• 90 results
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

There is a chance that I might start homeschooling next year for reasons that are irrelevant. I was wondering if anyone here has done homeschooling and could list the pros and cons of doing so. Also, would I have to have a parent or a tutor, or is there some way to take online courses of whatever? Excuse my ignorance. Thanks in advance.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'd list the lack of being in a social environment consistently every week as being a con.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By jmrwacko

I got homeschooled by yo momma - in bed! Oooooh!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Is it actual homeschooling, or is it just tutoring?

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jmrwacko
@Vinchenzo said:
" I'd list the lack of being in a social environment consistently every week as being a con. "
Hmm, maybe we grew up differently, but I consider not being surrounded by retarded public schoolers a plus, personally.
Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Dom
@Vinchenzo said:
" I'd list the lack of being in a social environment consistently every week as being a con. "
that's true, we learn as much in the playground as we do in a classroom
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By natetodamax
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Is it actual homeschooling, or is it just tutoring? "
I don't even know. 

@Vinchenzo said:
That's my biggest concern.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Lies
@Vinchenzo said:
This. Homeschooling might seem appealing, but forming social skills is a pretty big part of high school. Homeschooling will just delay the pain, not make it go away.

Of course you may have tons of friends and that point might be irrelevant, but the social aspect is something not to be underestimated.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Tireyo

No. I know some people that have been homeschooled though.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I'm homeschooled, in 8th grade. I'm going to school next year to socialize and make more friends. You know, just be round people. Since you went to school, homeschooling will be great because you already have your friends that you can hang out with, and now you will have shorter school days. 

Now, cyberschool is COMPLETELY different from homeschooling. In cyber school, it's like going to school through the computer, you have a teacher that speaks using a headset and all that, I have never done that though. What I do is school on the computer. It show all my lessons for the day (math, science, etc.) and I'll click the lessons in the order I want to do them. There will be stuff to read, and there will be question. You can read, then fill the questions, do the questions as you go along, etc. It's great really. With stuff like math, I know what I'm doing most of the time and can just to the work and be done, don't have to read shit. Every two weeks or so, my mom goes on to her account for the program to check the work. Just simple stuff like check my grades, the system checks all the other stuff. Of course, there are other curriculums.

I really like it, but again, I want to go to school just to be around more people. I think it would be great to go homeschooled. I sleep in until about 10am every day, and then to school until about 1-1:30pm. Same work as you,  but I don't have to have to listen to a teacher before I do my work. I work at my own pace. 

Sometimes if I'm really stuck, I'll just have my mom help me, if that's what you mean by tutor. The only reason I'm going to school is to meet more people...but my friend's friends seem like pricks. Oh well, fake friends to get through the year like a normal teen! I can't wait! 

Hope I helped.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pessh

I know some girl who did it online, there's teachers you can phone whenever and you do the work pretty much when you want. Said it was good for her because she didn't mind the lack of social interaction, I think that's the main thing you need to consider.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Lies said:

" @Vinchenzo said:

This. Homeschooling might seem appealing, but forming social skills is a pretty big part of high school. Homeschooling will just delay the pain, not make it go away.  Of course you may have tons of friends and that point might be irrelevant, but the social aspect is something not to be underestimated. "
I quite like not being around retards all day. I'm still going to 4 years of high school next year though, even though I have great social skills. 

Seriously, homeschoolers aren't these weird secluded nerds like people think they are. All my friend's friends from the school like me, even though I hate them. I have REAL friends for anything outside of school. 

Also, if you need to be around people to survive, that's pathetic. Grow a spine and have some independence. I love to hang out with my friends when I get the chance, don't get me wrong, but I don't thrive off of them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hehe.  I think people should do whatever they need to do to survive.  Because their life ain't none o' my business.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a lot of Fine girls at my school, i would consider the lack of them a Con.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By oldschool
@natetodamax said:
" There is a chance that I might start homeschooling next year for reasons that are irrelevant. I was wondering if anyone here has done homeschooling and could list the pros and cons of doing so. Also, would I have to have a parent or a tutor, or is there some way to take online courses of whatever? Excuse my ignorance. Thanks in advance. "
We home schooled our children for about 6 years Nate, for reasons that aren't relevant.  Their teacher was their mother and I was the main organiser of it.  It started in grades 2/4 and finished as such in years 7/9 (2 kids).  When they went back to school, it was part time school and part time home school - about 2 at school, 3 at home. 

