• 73 results
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

As a religious, straight edge kid, I've never done any of the cool things in highschool. for example, smoke, weed, drink, etc. Thus I would find myself often bored at parties where everyone was doing those things. Now  that I'm in Uni, its a bit different, since I don't have much time for parties, and I have more friends like me. anyways, the reasoning behind these activities have always left me bewildered, mainly alcohol. 

Why drink alcohol? 
When I think of this question, I start thinking of why I drink the drinks I drink. whether it be juice, or pop, or water. The main reason humans drink is for quenching thirst and nourishment. but since we are so advanced, we make up drinks that also taste good! Thus, our basic need is satisfied so we have the luxury of satisfying said need while also enjoying it. Awesome, sign me up. so we have these drinks like juice and what not. And I guess thats why i drink those things, for the taste. But is this why people drink alcohol? I understand wine might have fine taste, hell theres a whole science to it. but what about beer? It smells like shit, and no one I know tells me that beer tastes good. So it cant be the taste that people drink it.  

So the obvious answer would be to get drunk. For some reason people enjoy losing control. I would find it terrifying. On top of that they throw up, wake up hung over, teenagers even need to acquire the alcohol illegally. WHY?! just to get drunk? This makes no sense to me. any teenagers here, can you indulge me and answer my question?  

But being drunk cant be the only reason. Older men drunk beer when they are watching the game, or just chilling. So its not to get drunk. then why? Do they get used to the taste and enjoy it? Or is it to get a bit tipsy? I really don't understand. I'm sure many people here drink and know the answer to my question so please help me. 

I can understand why people drink wine. Science recently discovered that a glass of wine a day is healthy for you. But drinking beer still blows my mind. Considering the fact it doesn't taste good, it damages your body, and its addicting. why? unless beer truly does taste good and everyone I talk to is confused.  help me out here guys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a religious, straight edge kid, I've never done any of the cool things in highschool. for example, smoke, weed, drink, etc. Thus I would find myself often bored at parties where everyone was doing those things. Now  that I'm in Uni, its a bit different, since I don't have much time for parties, and I have more friends like me. anyways, the reasoning behind these activities have always left me bewildered, mainly alcohol. 

Why drink alcohol? 
When I think of this question, I start thinking of why I drink the drinks I drink. whether it be juice, or pop, or water. The main reason humans drink is for quenching thirst and nourishment. but since we are so advanced, we make up drinks that also taste good! Thus, our basic need is satisfied so we have the luxury of satisfying said need while also enjoying it. Awesome, sign me up. so we have these drinks like juice and what not. And I guess thats why i drink those things, for the taste. But is this why people drink alcohol? I understand wine might have fine taste, hell theres a whole science to it. but what about beer? It smells like shit, and no one I know tells me that beer tastes good. So it cant be the taste that people drink it.  

So the obvious answer would be to get drunk. For some reason people enjoy losing control. I would find it terrifying. On top of that they throw up, wake up hung over, teenagers even need to acquire the alcohol illegally. WHY?! just to get drunk? This makes no sense to me. any teenagers here, can you indulge me and answer my question?  

But being drunk cant be the only reason. Older men drunk beer when they are watching the game, or just chilling. So its not to get drunk. then why? Do they get used to the taste and enjoy it? Or is it to get a bit tipsy? I really don't understand. I'm sure many people here drink and know the answer to my question so please help me. 

I can understand why people drink wine. Science recently discovered that a glass of wine a day is healthy for you. But drinking beer still blows my mind. Considering the fact it doesn't taste good, it damages your body, and its addicting. why? unless beer truly does taste good and everyone I talk to is confused.  help me out here guys

dustbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dustbunny

First of all you do know that pint of beer a day is just as healthy as a glass of wine?

It's a acquired taste kinda like olives. Don't say they taste like shit just because you don't like them.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT
@dustbunny said:
" Don't say they taste like shit just because you don't like them. "
That's a totally reasonable reason to say they taste like shit.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kmdrkul

Alcohol is a great tool for loosening people up.  It gets people to be more social.  It's also fun to get drunk and grind on some girl at a club after a hard week of work/class.  For high school kids alcohol and drugs are popular because the age-old adage that whatever is illegal or taboo is something they have to try.  If there are laws against it, of course teenagers are going to break them.  

