Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I really like video games therefore I own a lot of them. However, many of these games sit on my shelf unfinished. I could make the excuse that “I’ve been very busy lately. I don’t have time for games.” but the truth is that I play my games all the time. The problem is that I keep getting distracted by shiny new games. I have now accumulated quite a large back log of unfinished games and it’s becoming depressing thinking about all the money I’ve wasted on these games. So I have decided to make a vow! I’m going to conquer my gaming ADD and beat all the games in my back log. I’ve created a list of every game I own that I have not finished. I’m going to pick one game at a time from the list and play nothing else until I finish it then move onto the next game on the list until I’ve played them all.

"Beat'n My Games" will chronicle my quest to finish my back log. I will have two posts for each game. In the first post I’ll say what the game is and why I purchased it and in the second post I’ll say what I thought about the game. I’m also going to restraint myself and not purchase any new games until I’ve completed this mission. Wish me luck.

Stay tuned for my first entry!

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I really like video games therefore I own a lot of them. However, many of these games sit on my shelf unfinished. I could make the excuse that “I’ve been very busy lately. I don’t have time for games.” but the truth is that I play my games all the time. The problem is that I keep getting distracted by shiny new games. I have now accumulated quite a large back log of unfinished games and it’s becoming depressing thinking about all the money I’ve wasted on these games. So I have decided to make a vow! I’m going to conquer my gaming ADD and beat all the games in my back log. I’ve created a list of every game I own that I have not finished. I’m going to pick one game at a time from the list and play nothing else until I finish it then move onto the next game on the list until I’ve played them all.

"Beat'n My Games" will chronicle my quest to finish my back log. I will have two posts for each game. In the first post I’ll say what the game is and why I purchased it and in the second post I’ll say what I thought about the game. I’m also going to restraint myself and not purchase any new games until I’ve completed this mission. Wish me luck.

Stay tuned for my first entry!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Giantstalker

I should probably try doing a similar thing with all my unfinished purchases, which are numerous enough to make me legitimately shameful at this point

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

I find this happening to me, too. How is this even possible? I don't even buy things on Steam, but my library is starting to overwhelm me?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By laserbolts

I usually finish games when I buy them but god damn I have bought alot of games this year. I need to go through the ol backlog myself but skyrim will postpone that for a while I think.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Azteck

I never had a backlog but since I got my PC it's been piling up alarmingly fast because of how goddamn cheap it all is. It's a curse

WEB_War4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By WEB_War4

I think once you hit 100 games to play, you go into fetal position mode. I don't know which one to play first! Sleep. Wake, now let's pick one. Naw, sleep.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By soldierg654342

The save for a AC2, AC2B, and Condemned, the only games I have that I have not completed are due to the fact that I don't have a good enough computer.

There's an easy way to avoid a backlog of games; if you still have games to play, stop buying more games. The exception, of course, being sales.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BBQBram

Yeah it's quite a sad affair, always hyping myself on new games with all that backlog to complete.

Seth2681

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did ya get it finished?

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seth2681: Wow this is an old post, I was still in college when I originally made this "mission statement". But to answer your question, no I didn't finish all the games in my backlog. However, over the past six years I've just learned to buy less games and to get rid of games in my backlog that I know I am never going play again, either by selling them or giving them to friends/family that want them. I also learned that keeping a list of every game I need to play just stressed me out so instead I keep lists of all the games I finish every year that I put on GiantBomb, which I found to be a much better motivator for me.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@lentfilms: I think that's a good attitude to have. At least I like to think so because that's my approach too. :)

As long as you stay within your financial means and have fun, it doesn't really matter if every name gets crossed off the list.

e.g. If I feel I can only spend 60 dollars in a month on games, and I buy 3 games at 20 whilst only playing and enjoying 1-2 of them, is that somehow worse than buying 1 game at 60 and enjoying it? I personally don't think so. And I don't think the 20-40 dollars on the unplayed games is necessarily wasted. Every game a person plays is somewhat of an unknown anyway and there's no guarantee you'd like them anyway.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually doing something similar for 2018. Not buying any new games for myself (besides one upcoming game if I get a gift card for Christmas) and if anyone just can't think of a birthday/Christmas present for that year besides a game, it has to be for the Switch, which I won't be touching for that year so I can focus on all these PS3 games I have lying around.