Would you watch a Dreams series hosted by Vinny?

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Poll Would you watch a Dreams series hosted by Vinny? (173 votes)

Yes 86%
No 14%

Listening to the Beastcast this week, Vinny articulated just how deep Dreams can be and how he's struggling on how to present a quick look and other parts of it.

Would you watch a series where Vinny went through and made something? Perhaps the first episode can be a broad overview, quick look style, then the remainder of it be him building some type of game? It could be a live show with semi-participation from the community either using suggestions via chat or assets other people have built in dreams and categorized/tagged for the show.

What do you think you'd enjoy most?

• 
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Humanity

I’d watch paint dry if it was hosted by Vinny

As for the actual show - I’d probably like to see them take a look through the offerings and play the best projects on a weekly basis. I don’t think it would work all that great if they attempted to build something on their own because it means hours and hours of tutorials and I just don’t think they have the time and energy that certain hobbyists do to get anything worthwhile off the ground.

I guess for a low bar if they decided to recreate 1-1 but with GB user made assets that would be an interesting cross-audience partnership.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Really the only way I could see this working is if they brought in someone who was already really good and fast making things in Dreams to help them make some really short, small thing. Sort of like that Construct 2 video from a few years ago when they brought in Alex Zandra van Chestien and ended up with . . . however you would describe what they ended up with.

Jarp12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Could do a couple of building episodes similar to how they did 13 Deadly Sims and then play through and they could do community made projects like last time.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly probably not if it was just a weekly check-in on 'what's the deal with dreams?'

a greatest hits of user-generated content feels a little played out at this point (and i prefer to read about that stuff, just talking personally).

now if they collaborated with some of their dev friends to make something (someone handle music, another handle art, another handles animation, etc.) that would be kinda neat. but i don't see that show getting made as the amount of logistical work to capture it on video and edit together would probably monopolize all their production time. also presumably they wouldn't be paid by sony/Mm to demonstrate the robustness of their tools, so it might feel like free labor from their end.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Nope. I like Vinny but after watching that Construct2 video start off ok and then deteriorate into a giggle fest over poop... I’d rather have someone on board that would take it a bit more seriously.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrainScratch

No. I would rather watch it being hosted by Jeff, like that stream they did some time ago when the game wasn't out yet but already had some content. But even then I don't see how it could be turned into a show. Maybe like a "once in a while" thing like Mario Maker.

DrRobotnikX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

They should check in on it once a month and call in Dreams Diary

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably not. For games like this I feel a site like GB can never compete/keep up with folks on Youtube in terms of the amount of time/effort poured into coverage for a single game and the output of content for it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By BisonHero

@humanity said:

I’d watch paint dry if it was hosted by Vinny

Same. To be honest, I miss Project B.E.A.S.T. and Exquisite Corps, which both felt like weird Vinny ideas. I'm still kinda baffled that GB East has never done some kind of formal video series of Factorio or Satisfactory, and instead it is relegated to random Playdates.

Credit to Dan for being a video series firehose, but after a while it got kinda boring that nearly every series idea of his was "revisit old game from Dan's childhood/teen years that he knows he already loves, and all he does is talk everyone's ear off about how good it is (Metal Gear Solid, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party, This is the Run Soul Calibur, GoldenEye 007, PunchOut!!, just to name a few that I can remember offhand)" There are obviously some exceptions to this, and I don't know how much of the credit goes to Dan for stuff like Crime Crew or Sea Beasts which maybe Dan spearheaded, but I still feel like Dan disproportionately revolved his series ideas around his own personal nostalgia. Abby has the Sims and Nancy Drew, Alex has Blue Bombin' and some wrestling games, Vinny does VinnyVania (though many of them are new to him), but mostly their video series ideas always struck me much more as "let's play some new shit and see what happens."

I'd much rather more series where someone from GB East fucks around in some game they're still learning. So sure, I'd watch Vinny play some Dreams. Why not.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MachoFantastico

Listening to the bombcast I couldn't help but think it'd be call if they did a feature similar to Jeff/Dan's Mario Making with the community. Appreciate it would be more complex but it could be awesome. Hell why not get the community to make objects, sounds etc for a Giant Bomb level?

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Vinny is the remaining hope of GB so yes, anything vinny does we will follow.

Deadstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they do more with Dreams. They didn't even talk about it on the bombcast which was really strange. It's such an interesting and cool game that's really doing something different. It's an incredible achievement.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrunoTheThird  Online

I think it would be very hard to find a way to focus something as malleable as Dreams into a cohesive series, but a Playdate would be great here and there.

Or a miniseries, sort of like Get On My Level called "Dive in our Dreams", where they play some community creations and some of their own.

Deadstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be very hard to find a way to focus something as malleable as Dreams into a cohesive series, but a Playdate would be great here and there.

Or a miniseries, sort of like Get On My Level called "Dive in our Dreams", where they play some comunity creations and some of their own.

Love this idea. Even just playing through stuff would be fun.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A basement stream once in a while would be ok. Especially if he digs in and does something weird.

For more regular streams I'd hope to see playing more rather than creating, and also not just Vinny. Alex + Vinny would probably be good or maybe cross-coast Brad + Vinny.

Or maybe something where two crew members each bring something they made and then play the other's, though honestly this one would probably work best with Dan + Vinny (except I doubt Dan would have had the patience to make much in Dreams).

MrCaseyJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I just want Vinny to see my Dreams! Notice me Vinny-sempai! I have had quite a lot of acclaim in Dreams (ahem, nominated for creator of the year by Media Molecule’s own award show, ahem), yet all I would want is for GB to feature one of my many games on a stream (and then hire me to be the Dreams Editor of the site)! Is that too much to ask?

plinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would totally watch it but I also have no idea how they would go about doing it. Building a thing really slowly? Playing people's levels in between? It seems like a difficult thing to figure out. But I'm definitely interested!

ThetaFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but the title made me come here immediatly. PLEASE make a dreams series with Vinny.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A whole series, I think there would be a lot of "down" time where not much was happening. But if Vinny is willing to go really in-depth with it, I think this could turn into something a little different, like a Quick Look "series" where he shows each of the major aspects of the game for a half hour or so. That way the series would be in digestible chunks that were easy for people to find if they want a specific detail about the game.

davidfox1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like some others have said, rather than his “journey” creating something, I’d like a semi-regular series checking out the state of the community.

I think that kind of show might suit Jeff a little more though.

Maybe it might take a similar approach as Get on My Level??

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of those games the introduction is so daunting I'm not even sure where they should even start.

Isslander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Yes I would.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I echo the sentiment that I'll watch anything with Vinny on. But one or two episodes would do it, there's no need to play so much Dreams