In terms of taste, for some people they really do enjoy the taste of certain drinks.  For me personally the only alcohol/cocktails I've ever found to actually be pleasant to drink are white russians and Southern Comfort.  My brother drinks disgusting Fat Tire beer all the time and he loves it.  My dad loves whiskey.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dustbunny: well I never tried it, like i said. I just hear it tastes bad. But is that the reasoning behind a man, going tot eh beer store to buy a 6 pack? "I need my dose of beer to keep me alive and kickin" I'm asking the reasoning behind peoples choices to drink beer.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

I think beer is easily the best tasting beverage out there.
Don't get me wrong, I like getting drunk and all but probably 7 outta every 10 beer I drink is for taste.
And like Dust said, beer isn't bad for you in a moderate amount.

Personally, I think pop tastes like shit, and it's horrible on your body, so why do people drink that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProfessorEss said:
" I think beer is easily the best tasting beverage out there. Don't get me wrong, I like getting drunk and all but probably 7 outta every 10 beer I drink is for taste. Personally, I think pop tastes like shit, and it's also horrible for your body, so why do people drink that? "
yeah? Well my questino is only valid since most people tell me they dont like the taste of beer. but if you enjoy it then it makes sense
dustbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dustbunny
@arab_prince: Well in my case if I want to get drunk I just buy some hard alcohol(vodka, rum, etc), but I drink beer more for the taste and because it's relaxing to have a cold one every once in a while. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dustbunny: so beer gives the person a relaxing feeling?
Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@dustbunny said:
" First of all you do know that pint of beer a day is just as healthy as a glass of wine?  It's a acquired taste kinda like olives. Don't say they taste like shit just because you don't like them. "
half pint bud
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss
@arab_prince said:

" @ProfessorEss said:

" I think beer is easily the best tasting beverage out there. Don't get me wrong, I like getting drunk and all but probably 7 outta every 10 beer I drink is for taste. Personally, I think pop tastes like shit, and it's also horrible for your body, so why do people drink that? "
yeah? Well my questino is only valid since most people tell me they dont like the taste of beer. but if you enjoy it then it makes sense "
I'm curious about your age, not in the judgmental way, but because most of my friends that truly love the taste of beer like I do didn't get there until somewhere into their twenties. Like wine, coffee, and salty licorice it takes time to develop the taste for it. 

That being said, a good question is why did we keep drinking this terrible tasting stuff until we started to like it?
The answer to that, was to get drunk.
bertmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By bertmasta

I drink it to relax, especially in a party situtation where i dont know people, it loosens the tongue and chills you out a bit, especiallly good for people like me who can be a bit uptight sometimes. As for weed, its just an experience, makes you feel good and different plus its not as harmful as alcohol
dustbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dustbunny
@arab_prince said:
" @dustbunny: so beer gives the person a relaxing feeling? "
Pretty much, yeah. Just depends how much of it you drink.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProfessorEss said:
" @arab_prince said:

" @ProfessorEss said:

yeah? Well my questino is only valid since most people tell me they dont like the taste of beer. but if you enjoy it then it makes sense "
I'm curious about your age, not in the judgmental way, but because most of my friends that truly love the taste of beer like I do didn't get there until somewhere into their twenties. Like wine, coffee, and salty licorice it takes time to develop the taste for it.  That being said, a good question is why did we keep drinking this terrible tasting stuff until we started to like it? The answer to that, was to get drunk. "
Fair question,  im 18, 19 in august. Well then i guess my next question would be, is getting drunk all that great/worth it?
WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Some people enjoy the taste of beer, while I personally don't there's plenty of drinks that I do enjoy the taste of. Just find one you do and stick to that.

