Metal Gear Scanlon 3 : Dan-eater Waiting Room

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As someone who always appreciated the craziness of this series but hated the way it

Controlled to the point of not actually Beaton any of them I have thoroughly enjoyed this series and can't wait for the next one especially the even more bizarre cast of bosses in this one.

Anyone else have any title suggestions?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

What part of the way the games control do you hate? I had a bit of trouble adjusting to MGS 1 when I played it for the first time earlier this year but all the other games have been fine.

toisul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By toisul

I've been hoping and waiting Drew would get to MGS3 since this whole Metal Gear Scanlon feature started. I don't think I could do any better on coming up with a name though.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

The Cold War setting is something I felt Drew would love. Hopefully this one resonates with him, especially since he's getting a hang of the gameplay and 3 gives you so many options.

I'll be watitng patiently, I hope Drew takes the time he needs to come down from 2.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: My only worry is that it seems like Drew was extremely reliant on the radar in the last two games and Snake Eater's Rader is not good as either as the previous games radar.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: Yep, but I feel everyone was in that situation upon release. Soliton radar was a huge crutch in the first two.

In general I feel that 3 requires a good grasp of the mechanics. It's why whenever I hear "should I play the games chronologically" I warn people about jumping straight into Snake Eater.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@oscar__explosion: Yep, but I feel everyone was in that situation upon release. Soliton radar was a huge crutch in the first two.

In general I feel that 3 requires a good grasp of the mechanics. It's why whenever I hear "should I play the games chronologically" I warn people about jumping straight into Snake Eater.

I started the series with Snake Eater and it was difficult but it wasn't overly so. I just had to pay attention to sound queues and patterns more.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: I am willing to bet that if Drew didn't feel like he had to keep some kind of pace because of being recorded then he would be more willing to play more cautiously to make the lack of radar in MGS3 not a problem.

PollySMPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The lack of a radar in MGS3's original release made it feel almost unreasonably difficult at times. Subsistence's camera makes that game BY FAR more playable and though not having the Soliton radar will definitely mess with him, it's not hard to adapt to the motion detector. It's really a matter of how vigilant he'll be about keeping his camo index in the 75-90% range to remain hidden. That does get tedious and I can see that bogging it down for him.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Corevi

@pollysmps: Tiger stripe camo will keep you at 75% most of the time.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@pollysmps: MGS3 in general is a much slower game then 2 or 1 with having to deal with the Camo Index, lack of a Soliton Radar, having to deal with Snakes health in general (A hunger meter and having to deal with stuff like broken limbs) having things like silencers and radars having limited uses before needing to find a new silencer or battery.

I really wonder if Drew will have enough patience to deal with all of those systems at the start.

PollySMPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@corevi: Ah. I was pretty obsessive at keeping mine at 80-85% when I was doing a no-kill run a long time ago. At 75% when dudes walked by me laying in tall grass or when I tried to make certain moves in certain maps, they'd still notice me from time to time. I figure he'll get it figured out though. It's intimidating at first is all.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Aegon

started playing through Peace Walker. I realized that I feel most cozy in Metal Gear when I'm sneaking around in a jungle / forest. Feels so badass crouching behind an object among the greenery, with my tranq gun, spying on some fools about to get ballooned.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone else hope that once they've made their way through the Solids that they tackle Metal Gear Rising? I'd kind of love to see Drew witness that ending. :P

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: I would really like them to, but Dan seems to not like Rising for absolutely no reason.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@meatball: that game is so short, i hope he does as a fun bonus.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Corevi
@mrfluke said:

@meatball: that game is so short, i hope he does as a fun bonus.

It's like 6 or 7 hours your first time through. Another hour if you do the Sam DLC. Never play the Blade Wolf DLC, it's bad, though the final boss of it is new and cool.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: I just finished that game for the first time last night. I was having a good time up until that last boss. Fuck that shit. I got him eventually, but god damn it was a motherfucker.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Corevi
@oscar__explosion said:

@meatball: I just finished that game for the first time last night. I was having a good time up until that last boss. Fuck that shit. I got him eventually, but god damn it was a motherfucker.

He's not that bad once you get his tells down and figure out how to stop him from regaining health.

Once you've figured him out he's actually one of the easier bosses in the game since most of his attacks are pretty slow.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
@csl316 said:

I started the series with Snake Eater and it was difficult but it wasn't overly so. I just had to pay attention to sound queues and patterns more.

