Alternate WATCHMEN Movie Opening Better Than Snyder's IMO

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SpikeDelight
Here's a video of how the WATCHMEN opening should have played out. If you read the discription of the video it also says that this way it would be a lot shorter than the way they did it in the movie too, which quells any arguments people made about "If they did it the way it was in the comic it would have been way too long."  This video (which combines the movie with the motion comic and intercuts certain parts that were separated in the translation to film) is exactly what I wanted from the adaptation of WATCHMEN, and what I think a lot of other fans wanted too. It obviously isn't perfect, since it has a bunch of music skipping and audio glitches, since the author didn't have the original video files before they were treated with music, but it gets the job done in showing what could have been. It also removes the inane fight scene between the Comedian and his killer, only showing what should have been included from the beginning. Typical Hollywood to add fights in place of more important things like Laurie's struggle or Rorschach's impact on the psychiatrist. 

Zach Snyder should really take heed of this video and recut the whole thing to be more true to the comic in the Director's Cut. He has most of the footage already, all he has to do now is edit it differently. Tell me what you guys think about the subject.

SPOILERS BELOW   SPOILERS BELOW   SPOILERS BELOW   SPOILERS BELOW   SPOILERS BELOW   SPOILERS BELOW   SPOILERS BELOW   SPOILERS BELOW   SPOILERS BELOW   SPOILERS BELOW

***   Edit For More Clarity On My Topic (from comments)  ***

On the subject of WATCHMEN though, everyone says, "Well, this is the best we were ever gonna get." I wholeheartedly disagree with that. Just because Snyder has made a film adaptation that looks very similar to the real WATCHMEN means nothing towards the fact that someone more talented could have done it better. Darren Aronofsky, Paul Greengrass and Terry Gilliam were onboard to direct the film before Snyder was. Are you saying they wouldn't have made better films had they chosen the 'direct adaptation' route? I think the film could have been much, much better, and that would have started with them removing all the extended fights and sex and instead focusing on the REAL storytelling. The main plotline was not even the important part in the comic, yet that's ALL that appeared in the movie. I think that's the exact opposite of "The best adaptation we were ever gonna get". I SINCERELY hope that in five or ten years someone who is more talented comes along and decides to make WATCHMEN again and does it right, if oly to right the wrong that as been done by Snyder.

In short, everyone wants to accept that this was the best possible WATCHMEN beacuse this version is so close visually to what any second remake would look like that they just figure that another remake of WATCHMEN would be an impossibility. I hope some brave and tanented soul throws caution to the wind and makes another version that (admittedly would look almost exactly the same) but has its heart in the right place.

"You need to realize that making a movie is different than making a GN. With a movie, you are going to need something to grab the attention of it's audience. You need to make them say "Holy crap, something exciting happened on the screen. Maybe I should be paying attention now." After that, you slip them some details that structure the plot. Snyder did just a fine job with the change he made. It was a little overly dramatic, but this is the guy who made 300... If he went with the original opening, he would have lost the audience before he ever had a chance to gain them. People who hadn't read the GN would be bored and not fully understand what is going on because they are asking their buddy next to them what kind of Superhero movie this was where it didn't show the fight."
That is very true. This pretty much sums up what I mean about it looking like WATCHMEN but not having the same heart as the comic did. WATCHMEN the comic intentionally set up the opening like that for this exact reason. It wanted you to know that you're not getting into some typical superhero fights bad guy story (even if there is the twist that the hero dies) and that this isn't what you would ever expect from a comic book. The juxtaposition of the two narratives at the start is dripping with bitter irony and sarcasm and everything past that point is told strictly from one of the would-be Crime Busters' point of view EXCEPT for Comedian. Not only does the movie break this rule in the first five seconds by showing you how Comedian saw the events, but it pretty much turns into EXACTLY what the comic was trying to hard (and succeeding) to ridicule. One of the reasons the comic broke boundaries was the fact that it always averted its eyes from any parts that had action and stuck to its guns by constantly telling its story from the outsider's point of view. This familiarity with every character BUT Comedian allows all the twists involving him to be that much more intense. You don't know what kind of man he is, and no one character is a completely reliable narrator concerning him. Make no mistake, Snyder ruined everything that the comic stood for by allowing something like this to see the light of day.

And no, him being the father isn't the only twist. There's also the hints in the comic that he might have killed JFK, which the movie difinitively spells out as well.

"Why does it have to be exactly the same as the comic?"
It doesn't need to be exactly the same as the comic, but it DOES need to have the same spirit. It seems that everyone who saw the film version had the meories of the actual themes in the comic pushed out by the ones the movie shows. The film hardly keeps any themes from the comic and the ones it does keep are either underdeveloped, inconsistent, or otherwise completely misunderstood by Snyder. He needed to take a much harder look at the source material before helming this project. Maybe if his interest in the actual story of WATCHMEN was as strong as his interest in the pictures he would have made a better film.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By REDRUN

You know what will be sick, the DVD/Blu Ray release. Theatrical Version and Graphic Noval Cut on the SE version is my guess. Zach Snyder did have tons of extra footage, but what was cut and altered to fit in a film format to convey the message the source material to fit into today's culture. I am pretty sure this would satify the fans who did want more content.

