Audio know the reel way

AWittyName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Recently I have been going through my dad’s old things to keep what I can. I found a reel to reel and wanted to know the best way to record off it and put it on my PC. On my PC I have a line in and a mic jack. I have bought Fruity Loops in the past (I only mess with it rarely and am not great with it). I don’t know if that is good enough or is there something better out there that’s free. Also I should say my budget for this is $0. I think I have all the cables and connectors I would need to hook it up. I want to try to get the best sound I can because my dad use to sing and play the guitar on them. So I would want a good copy to keep. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd see about getting a USB based line in solution[usb soundcard with mic in] as it'll likely have less noise than your onboard line in as it should, in theory, have less interference [but only do this if the hiss is noticable]. Also, you might need to check to see if the reel to reel needs any further amplification, if it's quiet you'll need to run it through an amplifier.

Keep an eye on levels whilst recording, the moment it starts going red or 'peaking' that's your queue to start over an either turn down the source or the recording volume on your computer. Audacity will be fine for recording and is free.

Mrhnmrh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think Fruity loops will do fine, you're doing basic recording so audacity will work also, but you have FL so just use it. You're not going to get the best sound quality on the PC line in or mic in, but if your budget is 0$ you can hook it to line in. Keep recording below clipping and you should be fine. Yesiamaducks advice about external USB card is good but considering your budget you should test the PC line in first. If you wish to improve audio recording quality, consider the usb card.