Worst ever game to recieve a "Game of the Year" Edition?

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By samfo

Simple question everyone, What is the: Worst ever game to recieve a "Game of the Year" Edition?

They say don't start the show with a showstopper. But here I go:

No Caption Provided

Yes that's right AFL Live 2, not only recieved no nominations/wins for Game of the Year, it barely even got reviewed.

The few reviews I can find include a 55/100 and one with the quote: "it's not the best, but it's all we have."

Bring it on people, what are the worst games to get the GOTY treatment?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Two Worlds and Two Worlds 2: Electric Boogaloo

Can't find the boxart for either though because literally no one cares.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Edit: MGS4 didn't have one. I'm dumb :P

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Fallout 3?

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@samfo: I think you already won.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Fable 2. But that's just my opinion. Red orchestra 2 got a GOTY release if I remember, that game didn't get any awards I recall but fuck it that game's awesome

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's obviously worse ones, but I'm gonna throw in Halo 4.

I saw there was a game of the year version and my brain exploded.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust
No Caption Provided

I thought this game wasn't deserving of the accolade.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

This is coming from a huge MGS fan. This game is a mess
This is coming from a huge MGS fan. This game is a mess

There is no "Game of the Year" or "Complete" edition of MGS4.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@zippedbinders: Misread the title, didn't see "editions". I just remember a hell of a lot of GOTY awards for MGS4. Forget my post I guess.

Unless you want to count the Legacy Collection... But that isn't bad.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@jeust: Beat me to it.

Ride to Hell should have won multiple GoTY awards.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim.

FIGHT ME, SHOEMAKER.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By BaneFireLord
@nonused said:

Skyrim.

FIGHT ME, SHOEMAKER.

Skyrim never got a GOTY edition; the big ol' "Here's the game and all the DLC" pack is called the Legendary edition.

Also, while I respectfully disagree with your opinion of Skyrim's lack of worthiness as a GOTY title, that podcast debate was fucking cringeworthy.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zaccheus

This is a great game, but I think this abusively awful box art deserves a mention here.

No Caption Provided

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all about Dead Island if you ask me. That game was "ok"

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@zaccheus said:

This is a great game, but I think this abusively awful box art deserves a mention here.

No Caption Provided

Yeah. The game totally deserves a GotY edition, but it's right up there with Uncharted 2 for ugliest box art ever. Relative to games with significant marketing budgets, anyway.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@zaccheus said:

No Caption Provided

Yeah. The game totally deserves a GotY edition, but it's right up there with Uncharted 2 for ugliest box art ever. Relative to games with significant marketing budgets, anyway.

Egregiously awful placement of box quotes has become the new standard for terrible box art. It makes me pine for the days of Bad Box Art Mega Man.

TJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TJK

@zaccheus: my god, that box art is so ugly I had to login just to agree. I am a very level headed person that does not get very emotional, but goddamn, that box art is so revulting I feel somewhat physically ill.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tjk said:

@zaccheus: my god, that box art is so ugly I had to login just to agree. I am a very level headed person that does not get very emotional, but goddamn, that box art is so revulting I feel somewhat physically ill.

The worst part is that under all the quotes and logos is a really good box art.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: yeah, the white/red actually looks great!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

There's a certain audacity to giving something a "Game of the Year" edition, isn't there? The closest I can think of is the first Two Worlds, though Dead Island isn't a bad choice either.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Corevi
@arbitrarywater said:

There's a certain audacity to giving something a "Game of the Year" edition, isn't there? The closest I can think of is the first Two Worlds, though Dead Island isn't a bad choice either.

As I said previously Two Worlds 2: The Second also got a GotY edition but neither of those box arts have been uploaded anywhere because no one cares.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Borderlands didn't deserve its GOTY edition. I love that game but it's no Batman Arkham Asylum.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure it did. Although it was such a slow burn it could've would up with 20XX's Game of Last Year. Yes, I can't remember when it was released. 2009? That Batman box makes it look like he's being beaten to death by box quotes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I second (Or third or forth) Dead Island for Worst Game of year edition just because it was so buggy I could barely get through it.

No Caption Provided

And since people asked here's the Two Worlds 2 box! (Ripped from some site, watermark blotted out because why not and this is the best picture I could find)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@corevi said:
@arbitrarywater said:

As I said previously Two Worlds 2: The Second also got a GotY edition but neither of those box arts have been uploaded anywhere because no one cares.

