CDC Warns of "Nightmarish" new Superbug on the Rise.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Clonedzero

well thats not terrifying or anyhting.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Well... shit. This'll do wonders for my already out of control paranoia.

Also, someone should send that second article to Brad, so we can get an hour of him being terrified on the next Bombcast.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

well shit

tagging @Brad to this thread.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jerseyscum

MRSA is just so passe.....

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Never sleeping ever again

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By pr1mus

Allergies.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

Allergies.

That's just the Captain Trips.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

50% mortality rate is only for patients suffering from bacteremia due to CRE.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This is a real public health issue. Creating more resistant strains is a serious long-term problem. The new warning is panicking a lot of people, but for the wrong reasons. You're very, very unlikely to get a CRE infection anytime in the near future. It's important that hospitals work to prevent that problem from getting worse, but almost everyone reading about it this week will be unaffected by it."

I'll hold off on worrying too much about this.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zenmastah

This is why i never go to a hospital.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, it's only a matter of time. antibiotics' effectiveness is finite, and it's not like we've found a diversity of alternatives. MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR, or something.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Seriously though, if you have a reasonably strong immune system and wash your hands with suitable frequency, you are not likely to contract CRE in the first place.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi

Fox........Die.........

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mrsignerman44
@cmblasko said:

"This is a real public health issue. Creating more resistant strains is a serious long-term problem. The new warning is panicking a lot of people, but for the wrong reasons. You're very, very unlikely to get a CRE infection anytime in the near future. It's important that hospitals work to prevent that problem from getting worse, but almost everyone reading about it this week will be unaffected by it."

Yeah, the thread title makes it sound like a pandemic that's spreading like widlfire.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The whole thing is definitely being played up a little too much. Yes, there's a 50% mortality rate, but it's also probably worth pointing out there's only been something like six cases of people being infected. Three people dying is tragic, but you hardly have to worry about catching this yourself tomorrow.

(I think the numbers are slightly higher than that, but still).

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@cmblasko said:

Yeah, the thread title makes it sound like a pandemic that's spreading like widlfire.

Pageview journalism.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@mariachimacabre said:

@mrsignerman44 said:
@cmblasko said:

Pageview journalism.

Yeah, you're definitely right about that. But at least the author had a good point about antibiotics that he may have been able to get across to more people so I'll forgive it this time.

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tobiass
jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jerseyscum

OK. This might be the lame-ass mainstream media trying to panic people....but antibiotic resistant bugs are legitimately goddamn scary. Once the CDC starts putting out press releases and notices to nursing homes and hospitals, that's something that needs to be taken seriously. Imagine an outbreak of this stuff at a hospital in a major metropolitan area.

Bacteria and viruses are fantastic lifeforms. They adapt and survive possibly better than anything else.

Maybe I've read "The Hot Zone" way too many times.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mariachimacabre said:

@mrsignerman44 said:
@cmblasko said:

Pageview journalism.

Yeah, you're definitely right about that. But at least the author had a good point about antibiotics that he may have been able to get across to more people so I'll forgive it this time.

I'm also talking about this thread's title making it sound like this thing is already out there killing a bunch of people.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By intro

Interesting. For some reason I feel like it's like a lot of things on the news, over-exaggerated and something I'll never have to worry about. No disrespect to the OP, as I said it's an interesting topic lol. I just think that some people might be worrying more than they should.

EDIT: And if I'm wrong, then there's a good chance I'll be dead, so all you survivors won't have to point out how wrong I was and mock me.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By McGhee

@pr1mus said:

Allergies.

That's just the Captain Trips.

I hate to look like such a nerd, but Captain Trips was a super flu.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TruthTellah

meh. Sounds scary, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had its cousin MRSA and nearly died. Took a year of antibiotics and three years of surgeries to recover.

Wait...

I think that's actually a reason to take some of these concerns seriously...

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll just sit back and relax here on my island nation away from the icky stuff.

Also, it'll probably be okay in the short term, and if you do basic hygiene anyway you should be alright.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

aw man, i was hoping it was something that caused waking nightmares or something. that'd fit nicely with this weeks shenanigens.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

That's why we need more people creating new antibiotics and less use of antibiotics in general (people, cattle, livestock etc.) There will be a day in which a bacteria will be resistant to every antibiotics ever made and the development of new kinds of antibiotics to combat it will come far too late.

Basic hygiene is not always going to cut it, while MSRA only spreads through direct contact...it's a bacteria that can survive in very harsh conditions. Think about airborne resistant bacteria for example, that's why we have such a problem with XDR and MDR Tuberculosis in Europe. While this news may be a bit overexaggerated, I hope people at least think about how we are causing most resistant bacteria ourselves. Stop feeding our animals with antibiotics.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm heading to Madagascar. I'm sure they'll shut down the ports with this news.