• 124 results
Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@liquidsnakegfer9:

the virtual boy had original stuff not ports. Persona is a PS2 game that belonged on the PS2. You have been told this many, many, many, money, many times before. No?

Anything original on the virtual boy was ruined by the fact it was on the virtual boy.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@crithon said:

Atari Jaguar, even if I got it for Alien VS Preditor, why didn't they port over the Lynx games?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Fuck porting over, they should have added a cartridge that could play Lynx games a la Super Game Boy.

On a side note, was a Lynx emulator ever made? I've always wanted to try games for the platform.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By BrittonPeele

The R-Zone was pretty horrific. And I actually own(ed) one.

Anyone who says the Vita or Wii U is the "worst console ever" has not used very many consoles from the past three decades.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sargus said:

The R-Zone was pretty horrific. And I actually own(ed) one.

Anyone who says the Vita or Wii U is the "worst console ever" has not used very many consoles from the past three decades.

Agreed. I'd go so far as to say these people are either raving fanboy idiots or way too young to be playing M-rated games. Fuckin' kids.

@hauntingthedark said:

@liquidsnakegfer9:

the virtual boy had original stuff not ports. Persona is a PS2 game that belonged on the PS2. You have been told this many, many, many, money, many times before. No?

Anything original on the virtual boy was ruined by the fact it was on the virtual boy.

OH GOD YES! I remember when I was a lil' girl. They had a demo kiosk in my local Blockbuster (that's how big they were - you went THERE for the demo kiosks!) Within 20 minutes my eyes were watering and irritated and I had a killer headache. I'd play the games on an emulator or something if I could mute the SUPER BRIGHT RED a bit, but on the console, the answer is no.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Maybe it's not really a console in the academic sense, but the OUYA. Fuck that hipster box.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By CatsAkimbo

@yukoasho said:
@dasacant2 said:

@hauntingthedark said:

@liquidsnakegfer9:

OH GOD YES! I remember when I was a lil' girl. They had a demo kiosk in my local Blockbuster (that's how big they were - you went THERE for the demo kiosks!) Within 20 minutes my eyes were watering and irritated and I had a killer headache. I'd play the games on an emulator or something if I could mute the SUPER BRIGHT RED a bit, but on the console, the answer is no.

I use my Virtual Boy once in a while because I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all. The tennis game is actually not horrible if you can get past what feels like your eyes and the front of your brain being put into a vice.

Avatar image for hauntingthedark
hauntingthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Probably the GameCube.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Were there any worthwhile games for the 3DO?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#60  Edited By Nodima

Anyone who did not live through the gloriously bloated and insane console Golden Age that was the 1990s can't be taken seriously on this topic. None of the "bad" consoles of the 2000s can hold a candle to the steaming piles of silicon well-off gamers subjected themselves to in the pursuit of bits.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Vita doesn't suck; it's just pointless.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@tourgen: sigh, those were my sega saturn importing days. I got a Jaguar to play Highlander, blah, and how fast did that just nose dive into the bargain bin at the local gamestop. I stand by the Jaguar being so bad because I just found my old Atari 7800 and damn, Atari could build a good console 30 years ago. It's ridiculious Double Dragon could be done on an Atari.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

Anyone who did not live through the gloriously bloated and insane console Golden Age that was the 1990s can't be taken seriously on this topic. None of the "bad" consoles of the 2000s can hold a candle to the steaming piles of silicon well-off gamers subjected themselves to in the pursuit of bits.

Yeah, the 90s were fucking awesome in this regard.

Were there any worthwhile games for the 3DO?

