Commuting in SF

Bratcher_Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I might have an opportunity to live in the Greater SF area (Palo Alto) for an extended but still temporary amount of time. I have never lived anywhere where commuting was anything other than driving a car. The duders have spoken about their commutes many times (Rorie commuting from Oakland, etc.). Does anybody remember any podcasts/videos where they've talked about what areas they are coming from/what they do during the ride? I'm just curious what they've said about the bart, muni, caltrain, etc.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By azrailx

i dont know any good podcasts with commute tips for the bay area.

I will say that your commute depends largley on where you will live which is mainly affected by where you can AFFORD to live. East bay is one of the better places to commute from (bart) and has somewhat cheaper prices.

Jeff is crazy and commutes from the Petluma area which during commute times can take 2+ hours. (and its actually not that cheap anymore, thanks fire and too many people!)

Good luck in finding info better than my random ramblings!

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Are you working in Palo Alto, or working in SF and just living in Palo Alto? If you're commuting from Palo Alto to SF, your options for public transit are more limited; I think just Caltrain, actually. MUNI only runs in SF proper; the light rail/subway part of it was generally okay, the busses less so. Dirty and crowded, but it'll get you around. I never used BART much except for getting to the airport, but it seems to have pretty good coverage in the East Bay. I have no idea what San Jose's public transit is like. I think they have some trams? No clue if it covers Palo Alto at all.

If you're living and working in South Bay/Palo Alto/San Jose, you'll probably want a car? SF is dense enough and MUNI has enough coverage that you can get by without one, but once you get south of the city it's a lot more drive-able. It's also been five years since I've lived there, so everything could have changed.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm in Emeryville and commute to SOMA which is only about a 10 minute BART ride, Rory being in Oakland most likely takes BART in as well.

Are you going to live in SF and commute to Palo Alto?

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would take Caltrain or Bart. Some Bart Stations have parking so you can try to park at your closest Bart Station with parking really early in the morning and take Bart into the city. Also, my brother and my sister's boyfriend commute from SF to San Mateo for work, they drive sometimes but they mostly take Caltrain.

I've worked in a couple places downtown and done delivery jobs in the city, driving into and around the city might drive you crazy.