Parents let kid drop out of school to focus on guitar hero!

• 63 results
and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By and333
Parents let kid drop out of school to focus on guitar hero!

Read, Laugh, Cry , Discuss!

I think its very dumb even tho professional gaming is a good source of income now of days, but your parents are there to stop you from doing stupid shit like this. They could have at least waited till he was 18 and then let him do whatever he wanted. I dropped out when I turned 18 cause I hated school Inow have my GED and am joining the army. looks like thats gonna be this kids only option, that or flipping burgers!
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

Very lucky kid... For now. When Guitar Hero popularity drops and the franchise is discontinued and this kid grows up not knowing how to make it in the world, he'll have a pretty rough life. Way to go parents!

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DualReaver

I'm not sure what to say but...
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

....Ha.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Read this earlier today, the title is really misleading tbh.

It's not THAT bad when you think about it, he is still getting his education, and training to get more money in gaming tournaments... win win IMO.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DualReaver
Sentry said:
"Read this earlier today, the title is really misleading tbh.

It's not THAT bad when you think about it, he is still getting his education, and training to get more money in gaming tournaments... win win IMO."
I read the article, about his home tutoring but it's still stupid as hell.
Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vyse_Legends

Holy crap muffins you gotta be kidding me!:o

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By suneku

What's he going to do with all those guitar hero skills after guitar hero fades away

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By and333
DualReaver said:
"Sentry said:
"Read this earlier today, the title is really misleading tbh.

It's not THAT bad when you think about it, he is still getting his education, and training to get more money in gaming tournaments... win win IMO."
I read the article, about his home tutoring but it's still stupid as hell."
Yah hes totally only gonna be getting tutored like twice a week probably and play guitar hero all week......sounds fun at first but i'm sure it'll get old playing it all the damned time!
Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thunder

There Taco Bell's next employee of the month

Yay Parenting

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Giantkitty

Well one major problem is that in any sports (regular like basketball and video games as sport) is that the competition is cutthroat. Every city and town has their own Guitar Hero who can get perfect games with their eyes closed. Is he the best of the best of the ....? I don't know, but it's unlikely.

There didn't seem to be enough information whether his home schooling was for a diploma or a GED or just something so the truant officer doesn't come.

I can imagine him, five years from now, playing a Guitar Hero guitar on the street for money. "Play Freebird!" (yellow, yellow, red, orange, blue ....)

Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By Sharvie

ROFL. How sad, it's not like he's iamchris4life or anything. At least he has his feet on the ground in terms of his education despite claims he's the best Guitar Hero player in the world.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crunchUK

jesus what a waste of life... they should put a real guitar in his hands instead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is home schooling really that bad? Lol, I think you guys are overreacting tbh... if you ditched his gaming skills out of the picture it wouldn't be a big deal anyways, it's just home schooling, but since one of the reasons why is so he can get good at professional gaming to enter tournaments and win money, it's a sin? XD

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By and333
crunchUK said:
"jesus what a waste of life... they should put a real guitar in his hands instead"
Yah then he'd actually have a chance of being something in life, but even then its hard to make money.
Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shocker

Wow that is really stupid. I got bored of Guitar Hero after a couple weeks so i don't see this kid playing it all the time.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DualReaver
Sentry said:
"Is home schooling really that bad? Lol, I think you guys are overreacting tbh... if you ditched his gaming skills out of the picture it wouldn't be a big deal anyways, it's just home schooling, but since one of the reasons why is so he can get good at professional gaming to enter tournaments and win money, it's a sin? XD"
I really doubt he can make enough money to support himself, THE BEST or not.
With homeschooling education like this, he is a lot less likely to get a even decent job. Although by the sounds of the kid, he's an idiot anyway so it doesn't really matter.
As someone said before.
Thunder said:
"There Taco Bell's next employee of the month
Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vlademir

Parents seem to be getting dumber and dumber...