RyanD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RyanD

yeah that opening makes more sense. in the movie, it didn't make sense to have the two detectives because they really didn't serve a purpose, snyder could have just shown a scene of cops investigating and it would have the same affect, but the way it is put in this video gives the two detectives more purpose, because they are recapping how the comedian died (spoilers, not really whatevs).

if what i said doesn't make sense, i am sorry, it kind of came straight out of my head.
SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SpikeDelight
RyanD said:
"yeah that opening makes more sense. in the movie, it didn't make sense to have the two detectives because they really didn't serve a purpose, snyder could have just shown a scene of cops investigating and it would have the same affect, but the way it is put in this video gives the two detectives more purpose, because they are recapping how the comedian died (spoilers, not really whatevs).

if what i said doesn't make sense, i am sorry, it kind of came straight out of my head."
It makes perfect sense and that's exactly how I felt about it. Snyder seemed like he shot so much that he didn't really think about the cut that would show up in theaters (not the Director's Cut which is obviously the focus) and so everything in his WATCHMEN feels like it started something and either never finished it or didn't flesh it out enough to make it satisfying by the time it did finish. Hopefully this is actually because all this extra stuff will be in the Director's Cut and I really hope we get the detectives and the psychiatrist and Bernard's speculations but right now all us fans really can do is hope for the best. I really want to tell myself also that the Director's Cut won't only be longer, but will be more of a "Fan's Version" where they cut out all the extra fights and longer sex scenes so they can tell the story the way it should have been told. This scene from my original post is one of the parts I hope they rework for the Director's Cut but again, since there's really no evidence to support my theory, that's all I really can do at this point: hope.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Um...I think Snyder's was just fine.  I don't think that I need someone telling me that the chain was fastened when I saw it bust on the fucking screen in the movie, and I also don't need someone to tell me that the chain being fastened meant the occupant was home at the time.  I have a brain of my own and can figure that out...and especially since, ya know...I SAW THE COMEDIAN IN HIS HOME BEFORE IT HAPPENED!!!

I just wish they would've cut down the fighting a tad bit, that's all.
SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpikeDelight
jakob187 said:
"Um...I think Snyder's was just fine.  I don't think that I need someone telling me that the chain was fastened when I saw it bust on the fucking screen in the movie, and I also don't need someone to tell me that the chain being fastened meant the occupant was home at the time.  I have a brain of my own and can figure that out...and especially since, ya know...I SAW THE COMEDIAN IN HIS HOME BEFORE IT HAPPENED!!!

I just wish they would've cut down the fighting a tad bit, that's all."
I get what you're saying but you're missing the point of the comic juxtaposing the narratives. The real point was the irony of the guys saying "He had to have put up some kind of fight" where the panel is showing him getting the crap beat out of him or where the bellboy says, "Ground floor, coming up." while the Comedian gets thrown out of the window, an ironic statement as well since the Comedian is, in a way, on a fast track to the ground floor. If you think the way the film did it was more subtle then you were missing something about the way the comic did it.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Otacon

I don't think there was anything wrong with the beginning, was interesting seeing a different take on things. Even though I would have loved things to follow the book page for page, a film needs to work a little differently. 

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yuck. Looks like someone took that shitty motion comic and edited it into the actual opening. The live action just doesn't mesh well with the motion comic.

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpikeDelight
Everyones_A_Critic said:
"Yuck. Looks like someone took that shitty motion comic and edited it into the actual opening. The live action just doesn't mesh well with the motion comic."
Well, yeah I said that's what the video was and the author's description on the page says that too. It's just to show what could have been in the movie, filling in the blank spots with the motion comic.

My point though is why does the movie have to "work a little differently"? To fill a quota of fight scenes? There is literally no benefit to spreading all these parts out in the movie other than to get a complete fight between the Comedian and his killer. Then Rorschach doesn't even narrate over the part where the camera goes up the buiding, he does it later when he finds the button. I just think it was pointless for Snyder to have done it the way he did because it served no intellectual purpose to change the formula. Filmmakers usually change something because they think it would work better in the translation to their medium, this worked worse and actually dumbed down the work as a whole. 

I'm really not trying to flame the movie here, I want to have a serious discussion with you guys on the subject. While I do strongly dislike the film version, that doesn't mean I'm straight up bashing it. Sorry if it comes off that way.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By teh_destroyer
Otacon said:
"I don't think there was anything wrong with the beginning, was interesting seeing a different take on things. Even though I would have loved things to follow the book page for page, a film needs to work a little differently. "
Ding ding,we have a winner!
SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpikeDelight
teh_destroyer said:
Ding ding,we have a winner! "
I guess it's a winner if you're going to completely disregard the entire discussion I proposed and decide instead to say something that I specifically said not to say. In that respect, yeah. I guess it is a winner.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Otacon

I wasn't trying to disregard the discussion, was just stating that the film needed to work in a Hollywood-esque manner. Don't get me wrong I love the book, and obviously think the original material will always be better, Watchmen itself works better as a comic book and this is a film. I'm surprised so much of the source material was in tact in the cinema cut, if the directors cut can elaborate a little it would be interesting to see. 

