Brad Defence Force

• 63 results
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I agree, he should definitely reconsider that transfer to Tibet.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I remember when Brad did Mile High on Recruit just to blow through to the end and plan out his route, and then got to the end and shot the hostage.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By JZ

I don't like brad because he is the most grumpy one of the bunch.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah I agree people need to calm down about Brad sucking at games. Everyone just accepts it at this point. Just close the chat. Its fucking embarassing.

karmaghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By karmaghost

I find it amusing that people who dislike Brad would watch a Quick Look featuring Brad at the controls of a game which they believe they know more about/are better at than Brad. Nothing about that makes sense, unless of course you apply the popular phrase "haters are going to hate."

For instance, I know that when I see a Quick Look with Brad and Patrick in it, I don't even bother watching it. Why? Doesn't matter, I just know I don't enjoy that particular pairing and I don't put myself in a position to be one of the "haters."

I like Brad (and Patrick, even) for the role he plays at GiantBomb.com: A Website About Videogames. And like every other member of the Bomb-crew, Brad has strengths and weaknesses. I think Brad just doesn't have a knack for driving quicklooks and I think part of that problem is he's easily distracted and loses focus on a whim. I can't blame him, really, but I think that's one reason why you'll often see him "waste time" at certain points. That said, I don't doubt for a second that Brad is good at games in general and he's clearly very smart and knowledgeable about "stuff." But again, everybody has their quirks. For instance:

• Jeff knows just too goddamn much about video games and makes me feel stupid constantly
  • Vinny plays with inverted controls
  • Patrick loves animation priority and is a cyborg
  • Ryan can be a bit snarky and obnoxious sometimes, especially when hosting live shows.
  • Speaking of "snark," Alex is the personification of a Gawker blog
  • Drew is "too damn blonde" and good at everything he touches. Every-thing.
  • Dave prefers the site with a white background

Giant Bomb isn't Giant Bomb without Brad, like it or not. Now go Google one of those hilarious "Deal With It" meme .gifs and pretend like I just sent that to you.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Getting mad at someone because you don't agree or because they're wrong. <The Internet Conundrum>

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I love Brad...although he has an annoying position on spoilers

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

BDF! BDF!

THEY KILLED THE CAPTAIN! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How did I not get involved in this?

Here's what I like about Brad: His reviews are usually well written and are often very reasonable in their criticism. He seems like a genuinely nice person. And on rare occasions he actually says something hysterical.

Here's what I don't: The man cannot explain himself in the present tense to save his life. He is hell's unholy scourge on the GOTY podcasts. I don't think he has enough background or is well read enough when it comes to visual art forms to speak articulately about them, so I don't know if he can distinguish between merely having an art style and executing well on an art style. And I suppose I don't think he picks up on subtext quite so much (though I can probably levy this at 85% of games writers, and sometimes myself).

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Butler

I can understand that Brad can be irritating sometimes when all we are doing is becoming a voyeuristic audience nitpicking him every time he is on screen or his game play is. But in the end who cares. I got no qualms with him. I mean the man enables God mode and still dies. In his own broken way he is beautiful.

Now Gamespot...I think they need to ditch Chris Waters or at least don't give him head chair. Patrick doesn't seem to jive with him very well. In recent history the latest Professional Wednesday was one of the most fun and that was partly due to Vindog magic and the lack of GS crew. Or just get that long haired chap that played Darkstalkers with Vinny. Sorry had to mini rant but I have no else to talk to on such matters because my friends don't watch Giantbomb.

@ravenlight said:

Language time!

"Duder" is gender-neutral. "Dudette" doesn't really make sense from a linguistic perspective anyway. "Dudess" would be more accurate.

-ette is the feminine suffix of some words in French. So it does make sense, in a "language is malleable" sort of way.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

How did I not get involved in this?

Here's what I like about Brad: His reviews are usually well written and are often very reasonable in their criticism. He seems like a genuinely nice person. And on rare occasions he actually says something hysterical.

Here's what I don't: The man cannot explain himself in the present tense to save his life. He is hell's unholy scourge on the GOTY podcasts. I don't think he has enough background or is well read enough when it comes to visual art forms to speak articulately about them, so I don't know if he can distinguish between merely having an art style and executing well on an art style. And I suppose I don't think he picks up on subtext quite so much (though I can probably levy this at 85% of games writers, and sometimes myself).

I don't necessarily agree with what you're saying, but would that "complaint" regarding Brad apply to all the rest of the staff?

Also, even if that's how you feel about some of his opinions on the Bombcasts, I don't think it should matter because his voice. And I, for one, do enjoy his vocabulary: I think he's able to sound articulate, while having an occasionally distinguishably old-timey vocabulary. Dude throws around words like "hoity toity" in the middle of a sentence. I can't say that about the vast majority of podcasters out there.

SuperTess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think Brad is fine. And by fine, I mean fiiiiiiiiine. I may find a staff member irritating from time to time, but I don't think I could ever fully hate on a single one of them. It's all good.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I wonder if he ever got that therapy

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail: Which complaint? Not picking up on subtext? Yeah, I could pretty much level that at the entire crew except for Alex. I think Alex is super obnoxious, but he's actually pretty well read across multiple art forms and understands things like narrative whereas some other members of the crew ape opinions they've heard smarter people profess.

Also I think you're confusing Brad articulating an opinion with the eloquence of his speech. I feel like in the moment Brad cannot find the words to express whatever nebulous concepts he has floating around in his head. The Skyrim GOTY argument is the magnum opus in this regard, where he grasps at different positive arguments attempting to find purchase like a cat scrambling to get out of a porcelain bath.

Keep in mind, I can come up with positives and negatives about every member of the staff. Butler said "voyeuristic nitpicking" and that's exactly what this is. I don't dislike Brad or anything like that, I merely saw a topic talking about him and submitted my opinion. I really don't have a hate boner for little Bradley Shoecrafter. I save that for Patrick.