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By and333
Sentry said:
"Is home schooling really that bad? Lol, I think you guys are overreacting tbh... if you ditched his gaming skills out of the picture it wouldn't be a big deal anyways, it's just home schooling, but since one of the reasons why is so he can get good at professional gaming to enter tournaments and win money, it's a sin? XD"
The article does not say home school it says "in-home tutors" tutors aren't full time so even if he does his education out of the tutors it'll take him more then 2 years because the main focus is gonna be on Guitar Hero.
ItalyCanadian9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By ItalyCanadian9

No more school!

henjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By henjin

Hahah, good luck later in life.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Mushir

Great example of bad parenting and stupid kids.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DualReaver
and333 said:
"Sentry said:
The article does not say home school it says "in-home tutors" tutors aren't full time so even if he does his education out of the tutors it'll take him more then 2 years because the main focus is gonna be on Guitar Hero."
Yeah, when I was really sick and was out of school for awhile, I got a home-tutor.
He only came 2 or 3 times a week for a few hours.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, people who think if he gets tutored instead of going to school will mean he will have a shitty future, are pretty retarded. You know what they even teach you in HS? And you act like gaming will be his only job in the future, as in his career, which I doubt. Gaming related? Maybe. But gaming tournaments? No..

ItalyCanadian9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ItalyCanadian9

Hey i was joking mates.

cepwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cepwin

What are these parents thinking??!!   If he's that addicted to GH his parents should be insisting he gets his school work done first and very possibly be limiting his screen time.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DualReaver
Sentry said:
"Lol, people who think if he gets tutored instead of going to school will mean he will have a shitty future, are pretty retarded. You know what they even teach you in HS? And you act like gaming will be his only job in the future, as in his career, which I doubt. Gaming related? Maybe. But gaming tournaments? No.."
Lol, at dude who thinks a guy who drops out of school, who thinks he can live on his Guitar Hero skills and is only getting tutored so the cops don't come knocking on the door; has any kind of reason or enough intelligence to land a decent non-minimum wage job.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crunchUK
and333 said:
"crunchUK said:
"jesus what a waste of life... they should put a real guitar in his hands instead"
Yah then he'd actually have a chance of being something in life, but even then its hard to make money."
yes but at least it's a skill and it is very gratifying and mor eimportantly it LASTS.
TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By TimeWaffle

dumb idea you can't make that much money

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By and333
Sentry said:
"Lol, people who think if he gets tutored instead of going to school will mean he will have a shitty future, are pretty retarded. You know what they even teach you in HS? And you act like gaming will be his only job in the future, as in his career, which I doubt. Gaming related? Maybe. But gaming tournaments? No.."
Dude there are standards to get your Diploma that need to be upholded and he won't get all his credits in some time by just having a tutor come to his house for a few hours to teach him stuff. Hes gonna have to get his GED in the future which theres nothing wrong with that but that still leaves College and news flash college aint cheap. HS gives you opportunities to get scholorships that will pay for college so you don't have to work 2 jobs to pay for college!
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By xruntime

Really bad decision. Guitar Hero ain't gonna last forever. When you're older and your reflexes aren't as good, what the heck are you going to do? That's not to mention that he might not even make it big now.

I'm not even going to bring up the argument about how video games are solely entertainment.

People take video games way too seriously!

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By DARKIDO07

*sigh*

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By and333
xruntime said:
"Really bad decision. Guitar Hero ain't gonna last forever. When you're older and your reflexes aren't as good, what the heck are you going to do? That's not to mention that he might not even make it big now.

I'm not even going to bring up the argument about how video games are solely entertainment.

People take video games way too seriously!"
Agreed! Video games are here to be fun last time I checked and people seem to forget that. Anytime you decide to make something you like your profession you lose the enjoyment of that thing.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By brukaoru
Sentry said:
While it does not necessarily mean that he won't get a decent job or have a career, dropping out of school is not a good way of going about it. I believe by doing this, his parents are setting a bad example for him... That you can get by in life by playing games...Some people might be able to make a living off of doing stuff like that, but they really need to have something to fall back on or they are just setting themselves up to have financial problems later in life.
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34  Edited By OGCartman

Lol Newb

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Blu_Magic

Lucky kid..for now.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By OmegaPirate

Heheheh

GH kid
"hey baby i can play TTFAF backwards with my eyes closed - wanna marry me?"

