Can We Help Patrick Find His Old/Get a New iPhone?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

esjacobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For some reason, Patrick's story of losing his iPhone over the weekend really got to me. It's like the suckiest possible thing that can happen to someone*, and because he called it a "$800 mistake," it makes me think that he didn't have insurance.

I'm probably the least tech savvy GB follower. I don't know how to do kickstarter or any of those funding sites, but I'd be personally willing to donate a few dollars to help Patrick get a new phone.

Anyone else? Anyone willing to give advice to me of how to do this in an easy way?

Also, if Patrick did find his phone and one of you (or Patrick) knows about this, please say so.

This is my first forum post ever and I have no idea what I'm doing.

*Yes, I realize this is a very first-world problem, but sucky is sucky

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By alternate

No thanks. It will be a bitter pill but I am sure Patrick can afford to replace it himself. If not, there are considerably cheaper and still capable smart phones on the market.

I have no doubt of your good intentions but would suggest you donate to a worthy cause like Extra Life instead. Or at least mention it to Patrick before starting a crowd fund. I suspect he would feel grateful but embarrassed by such an endeavor.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I thought it was weird and a little over the line when people donated money to Dan to help replace his stolen consoles (which he ultimately didn't need and donated to charity) and I would think the same here.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

I don't think Patrick would even take your money for something like this. Actually I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he definitely would not.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nice thought but the community was largely negative on the fundraiser for Dan's thousands of dollars worth of stolen stuff and Dan ended up donating everything raised to charity anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had an iPhone, will you start a fundraiser for me so I can buy one?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Yes.

Also I heard Patrick wants to go to Hawaii, lets raise funds to send Patrick to Hawaii!!!

It sucks that Patrick lost his phone, but it wasn't exactly stolen and he isn't exactly going to die without his top of the line smart phone.

I feel there are better things worth raising money for, like sick kids or something.

If you want you could raise some money for me so I can afford to buy a top of the line smart phone? Mine is kind of old and janky.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB

Yeah. I'd have to echo the same sentiment. Even Dan's predicament was more worthy of help. He got robbed of a princely sum of hardware.

I lived off a Lumia 520 for awhile before upgrading to a modest Moto G. I'm pretty sure human beings don't need the most pimping phones to do work that can be done on basic phones... not that I don't sympathize with Patrick at all, because I definitely do.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take your spare money Doctors Without Borders instead. The difference between ebola and the norovirus is that ebola will kill you and the norovirus will give you a hard time and once it's done it will be happy to infect more people for two weeks afterwards, ebola needs body contact with liquids to attack because it will be liquid coming out of an affected person including sweat while the norovirus needs serious cleaning compounds to clean every surface it has touched as that is the nature of the virus, and mainly transfers due to terrible hygiene in humans of all ages. We will be fine in the western world unless people go undiagnosed and B-movie level disasters of infections happen, but nothing is guaranteed and research is needed.

This is for the future of mankind even those you may never meet and those not yet born, this is something that can hit us all if disaster strikes and there is only early engagement and medication that can help, this is something that can spread and become a serious mofo because industrialized countries run dry even of flu shots. This is not an $800 phone belonging to a full-time (?) employed writer and journalist living in a comparatively inexpensive city in the US.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone wanna kickstart me a new phone too?

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By InternetDotCom

Rorie stole it to free him from Apple

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who insures their phone?

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ottoman673

You could donate to Child's Play instead of buying a grown, employed man a new phone.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You could donate to Child's Play instead of buying a grown, employed man.

Where can i buy a grown, employed man?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

If we got him a new phone then we wouldn't get a review of the games on his $5 burner phone. Think of the opportunity lost by getting him a new phone. Is it worth the price?

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@carryboy: Ah, damn. Edited.

they're available in Russia

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Think this one has run it's course already.