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpikeDelight
Otacon said:
"I wasn't trying to disregard the discussion, was just stating that the film needed to work in a Hollywood-esque manner. Don't get me wrong I love the book, and obviously think the original material will always be better, Watchmen itself works better as a comic book and this is a film. I'm surprised so much of the source material was in tact in the cinema cut, if the directors cut can elaborate a little it would be interesting to see. "
Oh no sorry I wasn't saying what you said was disregarding my discussion, since you posted that before I proposed the discussion. I was saying the guy who copied your statement after I elaborated on what I meant was disregarding it. There was no way for you to know at the time that you posted.

On the subject of WATCHMEN though, everyone says, "Well, this is the best we were ever gonna get." I wholeheartedly disagree with that. Just because Snyder has made a film adaptation that looks very similar to the real WATCHMEN means nothing towards the fact that someone more talented could have done it better. Darren Aronofsky, Paul Greengrass and Terry Gilliam were onboard to direct the film before Snyder was. Are you saying they wouldn't have made better films had they chosen the 'direct adaptation' route? I think the film could have been much, much better, and that would have started with them removing all the extended fights and sex and instead focusing on the REAL storytelling. The main plotline was not even the important part in the comic, yet that's ALL that appeared in the movie. I think that's the exact opposite of "The best adaptation we were ever gonna get". I SINCERELY hope that in five or ten years someone who is more talented comes along and decides to make WATCHMEN again and does it right, if oly to right the wrong that as been done by Snyder.

In short, everyone wants to accept that this was the best possible WATCHMEN beacuse this version is so close visually to what any second remake would look like that they just figure that another remake of WATCHMEN would be an impossibility. I hope some brave and tanented soul throws caution to the wind and makes another version that (admittedly would look almost exactly the same) but has its heart in the right place.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Otacon

No worries! Anyway, looking at the book it is clear that Moore sets out each chapter as a different outlook on morality, focusing on different characters in each whilst subtly building up the main story arc. I think for the film to cater to a wider popcorn movie audience, they had to change this. But yes, I agree that certain fight scenes, and the sex scene were far too drawn out where more substantial parts could have been put in. 

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By fr0br0

You need to realize that making a movie is different than making a GN. With a movie, you are going to need something to grab the attention of it's audience. You need to make them say "Holy crap, something exciting happened on the screen. Maybe I should be paying attention now." After that, you slip them some details that structure the plot. Snyder did just a fine job with the change he made. It was a little overly dramatic, but this is the guy who made 300...

If he went with the original opening, he would have lost the audience before he ever had a chance to gain them. People who hadn't read the GN would be bored and not fully understand what is going on because they are asking their buddy next to them what kind of Superhero movie this was where it didn't show the fight.

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Win
Fr0Br0 said:
"You need to realize that making a movie is different than making a GN. With a movie, you are going to need something to grab the attention of it's audience. You need to make them say "Holy crap, something exciting happened on the screen. Maybe I should be paying attention now." After that, you slip them some details that structure the plot. Snyder did just a fine job with the change he made. It was a little overly dramatic, but this is the guy who made 300... If he went with the original opening, he would have lost the audience before he ever had a chance to gain them. People who hadn't read the GN would be bored and not fully understand what is going on because they are asking their buddy next to them what kind of Superhero movie this was where it didn't show the fight."
I agree. Also the version the TC showed wasn't exactly original and was pretty much an exact copy of the Graphic Novel. One thing that Snyder's version had over the GN was that is showed all the great scenes with the Minutemen that were only mentioned briefly in the book. (Such as Dollar Bill getting gunned down and Silhouette murdered). Honestly if you want an exact copy of the GN just watch the motion comic.
Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Why does it have to be exactly the same as the comic?

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SpikeDelight
Fr0Br0 said:
That is very true. This pretty much sums up what I mean about it looking like WATCHMEN but not having the same heart as the comic did. WATCHMEN the comic intentionally set up the opening like that for this exact reason. It wanted you to know that you're not getting into some typical superhero fights bad guy story (even if there is the twist that the hero dies) and that this isn't what you would ever expect from a comic book. The juxtaposition of the two narratives at the start is dripping with bitter irony and sarcasm and everything past that point is told strictly from one of the would-be Crime Busters' point of view EXCEPT for Comedian. Not only does the movie break this rule in the first five seconds by showing you how Comedian saw the events, but it pretty much turns into EXACTLY what the comic was trying to hard (and succeeding) to ridicule. One of the reasons the comic broke boundaries was the fact that it always averted its eyes from any parts that had action and stuck to its guns by constantly telling its story from the outsider's point of view. This familiarity with every character BUT Comedian allows all the twists involving him to be that much more intense. You don't know what kind of man he is, and no one character is a completely reliable narrator concerning him. Make no mistake, Snyder ruined everything that the comic stood for by allowing something like this to see the light of day.