I liked Total Eclipse, that was pretty awesome for the time. It also was the only console to have Super Street Fighter II Turbo at the time, and was the console where Gex and Need For Speed made their debuts. Also, there was a pretty boss version of Wolfenstein 3D.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

I don't know, while I won't debate that the worst stuff did come out of the 90's I think the Gizmondo and N-gage are not far behind.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@tourgen:

That's unfair. The Ouya needs at least the same amount of time as the Vita before you get all up on your horse about it. Jeez Louise.

yeah maybe, but I've held an Ouya controller and it's a sad joke. The Vita is at least a pretty nice piece of hardware.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

For me of the ones I owned I'd say Gamecude, only game I liked from that thing was Luigi's mansion.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@crithon said:

@tourgen: sigh, those were my sega saturn importing days. I got a Jaguar to play Highlander, blah, and how fast did that just nose dive into the bargain bin at the local gamestop. I stand by the Jaguar being so bad because I just found my old Atari 7800 and damn, Atari could build a good console 30 years ago. It's ridiculious Double Dragon could be done on an Atari.

7800 was pretty sweet. I always liked the 800 and the ST too. I remember wanting the Jaguar when it first came around but held off.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese:

Really. You sound like the guy who had no good memories of the N64. If you actually have a 3DS and buy games for it then you'd see the difference in quality. For every port that you call better than the PS3 version or whatever, I'll give you an original 3DS future classic. Say what you will about Wii U but the 3DS has arguably the best lineup of games on any system, home/handheld in years.

What does not liking the N64 have to do with anything? I never said anything negative about the 3DS. Saying I prefer the Vita doesn't mean I think the 3DS is garbage. I've played a lot of the "important" games the 3DS and I think a lot of them are overrated. 3D land was pretty great but my next two favourite 3DS games are a port (Devil Survivor) and a DS game (999). The 3DS is not a system filled with "future classics" and even if it was how does that make the Vita shit?

Is this really just a veiled attempt to say you're down with the 3DS?

Stubstub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Virtual Boy, headaches + not a lot of games + not much fun

Vesper27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Vesper27

VIta or the PSP or the Virtual Boy.

Although, I feel the Virtual Boy had great games but it would give you terrible headaches.
I tried my first one at Wal-mart a long time ago.

Vita because it is a phone but a gaming device. Except, what's the library for it.

The PSP because it was a sacrifice for the DS and 3DS. The DS just should be praised forever. Again, the PSP's library is severely lacking. Sure there are some decent games but...eh.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vesper27 said:

VIta or the PSP or the Virtual Boy.

Although, I feel the Virtual Boy had great games but it would give you terrible headaches.

I tried my first one at Wal-mart a long time ago.

Vita because it is a phone but a gaming device. Except, what's the library for it.

The PSP because it was a sacrifice for the DS and 3DS. The DS just should be praised forever. Again, the PSP's library is severely lacking. Sure there are some decent games but...eh.

I don't even know how you can compare a console that was actually painful to use to the psp and vita. while I'm not saying that they were incredible or anything but i am saying they are in a whole other league than the virtual boy.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

out of the ones I've owned (not including add ones like Sega CD and 32X) Id say the two worst were 3D0 and the Amiga 32, and to be fair I bought them once they were "dead systems and I was buying them for the novelty. I never owned a Jaguar or Virtual Boy.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#73  Edited By SharkEthic

I know it's your opinion that the Vita is the worst console ever made, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is wrong.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read all this thread and all I can draw from it is that the OP has a serious issue against the Vita for reasons I can't quite figure out.

Unless he's 12 years old (quite possible considering) then there's something seriously wrong to claim the Vita is the worst console ever.

The Vita is a fantastic device, with a fantastic library of games. It's easily my favourite handheld I've ever owned and I've certainly owned my share.

The worst console has to be the Jaguar right? I have a fond spot for my old 3DO but I appreciate how bad it was. Virtual Boy might take the crown as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I owned a Jaguar as a kid, played a CD-i and a Virtual Boy as a kid... can I just say some of you have no idea what a bad game console is ACTUALLY like... hell the Vita launch lineup alone made it better than the 3 consoles I just listed.

Let me put this into perspective for your, I was 6 when I got given an Atari Jaguar and I owned a Megadrive/Nes/Commodor64 at the time and I'd play some shitty edutainment game on the C64 and be perfectly happy and even with that in mind I remember hating the Jaguar to the point I played it the first week I got it and then asked mum to trade it in for some games for my NES/Megadrive, no one does that when they're 6.... you love everything!

