkout process he kept on insisting that he needed to see the DS's outside of the box. And at this moment I could see that store clerk starting to get weary about the situation. The clerk gave him the total amount while the suspicious man stood there and tried to make small talk. And I could tell from a distance that the man was getting nervous. The DS's meanwhile were sitting on the back wall behind the counter. At this time my disc was finished with the repair process and the clerk went to grab my game for me. In that instance the man leaped the glass counter and grabbed the two DS's while dropping the games as the clerk shouted "What the F**K are you doing!". The man let out a grunt as a sort of a way to intimidate I guess. He leaped back over the counter top and in that moment the hero in me started to stride towards him until he reached in his pocket and pulled out what seemed to be a knife. Him pulling out a weapon did prevent me from trying to stop him as it was logical to not get stabbed. But I have to say it did feel good to put pressure on him. 

So he ran out of the store and got away with two Nintendo DS's. The store clerk called the police right after of course, and they didn't show up over a half hour after the robbery. While we were waiting for the authorities the clerk and I went over the events that just happened and he was telling me about the multiple camera's in the store, and how the building and store is owned buy a police chief. In the end I still don't know if the man was apprehended or not. As much of a gaming enthusiast as I am they're not worth dying or going to jail over, and it just makes you think what lowlife scum there is in this crazy world we live in. But all in all I did get God of War for FREE!!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

Sad to hear about since it seems the place is more local, not a huge corporation like Gamestop. I know a store in town was robbed last year but the guy had a gun which is uber scary.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Wait, so in the panic, you slid the GoW into your jacket? 

I kid, I kid. That's scary bro.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Lol that was a good story and it sucks for the thief that the store is owned by the police chief.

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By BreakfastKing

As someone who works in retail, thats exactly the kind of situation we all fear.  Good to see the clerk had good instincts on it, but at the end of the day there is only so much you can do to a guy with a weapon who lunges across the counter.

And @Barrock, I do hope you aren't implying you'd like to see Gamestop get robbed instead.  Just being a corporation doesn't mean the kid behind the counter deserves a gun pulled on him.

Defias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Defias

That sucks for the owner seeing as it seems it is a small business. And yeah it wouldn't be worth it to get shanked over a ds or two

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Barrock
@BreakfastKing said:
" As someone who works in retail, thats exactly the kind of situation we all fear.  Good to see the clerk had good instincts on it, but at the end of the day there is only so much you can do to a guy with a weapon who lunges across the counter.  And @Barrock, I do hope you aren't implying you'd like to see Gamestop get robbed instead.  Just being a corporation doesn't mean the kid behind the counter deserves a gun pulled on him. "
No not at all. I'm just saying on top of it sucking that someone got robbed and threatened it also sucks because it sounds like a Mom and Pop joint lost money. Gamestop at least has tons and tons of insurance but you never know with local businesses. 

I'd prefer it that no one was robbed.
fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By fishmicmuffin

That is why I have lost all faith in humanity. Shit like that + the kind of people you hear in online video games = no faith left in the human race.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By papercut

2 DSs. Really? Odd fellow that man and I hope he gets caught. Glad you didn't get stabbed, that would suck.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

That's insane. People are crazy.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Honestly, that is a cool story. You are going to be thinking about this when you're old and wishing you saw that again...
Dysnomia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dysnomia

Pretty cool story. Also sounds pretty scary...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince
@K3vinkha0S said:
"  he was telling me about the multiple camera's in the store, and how the building and store is owned buy a police chief.  "
Oh shit. Guess that robber is boned.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Gabriel

Just carry this picture around in your wallet to give you confidence 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By jakob187

I pity the muthafucker that would ever try to pull that kind of shit in my store.  The boss constantly tells me that if we get held up, just give them what they want and let them leave.  However, it would lead to them saying "give me all the money" and me turning that muthafucker into a paraplegic. 

I work good under pressure.

Nonetheless, that's some crazy shit to hear about.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By AlwaysAngry

If you had a license to carry, you could o' popped a cap in dat mofo!

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fbomb

The weirdest part would have to be that he wanted them out of the boxes, which would kill resale value, since they would no longer be brand new in-package. Makes me think he really did want them for his kids, but can't afford them because he's broke. If that's the case, his heart's in the right place, but is completely out of his tree with regard to priorities. I don't think I'd have tried to stop him either, whether I worked there or not, since it's not worth the risk to escalate a situation as ridiculous as that. Don't beat yourself up about not following through with acting the hero, because that kind of thing isn't worth vigilante justice--one of you was going to get hurt, that neither of you did means you did the right thing.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Ineedaname
@jakob187 said:
" I pity the muthafucker that would ever try to pull that kind of shit in my store.  The boss constantly tells me that if we get held up, just give them what they want and let them leave.  However, it would lead to them saying "give me all the money" and me turning that muthafucker into a paraplegic.  I work good under pressure. Nonetheless, that's some crazy shit to hear about. "
You make it seem like you have repressed years of unarmed combat training and in situations revolving around pressure this training re-surges.
Have you ever blacked out and come back around having no idea what was going on, only to be surrounded by bodies?
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DrPockets000

I work at a store that sells games. 