And no, him being the father isn't the only twist. There's also the hints in the comic that he might have killed JFK, which the movie difinitively spells out as well.

GobiasIndustries said:
"Why does it have to be exactly the same as the comic?"
It doesn't need to be exactly the same as the comic, but it DOES need to have the same spirit. It seems that everyone who saw the film version had the meories of the actual themes in the comic pushed out by the ones the movie shows. The film hardly keeps any themes from the comic and the ones it does keep are either underdeveloped, inconsistent, or otherwise completely misunderstood by Snyder. He needed to take a much harder look at the source material before helming this project. Maybe if his interest in the actual story of WATCHMEN was as strong as his interest in the pictures he would have made a better film.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

I get how the comic was doing it...just the same that I was getting how the movie was doing it.

Take the movie for what the movie is.  Take the comic for what the comic is.

/thread
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By RichardLOlson
I think they should have all the different openings and endings on the extras on the dvd.
SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpikeDelight
jakob187 said:
"I get how the comic was doing it...just the same that I was getting how the movie was doing it.

Take the movie for what the movie is.  Take the comic for what the comic is.

/thread"
If you can let it go so easily. I think the movie was a disgrace to Alan Moore's work. It's not just a harmless "Oh if you don't like it then don't see it" thing, it's more like they're slandering the original comic by making the mainstream masses who see the film think that  1. that's all the comic had to offer and  2. the comic had a couple of good ideas but still 'acted like a comic' by having long fight and sex scenes. It just bothers me that this is the way most people who won't end up reading the original will percieve WATCHMEN. I don't think Snyder truly understood the amount of reverence this film required (no, making it look identical doesn't count as true reverence to the source material) and kind of just let it fade into the 'forgotten after a couple of weekends' department. If WATCHMEN was adapted capably by Gilliam or Greengrass I think it would have been Academy Award material. 

The state it's in now, it raises the bar a hair for how superhero movies can be and will fade into obscurity, as opposed to the comic that raised the bar by miles an sent shockwaves through its medium so intensely that it's considered by credible sources to be one of the finest works of American fiction written in its century.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adam_grif

I liked the opening. The only thing I didn't like was a few small things they left out, like Hollis Mason's death, and the weird talk show at the start, which should not have been there.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive

that opening makes more sense but it kills the tone. i felt like the movie captured the tone of the book well, throwing in allll that extra stuff would drag it down and make a boring fanboy movie. ya gotta understand, the watchmen was written in a way that exploited all the clever and cool things you could do with a comic. when you read that part of the book, you play out the scenes in your head and it all has a very dark sinister mysterious tone to it like they do in the film, but if you were to literally translate that scene into film it becomes long and boring. it all has to do with the idea that Moore created that story absolutely for the comic format. its kind of hard to explain this i suppose. 

adam_grif said:
"I liked the opening. The only thing I didn't like was a few small things they left out, like Hollis Mason's death, and the weird talk show at the start, which should not have been there."
hollis
 masons death was actually a scene they cut out near the end of filming i heard because Snyder knew he had to keep it very trim for the general audience. you guys have to understand something, they had to make a seamlessly well paced and understandable film for a wide audience, they can't just assume everyone who went to see it read the book. Hollis' death will be on the directors cut dvd, along with a bunch of scenes they filmed involving the street vendor and the animated short the filmed with gerard butler doing the voice of tor the Black Freighter comic the kid was reading. there is also going to be a whole backstory short about the minuremen they filmed (you can buy those last two things on dvd already). 
as for the News Scene in the beginning, wel, that WAS in the book, as well as  a whole host of news related materials like the New Froniersman. They needed to figure out some quick, interesting, clever ways to implement all of those things into film. they couldn't simply show you a big picture screen of text so you could read part of hollis masons book or veidts interview. I actually felt they did a fantastic job with the bob dylan intro. seeing Dollar Bill dead in a revolving door gave me goosebumps. 
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive

by the way dont sit here saying you think the movie was a disgrace to alan moore. first off he doesn't give a fuck about any of it, especially whether or not YOU think it sucked. second, if you are going to keep complaining about the film, how about changing your avatar from the movie version.  