We aren't religious, so don't assume that is the reason (it is for a lot).  When they went back to school they were so far ahead of the classes they joined it was ridiculous.  They found much of it tedious as there is so much wasted time at school.  Despite the doomsayers, both kids were socially good.  We did compensate the lack of interaction on a large scale by getting them into other activities like arts and sport.  It isn't like you never see anyone. 

As for the work, you just get books that pretty much follow the standard curriculum.  You can use the internet for a lot of it as well.  The real key is discipline.  You must spend a whole school day doing work.  In doing so, you will be doing at least twice the amount of work school kids do, probably a lot more.  Your parent could school perfectly fine and if they can afford it, use a tutor some of the time. 

Pros: 
Less retarded kids (not literally) to deal with. 
Less stupid and bad teachers to deal with. 
You will be better educated. 
You will do more work (if you are disciplined). 

Cons: 
Let social interaction (which can be compensated elsewhere). 
Can fail bad, if you rack a dissaprin. 

As a parent who has done this Nate, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it at anytime.
canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By canucks23

From all my experience... home schooled people are weird

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@oldschool said:
" @natetodamax said:
" There is a chance that I might start homeschooling next year for reasons that are irrelevant. I was wondering if anyone here has done homeschooling and could list the pros and cons of doing so. Also, would I have to have a parent or a tutor, or is there some way to take online courses of whatever? Excuse my ignorance. Thanks in advance. "
 It isn't like you never see anyone.
Really... not strange dungeon people. People think of it like we never go outside.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By sjschmidt93

Just try not to sleep with you're teacher, it won't make you cooler.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By HandsomeDead

I have never heard of homeschooling working to someone's advantage.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @oldschool said:
" @natetodamax said:
Really... not strange dungeon people. People think of it like we never go outside. "
The level of ignorance about hone school is enormous.  Like anything, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  It comes down to commitment.  South Park made it funny and at the same time, didn't help.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@oldschool said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @oldschool said:
" @natetodamax said:
Really... not strange dungeon people. People think of it like we never go outside. "
The level of ignorance about hone school is enormous.  Like anything, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  It comes down to commitment.  South Park made it funny and at the same time, didn't help. "
I went to school for a day (the school said it would be good to see where I fit in, whatever)and everybody was so shocked when I said I was homeschooled. I look, act, and am a normal person.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By wefwefasdf

I was homeschooled from 2nd grade till I graduated highschool. As long as you have hobbies and places to meet people and make friends it is alright. You might end up hating your mom... Just sayin.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunExplosions

I met someone that was home-schooled last weekend at a party. She was older than me and was explaining to me how stupid most people are for having jobs, and that everyone should just sell drugs like her, because she makes so much money. Then she proceeded to ridicule me some more, because I work for a living. Then I realized this was her thinly-veiled way way of hitting on people. Then I realized she used to be home-schooled, sells drugs, was pretty smashed/high, and not very attractive.

Moral: If you are home-schooled you will become an ugly chick desperate for sex and crazy about money, not caring what you need to do to get either.
You don't want to become a female drug-dealer, do you?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By oldschool
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @oldschool said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @oldschool said:
" @natetodamax said:
The level of ignorance about hone school is enormous.  Like anything, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  It comes down to commitment.  South Park made it funny and at the same time, didn't help. "
I went to school for a day (the school said it would be good to see where I fit in, whatever)and everybody was so shocked when I said I was homeschooled. I look, act, and am a normal person. "
Define normal  :/ 

Aside from being at the top of the class, no-one really picks up on the home school thing.  My eldest is in college finishing year 12 and is a year younger than her peers and they are normally shocked to discover she can't go to the pub with them as she has a long wait for 18 (drinking age).  It hasn't affected her slightly.   