Eh, I believe the term for Two Worlds 2's all-DLC pack-in thing is "Velvet Edition", if I recall correctly.

Also Two Worlds 2 is a charmingly janky open-world game with an interesting magic system. It's not great by any means, but it's a significant step above the first.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Its hard to outperform the OP example...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AlexW00d

Fable 2. But that's just my opinion. Red orchestra 2 got a GOTY release if I remember, that game didn't get any awards I recall but fuck it that game's awesome

Who does it need to get awards from? PCGamer gave it best MP in their goty stuff.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By whitegreyblack

I own Two Worlds II Velvet Edition - "Game of the Year Edition" is debossed right into the velvet.

I have not played it yet, but the package is real purdy.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@nonused said:

Skyrim.

FIGHT ME, SHOEMAKER.

Skyrim never got a GOTY edition; the big ol' "Here's the game and all the DLC" pack is called the Legendary edition.

Also, while I respectfully disagree with your opinion of Skyrim's lack of worthiness as a GOTY title, that podcast debate was fucking cringeworthy.

Wait, why did you not like the debate of Skyrim vs Saints Row 3. I think the ending was weak and how i think it was Patrick who caved. And while Saints Row 3 was fun, I just think Ryan and Jeff gave it too much credit for the tone or the game than for how it actually played. I liked it, that last mission was amazing only for the music but the game itself sometimes felt unoriginal. It had good moments but as a game, it was pretty good, but not the best that year.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk: Granted, it's been a while since I listened to the podcast so I might get some details wrong, but Brad's arguments were the verbal equivalent of a battering ram. He just kept reiterating the same points over and over again ("They've finally accomplished what they always set out to do!" etc.) in various keys of whine until Ryan (it was definitely Ryan, not Patrick...Patrick had been tacitly agreeing with Brad through the whole 'cast) basically threw his hands up out of exasperation and went "Fuck it, give it to Skyrim, let's go home, I'm sick of this bullshit," even though he had not played Skyrim and had ranked Saints Row at the top of his own GOTY list (IIRC). Skyrim's (re: Brad's) victory just felt cheap and unclean.

TLDR; it felt less like a debate and more of a war of attrition on Brad's part. While I love Brad and I wholeheartedly agree that Skyrim was the best game in 2011 (it's on the short list of my favorite games of all time), the way he went about winning the debate was ugly and unpleasant to listen to.

But hey, it was almost three years ago, so whatever...the travesty that was The Stanley Parable being booted from last year's list in favor of Rogue Legacy is a far greater miscarriage of justice.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By KaneRobot

@banefirelord said:
@nonused said:

Skyrim.

FIGHT ME, SHOEMAKER.

Agreed with the spoiler tag, aside from the fact I think Skyrim is not that fantastic. It was bad enough that I stopped listening to the podcast for a while, just did not want to hear that guy's voice. Just embarassing.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@corevi: I actually bought Two Worlds 2 (on discount) because people were saying "It's way better!" I gave that game like an hour and a half more time than it deserved (which is about five minutes).

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cloudymusic
Not
Not "worst game," but the special edition feels unwarranted. Also, this package design rivals that Batman boxart.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#35  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Apparently Rugby League Live 2 got a Game of the Year edition. Seems to have been developed by the same people who made AFL Live 2 from the original post. Now, I haven't played it, but the reviews I can find for it aren't exactly stellar.

Oh, and Dungeons, a game I think was panned by just about everyone also got it's GOTY edition.

No Caption Provided

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Corevi

@fisk0: I think this tells you everything you need to know about that game.

No Caption Provided

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys are taking the "Game of the Year" edition out of context cause they are indeed a game released in that year. At no point did they say that it was THE game of the year. Yeah, i doubt i can find a game that can beat those sports games.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#38  Edited By alistercat

There's too much opinion wanking going on here.

I DIDN'T LIKE [insert popular game here]

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By geirr

No Caption Provided

I understand, Activity in the 12 months updates incorporate some bragging to perform, nevertheless they bragging shouldn't be this centerpiece in the entire top deal with.

what..?

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

The concept page for "Game of the Year Edition" is pretty thorough, so you can really just scroll through that and choose your least favorite game. The one I raised my eyebrow at was GTR 2: FIA GT Racing Game, though I admit I've never played it or heard of it before mere minutes ago.