Would YOU pay a Giant Bomb subscription fee?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By jakob187

Alright, I need to post up a long and drawn out post because it's just what I do.  I can't stand by just having my simple answer from before: 

I understand the point of having a subscription model available to the public:  the guys make some money in order to keep the site going and put a little scratch in their pocket, and the users get some added benefits for paying that fee.  However, one of the things that has made Giant Bomb so awesome is that we haven't NEEDED a subscription model.  Because of one archetype available to all, it has helped to create an incredibly rabid community that loves the work that is done.  What would a subscription model add TO THAT? 

Segregation of the community via an exclusive forum to paid users?  That's one potential thing.  I'm sure that's a bit overexaggerated, but is it?  I hate the idea that we already have a sense of segregation as it is with the forum regulars vs. the IRC regulars.  There is always this underground rumbling like it's a fucking popularity contest.  If an exclusive forum was offered, then what good would that do for anyone?  Sure, exclusive users would still have access to the regular forums, but what about the regular forum users that aren't paying for a subscription? 

How about exclusive access to additional content?  Would this be something like the TANG series...or Endurance Run?  Would it be access to the Mailbag or the other tons of excellent features that Giant Bomb offers to the audience it garners?  Would those who don't pay be denied the ability to see the behind-the-scenes office antics that Giant Bomb features?  Part of the awesomeness of Giant Bomb is that it's been a site where it was a laid back thing.  Adding a subscription model that would offer exclusive access would take away from that.  This site, personally, has always felt like a way for people to come together and appreciate our hobby rather than being a business through and through.  Denying access to specific content would again be separating the community. 

What about exclusive contests?  Sure, I guess you could do that...but again, that separation hurts. 

I mean, in the end...adding a subscription model very much feels like a popularity contest.  It's like school:  if you aren't paying for your lunch, then you're on free lunch.  Free lunch means you're either poor as dirt or you're just not paying for lunch.  Regardless, it's a segregation that prevents everyone from enjoying the same content together, which is why I think Giant Bomb is as great as it is.  There's no separation (other than this IRC vs. forums business I continually hear about), and in turn, when someone makes some inside joke about the Endurance Run...well, we don't have to go "oh, yeah, it's a subscriber thing, you wouldn't understand". 

I would hate for people to feel separated and left out because they don't have a subscription to an amazing website.  At the same time, is it fair to you guys, the Giant Bomb crew, that we aren't paying for the content you spend so much time making for us?  YOU MAKE THAT FOR US!  We SHOULD be paying you!!!  However, where do you draw the line between "let's make a site that appreciates games for what they are and isn't some super rigid corporate bullshit" and "man, we need to make some money to make sure the site continues on for years and years to come"? 

I do not envy you guys for having to think of this stuff, as I imagine the conversations and discussions about it have to be very very long and very very difficult to make decisions on.  I would just hope that Giant Bomb NEVER offers a subscription model that does anything other than maybe take the ads away for those paying.  I would hate to see any content being restricted from everyone, as the content that is made is incredible. 

Just make sure that whatever choices you make, you make them with the COMMUNITY in mind as well...and how those choices could affect the COMMUNITY as a whole.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Dany

Depends what is offered. 

Bigger and higher res video would automatically put me in consideration

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By Red

Yeah, probably. I mean, I probably spend at least a dozen hours a week watching the videos, listening to the podcast and posting on the forums. If there would be any way to give back for all that and maybe get no ads and a RED skin for the site, I'd be all up-ons.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd pay 20-30 for everything we have now, and probably more if it had some t-shirt deal with it, or more content or whatever 

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By dethfish

I think you guys are getting a little to worked up over this. The GB staff is smart. I'm sure they wouldn't do anything that would piss off lots of users.

Paying a subscription fee for GB would make more sense in a year or two, when there is more ads and more users.

skippyscissors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By skippyscissors
@natetodamax said:
" Despite the fact that I follow this site like a religion, there's no way I'd pay a subscription fee. "
This
ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By ez123
@Delta_Ass said:
" @copycatzen said:
" Nop dude, I like my adds "
An add is an additional enemy in an MMO.  An ad is a form of paid advertising.  THERE IS A FUCKING DIFFERENCE "
There's a difference between an actual definition and video game slang, too.
CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By CactusWolf

It would depend upon pricing relative to benefits. 

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By lordofultima

No, and if paid users got access to content not available to free users, I'd probably just stop visiting Giant Bomb.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Systech

You know what? Probably.

Hangid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61  Edited By Hangid

No. Simply because I don't have the money. 

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By agentboolen

NO!!!

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Akeldama
@Zajtalan said:
" i would pay for a giantbomb magazine "
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By Jimbo

Basically agree with everything jakob just said.  

I think if you introduce a subscription option, it really needs to avoid anything which impacts on the unity and equality of the community, however innocuous it may seem.  Essentially, I think it should just exist as an opt-out for the ads - giving users the option to pay with their money rather than their time (watching the ads).  This choice doesn't effect anybody other than the individual user making the choice.

Honestly, not having this option would probably result in me watching a whole lot less GB content once the pre-vid video ads make it across the pond.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TheMustacheHero

No actually, I wouldn't.

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Pinkshley1

No. 
That said, this is my favorite game website by far, but no website is worth a subscription, unless it's tied to another service, such as Netflix.

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By Carlos

Only if they give me a bunch of stickers and buy alcohol with the money!

