Should I trade in my Vita for $85 in credit towards the Switch?

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By DriveupLife

Poll Should I trade in my Vita for $85 in credit towards the Switch? (143 votes)

Yes 43%
No 57%

Gamespot would give me $85 for my Vita if I traded it in this week. I checked ebay and Vitas are selling for right around 80 to 100 dollars so it's a pretty fair offer. I don't play any vita games but I wanted to for some reason I could pick up a vita TV for $30, but there are very few coming out.

Should I go through with this? Thanks fam.

UPDATE: After much consideration, I did indeed trade in the vita for the $85. I felt pretty good about it, and I kept my memory card in case I wanted to buy a Vita TV.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I would say neither of those are worth keeping around right now. Ebay your Vita for 85-100 and pocket that cash.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@takayamasama: I could pocket the cash for sure, but I'm definitely getting a switch at launch. Surprisingly, I'm going to use it as a Nintendo emulator since I haven't bought virtual console games ever. And I'll be playing Breath of the Wild of course.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never sell your hardware unless you need to to eat. Really, what's $85?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That's dumb... 85 dollars is 85 dollars, much more useful than a Vita he doesn't play.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This is my logic as well. Yeah you can get a PSTV for stupid cheap (the only reason i got one), but it wont work with all the games. The money you get for selling a console never seems worth it in the long run compared to keeping it, unless you honestly don't see yourself ever using it again. But i also collect and hold on to my games, so take that as you will.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By EthanielRain

I've pretty much always regretted selling my old hardware, eventually. I actually rebought a Vita recently...it's just a great way to play certain games :)

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese said:

That's dumb... 85 dollars is 85 dollars, much more useful than a Vita he doesn't play.

If you're looking longer than a week or two, $85 is basically nothing. You never know when you might want to play something on a Vita.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't speak for you, but for as much of a punching bag as the Vita has been (like the PSP before it), it has a lot of great games on it and I could never imagine parting with mine.

On the other hand, I'm usually in favor of not keeping stuff that's never going to get used.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No, the Vita has so many great smaller games, along with Muramasa: Rebirth

Avatar image for dan_rob_campbell
Dan_Rob_Campbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

It's a question of "Can I buy the Switch without it?" If you can, then no, you shouldn't trade it in. There is some great content for the Vita that you'll likely not be able to play again, even when the system starts getting emulated (the dual touch screens will make it super hard).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@hunkulese: Agreed. I've pawned a Wii U and a Vita to pay bills, and I've traded in stuff to buy more games/hardware. I regret the trading stuff in way more. I wans hoping to buy them back from the pawn shop, but money stayed tight.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Why would you trade it in if you can get a higher price by selling it yourself online? If you've got a couple of games to include with it, you could easily get a hundred dollars.

Also, the price of used Vitas has probably plateaued, where as the Switch will surely come down in price during or right after the first year. So maybe just wait for the Switch to be cheaper?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a question of "Can I buy the Switch without it?" If you can, then no, you shouldn't trade it in. There is some great content for the Vita that you'll likely not be able to play again, even when the system starts getting emulated (the dual touch screens will make it super hard).

Bringing up the dual touch screens is a bit of a stretch. I'm a huge fan of the Vita and still can't think of more than a 2 games that require the back touch, and even then I'm not sure. I know Tearaway used the back touch and maybe Uncharted. I can't really think of any great Vita games that even required touch.

Avatar image for dan_rob_campbell
Dan_Rob_Campbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@dan_rob_campbell said:

Bringing up the dual touch screens is a bit of a stretch. I'm a huge fan of the Vita and still can't think of more than a 2 games that require the back touch, and even then I'm not sure. I know Tearaway used the back touch and maybe Uncharted. I can't really think of any great Vita games that even required touch.

For me, both those games are good enough to justify hanging onto it. That being said, there are plenty of games that use just the one touch screen and even the accelerometer. Can you emulate those things on a PC? Sure. Can you emulate them well with a hand held device that will also act as a controller...how THAT'S a bit of a stretch. :-)

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Bones8677

Wait and see.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm guessing you're considering getting rid of your Vita because you don't have or never wanted Persona 4 Golden. Voted 'no' because that my system keeper.

