If there were a minecraft 2/massive patch, which of these would be your most wanted feature?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BestUsernameEver

Poll If there were a minecraft 2/massive patch, which of these would be your most wanted feature? (79 votes)

Greater draw distance 4%
Better water and lava physics 3%
More things to do (other than building and surviving) 24%
Better multiplayer options (No need for a personal server, faster connection, more optimized LAN play) 9%
A greater focus on creative play 1%
A greater focus on survival mode 11%
Available through Steam 9%
A use for NPCs 3%
More achievements 0%
Story mode 3%
Separate planets to build on, allowing you to build your own ship and build elsewhere in the universe 25%
Other 9%

With the massive success of Minecraft, plus Notch's move in separating himself from Minecraft and moving onto different ideas, I think the core team could possibly make a huge patch or sequel. Although there is a loyal crowd playing the game, some things are missing that are pretty disappointing. Like building a city and not needing to be pretty close to it to see the entire skyline, just having an improved draw distance would give a much greater feeling of scale. Or when I fly directly up, why not go into space and build on the moon? These are pretty huge things that might require re doing the entire thing, but that's the point, if given all that mojang money, what would make Minecraft that much crazier? Also, I know it'd be easy to say all of the above, but this is for what is highest on your priorities.

• 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

More things to do and better online. I fell in love with the game really hard for a good 20-30 hours but then it dropped off almost instantly. The magic of that game at first was the not knowing. The idea that there could be anything out there in this world for me to find if I just dig/walk far enough. I just kept myself in the dark for as long as I could and let my imagination take me to places the game sadly never could. Eventually I started reading up on the game and quickly realized how there really isn't much of anything in there to do.

I want there to be random encounters in the world. I want to be out and about only to stumble across a village that has people and stories. I want to dig and suddenly have it open into a network of caves with demons or hostile enemies that I have to fight. I guess I want an RPG set in a world where at any time I can make whatever my perverted mind can imagine and have the npc's of the world react and interact with it as it weaves itself into their fiction. So basically I want the impossible.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I want more stuff to do and a greater focus on survival. Give me incentives to build a well fortified home. Basically, take some more influence from Dwarf Fortress.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SSully

I want more stuff to do and a greater focus on survival. Give me incentives to build a well fortified home. Basically, take some more influence from Dwarf Fortress.

This. It would be nice if the AI could actually breach your house. Actually giving you a reason to build traps, or get good weapons.

Also I liked the simplicity of the PC multiplayer where you just input the IP and that is that, but I would really prefer a server browser/better hosting client.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Building your own ship in Minecraft, and making it work a la LittleBIGPlanet, and flying it to space sounds pretty awesome.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SexyToad

New mobs would be awesome. Horses are being added I believe and I wouldn't mind seeing some new hostile ones.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Get it off Java and make it run on C++.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vextroid said:

Yeah that was probably his biggest mistake, I assume that's why online play is less than intuitive for casual players.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:

Building your own ship in Minecraft, and making it work a la LittleBIGPlanet, and flying it to space sounds pretty awesome.

Adding a kerbal space program element to minecraft could really be incredible. Just think about flying into space, latch onto an asteroid and build your own planet with it's own gravitation pull, then steer it into your friends planet and explode everything. I know it's ambitious, but man, that'd be insane.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vextroid said:

Seriously this.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By RandomHero666

I voted other, because it's the closest thing to 'all of the above'

also dump Java
also, all of those except the steam thing are available right now with mods

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Triangles and/or smaller pieces. Better multiplayer options would be nice, though.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By envane

well notchs next game is a space sim with crazy customization and your spaceship has a fully emulated 16 bit cpu with its own quirks and programming idiosyncrasies ..

so im pretty much keen for that .. as far as all the other features they are mostly already available as mods , .. you want an extra hardcore pseudorealistic survival experience ? Try terrafirmacraft . Want a bigger focus on building or many many cool machines? Try one of the various mods like buildcraft / railcraft / forestry / industrialcraft / computercraft etc .. all of which are conveniently located in the Feed the Beast modpack http://feed-the-beast.com/ .. still mostly on 1.4.7 due to slow updates , btu a 1.5.1 version should be available soon .

one of my favourite mods that just adds stuff to do is called Mystcraft , it allows you to spawn infinite new dimensions with crazy random properties and eventually collect the "pages" that define these dimensions then bind them together into a book that creates a new world with the selected properties , like a single extreme mountains biome with iron ore tendrils growing out of the hills , and a dark sun and pink clouds etc etc etc ..

id love to see an upgrade to the graphical engine however it wouldnt require a minecraft 2 .. plus i gather that that versioning will be reserved for some sort of full size expansion or upgrade anyway ..

just my 200 cents

also if you want to build from the ground into space + have massive draw distance and substantially better graphics , check out starforge , its clearly way too early in aplha to tell if its going to succeed or just be another minecraft clone ... but it looks promising ... early minecraft was incredible limited too.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would like a "workshop" feature ala steam that makes it easy to install and enable/disable mods

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted other, because it's the closest thing to 'all of the above'

also dump Java

also, all of those except the steam thing are available right now with mods

There's a minecraft planet mod?

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By RandomHero666

@bestusernameever: Yeah it's still in development though.

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/lapitos-galacticraft.4030

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slaegar

The insanely well made mods pulled me back into minecraft in a big way. At some point in vanilla minecraft you get all diamond stuff and pretty much win at the progression. Stuff like FTB and Tekkit give you much more to push towards. Getting a quarry going that mines to the bedrock in a 64x64 square and needing to secure some sort of fuel for it is a lot of fun. Finding oil, then converting into fuel and pumping into engines along with water to keep them cool will keep you so busy you hardly go into caves.

Fiddling with Thaumcraft magic was a lot of fun until I cheated a block labeled "unknow" into my inventory to see what it did and promptly crashing my game. Now I can't log in for more than a few moments into that game. Oh well. That's on me.

(edit: if this happens to you. You can use the command "/clear playername" to get rid of all items in your inventory so I get to keep playing after all :D)

The mods are way to complex to put into the base game, though.

I'd like to see the game off Java though.

Brandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I had never thought about the idea of traveling to other worlds / planets before, but I do admit that would be pretty cool now that I think about it. Really though, I'm simple. I would just like a larger variety of individual blocks to build and design with, without having to play FTB, for example.