Anyone else notice this about the news?

Agent1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Agent1337

How in the news there will be 40 articles about how Obama takes a shit and other American news. But when it comes to other countries, they get practically zero coverage. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have in-depth coverage of all of the US government's latest happenings, but they make it seem like other countries don't have similar stuff taking place, but they just don't get reported in the mainstream news. The strange thing is, even foreign (non-American) news corporations do this too, about America. Sometimes they'll sneak in an article about the United Kingdom, or lately, Libya, but other than that, it's all about America. I'm not saying that we should publish less articles about America, what I am saying is that we should do a thousand news articles a day about what Sarah Palin had for breakfast AND we should do the same for other countries.

I find it hard to believe that America is the only country where politicians make statements that get quoted on 40 different news websites. What about stuff Turkmenistanian politicians say? Or what policies the Suriname government wants to implement. I understand that most of these foreign countries are third world nations and many of them lack freedom of the press, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. And of course 90% of the people who read and discuss politics on the internet are Americans, so they are catering to their audience, plus the US government doesn't really want you to know about the rebellions happening in Saudi Arabia or Yemen or other countries that the US supports, since we support them and want the government to crush the rebels in those countries. Anyway, would you like to see more news on the same level (or slightly below) the United States? Such as all of the events and politics of countries like Panama, Suriname, Madagascar, Chad, Costa Rica, Jonathanland, Mozambique, Brazil, Nepal, San Marino, Liechtenstein, and various other nations?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Agent1337:
Ah yes,Agent1337 we meet again... 
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bravetoaster

I don't care about the political events of those countries you listed. If I want to know more about a country, I use the internet.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Troll? Or someone who hasn't actually looked at any foreign news outlets?  

monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By monstersnsoup

If you're talking about news networks like Fox or MSNBC, they focus on American politics. Kind of how cartoon network focuses on cartoons. If you want worldwide coverage try looking at the BBC or AFP. Reuters and the Associated Press also heavily cover worldwide news.

Agent1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Agent1337
@Gooddoggy said:

" Troll? Or someone who hasn't actually looked at any foreign news outlets?   "

Yeah because the BBC and Daily Mail really don't cover American news all the time...oh wait, they do!
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Agent1337:  Get a more important country then bro.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By valrog

I'm not from US, and I can safely say that our News aren't obsessed with the US like you make them out to be. Sure, they report when something of significance happens, but that's the point of the News, right?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By toowalrus
@Agent1337 said: 

"Of course 90% of the people who read and discuss politics on the internet are Americans"

lol.

Anyway, when I lived in the US, most of the news coverage was about the US. When I lived in New Zealand, most of the news coverage was about New Zealand.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Xeiphyer

I guess you finally watched the news for the first time. Congrats.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

America is the most important country in the world.  If America fucks up, the world fucks up.

It's the price of being the world's most powerful, wealthiest, and most free country.

Agent1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Agent1337
@KaosAngel said:
" America is the most important country in the world.  If America fucks up, the world fucks up.It's the price of being the world's most powerful, wealthiest, and most free country. "
This.
v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By v

I personally use Al Jazeera as my news source, and I have found that they focus way less on the goings on in the United States as even something like the bbc...

Agent1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Agent1337
LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidS
@Agent1337 said:
" Such as all of the events and politics of countries like Panama, Suriname, Madagascar, Chad, Costa Rica, Jonathanland, Mozambique, Brazil, Nepal, San Marino, Liechtenstein, and various other nations? "
I know I wish I could get more news from Jonathanland! 

v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By v

Well it does have a US story, but what I was meaning was that unlike something like BBC, not all of the stories focus solely on the US, in fact on that front page, the ratio of stories about the US to stories about other countries is very low.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cnlmullen

Most American television news right now focuses on the royal wedding, texting while driving, sexting,  young-attractive-upper-middle-class-white-women who are raped and/or murdered, Sarah Palin, American Idol, and Donald Trump. 

I guess most people would rather hear about the evils of Facebook than dead protesters in Syria. 

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EndlessObsidian

Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 are still great games no matter what country you're from.

-- There's your foreign news.
SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By SpacePenguin
@KaosAngel said:

" America is the most important country in the world.  If America fucks up, the world fucks up.It's the price of being the world's most powerful, wealthiest, and most free country. "

Ok  I realy dont want to get in an argument here, but saying that America is the most free country isnt right, its no more free than a hell of alot of countries. Im not trying to imply that the people of America arnt free but that other countries are exactly  the same. And most important? how do you gage importance? To be honest there probably is no one most important country.
 ( I hope you were being sacrastic)
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dbz1995

It's because the Illuminati control the media, and the Illuminati are American.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ch13696

I'm actually tired of what news is reported and how it's reported. Every single time out here in California, FOX 11 always has celebrity news on the top of their list. If I go to other news outlets, all of a sudden they have opinions. And it's never good opinions. If Obama came out and said that everyone in America will be getting free healthcare and a $1,000 check from the government, I'm 100% sure that these main news outlets would start talking crap on him. Thinking that they can run the government better.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SomeJerk

The general public and medias idea of politics in America, is more like Eurovision Song Contest related news in Europe.

