With Metroid Dread out, are you ready for a shakeup in the Metroid formula? *Dread spoilers I guess*

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero  Online

So Metroid. A series that finally came into its own on the Super Nintendo with Super Metroid (1994), then fully skipped the N64 due to internal Nintendo politics or whatever, then had a pretty action-packed 2000s with Metroid Prime, Fusion, Zero Mission, Prime 2, and Prime 3 (2002-2007). Then 2010's Other M, followed by nothing until 2017's Samus Returns (2 Remake), and 2021's Dread.

I bring up the timeline, because I think Metroid is one of those series where it's on such unstable footing that fans are afraid Nintendo might quietly shelve it forever (the F-Zero treatment). It certainly seems like Other M was almost a "they killed Mass Effect" moment for the series, unless you want to tell me there was some master plan to Nintendo not releasing a new entry for 7 years.

I liked Metroid Dread, but it's a pretty standard Metroid and I'm afraid fans are simply happy that the series still even exists. My personal problem is that I want the series to evolve a little more, do something a little different. Metroidvanias have tried different stuff over time, but Metroid Dread feels like such a direct sequel to Metroid Fusion that you'd think Dread could've been a 2008-2010 era Wii game. There's been a whole renaissance of indie Metroidvanias in the 2010s, and Metroid is pretty firmly sticking to its traditions. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I have heard from quite a few people that Dread was their first Metroid so it's all new to them, but generations of gamers coming and going doesn't excuse Metroid being sorta the same every time.

Metroid Prime 4 is still an unknown, but it stands to reason that it's going to follow the Metroid Prime formula and please the fans of that subseries.

Looking forward to whatever Metroid game comes after Prime 4 (presumably from Mercury Steam):

One possible shakeup: do something that isn't quite 2D, isn't quite 3D again, like Other M. Ideally with a much better story, and a dodge move that isn't weirdly overpowered, and maybe Metroid doesn't need Metal Gear Solid 2-length cutscenes. That game was a lot of failures, but I appreciate that it was swinging for the fences and trying a bunch of weird perspective/gameplay ideas out for the series. More misses than hits, but I wish Nintendo would take risks with semi-dormant series more often.

Another possible shakeup: keep it 2D, but maybe it's time to get some new powers, or change Samus' core movement/attack in some major way. It's a little disheartening that most of the powers in Metroid Fusion/Metroid Dread are pretty much verbatim Super Metroid powers. In the same way that I think Zelda got too reliant on pulling out the old favourites (arrows, bombs, boomerang, hookshot, etc.) in every single entry, Metroid devs seem to feel obligated to include just about every Super Metroid item. I was weirdly excited by the end of Metroid Dread, where Samus' Metroid DNA fully awakens and changes her suit into this crazy clawed organic monstrosity. "Oh shit, is Samus going full Kerrigan, Queen of the Zerg? Is the series called Metroid because from now on, YOU ARE THE METROID?", I excitedly asked myself. No, they chicken out 10 minutes later and a parasite ghost birdman purges Samus of the Metroidiness. Seriously though, look at this (spoilery) dumb anime shit:

SPOILERS

No Caption Provided

SPOILERS

It would've been a significant visual rebrand, but if they had committed to that change, the next game would have to acknowledge it and probably swap out some of her base abilities for something a little more unusual. Regardless, Dread kinda closed the book on this era of Metroid, so it seems like they're going to have to introduce some new antagonist or conflict, so hopefully they use that opportunity to also do something different with the gameplay and upgrades.

While we're talking upgrades/collectibles, I think the Metroid collectibles situation is dire. In the past I would've said they're fun to search for, but the process is a little more dull in Dread. Mostly you just shoot missiles at random corners of the room that are suspiciously empty or out-of-the-way, and if it's too crazily hidden the game instead gives you a flashing box on the map saying "item here, you dipshit." I'll say I had a much more engaging time using abilities in inventive ways to find hidden areas and access new collectibles in something like Hollow Knight or Axiom Verge 2. In Dread, 90% of the collectibles are visible but obviously gated by a certain ability and once you return with the ability it is pretty trivial to get the collectible, and the other 10% are gated by a convoluted shinespark/speed booster sequence. Man, the shinespark thing seems like such a relic of clunky SNES game design, I'm amazed it even lived to see Metroid Fusion. The idea that they still think those puzzles are particularly fun in 2021 is insane to me. Please retire that mechanic.

