Anyone going to upgrade to the iPhone 5?

• 78 results
swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By swordmagic

My 4 right now is beat the hell up and I wanted to wait to see the 5 announcement before I went out and got a 4S. In all honestly despite being the Apple junkie I am (as far as phones/music devices go... fuck MACs :p) I wasn't really impressed with the unveiling, sure it looks slick and the screens bigger, better display, faster internet and all that is fantastic and I'm going to upgrade anyway, but nothing was really suprising or like mind blowingly breathtaking about the phone, which apple is usually good at. I was curious to see everyone elses thoughts on it, anyone else upgrading?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bocam

I'm going to upgrade my 3G to a 4S, the 5 isn't really doing it for me

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By Sergio

I'm "upgrading" from Android.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By nerdsbeware

Yea, mine 4 is shot and my contract ran out a few months ago so I figure I am due for an upgrade and generally was happy with my 4. The 4 was the first iPhone I got so the 5 looks to had made some good improvements like with Maps and Passbook so yea. Sure it could have used maybe one or two new features, but for the most part in my day to day, I use my phone to check Twitter/FB, browse the internet and play a game or two when I am bored. Again though, with the few changes with iOS6 and the phone, I'm on board.

Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Sursh

I've been on version 3 for years now, I want to upgrade but with each announcement I've never had the compassion to make a purchase, and I will probably skip this one aswell.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SexyToad

I will in October. I'm going to send my 4s to apple and pay I think 60 dollars and they'll replace it. Then sell that iPhone to Best Buy for around 300 dollars. Then buy the iPhone 5 with the money.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pantzing_nome

My 3GS is staring to fail on me and my contract ran out a few months ago so I'll probably be picking up a 5.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JaredA

I think I'm going to change from my HTC Evo 3D when my upgrade comes next fall, unless there is a new, cooler phone out by then.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By lumley

I'm using a Windows Phone 7 at the moment and my contract runs out in December so I'm currently planning on getting a new phone then. I think I'll probably go for the iPhone 5 (mainly because my iPod Touch has had it as well).

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm upgrading my original iPod Touch to the new one they announced. Will feel like a huge jump. Don't need the iPhone as I really don't want a contract phone yet.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By ShaggE

An iPhone 1 would be an upgrade. Not being anti-Apple, just never got one.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Jrinswand

@SexyToad said:

I will in October. I'm going to send my 4s to apple and pay I think 60 dollars and they'll replace it. Then sell that iPhone to Best Buy for around 300 dollars. Then buy the iPhone 5 with the money.

I'm not really sure what's going on there but it sounds like some sort of scam.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrcraggle

I'm using a Windows Phone right now (Omnia 7) and I think i'm gonna stick with it. WP8 looks like it's going to fix a lot of what's wrong with WP7.5 and I'm really liking the look of the Nokia Lumia 920, especially that display.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas

No I'm not a mindless sheep. I wouldn't waste my money on that garbage.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By nerdsbeware

@handlas said:

I'm not one either, in fact I pretty much dislike Apple products for the most part but a good phone is a good phone. My iPhone is the only Apple product I have. And sure I can get a good phone from other providers, but I like what the iPhone can do and it suits my needs so.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrpandaman

@Jrinswand said:

@SexyToad said:

I'm not really sure what's going on there but it sounds like some sort of scam.

A scam?... This is what some people like to call working the system :D

crow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crow13

I have a windows phone with T-mobile, its been replaced by them 6 times because their refurbished phones suck. My contract is up in November so i'm getting the new Iphone then. I don't like my windows phone, the apps are too expensive and it doesn't really have great 3rd party support. Seriously like every app you see says " Now Iphone and Android compatible " No Windows Phone option. Maybe in a few more versions down the road I will try a windows phone again like windows phone 10 or something but im just not satisfied with what it had to offer with this one.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Deathshroud

Yes , It will be my first apple product ever

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brandino

Personally i a going for the new Lumia. Never was a big apple fan or an iPhone fan.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By handlas

@nerdsbeware said:

@handlas said:

I'm not one either, in fact I pretty much dislike Apple products for the most part but a good phone is a good phone. My iPhone is the only Apple product I have. And sure I can get a good phone from other providers, but I like what the iPhone can do and it suits my needs so.