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By DanielJW
@ThomasP said:
" Yes, because I know they would make it super fucking amazing somehow. That's why I'm here. "
This.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By c1337us

Well it's good that it would mean content beyond what you currently get, and not just charging for things we already get access to. It would all depend on the price and the content that came with it. Its all well and good that people say that they supported them by buying the iPhone ap (which I did also but because it was inexpensive and an ap I wanted) but I am not a philanthropist... I would only be prepared to pay if the content was worth the money and not too expensive. I wouldn't do it just to "support them."

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Expletive

in an instant

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

I'd have to see the product first, then decide. I certainly wouldn't want to pay for a service that requires periodic and expensive hardware upgrades, as do some apps on Steam, the gray cloud being concealed by a "free" silver lining.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#72  Edited By Video_Game_King

Probably not, especially if these extra features are just regular features they make you pay for.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ryoma122

a magazine yes but i wouldnt pay for a site
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@RsistncE said:
" It's amazing how this generation of consoles has managed to convince people to pay (and be satisfied with said payment) for things that really haven't ever cost the consumer anything before. "
I have also noticed this.
Xbox Live Gold really gets you no benefits that are worth paying for.
The Dreamcast had free online multiplayer. Why dosent the Xbox?
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@AgentofChaos said:
" No. And why isn't this a poll? "
Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends, if I get something physical to go with it like a dvd box set of the Endurance Run, awesome Giant Bomb limited edition gold plated T-shirt , a high five from the whole Giant Bomb staff, etc., then I would most definately get the subscription.  Otherwise I would have to think about it and see what it could realistically offer.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By iamjohn

No.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By iamjohn
@Boom_goes_the_dynamite said:
" It really depends, if I get something physical to go with it like a dvd box set of the Endurance Run, awesome Giant Bomb limited edition gold plated T-shirt , a high five from the whole Giant Bomb staff, etc., then I would most definately get the subscription.  Otherwise I would have to think about it and see what it could realistically offer. "
Okay, I rescind the previous comment.  I would TOTALLY pay for Giant Bomb if I got an Endurance Run box set and high fives from the staff (but only if it includes Snide, Drew and Titan).
irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By irishjohn

No, I wouldn't.  The site is great so far in terms of advertising and content.  I'm not sure how they would make a subscription plan fit.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Dany

I think what Jeff was talking about was keeping the site as it is but for a subscription, you get more. Nothing is removed from your experience, just more and new features.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iAmJohn: I know this would make a subscription well worth it, but it would probably result in them losing money, paying for plane tickets for the personal high fives and the 30 disc set.  But one can dream...one can dream.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b65f243818c0
deactivated-5b65f243818c0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimbo:
Totally agree. I would pay to eliminate the ads. 

Most people might not feel that way, but...we'll see....it feels really icky for them to try and monetize content...it's like, it could build an expectation that the guys have to be a content-producing machines, day after day....it might stifle their creativity. Bringing money into the picture is usually never a good idea.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#83  Edited By sjschmidt93

Probably.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#84  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" If its truley worth it "
THis
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#85  Edited By spankingaddict

no

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By RsistncE
@brainwins: Both. No reason we should be getting charged for Live when better services such as Steam are available out there on other platforms for free.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By RsistncE
@JeffGoldblum: Exactly.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By shadows_kill

no unless it included some extra stuff......

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Toxin066
@DanielJW said:

" @ThomasP said:

" Yes, because I know they would make it super fucking amazing somehow. That's why I'm here. "
This. "
Agreed. I totally would.
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#90  Edited By FLStyle

Maybe depending on the content, but come on, it's Giant Bomb duders. I'm paying £10 for two magazines every month, I'd never buy another copy of either and use that £10 on a GB subscription fee if it came down to it.

Bigbombomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Bigbombomb

I really think this site is cool and as much as I know the staff is smart enough to handle a subscription fee on Giantbomb correctly; I'm going to have to say:

No

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#92  Edited By ki11tank

nope, but if there were some subtle ads i'd click the shit out of them for you.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#93  Edited By giyanks22

No, but it depends what its for. I love Jeff's idea of getting you games for cheaper, if you subscribe to GB, but not for site content. Its not like gamespot, where they have a staff of 20 people, so they can pull out a lot of extra content. GB has 6 dudes (if you count dave), and I'm perfectly happy with what they're putting up on the site. I think they're pumping out everything they can as of now, so if there was a subscription fee, then i think that the non-subscription content would be very sub par.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#94  Edited By JJOR64

It depends on what benefits I would get.

thunderball65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#95  Edited By thunderball65

i don't mind ads on the site.  but i would most likely not pay a subscription fee.  if i did pay one it would have to be really low, like $10-15 for the year.
Dovey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#96  Edited By Dovey

Whilst  I definitely won't be against it and will happily pay (probably no more than $10-$15 a year), There would need to be more content created that could become I guess *exclusive* to premium users.   Let's see what they decided to do.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

Some day we'll look back on this as the golden age of the Internet, and tell a disbelieving audience of young people, about how wonderful services could actually be had for FREE.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@mikecardii said:
"I would probably pay up to around 50 bucks a year, depending on what kind of benefits you'd get for subscribing."
I think we all know what he means by "benefits." 

*looks at Brad*

I think you know most of all.
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#99  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I would've if the site had ads at the start. It's sort of like paying for something we used to have.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"It's sort of like paying for something we used to have. "

Dignity?