You thought the crazy shit about birth certificates was bad?

Dude.

Agent1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Agent1337

Celebrity news in general is stupid.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By crusader8463

Maybe because 99.9% of Americans think they are the only country on the planet, so they don't care about the rest of the world?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Enigma777

I've never even heard of those countries before...

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nux

Well I live in America so...
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By FCKSNAP
@crusader8463 said:
" Maybe because 99.9% of Americans think they are the only country on the planet, so they don't care about the rest of the world? "
Are you fucking with me? There's other countries out there? You're fucking with me right? I mean, I've seen Hawaii, but that's... you know...

Oh wait, Jonathanland! I've been there!

Agent1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Agent1337
@crusader8463 said:
" Maybe because 99.9% of Americans think they are the only country on the planet, so they don't care about the rest of the world? "
@Enigma777 said:
" I've never even heard of those countries before... "
lol
Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gerhabio
@KaosAngel said:
It's not the wealthiest or most influential anymore. 

@Agent1337:  Watch Aljazeera.
Agent1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Agent1337
@G3RHRT said:
" @KaosAngel said:
It's not the wealthiest or most influential anymore. 

@Agent1337:  Watch Aljazeera.
"
It's still the most influential and the wealthiest. the USD is the international currency for the UN, NATO, World Bank, etc.

And America is still politically, culturally, economically, and militarily dominant.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust

Americans don't care what happens in the rest of the world unless it involves Americans, so that's why the news is the way it is.  But, today more than ever more international news, alternate media and independent analysis is available if you're willing to seek it out.  It used to be just the 3 major broadcast networks and your local newspaper.  Today you're got the whole world at your fingertips. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@Agent1337 said:
" @Gooddoggy said:

" Troll? Or someone who hasn't actually looked at any foreign news outlets?   "

Yeah because the BBC and Daily Mail really don't cover American news all the time...oh wait, they do! "
Do you actually consider the Daily Mail news?  You'll be hard-pressed to find a source that completely ignores American news, but if you think the BBC doesn't cover British domestic politics or local politics in several other European countries, then you're being willfully ignorant.  If you want domestic news for a country, go to a domestic news source for that country.  The New York Times doesn't cover Australia as well as, say, the Sydney Morning Herald.
Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lifestrike
Wait, has Obama taken another shit?!
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By JasonR86
@Agent1337 said:
"  How in the news there will be 40 articles about how Obama takes a shit and other American news. But when it comes to other countries, they get practically zero coverage. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have in-depth coverage of all of the US government's latest happenings, but they make it seem like other countries don't have similar stuff taking place, but they just don't get reported in the mainstream news. The strange thing is, even foreign (non-American) news corporations do this too, about America. Sometimes they'll sneak in an article about the United Kingdom, or lately, Libya, but other than that, it's all about America. I'm not saying that we should publish less articles about America, what I am saying is that we should do a thousand news articles a day about what Sarah Palin had for breakfast AND we should do the same for other countries.I find it hard to believe that America is the only country where politicians make statements that get quoted on 40 different news websites. What about stuff Turkmenistanian politicians say? Or what policies the Suriname government wants to implement. I understand that most of these foreign countries are third world nations and many of them lack freedom of the press, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. And of course 90% of the people who read and discuss politics on the internet are Americans, so they are catering to their audience, plus the US government doesn't really want you to know about the rebellions happening in Saudi Arabia or Yemen or other countries that the US supports, since we support them and want the government to crush the rebels in those countries. Anyway, would you like to see more news on the same level (or slightly below) the United States? Such as all of the events and politics of countries like Panama, Suriname, Madagascar, Chad, Costa Rica, Jonathanland, Mozambique, Brazil, Nepal, San Marino, Liechtenstein, and various other nations? "
Do you have any sources to back up anything you've said?

Regardless, news organizations are going to post news stories that create traffic.  Apparently, American news does that.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By ajamafalous

You mean news outlets cater to their audience?!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm
@Agent1337 said:
"  How in the news there will be 40 articles about how Obama takes a shit and other American news. "
This isn't a complete sentence. Also, it makes no fucking sense.
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By craigbo180
@Agent1337 said:
" And of course 90% of the people who read and discuss politics on the internet are Americans "
100% of that statistic was pulled out your ass.

I live in the UK and politics are heavily covered here, I just couldn't care less.
CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93
donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#39  Edited By donutfever

Can't speak for other countries, but Canadian news outlets cover themselves quite a bit.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#40  Edited By donutfever
@Lifestrike said:
" Wait, has Obama taken another shit?!
"
Call TMZ!
Tyrannosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tyrannosaur

Yeah! Another Libertarian member! I might just have to steal your avatar.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AltonBrown

So is this guy just a goddamned idiot or a troll? I really can't tell anymore. Flagged.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By InternetCrab

Stupid thread is stupid.
InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By InternetCrab
@DonutFever said:
" @Lifestrike said:
" Wait, has Obama taken another shit?!
"
Call TMZ! "
This needs to go to the Pentagon. Has the Vice President got his hands on this incredible breaking event?
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah, because there haven't been a million and one articles about the fuckin' royal wedding.