:D

Macs are the best. I have to work on a PC now (I'm a designer) and dear god I hate PCs so much. I was just being facetious.

That being sad, I "downgraded" to a Windows Phone and quite love the OS. I'm looking forward to the new Nokia Lumias.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to wait for the Lumia 920

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

That would be a pretty significant downgrade for me, so no.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By awesomeusername

@msavo said:

I'm upgrading my original iPod Touch to the new one they announced. Will feel like a huge jump. Don't need the iPhone as I really don't want a contract phone yet.

Same. Had my 4th gen for 2 years come December and it's still in great condition but the new one looks better. Plus, my iPod is a measly 8 GB's and I hate when apps and safari close out on me. I also usually have to press the home button 2-3 times for it to respond. So it looks brand spanking new but the innards are a bit messy I guess. Don't know how when I barely ever dropped it. I also barely use my phone so I roll with Metro PCS. Why get an iPhone when I talk to like 3 friends?

jasonmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jasonmartin

Yeak I'm Going to upgrade my iPhone 4G to Iphone 5 on Black Friday 2012.

Vigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vigil

I'd have to have an iPhone if I planned on upgrading to an iPhone 5, I'v also noticed a pretty big price difference between the US and UK market.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I still don't own a smartphone.

Old-fashioned, I guess.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MegaLombax

I was thinking of switching from my HTC Desire to the iPhone 5, mostly due to the apps. I just think the apps for the iPhone are a lot better compared to the Android market. That said, the reveal for the iPhone 5 was quite a letdown. So yea...undecided.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By handlas

@MegaLombax said:

I was thinking of switching from my HTC Desire to the iPhone 5, mostly due to the apps. I just think the apps for the iPhone are a lot better compared to the Android market. That said, the reveal for the iPhone 5 was quite a letdown. So yea...undecided.

I never get the obsession with the mentality of "I gotta have all the apps!" 90% if not more are crap. I listen to the Tested podcast every week and they always knock the Windows phone because they say there aren't any apps. That's like their major sticking point. Great phone but it has no apps so don't buy it!

What are these apps that are selling points for people? I buy phones for the hardware and OS. And, yes, iPhones are very nice phones. I had a 4, but I currently have a Lumia 900 because I really like the OS. I've never used an Android phone so I can't judge them.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Samaritan

Been looking for an excuse to ditch Sprint and get on Verizon for a good long time now, now I finally have it. So hell yeah I'm upgrading!

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TyCobb

@HistoryInRust said:

I still don't own a smartphone.

Old-fashioned, I guess.

Eh, it took me a few years to actually get a smartphone (at least what is now considered a smartphone). It is convenient at times having internet and a decent browser, but to be perfectly honest, I could live with just an old fashioned flip phone. Especially since I refuse to put work email on my phone.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

We buy things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

Nope, not interesting enough.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Andorski

Yup. My 32GB iPhone 4 is not enough space for all my music/podcasts. Gonna upgrade to the 64GB.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DukesT3

I have a 4S so my upgrade isn't until next year unless I go the "early upgrade" route with ATT. I'll probably buy one from Craigslist next month or something, I wanna see how the Lumia 920 works out and what the next Nexus will look like.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it funny that the one strong reason I want a smartphone is so I can use grooveshark with my playlists away from my PC. I'll probably end up with an iPhone 5 or a Samsung Galaxy S 3 by the end of the year, depending on whether or not grooveshark gets an official app on iPhones or not.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By apathylad

I'm on a 3GS. I've been wanting a faster iPhone to play some of the more intensive apps, so I'll probably go with the iPhone 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bocam said:

Really? The 4G connectivity alone should make it worth it...

Micke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Micke

No I won't downgrade from Galaxy S3

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By TheHBK

I am still stuck on my Blackberry so I am gonna definitely have an upgrade.

I am just not sure what people wanted. The only other thing Apple could have done is make the battery much bigger to affect battery life. But I think this is one where you have to hold it to notice the difference in design. What else could they have done? The iphone 3g was the jump to 3g. Then the 3GS was the speed bump. The 4 got the retina display. The 4S got the speed bump. The 5 gets 4G. It has the reliability and the eco system that is easy to use with Apps guaranteed to be on ios. So isn't that where the features come from? Does the phone do what you want? I think yes is the answer for most phones out now so it is just about if you want the more reasonable screen. The Tested podcast breaks it down nicely. I was considering getting a Windows phone, but honestly, it is about the apps. Maybe a redesign of the iphone is what people wanted but that would not affect what the phone does.