Also, why the hell would you want a direct adaptation of the book? then everyone would be saying wow snyder has no creative abilities as a director whatsoever. he made his version buddy, not alan moores. 
i'm not arguing the intro they could have done it that way with slightly different dialogue coming from the cops and better editing all together in that scene and it probably wouldnt add a lot of time at all to it. 
but there are many many many MANNNNYYY things they just had to leave out because they weren't too important (except for lauries struggle, i think the chic who played her was mis-cast, she had poor acting skills and never really made it clear how much distress she was in)
SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpikeDelight
TwoOneFive said:
"by the way dont sit here saying you think the movie was a disgrace to alan moore. first off he doesn't give a fuck about any of it, especially whether or not YOU think it sucked. second, if you are going to keep complaining about the film, how about changing your avatar from the movie version.  

Also, why the hell would you want a direct adaptation of the book? then everyone would be saying wow snyder has no creative abilities as a director whatsoever. he made his version buddy, not alan moores. 
i'm not arguing the intro they could have done it that way with slightly different dialogue coming from the cops and better editing all together in that scene and it probably wouldnt add a lot of time at all to it. 
but there are many many many MANNNNYYY things they just had to leave out because they weren't too important (except for lauries struggle, i think the chic who played her was mis-cast, she had poor acting skills and never really made it clear how much distress she was in)"
First off, I never said that the film should have been a direct adaptation of the comic, I only said that Snyder's changes served no purpose intellectually. I suppose it makes sense to reel audiences in by starting out the film with a fight scene, but it's not my fault that they marketed the entire film as an action superhero flick. Plenty of films have a slower, more methodical and intellectual pace and I think it's stupid to defend this version by saying that audiences would have been too dumb and impatient to get farther than the first ten minutes of the film without a poorly shoehorned-in fight. Getting back to the point of direct adaptation however, what I was saying was that someone with more talent should have adapted it while being conscious of what's actually important in the comic. The main plotline is really just a MacGuffin for the themes to come through lampooning the superhero genre and the way the plot plays out is really only there to transition into memories and stories of inevitably doomed New Yorkers. The kind of Cold War paranoia that the entire comic was really about is completely removed. When Dr. Manhattan leaves, nobody gets nervous really, he just goes and comes back. In the comic he's gone for like 3 or 4 issues and you see how the city starts going to shit when their undeserved secret weapon is no longer there to fight for them. 

What I was saying throughout the whole thread (and what no one seems to want to accept, just assuming I'm trying to say it should have been the comic in cinematic form) is that Snyder seemed to think that the important parts of the comic were either the places where the superheroes fight or the parts where he just happened to get one of the double entendres, and the only parts where they're not fighting are either special effects showcases or explanation for why they're eventually going to fight later on in the movie. I think you don't give audiences enough credit by saying they wouldn't accept a movie that doesn't focus on the superhero fights, but understand this: I'm not saying that the film should have been more slow and brooding while still having the kinds of trailers it had now. They really marketed it as a superhero flick, so if they tricked audiences into going and they didn't get what they paid for I'd understand why they wouldn't want to stay after realizing it's not about action. If there was a clean slate however, and Terry Gilliam had the ads reflect more of what the final product would have been and audiences could have expected something more intelligent going in, then it would have been completely appropriate to make the kind of WATCHMEN I'm talking about.

It's really just a cop out for people to say "They obviously had to leave a lot of stuff out." That's not the point. The point is that Zach Snyder didn't get what he was supposed to leave in. Once in a while you could tell a certain line blew his mind (when Nite Owl asks Comedian "What happened to the American dream?" the scene soars to a completely inappropriate level of seriousness) but all in all we needed to either get some scholar who understood the story to explain to Zach and the entire cast what they should have been focusing on or just gotten a different director altogether.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Illmatic

To be quite honest, I actually preferred the theatrical intro to the scrapped one. I know the point of Watchmen wasn't the fights, I read the comic, but comics and movies are two completely different mediums. You brought up that some themes like the JFK assassination being done by The Comedian shouldn't have been done so in your face but when considering a movie that cannot reasonably extend over a certain time period, cuts and changes like these not only make sense but actually helped me appreciate the story much more. Yes, the comic tried to avert itself from blatantly showing these ideas, themes, and plot points to you but when you have a comic that can take its time expressing these ideas to you and a movie that has to express these very same ideas in much fewer time and in much different setting, these changes must be made.

And lets take the added fight scenes into consideration. Watchmen did not show very many of these in the comic and when it did, they were pretty short and quite honestly, bland. But that's ok in a comic because one of the fundamental things you learn when reading a comic is filling in the spaces with your imagination. In one scene I see the hero jump out a window and the next he's on the floor subdued by the police. I can put in my mind whatever I decided happened in that scene to make up for these "missing" panels. In a movie however, these spaces need to be filled. When a movie leaves that much up to you to imagine, it tends to seem off and jumpy. So we get a scene of The Comedian fighting to save himself from his imminent death, we watch Rorschach continue to try to escape even after he is obviously overpowered, we see just how skilled and athletic Ozymandias (sp?) is in his snowy haven. To be quite honest though, I do not see the movie as having that many fight scenes. If we want to put up the comic as being this rebel that went against the grain of your typical super hero graphic novel, The Watchmen had a surprisingly small amount of fights when compared to your typical superhero movie. If I remember correctly, there's even a good hour or so that goes on without any significant confrontation and is just filled with story and development of who these characters are and the problems they are now experiencing in this world that probably needs them but doesn't want them. I actually thought the spirit was pretty well presented by the movie judging by my friend's reactions who hadn't read the comic at all and just watched the movie. They understood the Watchmen was something that concerned itself more with story rather than flashy scenes.

