Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Nobody talks about Anime Vice.

Scarcely a mention in any GB podcast, nothing on the live show, the silence is overwhelming. Is it because anime creeps people out?

Are they huddled in the corner of WM central with their ankle monitors?

I don't know, and I sure as heck won't click on their site to find out.

Can anybody fill me in?

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jelekeloy

It's because   

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hunkulese
@DanceDanceKennypants said:
"Is it because anime creeps people out?  "
Yes
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't quite catch what Jeff said there.

LOL

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Romination

Also, no one's really WORKING there, and the site was kind of bad, with none of that 'obscure love' you see here, where someone's filled in a page for a game you've never heard of in loving detail. Anime Vice was mostly just the same anime a lot.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By beargirl1

i guess it's because they don't have anyone to represent them. ever since Gia and John left, there's not really any face to anime vice. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

The only staff member that does stuff for Anime Vice is Tom, who does stuff for the other sites as well.  There is GodLen over there, but he isn't in the offices, he works at his own place.  My guess is to why there isn't any Anime Vice stuff in the live stream is cause while Tom does know some stuff, he doesn't know much.  That's my guess.

I'm kinda surprised though since Anime Vice gets more views then Screened and Tested combined.

DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps there'll be an announcement on the fate of the site soon.

"It is with great sadness..." 

"We'll continue to focus on..." etc.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By ThePickle

It is my understanding that no one works at AV. It's all community run, which is why it's just kind of... there. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn

Hahhaha Anime Vice (Kicks website in stomach and walks away.)

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By donchipotle

It'd be a lot better if the forums wasn't like 80% RPs and "Who would win" threads. I hardly see any discussion of any actual anime outside of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. I get those are the big popular three, but man, for someone not into those but into anime it's a really polarizing site. I used to go there just to fill out the Major page, but I haven't even done that in months.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aronman789

AV needs to die

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CL60

Racist.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

The term is "red-headed step son".

Ginger is OUR word. Only we can use it with eachother.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel
@MrKlorox said:
" The term is "red-headed step son".  Ginger is OUR word. Only we can use it with eachother. "
No, it's "redheaded stepchild."

Discrimination by gender has no place in this argument. :P
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox
@Hailinel:  Touche'
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Brendan

No-one works there, so there isn't a ton of compelling content for anime fans.  Also, the only anime sites that gets tons of traffic offer torrents or streams, so it didn't have much going for it in the first place.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Coombs
@DanceDanceKennypants:  

This is AnimeVice 

and that's why nobody talks about it
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shirogane
@Brendan said:
"No-one works there, so there isn't a ton of compelling content for anime fans.  Also, the only anime sites that gets tons of traffic offer torrents or streams, so it didn't have much going for it in the first place. "

That and the fact that you can't actually find anything useful on the wiki cause nobody fills it out? 
Actual information on some of the less well known anime/manga are hard to find, be nice if at least they could get filled out. But all we get are Bleach, Naruto and One Piece stuff for 90% of the site. It's like the people there aren't actually into anime, but 3 series. THREE godamn series! Almost like calling yourself a gamer cause you play WoW.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Baillie
@JJOR64 said:
"I'm kinda surprised though since Anime Vice gets more views then Screened and Tested combined."
As do hundreds of other sites on the internet where people go to masturbate.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21  Edited By natetodamax
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NathHaw
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By FLStyle
@AjayRaz said:
" i guess it's because they don't have anyone to represent them. ever since Gia and John left, there's not really any face to anime vice.  "
This. Also Ana was the other main in-office contributor, but she's just changed Whiskey site, not left the company.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By demontium
@DanceDanceKennypants: No editing team and anime is generally way more popular japan... and in my opinion anime sucks because all of it is basically the same.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel
@demontium said:
" @DanceDanceKennypants: No editing team and anime is generally way more popular japan... and in my opinion anime sucks because all of it is basically the same. "
It would naturally be more popular in Japan given that it originates from there and we only receive a portion of the anime produced through official licensing agreements.  Also, you once again show your incredible ignorance by declaring it all the same.

Because obviously Azumaga Daioh, Ghost in the Shell, Ah! My Goddess, and Legend of the Overfiend are all the same damn thing, of course.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zombie2011

Anime is Gross.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Tom's the only one that does anything with it and he is a complete tool and same with the comic vine staff.