Things is, some kids fail at home school, but guess what, kids fail at formal school - a lot.  There is no single answer.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By natetodamax
@bjorno: Seriously?
bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bjorno

social interactions are an important part of growing up, YO

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You can take online classes instead of your mom teaching you. 

Pros:  Take it in your own time, graduate faster.
Cons: Not being around peers, not being able to take electives that you want.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Feser
@oldschool:
Most homeschoolers I have met tend to be exceptional students and individualistic. But that not's what the OP wants to hear, so to respond to both of you guys, I, as a homeschooled kid, think the negatives for being homeschooled are relatively nil. Part of this is that so many classes in Highschool require more grinding than any MMORPG ever created, and by the time you finish Highschool any interest you had in that give subject has been ground out. If the OP is worrie about social interaction then do what you (Oldschool) said and take a few classes at Highschool. Personally, I didn't; but I wasn't much of one to hang out with people my age and I skipped to a community college half-way through tenth grade (I don't stand out in the slightest). 

And Natetomax, if you get homeschooled you will have alot more free time on your hand.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjorno said:
" social interactions are an important part of growing up, YO "
Word. I would've hate to be home-schooled. And to the teenagers who say "everyone at school is lame blah blah" - again, it's part of growing up. It helps make you a better person. Not everyone you meet is gonna be super awesome. You're gonna meet some pricks here and there. Also, the ladies. So many fine-lookin' ladies at school, why would you skip out on that?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By natetodamax
@Feser: I have a cousin that is homeschooled and they take 2 or 3 classes at school, which, if I were to be homeschooled, is something I would probably do.
Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Feser
@natetodamax:
I depends on how your state works (Or country, because I don't where you live), but I knew a few kids that took College classes the same time as they took Highschool classes - with both classes counting as classes at both schools (Make sense?!). Anyways, the beauty of it is that you have a wider option of classes to take and if you end up not like the homeschooling part then you could just take more Highschool the next quarter. Least try a little homeschooling, and (this also depends on the state/country) whatever you do while homeschooling should count as credit at your local Highschool.
N3onThr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By N3onThr33
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @oldschool said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @oldschool said:
" @natetodamax said:
I went to school for a day (the school said it would be good to see where I fit in, whatever)and everybody was so shocked when I said I was homeschooled. I look, act, and am a normal person. "
yeah, same here. I'm homeschooled but am totally normal. :P just watch out for the stereotypical homeschoolers, they do exist... >_<
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oldschool
@Feser said:
"And Natetomax, if you get homeschooled you will have alot more free time on your hand. "
Dear lord, that means his post count will go through the roof  :/
Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cramsy

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35  Edited By wefwefasdf
@N3onThr33 said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @oldschool said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @oldschool said:
" @natetodamax said:
yeah, same here. I'm homeschooled but am totally normal. :P just watch out for the stereotypical homeschoolers, they do exist... >_< "
It is very true. I know a family that owns a small bus for all their kids. Scary. 0_o
Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Feser
@oldschool:
Is it wrong to aim for Marino's point count, yet only in posts?
Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#37  Edited By Brackynews

I haven't caught what level of schooling you're talking about, Nate.  It may be important to check what your local regulations are.  Education without some piece of paper at the end of it, is just called "reading". ;)
The Canadian province where I live, you can only "homeschool" until Grade 8.  Taking high school level must be done through the board of education, which means a) certified private school, b) attending high school or c) taking correspondence courses via the board of education.  There are usually two more options for adults: the G.E.D. which is a test on Grade 12 equivalence, and Adult Basic Education which typically gives you a proper high school transcript for getting in to college/university.  Your mileage may vary depending on where you live. I know next to nothing about education policies in the states.

