• 129 results
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Milkman

The other thread on the front page "Crappy albums by good bands" got me thinking that a lot of bands out there, no matter how good, have at least one clunker in their discography. So, the question arose: Which one of your favorite bands has never released a poor album in your eyes?  Try to keep the bands at a minimum of 4 or 5 albums because saying that one band released 2 good albums isn't really saying much.

The first band that comes to mind for me is Alkaline Trio, while some "purist" fans may hate me for it, I've enjoyed everything that band has produced.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Poets of the Fall and Midnight Brown come to mind immediately. It's a hard question. I like Metallica a bunch, but I don't really enjoy their early stuff. And I tend to cherry pick songs from artists rather than listen to an entire album.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By spazmaster666

For me personally, the Red Hot Chili Peppers haven't released a "bad" album yet. One Hot Minute was probably the weakest so far, but not what I would call "bad." Another artist that comes to mind would be Rie Fu.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Trash Talk.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Porcupine Tree has changed it's style several times but I feel all of their albums have been excellent.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By NickL

nickelback

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik
Hmmm, I'm going to put my thinking cap on (read: trawl through iTunes) to see what I can come up with. I'll get back to you.

@Milkman said:
" The first band that comes to mind for me is Alkaline Trio, while some "purist" fans may hate me for it, I've enjoyed everything that band has produced. "
Thanks, mate. You've just picked my afternoon music selection for me. Man, those guys have some great pop rock tunes.

@spazmaster666 said:
" One Hot Minute was probably the weakest so far, but not what I would call "bad." "
See, I loved One Hot Minute and have a good friend who thinks I'm batpoop loopy because I hold this opinion. The current-day Peppers output (say, the last couple of albums) sound like they're treading water to me, though.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By spazmaster666
@buzz_clik said:

See, I loved One Hot Minute and have a good friend who thinks I'm batpoop loopy because I hold this opinion. The current-day Peppers output (say, the last couple of albums) sound like they're treading water to me, though. "

Well, musically speaking, the Chili Peppers have definitely continued to get better over the years (John in particular, I mean compare him post Californication era vs. him during BSSM era and there's no contest). And personally as much as I loved Blood Sex Sugar Magik, you really can't blame them for growing up and playing some more serious tunes. Also, Stadium Arcadium could have been their best album, if they had trimmed some of the fat.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Coombs
@NickL said:
" nickelback "
.....God I hope your trolling.
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rockdalf
@NickL said:
" nickelback "
YOU GO TO HELL.
Karolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#11  Edited By Karolis

The Roots, 10 albums strong now, not a single bad record.

Avatar image for guitarjunkie1123
guitarjunkie1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By guitarjunkie1123

I just want to preface this by stating that, although GB has a fairly open minded community, I still feel as though this thread is headed toward a flamewar. That being said, one of the bands who have produced many albums, all of which I have enjoyed for their own merits, in the recent past is: Incubus. I think they've provided a relatively high quality and varied product with each album they've produced. Just throwing in my two cents...though undoubtedly there are many who think me a fool for my opinion.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By captain_clayman

pantera?  well... 
if you only include their CD's from 1990 and up.  cowboys was awesome, vulgar is GENIUS, FBD was super heavy but still good, i didn't like Southern Trendklil but apparently a lot of people did, and reinventing the steel was decent. 

slayer because all of their music sounds the same, and if you like one CD you'll like all of them. 

iron maiden never had a TERRIBLE CD for the same reason slayer didn't.  although brave new world was kind of underwhelming to a lot of people. 

and mastodon because mastodon is awesome. 

mgmt because they've only released two CD's both of which are AAMAAAAAZING

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By buzz_clik

Just a few from me:

Amon Tobin - Everything this dude does is awesome. Even Foley Room, while not his best work, was still a really interesting experiment and yielded some great tracks. I first heard him in 1998 and for years I would say he should do the score to a Bond film. Things went one better for me years later when he did the soundtrack to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. I mean, what gets better than Amon Tobin doing a filmic score for a video game?

Ben Folds - I honestly can't think of anything that was crap. Even the bogus Way To Normal album he made was great, and that was just him cocking around.

Cop Shoot Cop - They did some stuff that wasn't as good as other stuff, but I bought every album and loved every one of 'em. The frowned-upon (by CSC purists) 1994 album Release is one of my favourites by them and was a great way for them to go out.

QOTSA - Even though I think Era Vulgaris is their weakest album, there's still enough meat there to keep it out of clunker territory.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jkz

First band that comes to mind is probably Poets of the Fall, although Revolution Roulette wasn't really up to their standards, it was still better than the shit most bands shovel out. 

Probably the Roots as well. 

And in my mind, Aesop Rock, but that's sort of a love-it-or-hate-it pick. Also, he's not in a band. Oh well.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By buzz_clik
@captain_clayman said:
" iron maiden never had a TERRIBLE CD... "
Yeah, going through all the music on my machine I saw Iron Maiden there, but couldn't in good conscience say they never had a bad album because I haven't bought any of the later stuff. In fact, the last one I bought was SSoaSS.
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By DCFGS3

For me I don't think Disturbed has a bad album, but you could argue that they all sound the same. For me the weakest was Indestructible, because there are a few songs I don't like on it, but then others that are awesome, so it still keeps it in the 'good' album category.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Red12b
@Coombs said:
" @NickL said:
" nickelback "
.....God I hope your trolling. "
Beat me by 22 minutes. 
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Vonocourt

Uh, the only band that comes to mind is Floor. They only had a two album run though. Same with Tight Bros from Way Back When.