And then the collectible reward itself is like 2 missiles. Spoiler alert for Metroid Dread: you probably never need more than like 100 missiles. Enemies drop them all the time, you have analogue aiming unlike Super Metroid and Fusion so you'll probably misfire in boss fights way less often, and also just about every boss gives you health/missiles as you progress through the phases of the fight. The energy tanks are nice, but at a certain point all the missile tank/power bomb expansion pickups are meaningless overkill, and I wish the collectibles had a little more oomph to them. Lots of other Metroidvanias have done different things in this regard - I encourage Metroid to try something new.

In closing, I can understand Metroid: Samus Returns playing things pretty safe with being an expanded remake of a Game Boy game, but as much as I liked Metroid Dread, I still think it plays things extremely safe with most of the gameplay and abilities. It feels a little stale, like I'm just playing a slightly snappier 90s platformer. They could be doing more. I liked Metroid Dread, but at the same time I think it's the last time I need to play a traditional-style Metroid.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

but it's a pretty standard Metroid and I'm afraid fans are simply happy that the series still even exists.

...I am happy that the series still exists.

So my knee-jerk reaction to this idea is that there are so many Metroidvanias out there trying so many different things and shaking up the formula that I'm A-OK with Metroid just being Metroid. I like Metroid, I like it as-is and always have. I'd say that I might change my tune if these things release yearly, but I've played Super/Fusion/Zero Mission so many times over the years that I know them like the back of my hand. I'd happily run through the same thing with a new coat of paint every year, and leave all the experimentation and "Metroid but x" ideas to everyone else. Essentially, I'm telling you that I like my comfort food just the way it is, thank you very much.

I feel like Dread did shake things up a bit, though. Not much, but they significantly changed the way Samus's movement feels. Some would say for the better, but I don't think it's any better or worse. Just different. Dread's movement is faster, looser, more chaotic than any previous 2D Metroid (except maybe Samus Returns, which I frankly did not like playing).

And then the collectible reward itself is like 2 missiles. Spoiler alert for Metroid Dread: you probably never need more than like 100 missiles. Enemies drop them all the time, you have analogue aiming unlike Super Metroid and Fusion so you'll probably misfire in boss fights way less often, and also just about every boss gives you health/missiles as you progress through the phases of the fight. The energy tanks are nice, but at a certain point all the missile tank/power bomb expansion pickups are meaningless overkill, and I wish the collectibles had a little more oomph to them. Lots of other Metroidvanias have done different things in this regard - I encourage Metroid to try something new.

This is resolved with some kind of difficulty bump. Metroid Zero Mission's hard mode made you take a lot more damage, only gave you two missiles per power up instead of five, and only gave you fifty extra energy per tank instead of a hundred. The normal game balance is intended for people who are going to pick up whatever they can along the way and finish the game without going for a hundred percent, which is why the games become absurdly easy when you find 3/4 of the pickups on normal difficulty (although I'd argue that some of Dread's bosses can still put up a stiff challenge even against a player checking every nook and cranny).

EDIT: Regarding Shinespark puzzles - one of my complaints was that Dread relied on them too much. Pretty much all of the endgame difficult-to-get items are Shinespark puzzles. I agree that it's time to try something else, but I do like some good Shinespark puzzles. Just not an overreliance on them.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If they plan to let Mercury Steam make a new Metroid every 2-3 years, then yes, they need to shake up the formula. But if Metroid games are going to be a once per generation sort of thing, they could probably stick to the usual formula.

As for Prime 4, on the one hand I just want more Metroid Prime. On the other, it would be cool to see the series bring in more modern immersive-sim elements, something like Prey.

But really, just make the games good, and I'll be there.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By wollywoo

Agreed with all these points. I *loved* Dread, but I'd like to see them shake up the formula a bit. I think they should go the more open route of a Hollow Knight, with lots of optional side-quests/bosses, many different possible orders for powerups, and many different ways to get to item-gated areas. I'd also like to see more creative powerups. Too much of Dread involved blowing up tiles requiring specific powerups in a very rigid way such that they might as well be key cards like in MGS or Doom. I'd like to see more "soft" item gates where you can use the item in a more interesting way to solve a puzzle.

I also found the shinespark puzzles very annoying because the shinespark itself is finicky and difficult in a not-so-fun way. And also, please stop requiring me to press like five buttons at the same time.

But overall, Dread was great and I don't feel like they need to change the formula in a massive way. Just give me a bit more freedom.