As people who read the comic, its really hard to truly say whether the message was properly depicted because we come in with a bias (good or bad) towards the film already which is why I mentioned my friends who came in as Watchmen virgins. They understood very well what the Watchmen was about, why it was important, and why the lack of fights and confrontation of the physical kind took a back seat to the mental and emotional confrontations. When we left, they weren't talking about the jail breakout but discussing how Rorschach became who he was. They didn't comment on Manhattan's schlong but on how he seemed to be so separated, distant, and beyond the humans. Is this the best adaptation of The Watchmen we will ever get? I don't know that, for all we know a child in South Africa eating his morning cereal may have the perfect vision for this movie. But from what we got, I say it was a pretty good job.

P.S. That sex scene, however, was way too over the top and unnecessary.

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpikeDelight
Illmatic said:
"To be quite honest, I actually preferred the theatrical intro to the scrapped one. I know the point of Watchmen wasn't the fights, I read the comic, but comics and movies are two completely different mediums. You brought up that some themes like the JFK assassination being done by The Comedian shouldn't have been done so in your face but when considering a movie that cannot reasonably extend over a certain time period, cuts and changes like these not only make sense but actually helped me appreciate the story much more. Yes, the comic tried to avert itself from blatantly showing these ideas, themes, and plot points to you but when you have a comic that can take its time expressing these ideas to you and a movie that has to express these very same ideas in much fewer time and in much different setting, these changes must be made. And lets take the added fight scenes into consideration. Watchmen did not show very many of these in the comic and when it did, they were pretty short and quite honestly, bland. But that's ok in a comic because one of the fundamental things you learn when reading a comic is filling in the spaces with your imagination. In one scene I see the hero jump out a window and the next he's on the floor subdued by the police. I can put in my mind whatever I decided happened in that scene to make up for these "missing" panels. In a movie however, these spaces need to be filled. When a movie leaves that much up to you to imagine, it tends to seem off and jumpy. So we get a scene of The Comedian fighting to save himself from his imminent death, we watch Rorschach continue to try to escape even after he is obviously overpowered, we see just how skilled and athletic Ozymandias (sp?) is in his snowy haven. To be quite honest though, I do not see the movie as having that many fight scenes. If we want to put up the comic as being this rebel that went against the grain of your typical super hero graphic novel, The Watchmen had a surprisingly small amount of fights when compared to your typical superhero movie. If I remember correctly, there's even a good hour or so that goes on without any significant confrontation and is just filled with story and development of who these characters are and the problems they are now experiencing in this world that probably needs them but doesn't want them. I actually thought the spirit was pretty well presented by the movie judging by my friend's reactions who hadn't read the comic at all and just watched the movie. They understood the Watchmen was something that concerned itself more with story rather than flashy scenes. As people who read the comic, its really hard to truly say whether the message was properly depicted because we come in with a bias (good or bad) towards the film already which is why I mentioned my friends who came in as Watchmen virgins. They understood very well what the Watchmen was about, why it was important, and why the lack of fights and confrontation of the physical kind took a back seat to the mental and emotional confrontations. When we left, they weren't talking about the jail breakout but discussing how Rorschach became who he was. They didn't comment on Manhattan's schlong but on how he seemed to be so separated, distant, and beyond the humans. Is this the best adaptation of The Watchmen we will ever get? I don't know that, for all we know a child in South Africa eating his morning cereal may have the perfect vision for this movie. But from what we got, I say it was a pretty good job.P.S. That sex scene, however, was way too over the top and unnecessary."
You bring up some very good points. I see what you're saying with having to fill in the blanks of the comic with on-screen action, but honestly fights weren't even implied in the comic. When Rorschach jumps out of the window he hurts/breaks his legs and is arguing with himself to get up. It's really harrowing and then he actually just gets tackled by the police before even getting to do it. The fact that he failed at his objective is something really powerful I think and was grounded in complete realism. A conematic parallel to this was when Rachel was saying everything was going to be all right in The Dark Knight and in the middle of it the building explodes. This kind of powerlessness is not only realistic, but supports the basic theme of the comic, which is the superheroes finding themselves powerless in the face of nuclear holocaust. I just think certain parts that would have been about five seconds long could have really added something and not necessarily made it any more boring. It's just about what Snyder chose to add. Also, the fact that the fights had really cheesy punch sound effects (trying to mimic the score in its throwback to the time period) really only succeeds in making the fights stand out that much more as campy and completely unrealistic. In WATCHMEN you really get the sense that these are "costumed adventurers" doing these things, but in WATCHMEN the movie you get the sense that these are "retired superheroes" doing them. Ozymandias wouldn't be able to jump like 30 feet straight up in the air no matter how fit he was and Rorschach wouldn't be able to weather a fall and immediately be able to fight back in some way. I just think the themes of the comic were shat on and instead replaced with a film with so much exposition and ideas thrown at you at once that if you don't already know the story you would just assume it's intelligent, while we as readers of the original know all of its tricks. (I went with people who hadn't read it too and they had similar reactions). 