I love everything without a vine on the end.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By demontium
@Hailinel said:
" @demontium said:
" @DanceDanceKennypants: No editing team and anime is generally way more popular japan... and in my opinion anime sucks because all of it is basically the same. "
It would naturally be more popular in Japan given that it originates from there and we only receive a portion of the anime produced through official licensing agreements.  Also, you once again show your incredible ignorance by declaring it all the same.  Because obviously Azumaga Daioh, Ghost in the Shell, Ah! My Goddess, and Legend of the Overfiend are all the same damn thing, of course. "
Dude, my opinions are based off the anime I've seen. Obviously I'm ignorant on the subject because I avoid it and thus don't know a lot about it. Haha, no need to get all tied up.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iamjohn
@natetodamax said:
" @Coombs said:
" @DanceDanceKennypants:  

This is AnimeVice  and that's why nobody talks about it "
Giant Bomb says hello. "
Suck My Dick or Die is still the best name for a video game of all time.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel
@demontium said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @demontium said:
It would naturally be more popular in Japan given that it originates from there and we only receive a portion of the anime produced through official licensing agreements.  Also, you once again show your incredible ignorance by declaring it all the same.  Because obviously Azumaga Daioh, Ghost in the Shell, Ah! My Goddess, and Legend of the Overfiend are all the same damn thing, of course. "
Dude, my opinions are based off the anime I've seen. Obviously I'm ignorant on the subject because I avoid it and thus don't know a lot about it. Haha, no need to get all tied up. "
If you're ignorant about it, don't spout your opinions like your an expert on the subject.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By spazmaster666

The problem with Anime Vice IMO is that it doesn't really offer content that other sites don't. The wiki is a nice feature but there already pretty extensive databases of anime out there (i.e. ANN, AniDB). It doesn't really have any extensive coverage of current series or much meaningful discussions in the forums, two other major reasons why people go to anime sites. This is why I, despite being a pretty big anime fan, rarely ever visit Anime Vice.

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tsolless

The only good anime is Cowboy Bebop. Not matter how ever many other times I post this and someone responds, "No, you're just a hater, watch *fill in blank here*." and I watch it, it is always shit. Always. There is no other worthwhile anime, horrible medium. Anime is for jerks.

@natetodamax said:

" @Coombs said:

" @DanceDanceKennypants:  

This is AnimeVice  and that's why nobody talks about it "
Giant Bomb says hello . "
  Pretty goddamn strange that all those "games" are hentai then, eh? 
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By SlightConfuse

So its like episode 3 then? 

Also Ethan has said it get more hits than tested and screened 

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Hourai

There's no staff or original content on there, which is the main draw for a Whiskey site. I always forget the site even exists until people mention it on here. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@tsolless said:
"  The only good anime is Cowboy Bebop. Not matter how ever many other times I post this and someone responds, "No, you're just a hater, watch *fill in blank here*." and I watch it, it is always shit. Always. There is no other worthwhile anime, horrible medium. Anime is for jerks.
 "
Sigh.
Avatar image for commodoregroovy
CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

Don't be hating on Anime Vice. They mean well. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel
@tsolless said:
"  The only good anime is Cowboy Bebop. Not matter how ever many other times I post this and someone responds, "No, you're just a hater, watch *fill in blank here*." and I watch it, it is always shit. Always. There is no other worthwhile anime, horrible medium. Anime is for jerks."
Sigh.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By spazmaster666
@tsolless said:
  Pretty goddamn strange that all those "games" are hentai then, eh?  "
Actually, they are called eroge.
PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By PixelPrinny
@tsolless said:

"  The only good anime is Cowboy Bebop. Not matter how ever many other times I post this and someone responds, "No, you're just a hater, watch *fill in blank here*." and I watch it, it is always shit. Always. There is no other worthwhile anime, horrible medium. Anime is for jerks.

That is one of the greatest and at the same time most retarded things I've read online in like... a week.  

Sure, I can see the same logic applied to other things -- sports, for example. One sport might be a ton of fun to play for someone, but every other sport they try isn't enjoyable. That part of your statement is sound. But then try applying the second part to it -- "There are no other worthwhile sports, horrible pasttime. Sports are for jerks." and you end up sounding retarded. 

Edit: As for why AV is seldom mentioned... my guess would be it just doesn't bring in the number of views that the other sites see and as such is being quietly put to rest (the fact they got rid of the two people running the show sort of drives that point home). 

Anime is a fairly niche market (even including mainstream shows like Naruto) and there have been well-established communities online to find anime information for years, now.  

With no big names in the industry running the show to drive people over, like GB had, AV didn't really even have much in the way of attracting an audience apart from hoping word of mouth would spread from people who frequented other Whiskey Media sites. 

