Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NieR:Automata

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 23, 2017

NieR: Automata is an action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix for PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows and Xbox One.

How's the loot?

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I guess the title says it all. My sick brain lately cannot justify playing a game that does not have some sort of "carrot on the stick" loot/RPG system.

So, how's the loot? I heard Alex say in the quick look that it's not exciting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This is not a game to play for loot.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's not that kind of game.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zeik

It's not a loot game like that. Weapons are in static locations, shops or chests. The closest thing to that would be plug-in chips that randomly drop from enemies, but you're not ever looking for rare plug-in chips from enemies. You just get what you get and make use of it.

Not sure why you need, or want, that kind of system in every single game, but you're not going to get it here.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

There's a limited amount of weapons, they are all unique and in static positions. The loot aspect focuses more on upgrade materials for the weapons, some of which are rare as fuck. But yeah the carrot on the stick in this case is completionist mentality basically. A lot of sidequests and hidden chests.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Diablo this is not. There are plenty of weapons to buy and upgrade though. You can equip basically a Weapon A and a Weapon B and that determines the types of attacks and combos you have. There's a few things like upgrading your pod and changing out the special it has (like shooting out a powerful laser or creating a protective shield around you).

So there's stuff like that. Think more Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden. There is equipment, but this is not a "loot game".

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should get nioh if you haven't already .

Cronstintein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man I wish Nioh was on PC, I'd be all over it :(

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By daiphyer

@lestephan: I do not have a PS4. I'd be all about Nioh if it was on PC.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TobbRobb

@crommi: The combat actually seems to have more in common with Devil May Cry than Platinum stuff. If you dash out of the launcher (jump+heavy) low to the ground, you can get some absolutely insane juggles going. And those games were always much more about diversifying movesets rather than focusing on combo strings. Donguri of DMC4 fame has done good work in NieR, but sadly his videos tend to have huge spoilers in them. And for the record, this is not what the game looks like for 99% of people, he is just absolutely crazy good and creative. I beat it by doing light > light > heavy with dual swords and dodging my way through the game.

Spoiler warning

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.