As for the loss of control, wel some people do enjoy that but in moderate amounts alcohol just gives a mild feeling of euphoria and a pleasant dizziness. Try having a few beers/ciders/ shots of vodka at the next party/ next time your out with a friend and see the effects first hand. A couple of drinks isn't going to make any adult do anything stupid.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Brendan

Lol @ beer being good for you.  A large glass has the same amount of calories as a donut.  The "studies" showing beer being good for you are the same as chocolate being good for you.  Sure they both have a few antioxidants and/or vitamins and minerals in them, but those pro's are heavily outweighed by the cons of calories and fat.  Don't believe the hype.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Brians
@arab_prince:  getting drunk is not the best reason to drink. Drinking is something that helps people lose some of their social roadblocks. Also in my experience beer is nasty. One of the first things I tried was beer, people told me I wouldn't like it for a while but I needed to keep drinking it to like it. I didn't and found other things I like to drink. As for why people drink beer at things like ball games it's because it can be easier to measure your drunkenness with something like beer than with wine or hard alcohol.
Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By Davvyk

Get drunk and see why people get drunk

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam

I love the taste of beer. Then againt I love many bitter drinks, grapefruit etc. and I don't eat and drink much sweet stuff.

Wine is alright but I usually avoid it because it makes you sleepy really fast.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Renahzor

I enjoy certain beers, wine, some spirits, depends on what i feel like.  I drink only a couple times a month, and usually just a few beers or something to relax with some friends.  Everything in moderation. 

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By mazik765
@arab_prince:  Well I was like you until I was legal in first year university (drinking age is 19 here) and even now I am not a big party animal. But drinking socially is usually a good time as it tends to make things seem more entertaining. I'm not sure about losing control as I have never woken up and not remembered or been in full control of what I have done (beyond maybe vomit). 

Also beer tastes good but the taste can vary vastly depending on the brand. I can't stand beers like Canadian, but I love a lot of imported beer like Heineken. 

And in terms of damaging your body, here's a news flash: so does pop. If you were to decide that you were always going to drink what is the healthiest choice well....I hope you really like water.

That being said there's no need to drink if you don't want to, but that is why some people (like me) drink occasionally. Yeah people can be stupid about it and it sounds like some of the people you talked to were, but you can be dumb with just about anything.
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By guiseppe

Well, it's hard to explain to someone who hasn't tried getting drunk why it can be fun/nice to do so. Thing is, you really have to try it yourself to find out why people do it. Some people like it, others don't, I'm kind of at a middlepoint. I enjoy it sometimes, and sometimes I don't, but that may be because I often make the mistake of drinking too fast :P.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ben99

my first alchohol experience was wit two beers and a shot of whiskey . I didn't feel a thing :? Like I just drank water . It lead me to believe that alcohol is really overrated

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By tooPrime

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with drinking, but the drinking culture in college is a little retarded.  Drinking to get drunk is "cute" when you're 20, but if you did the same thing when you're 40 then they call you an alcoholic.  I will say, I think people like the taste because they associate it with inebriation.  Like if you got a blow job ever time you got punched in the face, you'd love getting punched in the face.  The taste of beer is obviously not like getting punched in the face, but I just wanted to make than analogy. 

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Andheez

Why do you drink?  TO GET DRUNK
Why do you roll smokes? TO GET STONED

Obviously people do these things because they are enjoyable....why, what did you think the reason was?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust

Alcohol loosens your inhibitions and lets you feel freer.  Worries are pushed aside and a pleasant giddy feeling replaces them.  People drink to unwind after a long day at work, or for some "liquid courage" at a party or on a date.  I'm sure some people drink because it make them feel more "adult".  Getting drunk is the ultimate stage to all of these experiences.  When you are drunk, your inhibitions are not only loosened, but completely gone.  Any action that would be flatly refused is excepted vigorously.  People find themselves dancing on tables, picking fights with much larger gentlemen and having unprotected sex with unattractive women.  This may sound horrible, but for some it is liberating.  Sometimes people need to break the rules and live dangerously.  To live free, devoid of hesitation and regret is a difficult thing for most people to do, however with a little alcohol in their system, they can have that adventure at least for a little while.   

