CHAPPIE Trailer thoughts.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

As someone who thoroughly enjoyed District 9 and Elysium I look forward to this movie. I don't know how I feel about Die Antwoord being in it, but it's nice to see Sigourney Weaver in something. Also the film kind of feels like a modern day Johnny 5 movie, just with more things blowing up. What do you guys think?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

There was already a discussion about this (here), but ya. It could be fine- I like that directors style. I have only seen District 9, though. All I ever hear about Elysium is "meh".

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was already a discussion about this (here), but ya. It could be fine- I like that directors style. I have only seen District 9, though. All I ever hear about Elysium is "meh".

Oh dang. This movie is news to me, though. I did post a more recent trailer so I'm not entirely behind the times. Ha.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

Chappie still looks like Briareos.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

...aaaand I've seen the whole movie now... Cool.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed District 9, disappointed by Elysium but I'm looking forward to Chappie even though I don't think it will top District 9 from watching the trailer.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#7 nophilip  Online

I loved the hell out of District 9. It's probably in my top 10 sci-fi films of all time. Elysium, by contrast, was a disappointment in every single way. I really, really didn't like it. Chappie looks like it could be pretty good. I won't get my hopes up for it like I did with Elysium, though.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Looks interesting!

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Zefpunk

DIE MOTHER FUCKIN ANTWOORD. NUFF SAID. MUST SEE.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they do a music video for/based off the movie, that would be great.

It looks like a pretty fun movie, great cast, just hope it doesn't get lost in it's cliche riddled story like Elysium did. District 9 was sooooooo good though I'll give anything he does next a watch. Plus it is just seriously exciting to me that Die Antwoord is in it, I love their stuff, they are so much fun, this movie looks like the perfect fit for them. Couple of freaky outsiders helping another freaky outsider, fuck yes, love it.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Could be cool. Hopefully its better than Elysium as I thought that movie wasn't worth the price of admission or a rental. Elysium got too muddy with its cliche "class warfare" rhetoric. This doesn't seem to be going that wrote, but hopefully the storytelling is better. So far I am interested.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ex Machina looks to be the more interesting AI movie coming out by far, but this looks like a fun time all the same.

Loading Video...

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Automata might actually be a better realization of this concept, in terms of recent films. Obviously I can't judge Chappie til I see it...

Loading Video...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Humanity

I enjoyed District 9 a lot for the cool tech and special effects. The story wasn't anything special. I liked Elysium a lot, once again because it had really special effects and interesting tech - once more I didn't care that the story wasn't there. I'm sure Chappie will likewise feature cool tech and special effects with a middling story, and I'll probably enjoy it.

Honestly never understood the way people love District 9 but severely dislike Elysium, as both movies had equally absurd plots, except that Elysium actually had an ending.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Most disliked the story structure and its reliance on only its ham handed narrative. District 9 held up as a movie because there was more going on that just its class warfare plot. There were characters and subplots. Elysium had only its tropes, cliches, and bad French accents. The action scenes were also pretty lame. Much like trailers for comedy films having the only funny parts, the trailer for Elysium contained the only OK action...which wasn't much.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mikemcn

Seriously though, Die is super funky, they deserve more attention.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@sammo21: I thought the action scenes were really good and definitely on par with District 9, if not better as that movie packed all of it's action into the final stretch. While you might have enjoyed D9 better lets not kid ourselves on the complexity of the plot. District 9 had no subplots and there were barely any characters apart from the lead actor. The entire premise is as ridiculous as Elysiums magic sun tanning booths that are kept only for the wealthy. While one movie explores the themes of exaggerated human greed and stupidity in depriving humanity of these miraculous cures only to keep them for the rich, the other explores a similarly exaggerated view of human intolerance and stupidity in keeping the aliens caged like animals - both paper thin premises owing much to Neill Blomkamps upbringing in Johannesburg. You mean to tell me that aliens come to earth, with a giant spaceship, and for years on end instead of trying to establish a rapport and learn from one another in order to better understand this advanced technology which could prove to be a great boon to all of mankind we instead keep these aliens in oddly apartheid reminiscent shacks? Obviously there were intelligent aliens among the masses, engineers and such, as seen in the movie.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved District 9, but the plot is just as full of idiotic plot holes as is Elysium.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By csl316

Loved Elysium and District 9 grew on me. I'll watch whatever the hell he makes at this point.

