Best offline multiplayer experience

eyehook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By eyehook

I enjoy multiplayer game types, but I generally despise playing them online.  Maybe it's because I'm over 30 (!!!), but I really don't have the patience to deal with cheaters, glitchers, rage quitters, squeaky/singing 10 year olds, my own personal obsession with online kill percentages, and the whole slew of other downers that come with online play.  Unfortunately, more and more the focuse seems to be moving towards botless, team based gameplay (which in theory is great, but... see above).  Yes, I've had great online experiences but they are far fewer than the annoyances.  Sooooo, that said, here's a list of a few of my personal favorite offline multiplayer games (that you can play against bots).  (Sorry I haven't gotten a PS3, so I don't know about Killzone 2 offline play...)

Unreal Tournament 3 
old school, fast, and fun; more twich than tactics 

Shadowrun 
luckily I didn't care about the license, so this game is a blast--and cheap! 

Gears of War 2 
you've played it; I only wish it'd fast forward to the end of a match if you get killed 

Quake Wars: Enemy Territory
ugly as hell, but fun tactical play with fairly smart bots 

Perfect Dark Zero 
a bit slow for my tastes, but still fun for sniping and crafty demolitions 

Hopefully you'll have some more suggestions!  (And just saying "play the campaign" doesn't count--I'm talking specifically about gameplay that you can hop into for 15-30 minutes and have a complete experience).

cheeriokilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By cheeriokilla

I never thought anyone would buy an online multiplayer game to play it offline with bots, I find that quite stupid in fact.  

Battlefield 2 with bots sucked ass.  

And bots ruined Star Wars: Battlefront and Battlefront 2

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Willy105

Smash Bros. Brawl

eyehook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By eyehook

@cheeriokilla Flamebait, much? *yawn*
eyehook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eyehook
@Willy105:
Good point, I left off fighting games.  Unfortunately I only have SFIV, which is pretty much only good online, IMHO.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By 71Ranchero

Why is it such a big deal to play online games offline with bots? Its still a game. Sometimes I just dont want to deal with server lists and whatnot so I will just play UT3 with bots, your in game in seconds compared to minutes. It also is great for when my damn rural internet cuts out because a strong wind moved the lines a bit. 

Anyway, UT3 is the only game like this I play offline. It works offline in a way that most games dont, it can actually be pretty hard if you crank up the AI.

callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By callumbay

My favourite offline multiplayer games are Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Timesplitters: Future Perfect, Soul Calibur III and Crash Team Racing :D!

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikeeegeee

Mario Party. Halo. Bomberman. NFL Blitz. SSX. Snowboard Kids. Mario Kart. NBA Street.

Thinking back to playing games with my brother and sisters, those were the first that came to mind.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By The_Philosopher

I like Star Wars BattleFront a lot. Also nothing is funner than Left 4 Dead or Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with a bunch of people all yelling at each other in the same room. Also Golden Eye is a classic.

eyehook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eyehook

Yep, I've been toying with the idea of getting Soul Calibur III... 

Ack.  Yeah, I can't believe I left of Left 4 Dead.  My only real peeve with it was that you couldn't play as a zombie offline.  But still great fun. 

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hatking
@iizcallum said:
"My favourite offline multiplayer games are Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Timesplitters: Future Perfect, Soul Calibur III and Crash Team Racing :D! "

OP pretty much listed all the ones I know on 360, however if you're willing to look back a bit the TimeSplitters series is brilliant offline.  In fact TimeSplitters 2 doesn't even offer online, so they suppliment that with a challenge mode.  The challenge mode in those games basically has you doing crazy abstract things in the multiplayer levels, anything from killing a horde of giant moose zombies to breaking all the glass in a level with bricks and even monkey curling.  It also has your typical multiplayer modes as well as a bunch of others, there is probably close to 15 unique game modes in those games.  There is no lack of options in the game.  Oh yes I forgot to mention characters.... there are lots(that is an understatement).  Yeah that is probably the best offline multiplayer series you could ever hope for.
eyehook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eyehook
@HatKing:
Sounds good.  I might just dust of an old console and check it out.  Thanks.
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nukesniper

Some of my best bot fun comes from Perfect Dark (the first one, as you said PDZ was a bit slow and jerky.) and Timesplitters. For an Xbox generation game, Timesplitters 2 and 3 are some quality games for bots. (bot slaughter specifically)

Counterstrike was fine to me with bots, until I played it online and realized that the bots are either A: fucking cheap (they know exactly where you are, no surprising them) or B: They are stupid as hell. (A couple tacos short of two tacos.) 

Battlefield 2142 was alright with bots, though sometimes they didn't listen to you.

Nintendo does a pretty nice job with its bot style games. Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are awesome games no matter the situation, but that could mainly be because Nintendo doesn't do enough online, so it has to work with what it actually DOES do.

Bots are fading out of existence in games nowadays and I can see why this would suck for some stuff. Gears 2 does it pretty well though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Goldeneye!!
Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hughes

Well LAN wouldn't be considered "online" right? Nothing much better than some good Counter-Strike over LAN.

Also, 4-player Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl on the same console. Everyone in the same room. Alliances are made. Friendships are broken.

Also, New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Bigandtasty

On the 360, Castle Crashers and Geometry Wars come to mind (though of course there is no need for bots here). The original Perfect Dark had a lot of opportunity for fun with bots.

I agree that bots should at least stay as an option.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By fwylo
@Willy105 said:
" Smash Bros. Brawl "
FrostyIsShibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By FrostyIsShibby

Timesplitters 2.

That game's offline multiplayer was incredible and my friends and I would play that **** to death. We were so addicted in fact, we bought another copy and did LAN competitions at my friends house.

Virus was awesome, after we got bored with that we did one-shot kill Mexican stand-offs, Kills-Losses TD and then wound down the night with Monkey DM.

So good.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MarkWahlberg

When I think multiplayer, I think me and a bunch of friends all crowded together in a room yelling at each other. With the right game that shit gets hilarious, and you don't have to worry about cheaters and such. And that' s why I don't take  anyone who hates on Halo seriously, because they just haven't played it the right way.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RetroIce4

Street Fighter, NBA JAM (Arcade Special Edition), Goldeneye/Perfect Dark (Your preference), Super Smash Bros. (The Entire Series is good, but Brawl is obviously the best), Soul Caliber, and Modern Warfare (COD 4 + 5) Those are the best games to play offline with friends.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually quite liked the Star Wars Battlefront game with bots. Much more so than playing online. Especially the second one. Gun-toting heroes were basically unstoppable. Fucking Han Solo. 

In terms of offline multiplayer against friends, the nod must go to the original Halo. Too many memories. In-jokes and rivalries and ridiculous moments abound.