Also, $85 is too low. I'd try to sell it for $125 at the very least.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WynnDuffy

If you have a PS4 or plan to get one the Vita is a great device due to the amount of games with cross play.

Do you have an original model? Those are slowly becoming kind of cool to have because they are rare due to being replaced quickly and of course not selling a lot to begin with.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I would say no, but then I would also never trade in hardware.

If you're someone who genuinely never goes back to old stuff and has zero attachment to it, then I guess why not.

My other argument would be that if you *need* that $85 towards the Switch to afford it, then I wouldn't recommend getting a Switch right now anyway. There's every chance they'll come down in price over time anyway so don't buy in while there isn't much to justify it if you're tight on cash. In that scenario you could pick up a bunch of cheap, great games on the Vita in sales. If you have the money anyway and just think that you'd rather have $85 than a nice piece of hardware and the ability to play Vita games, then you could trade it in and maybe someone else will get use from it.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever a game store does a "trade in for X credit", you can almost be assured you can sell it for more on ebay.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sounds like you don't want or need a vita. I don't like to get rid of my hardware anymore, but if you think you would get more use out of some switch controllers, then go for it.

Avatar image for physicalscience
physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@driveuplife Over the winter break I ended up trading my Vita in for cash since I was poor lol. That was like a month ago and this is the first time I even thought about it so I think no matter what you do with it, $85 is pretty decent for that thing and I would get rid of it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By glots

That sounds like a lot for a Vita, though I guess there's a 20% trade-in bonus or more in some cases...but it's also not *that* much like some have already said and you could try getting a bit more from ebay or such. Of course I don't know if you have any games for it anymore and if it's a new or an older model. I feel like some might want the original one cause of the OLED display.

Then again, if you're not using it currently and haven't done so in a while, I'm 90% sure that you won't be missing out any amazing exclusives at this point either if you'd get rid of the thing.

Also screw PSTV. I regret buying that thing even for 35€.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I have a Vita and am planning on getting a Switch at launch. I still play my Vita almost everyday and there are several games coming out in the near future that I want to play on it, so I personally would not trade in my Vita. If you don't like the system and see yourself never playing it again then go ahead and trade it in. However $85 is really only going to pay for the sales tax of the Switch and a single game, if you are that tight on money then I would just save up and get a Switch later. Also if you are thinking about buying a PSTV, I would highly discourage that. Speaking as someone who owns a PSTV, that system is a piece of garbage and it only plays some of the Vita's library (the new Shantae game for example does not run on it).

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Only if there are games you might want to revisit, which are basically a couple of JRPGs, visual novels, and having mobile versions of indie games for me. I wouldn't sell mine, but I don't have much of an argument for someone if they want to sell theirs.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Persona 4 Golden alone without taking the entire Vita+PSP library into account, is worth more than what the Switch is currently looking to offer in my opinion.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By MezZa

Are you going to use the vita to play Persona in the future? If yes, keep it. If no, trade it. That's where I am with my vita. There are some other games on it you might want to look into if you want to keep it. Otherwise, why do you have it? Trade it if you really aren't going to use it again.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: I could pocket the cash for sure, but I'm definitely getting a switch at launch. Surprisingly, I'm going to use it as a Nintendo emulator since I haven't bought virtual console games ever. And I'll be playing Breath of the Wild of course.

Stop right there. Nintendo has been very quiet on what exactly their Virtual Console line up is going to be. Wait until Nintendo finally gives some details before deciding to put down money for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff: 100% second this. As someone who has bought Virtual Console games on my Wii and WiiU and 3DS, it fucking sucks how little they support or care about the people who buy those things. Whenever I do get a Switch, unless VC gets an insane overhaul and they vow to make games account wide for the future of Nintendo as a company, I'm not touching a single VC thing. Jeff's thoughts on the matter are absolutely the right ones, in my opinion.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I want that Vita... :)