I like the entire discography of Califone, yeah this is kind of hard. Most of the bands I come up that meet the requirement only have like two albums.

thatguy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thatguy42

The Beatles I suppose 
I've had an interesting experience with The Arctic Monkeys.  I tend to dislike their albums at first, but grow to love them. 
Coheed and Cambria

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mmmslash
@guitarjunkie1123:  Really? I always thought Crow was really, really weak.
SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By SumDeus

Not Nickleback.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheHT

I've liked all of Franz Ferdinands stuff. 'Tonight' isn't as good as their previous but it's still a good album.

Lupe Fiasco's two albums are both phenominal.

If not for 'Von' Sigur Ros would definitely be one.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FacelessVixen

To me: Rammstein, Deftones, Dio, and AC/DC.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By MadBootsy

Gotta go with Creed, bro.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Three0neFive

Nickelback, Soulja Boy, Justin Beiber, Dragonforce, Ke$ha

zachariahus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zachariahus

Midnight Brown.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hot_Karl
@Lone_f said:
" The Roots, 10 albums strong now, not a single bad record. "
I'd agree just because Rising Down isn't so much a clunker as it is a disappointment (decent, however). 

LCD Soundsystem. I know I'm obsessed with them and whatnot but those three albums (or I guess 5 if you count each CD of the debut as a separate album, and also 45:33 but that and the remix CD seems more like an awesome side-project rather than an actual album) are phenomenal. Nary a bad song in any album.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Red

I'm not much of a full-album listener, but I haven't listened to a bad Radiohead album.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EvilDingo
@spazmaster666 said:
" @buzz_clik said:

See, I loved One Hot Minute and have a good friend who thinks I'm batpoop loopy because I hold this opinion. The current-day Peppers output (say, the last couple of albums) sound like they're treading water to me, though. "

Well, musically speaking, the Chili Peppers have definitely continued to get better over the years (John in particular, I mean compare him post Californication era vs. him during BSSM era and there's no contest). And personally as much as I loved Blood Sex Sugar Magik, you really can't blame them for growing up and playing some more serious tunes. Also, Stadium Arcadium could have been their best album, if they had trimmed some of the fat. "
To me It seems like crazy-talk to insinuate, that the album that gave a band their mainstream break-through, should somehow be considered the one album that come closest at being defined as "bad"
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By JJWeatherman

The closest any of my favorite bands come to having a perfect track record so to speak is Pearl Jam, but they have one album I don't love. There ARE a handful of really good songs on that album though, so I don't hate it. So yeah, I guess in my opinion Pearl Jam. 

(btw, the album in question is Binaural)

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hitchenson
@Three0neFive said:

" Nickelback, Soulja Boy, Justin Beiber, Dragonforce, Ke$ha "

Trololololololololololololololololololololol 

Of course people will disagree, but I utterly love everything SOAD and Rise Against have put out.
ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ErrorOperator

I think that Muse's albums just get better and better!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By penguindust

If we only count studio albums, Led Zeppelin and The Doors (Morrison albums).  The Beatles, too but that's a given in my book.  I can't think of any others because the longer a band exists the great their chance of a misfire.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Akeldama

Born of Osiris

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Thoseposers

Pink Floyd and Muse

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mrskidders

Im going to have to go with Coheed and Cambria.  I personally enjoyed everything they have released so far.

SaintMits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SaintMits

Mastodon. I love 'em.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#39  Edited By Jazz

For me personally: Ben Folds. Minus the bear. Smashing Pumpkins. A Perfect Circle.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sarge1445

The Beatles

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ProfessorEss

AC/DC, The Beatles, Beastie Boys, Billy Talent, Big Wreck/Thornley are the only ones that come to mind for me. 
I can think of a lot of others who were close, but had one stinker in their library.

(lotta Bs in there)

JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus

Foo Fighters

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8c6f8176a85
deactivated-5f8c6f8176a85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alice in Chains with Layne

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iKANNIBAL

Simple. ALICE IN CHAINS,  before Layne died, even their not so popular songs are hits, Jerry Cantrell is an excellent composer and writer  definately in my top 5 of greatest writers of all time in popular music, and he doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. & Layne was a badass man, could make any song his own, goddamit the bastard why couldn't he have lived! 

I'd probably include Deftones in the list as well they always put 100% in their songs.

SpaceDandie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By SpaceDandie

Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor is a genius.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Sublime and Nirvana.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Red12b
@ErrorOperator said:
" I think that Muse's albums just get better and better! "
I would have agreed with you before their latest offering, not that great. or should I say not as good. 

The black seeds, A great NZ band, 

Eskimo Joe, An Aussie Band. 

There are many bands that I would love to say, but there is always one that just doesn't tack up.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sambambo

blink 182 EDIT: Forgot about Budda and Flyswatter... Discount blink 182 from this list.
Fall Out Boy
Mcfly (yup)
Slipknot
Trivium

And many other bands, but they havent released enough.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By xMP44x

Rise Against, I'd say. They have five albums that I know of - four of which are major releases, and one of which is just a small release. The weakest in my eyes is likely either The Unraveling or Revolutions Per Minute, though I'd gladly listen to either album due to the fact that they're great. They're the worst by Rise Against, but that does not make them bad in my eyes.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gav47
@thatguy42 said:
"I've had an interesting experience with The Arctic Monkeys.  I tend to dislike their albums at first, but grow to love them."
I have found it really hard to like Humbug