I personally don't consume any alcohol anymore, but I've had my taste buds satisfied in my youth.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I wouldn't drink to get drunk, because if you do that you will be too aware and it doesn't work like a switch of "I'm not drunk and having no fun" DING "Now I'm drunk and having a great time", but I find being drunk makes me more sociable and often leads to funny events and such.

I used to be very "I don't need a drink to have fun" but I realised that like drugs, if you do it responsibly it can complement and evening.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JokerSmilez

As you get into your early 20s your taste buds do actually change you loose the affinity for overly sweet things and develop a taste for bitter tastes. This is why kids hate vegetables but love candy.

As you get older, you can appreciate tastes like coffee, beer, dark chocolate, etc.

Beer does taste good, but is an acquired taste, like the other things I mentioned above. Wine is also an acquired taste really.

Lots of people drink to get drunk (but if you're going to do that, beer is the worst way to do it - hard liquor is more efficient and you don't feel bloated and crappy). I don't. I have gotten drunk, but very rarely. I drink because loosening up a little bit with alcohol has it's advantages and it's appeals. For one, a stiff drink can take the edge off a rough day. It can lower your inhibitions enough to get on the dance floor, or talk to that hot girl.

I was a lot like you and didn't touch alcohol during high school because all I saw around me were people getting wasted, and that didn't appeal to me. As I got older, I realized that being completely opposed to all alcohol kind of cuts you off from a lot of social experiences. You don't get invited to parties, or bars, etc because a lot of times your friends just think you won't enjoy it. After all, having a beer with "the guys" after a long day, while watching sports, etc is one of the basic social interactions.

It actually didn't take me long to appreciate the taste of beer (I love the taste). Having a cocktail with dinner or on a date is great too (and doesn't have to taste strong or bitter, depending on what you order).

Drinking doesn't have to be about getting drunk. it can be about just loosening up a little bit or even just about not cutting yourself off from social experiences. Don't be afraid of it.

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PS3RG

I actually like the taste of "some" beer. Usually, I don't drink to get drunk, it's usually to just unwind a little after work. That being said, everybody is different and it may very well be that you may never like beer.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By skrutop

I remember when I was a teenager and thought that I knew everything.  It's only in retrospect that I realize how much of an asshole I sounded like.

Beer, for me, was an acquired taste.  And by that I mean that when I acquired good beer, it actually tasted good.  Now I'm a total beer snob, but I can't get enough of it - in moderation of course.  A lot of wines are absolutely fantastic, as are many of the varieties of hard liquors.  I used to hate rum, but - like beer, wine, vokda, gin, etc. - I found one that tasted great.  Now I like rum.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ

Thought it was pretty easy why people like it. 

It gets your drunk, and if you mix right, it tastes good.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Why not drink alcohol? 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HandsomeDead

The problem with alcohol isn't the alcohol itself, it's the people. So many people don't know their limits and turn into complete dickheads. Go on any student focused night out in England and you'll be walking through pools of vomit and collapsed scumbags by 4am. I wish I was joking or even exaggerating.

ysselzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ysselzor

you wont lose control from drinking a few beers 

but  arab_prince you have to try drinking at least a few times so you know what its about

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mano521

lets see. everyone drinks alcohol to get drunk.  but that means different things for different people.   i personally only drink hard liquor, like vodka or tequila and shit like that.   it makes me more sociable and fun to be around ive heard haha.  but also you forget about things that might be troubling you and lets you relax a little bit.   i dunno thats just me

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jinxman

Here's a teenager who likes to get drunk sometimes' answer.  First of all, if you haven't been drunk, then you have no comprehension of what it feels like.  And if millions of people like to do it, obviously there's something fun about it.  Personally I enjoy losing a little control and acting like an idiot.  That being said, alcohol doesn't suddenly turn you into a raving lunatic with 40 IQ and loose morals.  You have to already be an idiot for that to happen.  It's just fun man, I dunno.  It's a different kind of fun than any other experience can give you.  Honestly, I think everyone should get drunk once just to see how it is, so they can have some perspective.  Our class is planning senior skip day and a bunch of people are freaking the fuck out about the probable chance of alcohol being there, and it's really pissing me off. 