And while your argument is valid, I just think that people who like this WATCHMEN have forgotten how complex films can be. All of the classics that you'd see in a film class have so many details that they'd probably require dozens of viewings to catch them all. If WATCHMEN was packed with information in the background then I think it would not only have been great for the fans and this would have been inconsequential to people who didn't notice it. Zach Snyder is no Billy Wilder, Hitchcock or Scorsese but WATCHMEN deserved a director of that caliber at the helm.

Also, examples of things they could have put in with little consequence would have been the robotic owl suit in Nite Owls basement, which shows why it's significant when Laurie asks about why he'd want such a destructive costume or something and he asks if there is any other kind. This represents not only how destructive donning a costume can be to a hero's life but the psychological problems someone must need to have to feel compelled to wear one (explored in psychologist chapter). You can tell that's what the comic meant because you see the costume in the background when Laurie and Dan suit up and are gettig ready to bust out Rorschach. The costume is always in frame. That would have taken like 5 seconds to introduce the theme but would increase the depth exponentially.

How about NOSTALGIA by Veidt? They have it on one billboard for about a millisecond, but the fact that it shows up in certain parts (Silk Spectre 1's house, on Mars and other places) is carefully chosen to show the irony of all these people pretending like they don't miss their old lives when later on at certain points in each of their stories you (and they) realize they really do. Having Laurie throw the bottle, signifying her destructive memories making her paradise of ignorance come crashing down could have been added with about 15 extra seconds of time total. The problem is you can tell Snyder didn't catch these metaphors and just thought they wouldn't be important enough to need to stay in. That's the real thing that irks me, and a master director of his time lie the ones I mentioned earlier would have caught these and explored them.
SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpikeDelight

Also I just got the Black Freighter DVD today and I haven't watched it yet, but it looks like even THEY understood it better than Snyder. They realized that the Black Freighter was a metaphor for Veidt's exploits throughout the comic (it says it in the description on the box). This gives me hope for the Director's Cut being better since at least these parts will have known what they were doing.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dipstick

I just finished the novel after seeing the movie(never heard of watchmen before that) and I was STUNNED about the stuff they left out of the movie.

I actually loved the pirate story that went along the with plot

I ending up feeling short changed quite a bit buy the movie,but if I had not read that novel I still would've loved the movie

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TwoOneFive
Hollis Mason's death. SpikeDelight said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"by the way dont sit here saying you think the movie was a disgrace to alan moore. first off he doesn't give a fuck about any of it, especially whether or not YOU think it sucked. second, if you are going to keep complaining about the film, how about changing your avatar from the movie version.  

but there are many many many MANNNNYYY things they just had to leave out because they weren't too important (except for lauries struggle, i think the chic who played her was mis-cast, she had poor acting skills and never really made it clear how much distress she was in)"
First off, I never said that the film should have been a direct adaptation of the comic, I only said that Snyder's changes served no purpose intellectually. I suppose it makes sense to reel audiences in by starting out the film with a fight scene, but it's not my fault that they marketed the entire film as an action superhero flick. Plenty of films have a slower, more methodical and intellectual pace and I think it's stupid to defend this version by saying that audiences would have been too dumb and impatient to get farther than the first ten minutes of the film without a poorly shoehorned-in fight. Getting back to the point of direct adaptation however, what I was saying was that someone with more talent should have adapted it while being conscious of what's actually important in the comic. The main plotline is really just a MacGuffin for the themes to come through lampooning the superhero genre and the way the plot plays out is really only there to transition into memories and stories of inevitably doomed New Yorkers. The kind of Cold War paranoia that the entire comic was really about is completely removed. When Dr. Manhattan leaves, nobody gets nervous really, he just goes and comes back. In the comic he's gone for like 3 or 4 issues and you see how the city starts going to shit when their undeserved secret weapon is no longer there to fight for them. 

What I was saying throughout the whole thread (and what no one seems to want to accept, just assuming I'm trying to say it should have been the comic in cinematic form) is that Snyder seemed to think that the important parts of the comic were either the places where the superheroes fight or the parts where he just happened to get one of the double entendres, and the only parts where they're not fighting are either special effects showcases or explanation for why they're eventually going to fight later on in the movie. I think you don't give audiences enough credit by saying they wouldn't accept a movie that doesn't focus on the superhero fights, but understand this: I'm not saying that the film should have been more slow and brooding while still having the kinds of trailers it had now. They really marketed it as a superhero flick, so if they tricked audiences into going and they didn't get what they paid for I'd understand why they wouldn't want to stay after realizing it's not about action. If there was a clean slate however, and Terry Gilliam had the ads reflect more of what the final product would have been and audiences could have expected something more intelligent going in, then it would have been completely appropriate to make the kind of WATCHMEN I'm talking about.