Fuck. 

Specifically, I work at Hastings, and we found out today that someone opened fire in a Hastings a few states away. 

Double Fuck.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By jakob187
@Ineedaname said:
" @jakob187 said:
" I pity the muthafucker that would ever try to pull that kind of shit in my store.  The boss constantly tells me that if we get held up, just give them what they want and let them leave.  However, it would lead to them saying "give me all the money" and me turning that muthafucker into a paraplegic.  I work good under pressure. Nonetheless, that's some crazy shit to hear about. "
You make it seem like you have repressed years of unarmed combat training and in situations revolving around pressure this training re-surges. Have you ever blacked out and come back around having no idea what was going on, only to be surrounded by bodies? "
No, but I do know how to disarm someone with a knife and break their fucking arm.  = D  Most people that are holding a place up with a knife have little to no experience with it.  They just wildly swipe it around and try to lunge at you. 

Now, if a dood had a gun, that would be trickier.  Crazy muthafuckers use guns, and even if you give them what they want, there's still a strong chance they'll shoot you anyways.  Therefore, it pretty much comes down to "do I wanna be a brave muthafucker or not?".  I don't know if I would go after a dood with a gun...but I'd like to think that I'd try in the fight for true justice.
Avatar image for nikoalexander57
NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NikoAlexander57

Up up down down left right left right B A start and then you could have taken him down no problem.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

Good to know that the police didn't give preferential treatment to a store owned by other police. They were, par usual, late. 

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fbomb
@jakob187 said:
" @Ineedaname said:
" @jakob187 said:
You make it seem like you have repressed years of unarmed combat training and in situations revolving around pressure this training re-surges. Have you ever blacked out and come back around having no idea what was going on, only to be surrounded by bodies? "
No, but I do know how to disarm someone with a knife and break their fucking arm.  = D  Most people that are holding a place up with a knife have little to no experience with it.  They just wildly swipe it around and try to lunge at you.  Now, if a dood had a gun, that would be trickier.  Crazy muthafuckers use guns, and even if you give them what they want, there's still a strong chance they'll shoot you anyways.  Therefore, it pretty much comes down to "do I wanna be a brave muthafucker or not?".  I don't know if I would go after a dood with a gun...but I'd like to think that I'd try in the fight for true justice. "
And if a guy knows how to use a knife, or comes at you from a weird angle, has a weapon you didn't notice in his other hand? Don't try to be a hero confident that you can handle anyone with a weapon. Having had a knife pulled on me before that quickly transitioned to disarming the guy and knocking him over, I want even less to do with people holding knives. It's real, and could have easily been deadly for either him or me, and I don't like either option. 
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fbomb
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" Good to know that the police didn't give preferential treatment to a store owned by other police. They were, par usual, late.  "
The threat was gone, so it's no longer a top priority, with only property stolen, so it's not like they would have even been able to get there using their lights.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Ryax

shoulda helped rob it. free games

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Evilmetal
No Caption Provided
  Where are your video games skillz to stop the perp?
TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheChaos

I was at game store with my friend who had returned 2 months earlier from his tour of duty in the US army. 
Almost same thing happened except that my friend disarmed the guy who had a gun and held him to the ground until the police showed up. 
Then we got SFIV and went to get lunch.

lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lolicanseeyou
@Barrock said:
" Sad to hear about since it seems the place is more local, not a huge corporation like Gamestop. I know a store in town was robbed last year but the guy had a gun which is uber scary. "
that happened to a small store near me
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brunchies

That guy is a little to desperate for video games.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He must have heard about the Dragon Quest IX Release Date

In all seriousness though, pretty scary stuff. Good on you for thinking about it instead of just jumping at the guy though.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ashogo
@Fbomb said:
" The weirdest part would have to be that he wanted them out of the boxes, which would kill resale value, since they would no longer be brand new in-package. Makes me think he really did want them for his kids, but can't afford them because he's broke. "
That's kind of what it sounds like to me as well.