Edit:  And by the way, you don't always throw up and wake up hung over.  It's pretty easy to avoid both of those things and still get drunk.  To avoid throwing up, you don't drink an excessive amount, just like 4 shots.  To not get hung over, you drink a bunch of water along with the alcohol, because being hung over is basically just excessive dehydration caused by the alcohol, which as i said, can be avoided by drinking water. 

Also, your friends are correct.  Beer tastes like shit.  That's why i drink vodka.  Cause you don't have to drink nearly as much to get drunk.

Stabbers_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Stabbers_McGee

I'm 24 and don't drink. Not for religious reasons, more philosophical reasons I suppose. I personally don't like having my mind altered by any sort of substance. I was once on an allergy medication that made me loopy and hated every minute of it. I even had a panic attack in the middle of the night once. My feeling is, if I can't have fun somewhere or talk to someone without the help of drugs, then it isn't worth my time in the first place. It will be difficult for you at time in college if you choose not to drink. You can feel very alone, but at the same time, you just have to realize that alcohol is legal and it is every person's right to drink it (responsibly). I feel the same about weed. I'd never touch it, but if you want to in your home and don't drive afterward, that's your call. Most college kids are idiots. It's their first time away from home and they decide it is super cool to have parties every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Either don't go, or find a way to have fun there without drinking. Having another non-drinking buddy is always good. Finally, anybody who judges you for not drinking should not be your friend (the same goes for them if you are judging someone else for drinking).

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By Stang

I drink once a week, and hit it hard. Playing SF drunk is good times, especially against friends. Makes for funny ass youtube videos as well!

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ryax
@arab_prince said:
" @dustbunny: well I never tried it, like i said. I just hear it tastes bad. But is that the reasoning behind a man, going tot eh beer store to buy a 6 pack? "I need my dose of beer to keep me alive and kickin" I'm asking the reasoning behind peoples choices to drink beer. "
beer is gross, you want a real drink go with jack daniels, as for why alcohol is drunk, why not, its legal, its fun (sometimes) and it makes some ugly chicks look a little bit better. 
mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mshaw006
@arab_prince: Dude, I know exactly where you're coming from. I was the exact same way before college. My twin brother started drinking in high school, and It was extremely unsettling for me to see him act like what seemed like a different person after he had had some alcohol. I, like you, couldn't understand where the initiative was coming from. My basic question was, "When did you decide that you wanted this? Weren't we all OK without alcohol forever until now? Are you really all just doing this to fit in?" 

In college, I haven't found anything different from what I was suspecting back then. No one turns 16, 18, 21, whatever, and suddenly feels a need for alcohol. It's not something that humans naturally drink. It's a poison. Fruit juice and water are both things that are naturally occurring and hydrate us. They help us survive. Alcohol kills brain cells. 

People mainly drink alcohol to fit in and to "loosen up." Loosening up means lowering your inhibitions. It can make you more talkative, relaxed, etc. I think that this may be a benefit for someone who is naturally overly tense, or has difficulty making conversation in social settings. However, if you're you're fine, then you're fine. Trust your instincts, and take it from someone who's been there; if you're puzzled as to why people do it, then it means you don't need it. This society collectively believes that alcohol is something that, by definition, you want and is bad for you, and if you don't want it, there's something wrong. In reality, there's something right.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ahriman22

I'm a teenager and I will answer your question.  

I drink for two reasons. One is because I like my alcohol and two is to get drunk. I grew up/am growing up in a Portuguese family and for as long as I can remember all members of my family are wine fanatics. They analyze the taste, smell, texture, color, everything. They enjoyed it and when I turned 15 my Mom started to teach me the ways. Now I drink with her whenever she drinks whether it's martinis, wine, beer or whatever else. We like it, it's like drinking juice or beverages like that, you drink them because you like the taste. 