In MGSV there is no indication as to what phase the soldiers in the area are in (alert, searching, combat) apart from sound/music queues and small messages that appear in the bottom right part of the screen when phases change. So I hope Drew gets used to paying attention to his surroundings from now on, instead of the UI.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pollysmps: MGS3 in general is a much slower game then 2 or 1 with having to deal with the Camo Index, lack of a Soliton Radar, having to deal with Snakes health in general (A hunger meter and having to deal with stuff like broken limbs) having things like silencers and radars having limited uses before needing to find a new silencer or battery.

I really wonder if Drew will have enough patience to deal with all of those systems at the start.

If anything I'd say Drew is probably the most likely person on the site to actually get into systems heavy games, the guy got in deep with DCS.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
@oscar__explosion said:

He's not that bad once you get his tells down and figure out how to stop him from regaining health.

Once you've figured him out he's actually one of the easier bosses in the game since most of his attacks are pretty slow.

Wait are we talking Volpin, Shagohod or The Boss here? I don't think I found any of those fights particularly hard, I didn't even know there was a health recharge mechanic in those fights. That being said I always do Stamina damage on Volpin and The Boss since those actually seem to be more effective.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Corevi
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@corevi: Well honestly my biggest problem was that I was absolutely terrible at timing my parrys.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Well honestly my biggest problem was that I was absolutely terrible at timing my parry's.

Ah, yeah. I had a lot of problems with that originally but I played the demo like 15 times before the game came out and got pretty good at it.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually started replaying them myself. I'm on 2 right now, and I gotta say the first two definitely have clunkier controls then I remember. It takes a while to get used to and it's fine once you do. But overall the controls just feel stiff and somewhat outdated. Still enjoyable games though. Also makes me sympathize with Drew more during the frustrating moments he had playing through the first two. Luckier, the controls and mechanics improved with each sequel IMO. Can't wait for MGS 3. That one is probably my favorite. It's also the one I started with when I first played the series.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

MGS3 is the most anime of the Metal Gear Solid games. I'll be interested to see what Drew makes of that.

I also hope that Dan makes him pick MGS2 as his favorite metal gear game at the beginning because I think the opening is funny when you choose that.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

Best but most complex and difficult game in the series. This is gonna be painful for Drew. I've been playing it on the VIta and forgot how much of a step up 3 is.

And I'm with the others, 2 and 4 are the bad ones. Although at least 2 has the Tanker and the trippy Colonel.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: MGS4 is WAY more anime than 3. There's some ridiculous nonsense in 3, but it doesn't even come close to the over-the-top cheese of 4.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Corevi
@cornbredx said:

MGS3 is the most anime of the Metal Gear Solid games. I'll be interested to see what Drew makes of that.

4 is way more anime (Every time Raiden is onscreen, Mt. Snakemore), and Peace Walker is even more anime than that.

Loading Video...

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: I felt like I could not get it to do what I wanted to when I wanted it to, conversely I loved the way splinter cell controlled, I always wished that mgs played like splinter cell

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@privodotmenit said:

Best but most complex and difficult game in the series. This is gonna be painful for Drew. I've been playing it on the VIta and forgot how much of a step up 3 is.

And I'm with the others, 2 and 4 are the bad ones. Although at least 2 has the Tanker and the trippy Colonel.

The real list for best games in the series is:

Peacewalker/Rising

2/MG/MG2

Portable Ops.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: I also started the series with snake eater and had some trouble with the controls. Once you get the hang of them there is no way you want to stop playing the game.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethphotopoulos: I'd agree if 4 was fun to play and didn't have 90 minute cut scenes. I can take long cutscenes but not 90 minutes of Kojima's dribble

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethphotopoulos: I'd agree if 4 was fun to play and didn't have 90 minute cut scenes. I can take long cutscenes but not 90 minutes of Kojima's dribble

I legit love Kojima's stuff and 4 was the best playing until 5. When that cutscene came up I enjoyed every damn minute of it.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@garris said:

As someone who always appreciated the craziness of this series but hated the way it

Controlled to the point of not actually Beaton any of them I have thoroughly enjoyed this series and can't wait for the next one especially the even more bizarre cast of bosses in this one.

Anyone else have any title suggestions?

Dude......I dont think it should be called Drew or Dan eater....it raised some very very strange imagery.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@privodotmenit said:

I legit love Kojima's stuff and 4 was the best playing until 5. When that cutscene came up I enjoyed every damn minute of it.