Though to be honest, I might be willing to trade weight and thinness, for a bigger battery.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By geirr

Absolutely; my course is 3GS, Galaxy S2, iPhone 5, Galaxy S4...?, iPhone 6.............?

Yeah.

SuperPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SuperPickle

I dont buy apple crap and this is a fucking video game website not applehipsters.com

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Portis

I'm quite content with Windows Phone, so nah.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Philantrophy

@wewantsthering: I don't know if 4G is available everywhere, so that feature depends on where you live.

I think the gap right now between the iPhone 5 and other phones is non existent, it might widen based on how much the person has invested in the appstore.

I was thinking the iPod touch looks really nice compared to my old walkman and that the new Nokia 920 looks nice.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bocam

@wewantsthering said:

@Bocam said:

Really? The 4G connectivity alone should make it worth it...

Where I live just got 3G.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MegaLombax

@handlas said:

@MegaLombax said:

I never get the obsession with the mentality of "I gotta have all the apps!" 90% if not more are crap. I listen to the Tested podcast every week and they always knock the Windows phone because they say there aren't any apps. That's like their major sticking point. Great phone but it has no apps so don't buy it!

What are these apps that are selling points for people? I buy phones for the hardware and OS. And, yes, iPhones are very nice phones. I had a 4, but I currently have a Lumia 900 because I really like the OS. I've never used an Android phone so I can't judge them.

It's not about getting all the apps, that'd be just plain crazy. It's about having more options. Personally, I feel comfortable with a variety of choices. Some apps are good, some aren't. With a lot more apps offered, that distribution is larger so to me that's a good thing as a consumer.

If you buy phones for hardware and OS, then good for you. For some, like myself, apps somewhat define the smart phone experience. The way I see it, apps allow me to fully appreciate the extent of a good hardware and OS.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bell_End

i don't have contract phones. i bought a 3GS about 3 years ago and used that until i got a second hand 4 off ebay a few month ago. pretty sure that will see me ok for another few years. so yeha i will upgrade to a 5.. just not for a few years yet

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Rafaelfc

I will upgrade from my old-ass 3G to an iPhone 5 for sure!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm using the release of iPhone 5 as a reason to move over from Android. I've been using a Motorola Droid X for the past two years, it's certainly a solid phone, but I just don't have much confidence in the future of the Android platform.

There's just far too much fragmentation in the Android ecosystem, in terms of both hardware and software, for it to ever be a place where app developers can thrive. As someone who has done some Android development, it's frustrating when you have to make the decision to target a version of the OS that's a few years old just to make sure you can hit a decent percentage of the user base. There's virtually no promotion or excitement around Android marketplace releases either. If you ever were to release an incredible app on Android, the majority of the comments you're going to get are people asking you about when it will be available on iPhone.

Apple has created a space where app developers can safely target the latest OS version and a very small number of hardware variations, making it possible for them to make use of the latest SDK improvements without concern of cutting out a massive segment of the user base. Not to mention the fact that Apple does a great job of promoting the app marketplace and top developers.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By Humanity

@SuperPickle said:

I dont buy apple crap and this is a fucking video game website not applehipsters.com

It's also not angsty-teens.com

Some people really hate Apple products. My iPhone is the only Apple product I own and if I can and the price with a contract upgrade is right I will upgrade from my iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5.

I will do this because I like the way the iPhone works as a phone and multimedia internet device.

Also because my iPhone 4 is starting to wear out a bit.

What is wrong with wanting to have a new piece of hardware when it comes out? The term "Hipsters" gets thrown around so abundantly these days it has completely replaced the old fashioned derogatory "nerd" or "geek." Now it's cool to be nerdy, but don't be TOO cool or else you might be a hipster and god forbid you actually walk into a Starbucks you piece of shit hipster trash.

crunchbitejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By crunchbitejr

Yeah probably. My iPhone 4 is wearing a bit and I loathe new phone shopping. I can get a hassle free upgrade, know what I'm getting and I keep all my apps.