brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By brukaoru
No Caption Provided
Full-Size View: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/12478/873536-communitypagemockup.png

This is an edited version of the new wiki page mock-up design by Snide. Basically taking stuff from the Users->Activity Feed page and adding some more community oriented stuff. Bombing Run calendar, user of the week, what everyone is playing and some community spotlights. Not a very good mock-up, looks quite plain and I forgot to put the date and times on the posts within the feeds. I'm probably missing some things, but this is just to get an idea for what a community page might look like.

I also added a separate forum to the bottom that can be used for community-only things such as the Bombing Run, don't know if that idea would be good or not.

And yes, that's supposed to be 'spotlights' shooting out of Luchadeer's eyes, not red laser beams. >_>
albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By albedos_shadow

That would be fricking awesome. It would make finding Bombing Runs and  good blogs so much easier. Also, Levio is User of the Forever, not just the week.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

I like the User of the Week. lol

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

Not bad. Not bad at all.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By albedos_shadow

I like the calendar, too. Just noticed it.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Endogene
LordAndrew said:
"I like the User of the Week. lol"
Made me laugh quite a bit when i saw that.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate

Awww bless! you even added levios :D

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

User of the Week is funny!!!

OH SNAP!!!  THERE'S A CALENDAR FOR BOMBING RUNS!!!  Sweetness!!!
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By mattbodega

Wait a minute. Hold the phone.
Did you take Snider's mock up and use it to create a mock up of a community page?
THAT'S AMAZING! YOU'RE THE BEST BOMBER EVER, Bru!
Three cheers for Irn Bru!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Nice. I like it.

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By bekern

Wow this is great! And I got that the eyes were spotlights, very cute :P.

So I'm guessing your idea is to have the page updated by moderators? Because I know the reason why users are doing the community is a threat article now is because the staff doesn't have time to pick out the community stuff. Also I know that you were probably just copying what was on the activity feed already when you put it in there, but I think having the forum posts be updated is sort of pointless since you could just go the the newest topics forum. Maybe if there was a way to choose which threads update on that page it'd be better. Great work though and the calendar/user of the week is a great idea :).

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Lookin damn good.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By tokyochicken

I like, I like.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Steve_C

Nice work. The community specific forum seems great aswell.

The only potential problem i can see is that the separation of community stuff may lead to some people missing it altogether. Like it might be confined to a smaller section of the users, as opposed to keeping stuff on the main boards where people will always see it and may get more people involved. Still, i imagine topics will keep appearing in the 'newest topics' board, so it doesn't matter too much.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Hamz

<3 my Irn Bru :)

Great stuff and I would really love to see a community page for this sort of thing where users can contact Mods to get stuff added to the calendar for events and such like. Really like seeing the user of the week thing aswell. Great stuff Bru !

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By kush

Looks pretty nice...I also love the User of the Week.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

I suppose the biggest problem with doing that though it would cause a lot of resentment in those who never get selected as User of the Week. I'm not looking forward to the "Why wasn't I picked?" threads.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By albedos_shadow
LordAndrew said:
"I suppose the biggest problem with doing that though it would cause a lot of resentment in those who never get selected as User of the Week. I'm not looking forward to the "Why wasn't I picked?" threads."
Oh, fuck them.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail

Levio never encouraged anyone to buy Mount & Blade. He tried but he caused people not to buy it.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By brukaoru

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

bekern said:

"So I'm guessing your idea is to have the page updated by moderators? Because I know the reason why users are doing the community is a threat article now is because the staff doesn't have time to pick out the community stuff. Also I know that you were probably just copying what was on the activity feed already when you put it in there, but I think having the forum posts be updated is sort of pointless since you could just go the the newest topics forum. Maybe if there was a way to choose which threads update on that page it'd be better. Great work though and the calendar/user of the week is a great idea :)."
Correct. I would not expect the staff to be able to update the page consistently being that they have so many other things to do. The mock-up was made under the assumption that users would be able to edit what content shows up on the page. In other words, if they didn't want to see the Activity feed on the Community Page, then they could change that.

Steve_C
said:
"Nice work. The community specific forum seems great aswell.

The only potential problem i can see is that the separation of community stuff may lead to some people missing it altogether. Like it might be confined to a smaller section of the users, as opposed to keeping stuff on the main boards where people will always see it and may get more people involved. Still, i imagine topics will keep appearing in the 'newest topics' board, so it doesn't matter too much."
The community thread would integrate into the forums just like the others do, it's just also on the bottom of the community page itself. It's not separation, more-so, instead of posting community events like the Bombing Runs in "General Discussion" it would go into "Community". The Community thread would also be added to the "main boards," so it would be easier to navigate from the forums themselves. 

LordAndrew said:
"I suppose the biggest problem with doing that though it would cause a lot of resentment in those who never get selected as User of the Week. I'm not looking forward to the "Why wasn't I picked?" threads."
Of course that would happen. I'm sure that already happened when GiantBomb had the user review spotlight feature. Lots of worthy people for the title and only one could be selected at a time, doesn't mean others aren't worthy. Well, it's just an idea, anyhow. 
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Karmum

This would be great if I wasn't mentioned in the picture -- take me off of it. Or do something!

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By serbsta

Looks really good, hopefully we get to see this soon. :)

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brukaoru
Karmum said:
"This would be great if I wasn't mentioned in the picture -- take me off of it. Or do something!"
You're bothered with having a top spot? To be honest, I'd love to have a feature where you can turn off showing up on top forum posters. Maybe you should pitch the idea to someone. :P

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Rowr

awesome

Im looking forward to modifying my profile to be as impractical as possible!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Karmum
brukaoru said:
"Karmum said:
"This would be great if I wasn't mentioned in the picture -- take me off of it. Or do something!"
You're bothered with having a top spot? To be honest, I'd love to have a feature where you can turn off showing up on top forum posters. Maybe you should pitch the idea to someone. :P
 "
I was hoping somebody else would do it. I had a certain woman in mind. Surely a woman's job!
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Steve_C

Indeed. By not being on the main boards, i just meant general discussion and the like, rather than being excluded from the column of boards altogether. Some people might stick to a couple of boards and  may rarely bother to access the community board. But like I said before, the 'newest topics' board negates the problem somewhat.

I'm only considering this from the perspective that back on gamespot i've never really accessed the 'community' tab, though the integration with the forums on here would make it much easier, not to mention the stronger community vibe makes me want to access all that good stuff in the first place.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By RHCPfan24

That looks awesome...and the user of the week! Moon would be proud.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Black_Rose

Wow that's really awesome, and the fact that my name appears twice makes it even more awesome. +1, i like it a lot.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dalai

Change the spotlights to laser beams and I'm sold!  Looks amazing.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ThomasP

Sweet. Great job Bru.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nice design and layout man, love the calender idea, and the user of the week is the perfect pick.

NinjaSquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By NinjaSquirrel

That's actually really cool. Good job Brukaoru!
Especially Levio.