I wish people didn't vehemently hate Elysium because it used a rich vs. poor template. The slow buildup to the action-focused back half was well done, and Kruger was such an enjoyable chaotic element to the whole thing. It also played to a lot of Blomkamp's strengths (specifically, cool visual design and sweet-ass action).

@humanity pointed out most of what I would've pointed out when comparing the two. Even the story structure was really similar. Guy going through his daily routine, a freak accident throws everything into disarray, assaulting a fortified government facility, a main character making a desperate last ditch effort, emotions, etc.

After D9, the internet made Neill Blomkamp into some sci-fi savior. But he really just makes enjoyable movies with a visual flair, which also feel somewhat grounded and personal to him.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the hell out of Neill Blomkamp's style, and this looks just as beautiful. I love all of the weird sci-fi tech in both District 9 and Elysium. That fight with Kruger on the walkway with all of the blossom flying about is visually one my favourite moments in a movie from the last few years.

That said, his movies are kinda silly, and this will no doubt be similarly silly.

Let him make Halo already.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I like the look of this, but then again, I was super excited for Elysium and that ended up being a pretty big letdown. I like Neill Blomkamp a lot though, and District 9 a fucking masterpiece, so I'm not going to write him or this movie off just yet. I'm just more cautiously optimistic about it. I just hope it's not really ham-fisted like Elysium was, and that its action scenes are better.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the hell out of Neill Blomkamp's style, and this looks just as beautiful. I love all of the weird sci-fi tech in both District 9 and Elysium. That fight with Kruger on the walkway with all of the blossom flying about is visually one my favourite moments in a movie from the last few years.

That said, his movies are kinda silly, and this will no doubt be similarly silly.

Right, I almost linked that fight here.

I'm seeing more posts about people thinking the action in Elysium was a letdown. That fight by the downed ship was tense as hell, the fights in Elysium were well done, and anytime Kruger attacked something he felt like a powerhouse. District 9 had some good ones, as well, but one movie didn't tower over the other in terms of spectacle or something.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#22 sweep  Moderator

This seems to have a lot of parallels to iRobot, with a bit of the new Robocop thrown in as well. That's pretty much an Ed209 ripoff. And the whole "can we make an AI that's a person?" thing has been done to death since before Blade Runner came out. It's a nice trailer, but it doesn't look to be doing anything particularly new or interesting with the idea.

Ex-Machina, however? Hot damn :D

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

@csl316 said:

@gunstarred said:

Right, I almost linked that fight here.

I'm seeing more posts about people thinking the action in Elysium was a letdown. That fight by the downed ship was tense as hell, the fights in Elysium were well done, and anytime Kruger attacked something he felt like a powerhouse. District 9 had some good ones, as well, but one movie didn't tower over the other in terms of spectacle or something.

There was far too much shaky cam and quick cuts going on in the action scenes in Elysium. None of them really flowed that well. I didn't really understand why, because the action in District 9 was much clearer and still managed to be intense. Maybe it was because the action in D9 was a little simpler, as much of it was gun fights and dudes gibbing all over the place, but Elysium's action didn't feel nearly as impactful or effective, outside of some great individual shots.

On a related note, it's not an action sequence, but the facial reconstruction scene in Elysium was really damn cool.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Crembaw

I'm tired of stories about AI going mad or people being afraid of AI. I'm much more interested in whatever happens after either of those things.

Automata looks interesting because it has the concept of self-realization of sentience, rather than having it gifted upon poor little roboman, uplifting him to equal the creator. The robots in that know they're real. They know how the world works. They realize they want to be heard. Ex Machina kind of had the inverse of that, the implication of being unable to know who we are, let alone who robots are. At least that's the feel the trailers kept giving me, in a really positive way.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Feathered

I liked District 9, never saw Elysium. I'm not really digging the trailer for this movie, though. It's giving me some Robocop 2014 vibes, and I thought that movie was bland as fuck.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks like a remake of Short Circuit...

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

I feel like Automata might actually be a better realization of this concept, in terms of recent films. Obviously I can't judge Chappie til I see it...

I saw Automata ages ago. Some of the aesthetic aspects of the first half of the movie are great but it's clear they blew their budget because the second half takes a huge nosedive and the acting is just awful.