The CD-i was almost exclusively made up of incredibly stiff FMV games with the worst controller known to man

And the Virtual Boy was so awful that games were made worse just by existing on the system, it was impossible to make a good game for that thing because you couldn't play it for more than 5 minutes at a time without getting neck ache and eyestrain. It didn't help that the library of games were essentially just crappy Gameboy games with visual depth.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Personal Computer.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#77  Edited By sammo21

@hauntingthedark: Saying it doesn't make it right. If the Vita is the worst system to you then your experience with gaming systems is extremely limited. EXTREMELY limited. Also, the Virtual Boy better than the Vita?

No Caption Provided

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the Vita, because it gave me a chance to finally play Persona 4.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By BRich

Xbox One.

NSA-box, DRMM!1, DAY ONE UPDAYTTTE, consumer rights, too many features I won't use!

In actuality, the Wii is the worst console I've ever personally owned. The worst (mainstream) console ever has gotta be the Virtual Boy.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By AMyggen

The premise of this thread is obviously pretty dumb. The Vita isn't the worst console ever by a huge margin, not when something like the Atari Jaguar actually existed.

The Vita is anamazing piece of hardware. It's a powerful machine for its price and size, the OLED screen is stunning and the UI stuff is actually pretty good (I'm saying that as someone who generally isn't a big fan of how Sony handles that side of their consoles). But Sony never really got behind the console in a big way. It got some games in the beginning, P4G is obviously amazing (even if it's an update of a PS2 games, there's a lot of new stuff and balance tweaks), but that's about it.

I think Sony's problem is that they thought people still wanted a "handheld PS3 experience". That's what they more or less sold the thing as since day 1, when Nintendo (and smartphones) have proven that people want another kind of game on their handhelds. If you want to play a console game, why not play it on your big TV? The market for taking such a game "on the go" has always been small.

The Vita never sold well, and the 3DS getting Monster Hunter 4 as an exclusive was probably a sign that Sony had already given up on it being anything more than a niche product. Now, the Vita will be getting some sweet indie games and be a cool accessory to the PS4, but that's not gonna move many units. Sony has already all but confirmed that all their big studios are moving to the PS4, and the "coming up" section for the Vita for 2014 is a wasteland.

But it's not the worst console ever by any stretch of the imagination. It's just that I think Sony figured out early in its life cycle that they don't have the resources to support two consoles...so they didn't, and as a result the Vita is already almost dead as its own thing.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the Vita is the worst console experience that you've ever had, then you're a very lucky person.

The Wii is the worst console I've ever owned. Wii Sports was the shit, but then I stopped caring once I played through SSBB.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Current? The Ouya.

In the past, I don't know... The Virtual Boy?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#83  Edited By monkeyking1969

Well, hands down the one that gave me the MOST trouble, broke the worst and just was miserable to own on some days was XBOX 360. I mean come on, a failure rate in teh double digits? Scratching discs? A disc tray that would shoot out in one model or a 'on/off button' that you could brush past to activate. Oh, some of the games were great and I had a lot of fun when it worked...but functionally that system was hot garbage, or paying for every little thing that was nice through Gold...double hot garbage.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You must be pretty young for the Vita to be your "worst console."

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Corvak

Don't forget the travesty that was the N-Gage.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give the Vita a bit of time. It's a really outstanding device. I bought mine a few days ago and Dragon's Crown is... something else. What a masterpiece.

Glasgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yukoasho said:

On a side note, was a Lynx emulator ever made? I've always wanted to try games for the platform.

You could try Handy. As far as I know the last version was 0.95 and worked fine. Not every game worked 100% (although I never played every game) but most ran ok.

As for games, I personally liked California Games, Chips Challenge, Blue Lightning and Rygar. A lot of the Atari arcade games received pretty decent conversions too (S.T.U.N Runner, Roadblasters and Klax, to name a few). There's also an unreleased version of Lynx Alien vs Predator floating about somewhere which is quite interesting.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I owned a Jaguar as a kid, played a CD-i and a Virtual Boy as a kid... can I just say some of you have no idea what a bad game console is ACTUALLY like... hell the Vita launch lineup alone made it better than the 3 consoles I just listed.