As for getting drunk, I rarely do that for one reason... It takes a lot of alcohol to get me tipsy and a bunch more to get me good and drunk. I don't lose control when I'm drunk, I have plenty of other drugs that can really make me go out of control (PCP). Getting drunk is just a way to have stupid fun. It's much different than sober stupid fun. I don't throw up when I'm drunk or when I'm hung over and when I am hung over, I just eat a greasy breakfast and smoke some weed to remove the nausea and headache and then I'm golden, or at least almost. 

As others have said, it's an acquired taste, you kind of have to force yourself through the initial bitterness and whatnot, but once you have acquired the taste alcohol is a beautiful thing.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TwoOneFive

jesus christ man. i would fucking hate to hang out with you and your friends. wtf do you guys do on a friday night? sit around playing videogames and shit? go get fucking drunk already. and go fucking smoke a joint. you're in college, the time is now to do these things. its a better time to try than in high school thats for sure. 

Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only drink hard liquor, but I have gotten a bit tired of getting drunk so I only have two or three shots worth of it. 
 Why do I drink? I find the head buzz to be enjoyable and the socializing that goes with drinking is always a chilled out experience.

If you ever start partying and drinking heavily, it will probably get pretty old in about a year or so.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TwoOneFive said:
" jesus christ man. i would fucking hate to hang out with you and your friends. wtf do you guys do on a friday night? sit around playing videogames and shit? go get fucking drunk already. and go fucking smoke a joint. you're in college, the time is now to do these things. its a better time to try than in high school thats for sure.  "
No need to lash out like that dude. Some people have fun in different ways, what you like to do might not be the same as what someone else likes to do. In response to the original post, I am in the same camp. I'm a teenager who's never drank, and mainly its because I know people (friends and family) that do binge drink and they act like idiots when they do. I am a very intellectual person, and the thought of acting like a moron like that horrifies me. It's hard to not be like everyone else, but you learn to deal with it, trust me on that.
arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By arkasai

I kind of share your bafflement at the  buzz surrounding alcohol.  For me, the high that it offers is more uncomfortable than fun.

I drink very lightly, mostly sake or wine with a meal.  I used to drink heavily in high school, even stole a great deal of alcohol for friends before I was of age.  But once I was legally able to buy it, I'd already moved on to weed.  I don't enjoy being drunk, for me drunkenness is a huge headache, stomach in knots, and general discomfort.  I feel fine with a little buzz though, which is as far as I take it these days.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#46  Edited By natetodamax

I think I'm one of the only ones in my school that hasn't consumed large amounts of alcohol.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By teh_destroyer

I don't drink beer because my body can't handle it, and i don't smoke weed because i don't like the idea of it. But i do love me some whiskey.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tally_Pants

Do you know what makes day to day activities twice as enjoyable.... an ice cold beer in ur hand! 
whether ur doing chores around ur house or watching hockey, nothing tops it off like a cold beer; i guess its just something you'll have to discover for urself one day. 
OH! Cold beer in a hot shower... so good! especially after a long day at work. 
and its not just beer. I enjoy the "hard stuff" too, they make the best drinks! it gets you buzzed and tastes good, since were so advanced and all!
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Elazul

I don't know where you're getting your info from, but most beer tastes pretty damn good to me. If I didn't enjoy the taste I wouldn't drink it.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By Rockdalf

I was in the same boat as you OP, but now I'm married with two kids.  When I was your age I didn't really see the pro's of drinking as all I'd heard about where the negative effects or lame justifications from those of my peers who did drink.  Plus it was a way of separating myself from a crowd in high school I didn't particularly enjoy hanging out with.

First drink was sake' (holy crap, bleh) when I was about to turn 21 at a new years get together.  Right now, I drink socially with my friends and enjoy anything from a LIT at a restaurant, to Rum and Coke w/ a cigar or a beer and pizza with some video gaming or dungeons and dragons.

If you're still curious about drinking and it's effects when you turn 21, get you some friends you already enjoy hanging out with (and who are of legal age) and do what you usually do together, only add alcohol (unless what you usually do is attend church singings or something).  In moderation, it can be a great tool to relax and another way to enjoy the company around you.  That is until you find the guy who turns into a douche with alcohol.

Good luck!