Everything post fake-out in that cutscene sucks because apparently Kojima wanted Snake to go through with it and shoot himself but the development team thought that was a terrible idea so instead they resurrected Big Boss for the 15th time and had him exposite at you for 25 minutes.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By cornbredx

@corevi: @zeik: I haven't played 4 yet, but I guess I stand corrected haha

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kasaioni

@corevi:

It was only the second time, and even at the end of MG1 it was explicitly shown that he hadn't died. So it was really the first time.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

@corevi:

It was only the second time, and even at the end of MG1 it was explicitly shown that he hadn't died. So it was really the first time.

I was being hyperbolic and chronologically he "died" in Ground Zeroes and was resurrected in Phantom Pain before MG1.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kasaioni

@corevi:

Oh yeah he flatlines for a few minutes (or seconds?) and then falls into a coma, but that's hardly on the level of being reconstructed from Solidus and Liquid. I wouldn't call it a resurrection.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: A coma that lasts a fucking decade and he gets Zadornov's dumb robot arm out of.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
@sethphotopoulos said:
@privodotmenit said:

Everything post fake-out in that cutscene sucks because apparently Kojima wanted Snake to go through with it and shoot himself but the development team thought that was a terrible idea so instead they resurrected Big Boss for the 15th time and had him exposite at you for 25 minutes.

I think having Snake break the cycle by living his final days out in peace rather than continue to propagate war like his kin was a fitting way to end the story. If Snake had killed himself it would've been a good ending to the story but not the best one. Also Big Boss deliver's one of my favorite dying lines "This is good isn't it." Yeah BIg Boss coming back was silly but then again so is the entirety of Metal Gear. If you didn't like that I don't even know why you would even play these games. That was also the only time he was "resurrected." And I don't know about you but my eyes were glued to the screen during those 25 minutes because what he was explaining was interesting. Maybe a bit clumsily handled but interesting.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There's so much story stuff up front in that game. I'm also pretty curious to see how Drew deals without the radar. I found it a lot easier to shoot my way out of situations the first time I played 3 (I've finished it 6 or 7 times) I wonder if we'll see Drew doing that also.

I hope to someday see Drew feed on a tree frog.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By korwin

There's so much story stuff up front in that game. I'm also pretty curious to see how Drew deals without the radar. I found it a lot easier to shoot my way out of situations the first time I played 3 (I've finished it 6 or 7 times) I wonder if we'll see Drew doing that also.

I hope to someday see Drew feed on a tree frog.

Minimal stamina recovery. It tasted terrible.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By super2j

@pollysmps said:

The lack of a radar in MGS3's original release made it feel almost unreasonably difficult at times. Subsistence's camera makes that game BY FAR more playable and though not having the Soliton radar will definitely mess with him, it's not hard to adapt to the motion detector. It's really a matter of how vigilant he'll be about keeping his camo index in the 75-90% range to remain hidden. That does get tedious and I can see that bogging it down for him.

Still being relatively new to the MGS series, I wanted to get snake eater but waited half a year as soon as I heard Subsistence would add a "proper" camera. I am so glad I did, very worth it. I remember toggling back to the original camera and just hating it. It is strange though, that game worked beautifully with the behind the back camera, you would think level design might have suffered by trying to accommodate 2 very different angles, I at least would expect a glitch or two.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#48 FinalDasa  Moderator

Would it behoove me to play through this title before Drew and Dan start this up?

I've played maybe the 1st hour or 2 of this last year but nothing else. Would I be lost and shaking my head like through MGS 2? Or would I be entertained at the ridiculousness as in MGS 1?

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@gunstarred: I'm not far into Snake Eater so far, but I also have found it much easier to shoot my way out of things. Conversely, I have a harder time avoiding guards. Not so much because of no radar, but more due to guards walking closer to my little grass patch than I expected, or getting bitten by a snake while hiding, etc.

I find myself feeling like it's bullshit when I get seen as opposed to my lack of care, but then I shoot everyone and it winds up being a wash anyways.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think what we need to be doing from now until Metal Gear Scanlon 3: Dan-Eater finishes is campaign for the guys to reconsider and play Peace Walker. I know its got monster hunter grindy elements, but its a great game ( Might even be my favourite Metal Gear) and has a lot of important story follow up for MGS3.

Dan said early on they wont be doing Peace Walker and I think that's a mistake, especially since they play it on Ps3 with the HD collection now.