Let me put this into perspective for your, I was 6 when I got given an Atari Jaguar and I owned a Megadrive/Nes/Commodor64 at the time and I'd play some shitty edutainment game on the C64 and be perfectly happy and even with that in mind I remember hating the Jaguar to the point I played it the first week I got it and then asked mum to trade it in for some games for my NES/Megadrive, no one does that when they're 6.... you love everything!

The CD-i was almost exclusively made up of incredibly stiff FMV games with the worst controller known to man

And the Virtual Boy was so awful that games were made worse just by existing on the system, it was impossible to make a good game for that thing because you couldn't play it for more than 5 minutes at a time without getting neck ache and eyestrain. It didn't help that the library of games were essentially just crappy Gameboy games with visual depth.

The problem with the CD-i is that it wasn't really committed to anything. Even the Sega CD was a games device at the front (though it had CD and CD+G/karaoke support). The CD-i was attempting to be a multimedia box, and was also an attempt by Phillips to push VCD in the west. Yeah, I remember seeing a bit of Star Trek V in a Sears once, and it didn't look as good as the VHS tapes I was used to. That and most movies were either multi-disc or multi-sided or both, which was a pain in the ass that helped kill the CED format too. Put short, rather than having extra multimedia features, the CD-i was based around multimedia, and this was in a time when there weren't a billion cheaper ways to get into that stuff than game consoles.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By SpoogeMcduck

Atari Jaguar, I saved up for that thing and then it was nothing but a giant turd. I still have it, in its original box and like new condition(because it sucked and I barely played it) along with the games and a Lynx that I keep meaning to put up on ebay.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By reisz

@hauntingthedark: So like 4 months ago or something there was a guy in here wondering whether or not he should get a PSP. I had two so I PM'd him and just flat out mailed him one of mine. The guy was over the moon, thanked me multiple times and I felt mint for weeks. Still feel great about it.

You should do the same thing with your Vita, someone less jaded who is more interested in enjoyable gaming experiences than provocative forum threads would love to have that console. And you definitely need the personality brightener.

Also the 64 DD, it's an add-on but still. DAYUM.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that the N64 received a port of Daikatana makes it irrefutably the worst console ever.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atari Jaguar, I saved up for that thing and then it was nothing but a giant turd. I still have it, in its original box and like new condition(because it sucked and I barely played it) along with the games and a Lynx that I keep meaning to put up on ebay.

Honestly, if it weren't for Rayman debuting on the Platform, the Jaguar could have safely never happened.

The fact that the N64 received a port of Daikatana makes it irrefutably the worst console ever.

It was also the worst version of Daikatana. They somehow made a piece of shit even shittier.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I had a CD-i. It was terrible.

Geoborealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original Xbox was the only system I ever threw in the trash. In all honesty, it was a refurb, it was having problems, and the Xbox 360 had backward compatibility.

Avatar image for deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9
deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

All of them and their kin.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By geirr

CD-i

CD-i is hands down the worst console ever and I was dumb enough to buy one..back then.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nintendo Virtual Boy. I still remember playing the kiosk at a K-Mart in 1995. I was playing Red Alarm at the time for ten minutes. At first it seemed cool with the red vector graphics but I got lost and was feeling uncomfortable. I didn't know I was suppose to takes breaks during the play session. When I had enough and saw light again. I felt I was going blind. That was the first time I played a store video game kiosk that was not fun. In retrospective, it was dumb that the Virtual Boy was originally marketed as a portable device.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By zaccheus
Avatar image for deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2
deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I won't comment on systems that I've never owned or played more than 1 minute on, so Virtual Boy is out. From the systems that I personally owned, I would choose the Atari Lynx (Model 2) followed by the Game Gear. Those two had next to no games that interested me, and seemed too primitive by the time they saw release. (I was busy with Genesis/SNES & DOS games at the time.) Battery life is of little consequence to me, given that I tended to use battery packs or simply play around the house. (I can barely make out what's on a screen in sunlight anyways.) Having said this, I actually didn't mind those two portable systems that much.