In any case, you handled the situation well. And free GoW!
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By RichardLOlson

You should have screamed out "I AM A MAN!" and then punched him in the stomach.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By DanielJW
@K3vinkha0S said:
"  But all in all I did get God of War for FREE!! "
There's the happy ending I was waiting for. Cool story, good thing nobody got hurt, especially if dude had a knife. As brave as it would have been to jump him, you made the right decision to back off. They're just DSs, nothing to get stabbed over. Now were they PS3s... 
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By TomA

Lol i can just picture the store clerk screaming "What the fuck are you doing!"

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sixghost
@jakob187 said:
" @Ineedaname said:
" @jakob187 said:
No, but I do know how to disarm someone with a knife and break their fucking arm.  = D  Most people that are holding a place up with a knife have little to no experience with it.  They just wildly swipe it around and try to lunge at you.  Now, if a dood had a gun, that would be trickier.  Crazy muthafuckers use guns, and even if you give them what they want, there's still a strong chance they'll shoot you anyways.  Therefore, it pretty much comes down to "do I wanna be a brave muthafucker or not?".  I don't know if I would go after a dood with a gun...but I'd like to think that I'd try in the fight for true justice. "
Can't wait for your eventual "I got fucking stabbed" thread.
FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FirePrince

At least you didn't get hurt.Good for you,since you left with free god of war.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Captain_Insano

Hmmm, seeing as you were buying God of War you should have asked yourself

What would Kratos do?
 What would Kratos do?

In all seriousness though you did the right thing to stay the hell out of that situation.
elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By elko84
@JJWeatherman said:
" Wait, so in the panic, you slid the GoW into your jacket?  I kid, I kid. That's scary bro. "
LOL.  

Cool story tho.  You did the smart thing when he pulled the knife.  Rule #17:  Don't be a hero.
Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Clembo

Be honest, who here thought this story would end in: "FUCKING GAMESTOP!"?

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Coombs

What to do if someone pulls a knife on you,

1.  Quickly & calmly reach to your belt and pull your knife
  2.  Wait for him to run        (people who use knives offensively generally do it for intimidation)
  3.  Be prepared to be hurt, Or to hurt him should he come at you   (self defense training helps, for both)

OR if you are the kind of person who doesn't believe in standing up for the ideals you pretend to care about

1. Quickly and calmly reach to your belt and pull your pants down
  2. Bend over and let him have his way with you
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@jakob187 said:
Yeah dog you a badass! I hope they make that clear in your eulogy...
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By h0lgr
@jakob187 said:
" @Ineedaname said:
" @jakob187 said:
I can't tell if this guy is being real or not.
Avatar image for randominternetperson
RandomInternetPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@Ineedaname said:
" @jakob187 said:
This isn't Tekken 5 duder
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrSnow
No Caption Provided
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@jakob187 said:
" @Ineedaname said:
" @jakob187 said:
I agree with your logic completely, but nobody can be sure of how they would react in that type of situation (Assuming you've never been in one like that before).  Ideally I can see myself saving the day and becoming the hero, but realistically I don't know how I would react with a guy waving a knife in my face.   

All the same, I hope you're next to me if shit like that ever goes down. If someone else steps up I would too, so we'd make it!
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jimbo

This happened to me once and the guy tried to stab me, but luckily I was wearing a shirt made from a rare alloy that only I know about and it deflected the blow.  I broke the guys neck in a heartbeat.  I was half way through ministering the Last Rites by the time the cops showed up, but they just asked me for a few combat tips and then put me forward for the VC.  I don't really like to talk about it.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mono_Listo

Growing up where I did, it seems like every other person has multiple robbery stories. I worked at a Pizza Hut that was robbed (one of the assailants personally waved a gun at me, though I could clearly see it wasn't loaded), another time I got chased by a guy with a knife my freshman year in college, been shot at along with others while playing basketball, etc, etc. One of my best childhood friends is in jail here in Virginia (Norfolk) for the same crime, and if and when he clears it, he has to head up to Boston to face charges there.

I don't think anyone should ever attempt to be "brave" in these situations, but nine times out of ten there's really no danger - these people are more afraid than you are.

Stick up kids, however, the ones that hit you up in broad daylight or in the parking lot of a bar: give them everything they want and don't say shit. The ones that look like they eat well and can afford to not be jacking. Those are the ones that will peel your cap.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Fbomb said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" Good to know that the police didn't give preferential treatment to a store owned by other police. They were, par usual, late.  "
The threat was gone, so it's no longer a top priority, with only property stolen, so it's not like they would have even been able to get there using their lights. "
You speak the truth. I think there is still psychological value to arriving to the scene of a crime quickly, but you're right. 
Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Chirag4
@jakob187 said:
Oh you big man, you.