Also, this thread seems to pop up every 3 months or so... maybe there's a real answer in one of the previous threads you can find.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LiquidPrince
@DanceDanceKennypants:  Anime Vice has no actual staff working at the Whiskey offices. That's why.
tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tsolless
@PixelPrinny said:
" @tsolless said:

That is one of the greatest and at the same time most retarded things I've read online in like... a week.   Sure, I can see the same logic applied to other things -- sports, for example. One sport might be a ton of fun to play for someone, but every other sport they try isn't enjoyable. That part of your statement is sound. But then try applying the second part to it -- "There are no other worthwhile sports, horrible pasttime. Sports are for jerks." and you end up sounding retarded."
Says the user with a moeblob avatar.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By spazmaster666
@tsolless said:
Says the user with a moeblob avatar. "
Because avatars obviously determine whether or not a person's post has merit, and not what that person actually wrote.

Also saying that Cowboy Bebop is the only good anime is like saying that The Sopranos is the only good TV series. I hope I don't  have to elaborate any further . . . <_<
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By rjayb89

I go there for the naked cartoon penises while I go here for the naked cartoon pussy.  Though, not enough yaoi there for my tastes.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By AURON570
@AjayRaz said:

" i guess it's because they don't have anyone to represent them. ever since Gia and John left, there's not really any face to anime vice.  "

I really miss those two...
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hailinel
@tsolless said:
" @PixelPrinny said:
" @tsolless said:

That is one of the greatest and at the same time most retarded things I've read online in like... a week.   Sure, I can see the same logic applied to other things -- sports, for example. One sport might be a ton of fun to play for someone, but every other sport they try isn't enjoyable. That part of your statement is sound. But then try applying the second part to it -- "There are no other worthwhile sports, horrible pasttime. Sports are for jerks." and you end up sounding retarded."
Get a trim, you beardtard.

What I just typed is just as effective as that nonsensical insult of yours.  Grow up.
tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tsolless
@spazmaster666 said:

" @tsolless said:

Because avatars obviously determine whether or not a person's post has merit, and not what that person actually wrote. Also saying that Cowboy Bebop is the only good anime is like saying that The Sopranos is the only good TV series. I hope I don't  have to elaborate any further . . . <_< "
No, but an avatar can reveal a person's tastes. I would not expect anyone to take me seriously if I discussed the merits of dramatic television (like Sopranos) while posting with a 'Friends' avatar. All it reveals is that the person has an interest in the absolute lowest of the trash in anime, which is what I consider moe kawaii uguu shit to be. 

Also, western television is a different thing from anime. They won't have the same range of quality. Most western television is trash, yes, and Sopranos are an excellent example of excellent television, yes, but I see little excellent anime. To masturbate, sure, 'tis a wonderful thing, but to watch an interesting story with compelling characters? No, not for me.

@Hailinel

said:

" Get a trim, you beardtard.  What I just typed is just as effective as that nonsensical insult of yours.  Grow up. "

Not my beard, unfortunately. Again, I would not expect anyone to take me seriously if I was discussing a subject while posting with an avatar containing the absolute lowest trash of said discussion.

edit: 
 As far as growing up, you have little room to be speaking. I don't hold cartoons (western or eastern) to be a shining example of excellent media.
DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By DocHaus

Where did you go, Gia and John Martone? AV nation turns its lonely eyes to you...woo-woo-woooo...

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ryax
@Mikemcn said:
" Hahhaha Anime Vice (Kicks website in stomach and walks away.) "
NEEEEEEEEEEEEERDSSS
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By spazmaster666
@tsolless said:

No, but an avatar can reveal a person's tastes. I would not expect anyone to take me seriously if I discussed the merits of dramatic television (like Sopranos) while posting with a 'Friends' avatar. All it reveals is that the person has an interest in the absolute lowest of the trash in anime, which is what I consider moe kawaii uguu shit to be.   Also, western television is a different thing from anime. They won't have the same range of quality. Most western television is trash, yes, and Sopranos are an excellent example of excellent television, yes, but I see little excellent anime. To masturbate, sure, 'tis a wonderful thing, but to watch an interesting story with compelling characters? No, not for me. "

Unless of course, you pick an avatar because you like the art or perhaps for irony. Also my point is that while there are a lot of crappy anime out there, but there is also plenty of good anime (depending on your tastes of course). Anime is far too broad of a medium for anyone to make any sweeping judgments. For instance, on ANN I counted 5,942 anime titles listed in their database (and that's just the titles listed on ANN). Are you really trying to contend that out of those nearly 6,000 titles, only one is "good?"