If you're talking about post-secondary (aka tertiary) school, then yeah, any combination you can think of for attending or not attending a physical campus, is out there. I'm back at university after several years of working in my field. I had the choice of correspondence+career or attending campus full time. A campus is definitely a social and professional bonus. Friends happen, and the peers and professors you meet will influence the rest of your life.  Japan wants to see a Bachelor's degree in order for me to work there.  Doesn't matter how well I've done for myself with a 2-year diploma. :)

Also, Peter Petrelli is right.  Life gets a lot better after high school.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By MisterMouse

I was homeschooled when I was a lot younger, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. When I came back into the normal school system, I was ahead. So I think that it is really dependent upon how the education goes, and if you are willing to put more into it than a normal school system.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By natetodamax
@Cramsy said:
"   
"
Oh god that was painful to watch.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rowr

who cares if your a little bit better educated if everyone thinks your a fucking weiner because you dont know how to talk to people and not be a weiner.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By natetodamax
@Rowr said:
" who cares if your a little bit better educated if everyone thinks your a fucking weiner because you dont know how to talk to people and not be a weiner. "
What?
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42  Edited By Termite

I was home-schooled from the second grade until the beginning of high-school, at which point I entered an online schooling program. Actually, to be more accurate, I was sort of unintentionally unschooled for most of that time. Lots of family problems got in the way of my parents actually teaching me anything, so I ended up having to rely on my own curiosity for education. It worked out okay, as I did exceptionally well on the little evaluation test the program gave me when I first enrolled, but I was definitely lucky. 

As for the regular home-schooling that most people get, it works perfectly fine. Just don't do what I did.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bhhawks78

Honestly Kindergarten to at least highschool is all about 

A.  Basic Math/reading/writing skills

B.  Meeting people, learning how to interact with people, learning how to lie/tell when someone is lying, dealing with deadlines/a schedule, things like that.

To be successful in life B is more important, A can be taught at home, B can't.

If you are stuck homeschooled make it a point to do things in the community even if you hate it.  Sports/your religious community of choice/music/the gym/ANYTHING don't treat homeschooling as a vacation from the world.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bhhawks78
@oldschool said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @oldschool said:
" @natetodamax said:
This is because 90% of the time when you find out someone (yes made of number) is homeschooled it's only because they are strange/anti social/super creepy religious in some way and you ask them/ask someone else and find out they are/were homeschooled.
I'd argue most of the time when you meet someone who is/was homeschooled it never comes up so you don't know.

Also I'm of the opinion 70-80% of the country are borderline retarded and shouldn't be allowed to vote let alone further corrupt their own child through homeschooling.  So odds are if you're homeschooled I think the people that homeschooled you are idiots, hence you are one.  Honestly though at this point I assume EVERYONE is an idiot until proven otherwise no matter where they were taught.
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tunaburn

you know whats the biggest con about homeschooling to me? not having a teacher. your parents are not teachers. sure they can read a textbook and tell you what it says but odds are it wont make any more sense to them than it does to you.

p.s. i know this doesnt apply to everyone. some people are smart and great teachers and will make good homeschool educators. but the majority of people are not these people.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By habster3

A while ago I had to be pulled out of my school and homeschooled for a little over a month; I rarely got out of the house, I had no social interaction, and I would recommend something: if a parent teaches you, make sure they are involved with you in learning; otherwise, YOU WILL BE BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

I was homeschooled from kindergarten to 4th grade, then I transferred to a private school, then public school. 

When I transferred to the private school, I was way ahead of the kids cuz my mom did such a good job. Then when I transferred to the public school, I had a ridiculous advantage cuz my private school did a great job. Then I discovered pot.  

/story

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By oldschool
@Feser said:
" @oldschool: Is it wrong to aim for Marino's point count, yet only in posts? "
That's one big number to go after.  If he does, there will be no internet left for the rest of us. 

In the end it does come down largely to the parents.  A fundamentalist christian is going to raise a fundamentalist christian, an Islamist is going to raise an Islamist  et cetera.  The bias of the parents will clearly show through.  In my case, I am not religious, I work in the corporate world and was educated to University level and it impacts on how we teach and view things.  Nate's parents influence is critical.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rowr
@natetodamax said:
" @Rowr said:
" who cares if your a little bit better educated if everyone thinks your a fucking weiner because you dont know how to talk to people and not be a weiner. "
What? "
homeschool 9 times out of 10 = weiner.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By Kyreo
@natetodamax: I was homeschooled for all of high school (for reasons that are irrelevant) and I finished in three years.