It's really just a cop out for people to say "They obviously had to leave a lot of stuff out." That's not the point. The point is that Zach Snyder didn't get what he was supposed to leave in. Once in a while you could tell a certain line blew his mind (when Nite Owl asks Comedian "What happened to the American dream?" the scene soars to a completely inappropriate level of seriousness) but all in all we needed to either get some scholar who understood the story to explain to Zach and the entire cast what they should have been focusing on or just gotten a different director altogether.
"
Okay, the movie was already pushing the limit on acceptable length. To most people, notably Roger Ebert, the movie was sort of slow and methodical and totally intellectual hence the full four star rating,  but what you want is a movie with wayyy more detail than is necessary therefore creating a film that is just too fucking long. 
Also i never said audiences would only like the movie if it focused on the fights. you are making arguments against yourself, i never said that, so your like just arguing with yourself. You just want to rant against any opposing points of view, wether anyone here had them or not. 

look i loved the book just as much as the next guy, but even i know this is the best we could ever expect hollywood to do with it. 

Your starting to sound like these anime babies who bitch and complain when they find out an american producer wants to adapt their favorite anime or manga and then they cast american actors, they all start bitchin that they should be asian. All i think is, well, your fucking favorite anime isn't going anywhere and won't be changed. Its their FEAR that others will dislike the film, therefore dismissing the anime all together. 

So look man, who gives a shit, the movie really was the best we could ever expect, nobody else was willing to take this project on and nobody else thought it would ever work at all. The movie did work, is it as good as the book, no, but its still pretty good. Has it changed public opinion of the book, NO goddamnit, NNOOOOO! The book still is and always will be an amazing piece of work. 
SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SpikeDelight
TwoOneFive said:
Okay, the movie was already pushing the limit on acceptable length. To most people, notably Roger Ebert, the movie was sort of slow and methodical and totally intellectual hence the full four star rating,  but what you want is a movie with wayyy more detail than is necessary therefore creating a film that is just too fucking long. 
Also i never said audiences would only like the movie if it focused on the fights. you are making arguments against yourself, i never said that, so your like just arguing with yourself. You just want to rant against any opposing points of view, wether anyone here had them or not. 

look i loved the book just as much as the next guy, but even i know this is the best we could ever expect hollywood to do with it. 

Your starting to sound like these anime babies who bitch and complain when they find out an american producer wants to adapt their favorite anime or manga and then they cast american actors, they all start bitchin that they should be asian. All i think is, well, your fucking favorite anime isn't going anywhere and won't be changed. Its their FEAR that others will dislike the film, therefore dismissing the anime all together. 

So look man, who gives a shit, the movie really was the best we could ever expect, nobody else was willing to take this project on and nobody else thought it would ever work at all. The movie did work, is it as good as the book, no, but its still pretty good. Has it changed public opinion of the book, NO goddamnit, NNOOOOO! The book still is and always will be an amazing piece of work. 

First of all, nicely constructed sentence when attempting to say I was arguing with myself. But more on topic, I was addressing the fact that you apparently changed into Mr. Hyde after your response and rage posted about why I was stupid and how they shouldn't make a direct adaptation. I seem to remember reading "i felt like the movie captured the tone of the book well, throwing in allll that extra stuff would drag it down and make a boring fanboy movie." which clearly is saying that if they put in the stuff that was more intellectual then nobody would be able to understand it but the people who had already read the comic. Anyway, you seem to be taking this as if I was bringing your intelligence into question specifically. I can assure you I wasn't. When I was saying it was stupid to expect audiences to be too dumb to like a movie that didn't have at least a few fights in it I was mainly addressing the public's opinion of the film, as that seems to be the generally accepted excuse for why Snyder did what he did. 

Getting back to the actual points I made in my post compared to the ones you made, you seem to have resorted to making this a personal ventetta against me instead of giving any kind of counterpoint based on what I actually said. I'm wondering if you had even read it all the way through because when I responded to you I had thought you would be capable of holding an interesting debate about the topic, but now I'm not even sure if I want to hear from you if all you're going to do is act like a screaming child who is stuck in a corner. I have reposted my original response below for your convenience should you choose to respond like an adult.

It's really just a cop out for people to say "They obviously had to leave a lot of stuff out." That's not the point. The point is that Zach Snyder didn't get what he was supposed to leave in. Once in a while you could tell a certain line blew his mind (when Nite Owl asks Comedian "What happened to the American dream?" the scene soars to a completely inappropriate level of seriousness) but all in all we needed to either get some scholar who understood the story to explain to Zach and the entire cast what they should have been focusing on or just gotten a different director altogether.