Girl
"ummm - maybe - do you think youll be able to support a family - get a mortgage and look after kids and a dog if we go all the way?"

GH kid
"What difficulties that on?"

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Ugh...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Don't worry, guys. Eventually he'll start playing Heroin Hero, his popularity will drop and he'll go back to school.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Blu_Magic
OmegaPirate said:
"Heheheh

GH kid

Girl
"ummm - maybe - do you think youll be able to support a family - get a mortgage and look after kids and a dog if we go all the way?"

GH kid
"What difficulties that on?""
lmao, good job.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OmegaPirate

thx ^_^

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By Karmum

Stupid kid or stupid parents? Maybe both. Sure, it sounds nice, but he'll get beat soon, and what will he have to fall back on? Nothing. I wouldn't mind doing that, but couldn't he wait 2 years to graduate high school at least?

Besides, "professional" gamers probably are not that much better than your normal player who plays a game constantly. I don't want to sound even more of a douche, but this kid won't get very far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karmum said:
"Stupid kid or stupid parents? Maybe both. Sure, it sounds nice, but he'll get beat soon, and what will he have to fall back on? Nothing. I wouldn't mind doing that, but couldn't he wait 2 years to graduate high school at least?

Besides, "professional" gamers probably are not that much better than your normal player who plays a game constantly. I don't want to sound even more of a douche, but this kid won't get very far."
Neither, maybe you are?
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Blu_Magic said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"Heheheh

GH kid

Girl

GH kid
"What difficulties that on?""
lmao, good job."
Nice, great post.
Supreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Supreme

Epic fail.

MLG Halo 3 top prize isn't even that much, and that is the flagship game of MLG. I wouldn't imagine any other "professional" league offering much more since others aren't as popular. 

Pro gaming is the dumbest idea ever. There isn't much money to make, and if you do win money, you have to cut that in half due to other expenses such as traveling.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DualReaver
Sentry said:
"Karmum said:
"Stupid kid or stupid parents? Maybe both. Sure, it sounds nice, but he'll get beat soon, and what will he have to fall back on? Nothing. I wouldn't mind doing that, but couldn't he wait 2 years to graduate high school at least?

Besides, "professional" gamers probably are not that much better than your normal player who plays a game constantly. I don't want to sound even more of a douche, but this kid won't get very far."
Neither, maybe you are?"
Sentry please explain how you think the child and the parent's decision isn't a stupid one?
and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By and333
DualReaver said:
"Sentry said:
"Karmum said:

Neither, maybe you are?"
Sentry please explain how you think the child and the parent's decision isn't a stupid one?"
Yah I have no clue why hes defending this kid and his parents so hard. Someone made a bad choice in this situation!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DualReaver said:
"Sentry said:
"Karmum said:

Neither, maybe you are?"
Sentry please explain how you think the child and the parent's decision isn't a stupid one?"
I wouldn't say it's STUPID, I just don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. House tutoring? Big deal? It's really not, but since supposedly it's for GH, it's a big deal lol.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DualReaver
Sentry said:
"DualReaver said:
"Sentry said:
"Karmum said:

Neither, maybe you are?"
I wouldn't say it's STUPID, I just don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be. House tutoring? Big deal? It's really not, but since supposedly it's for GH, it's a big deal lol."
As the article said, if he was the next Beethoven or Phelps perhaps it'd be understandable to let your child drop out and just have a home tutor.
Letting your son drop out of school because he whines too much, and thinks he can live off professionally playing Guitar Hero is just stupid.

And as And33, made the point many times home tutoring is going to really make his future very difficult.
DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49  Edited By DARKIDO07

Staying in school  is one of the most important things ever if you want to make anything over $20,000 a year. (Except apprentice ships)
Major League Gaming is still fairly new, and thus it has yet to gain any real popularity outside of the gaming world, and even the people in sometimes disown it. Now if  Major League Gaming was as big as the MLB that would be one thing, but it isn't. That kid isn't going to make much money. MLG is more of a side-job if anything else.

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By BlindEffekt
suneku said:
"What's he going to do with all those guitar hero skills after guitar hero fades away"
My thoughts exactly.
The thread made me facepalm