Hob released today. Is anyone else looking into this Runic game?

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Wandrecanada

As a big fan of the Torchlight franchise and Runic's style I'm kinda looking into this game. However I'm also looking at Steamworld Dig 2 and I only have time for one of these games before the season kills my gaming schedule.

Since the marketing blitz on Hob seems to be nonexistant are there any duders that can speak to the quality of Hob? Does it stack up to other top down action games?

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mach_go_go_go

It's great. Only a few hours in, but this is maybe the best Zelda-like since Darksiders.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Reviews seem to be good. This quote from Eurogamer is actually hard to believe:

"Intricate and ingenious, Hob is a true spiritual successor to A Link to the Past."

Only thing is there seems to be framerate issues on both PS4 and PC, though it's hard to tell how big of a problem it is because some say it's bad and others say it's no big deal.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only thing is there seems to be framerate issues on both PS4 and PC, though it's hard to tell how big of a problem it is because some say it's bad and others say it's no big deal.

Seems they've already patched the performance to be at least somewhat better.

Got Ruiner to play through at the moment, but I might give this a try later on.

Bamse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it a grinder?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I bought it as soon as I knew it was the Torchlight devs.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By tatsuyarr

I was but it's not currently released on Xbox One so not anymore.

But I've just found out it's available on GOG so I'll certainly buy it soon ^^

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am several hours in.

I am loving it so far. It has elements of Zelda and Tomb Raider with that great Runic Games look to it. My only problem so far is that I occasionally am not clear on where to go next.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wandrecanada

Ended up getting it and then beating it (it was really good). It's kinda like Darksiders gameplay but in the Torchlight 2 engine. Probably the most striking feature turned out to be the sense of scale and how the world itself moved and shifted.

The game was a fantastic playthrough on PC but beware some graphical hitching. I think the game was trying to render too much of the map when the camera was shifting around. Otherwise A+

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

add this onto the pile of games i'm waiting for a switch release on

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game was a fantastic playthrough on PC but beware some graphical hitching. I think the game was trying to render too much of the map when the camera was shifting around. Otherwise A+

I noticed the hitching as well on PC. They just put out a patch that seems to fix that, though.

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wandrecanada: how long did it take you to beat it? Interested in this, but there's just so many games out right now...

maureliuswolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat it in 9 and a half hours while collecting most things.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosesaredan: Looks like my Steam played time is 9 hours. I got about 75% lot of the collectibles but I did miss 2 secret areas since I never managed to aquire they keys. I think I know what those keys are but I wouldn't want to spoil.

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosesaredan: Looks like my Steam played time is 9 hours. I got about 75% lot of the collectibles but I did miss 2 secret areas since I never managed to aquire they keys. I think I know what those keys are but I wouldn't want to spoil.

Nine hours? Wow. I just checked my Steam time, and it is 18 hours. I think I am 75% of the way through. I am making an extra effort, however, to explore and try to find as many secrets and collectibles as I can, and the map is massive.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

After reading this thread I looked into it and read reviews. Purchased it right after reading them.

Have not had a chance to play it yet though.

Thanks for the awareness!

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aethelred: Yeah I charged through the content fairly quickly so I could get some time in with Cuphead but I for sure missed a number of non critical path goodies. I did not manage to do any full upgrades to anything so that shaved a lot of time off searching and exploring. I will probably go back and find the rest during the winter break.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

My wife is digging this game and I think I'm gonna end up playing it too. I love the art style.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone is still having issues with frame rate on PS4 (and honestly, this is by far the worst case of chugging I can remember in any game I've ever played), saving, closing the game entirely and firing it back up seems to fix it. Yes, that's a pain in the butt, but I'm digging the game enough to justify it every few hours.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks cool but i think i read that it could get kinda aimless trying to figure what to do next which is something i can't stand in games anymore. Fell off hollow knight for a similar reason, just no patience anymore i guess.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: There are markers on a map for those who want to know where to head next unlike Hollow Knight. Only at one point in the game did they not flag your next location and it did stump a few players from forum chatter I've read. But for the majority of the game it's flagged pretty well.

You may need to use some creative thinking in how to get there however.

CapnThrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beat it last night. I really enjoyed it. The spectacle and the exploration felt really rewarding for most of it. Kind of wish there was more endgame content, I really liked being in that world.