Completed Basic Training, off to Afghanistan soon.

• 92 results
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

So quick blog. I've completed Army Cavalry Scout Basic Training. I'm on Family weekend were I'm allowed off Basic until Sunday evening, my God i'm eating tons of snacks and doing other things I wouldn't dream about in Basic. Lord, I'm sitting on a coach for the first time in 3 months!  

So game stuff...Well, haven't played anything since Battlefield 1943 came out and I'm spending the weekend with my girlfriend. I went to the Best buy and i was shocked at stuff you guys would consider old news. Slim PS3's, Elite 360s' at $300, Red and Blue Dual Shock 3s, and tons more!  Can you guys update me on more? 

So Basic Training, well, here i go... 

Vinny wrote me a letter, that was cool. 
I shot M203 Grenade Launchers, AT-4 Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher, and .50 cal. Honestly, you'd be surprised that larger weapons are easier to shoot (in my opinion) than smaller weapons like the M4. Like the .50 cal has nearly no recoil.  

-Urban Ops is fun. Room clearing, town invasions, and so on.  
 -Lack of snacks will do weird shit to you, but the Army does feed you well 
-Yes, Basic is hard as shit.   

But other than that, I suggest it to anyone who needs something to do, and isn't afraid of bullets. Our Sergeants have all been shot, and blown up by IEDs multiple times. They just tell us the only way to survive as Cavalry is to say "Fuck dying, I don't care" It's some real shit.  

I haven't watched the news for the past 10 weeks, but hopefully the media is being honest about this war...we're losing, badly. A lot of my battle buddies are dying and getting hurt out there. The General in charge of Afghanistan told Obama last week that we already lost, and anyone that can shoot needs to be on the battlefield yesterday. So i should deploy soon.  

But I'll survive, no problem. My fucking armor can stop an AK47 so I just gotta stay away from explosions. I mean, it's weird talking about it lightly but It's now my job to go out and kill the enemy. Also, I have to return to become a videogame journalist. That's half the reason i joined, I just need to get an English major first.  

Please feel free to ask about anything involving training, Scouts, military, or whatever and I'll answer it to the best of my ability. I know a lot of you were debating on joining. Just know what you're getting into if you wanted to be combat arms.  I graduate November 12th, two days after Modern Warfare 2. I'll update asap! Now back to Kotaku to update myself on what the hell been going on the last few weeks. 

If anything I'm more afraid of the extreme heat... 

Steven 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

So quick blog. I've completed Army Cavalry Scout Basic Training. I'm on Family weekend were I'm allowed off Basic until Sunday evening, my God i'm eating tons of snacks and doing other things I wouldn't dream about in Basic. Lord, I'm sitting on a coach for the first time in 3 months!  

So game stuff...Well, haven't played anything since Battlefield 1943 came out and I'm spending the weekend with my girlfriend. I went to the Best buy and i was shocked at stuff you guys would consider old news. Slim PS3's, Elite 360s' at $300, Red and Blue Dual Shock 3s, and tons more!  Can you guys update me on more? 

So Basic Training, well, here i go... 

Vinny wrote me a letter, that was cool. 
I shot M203 Grenade Launchers, AT-4 Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher, and .50 cal. Honestly, you'd be surprised that larger weapons are easier to shoot (in my opinion) than smaller weapons like the M4. Like the .50 cal has nearly no recoil.  

-Urban Ops is fun. Room clearing, town invasions, and so on.  
 -Lack of snacks will do weird shit to you, but the Army does feed you well 
-Yes, Basic is hard as shit.   

But other than that, I suggest it to anyone who needs something to do, and isn't afraid of bullets. Our Sergeants have all been shot, and blown up by IEDs multiple times. They just tell us the only way to survive as Cavalry is to say "Fuck dying, I don't care" It's some real shit.  

I haven't watched the news for the past 10 weeks, but hopefully the media is being honest about this war...we're losing, badly. A lot of my battle buddies are dying and getting hurt out there. The General in charge of Afghanistan told Obama last week that we already lost, and anyone that can shoot needs to be on the battlefield yesterday. So i should deploy soon.  

But I'll survive, no problem. My fucking armor can stop an AK47 so I just gotta stay away from explosions. I mean, it's weird talking about it lightly but It's now my job to go out and kill the enemy. Also, I have to return to become a videogame journalist. That's half the reason i joined, I just need to get an English major first.  

Please feel free to ask about anything involving training, Scouts, military, or whatever and I'll answer it to the best of my ability. I know a lot of you were debating on joining. Just know what you're getting into if you wanted to be combat arms.  I graduate November 12th, two days after Modern Warfare 2. I'll update asap! Now back to Kotaku to update myself on what the hell been going on the last few weeks. 

If anything I'm more afraid of the extreme heat... 

Steven 

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vaiz

Dude, I don't know you and I've never talked to you before, but what you're doing takes balls and I hope you stay alive. Godspeed.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ververdan0226

Best of luck man. What you are doing is really great and we couldn't appreciate it more. How long are you gonna be there?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EpicSteve
@ververdan0226 said:

" Best of luck man. What you are doing is really great and we couldn't appreciate it more. How long are you gonna be there? "

Probably between 12 and 15 months.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ververdan0226
@EpicSteve: Oh yeah, and since you've been gone so long. I'll send you this.

Ya know, just for funsies. Reading through a month's worth of his posts must be as worse as  Afghanistan? Well, probably not....

Oh and did you know he is 49 and he has a wife and he doesn't like pimples and he has a son and his son's in the Marines and his son's stationed in Japan?
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

Good Luck dude, blow something up
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By beargirl1
@punkxblaze said:
" Dude, I don't know you and I've never talked to you before, but what you're doing takes balls and I hope you stay alive. Godspeed. "
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

Even tho' I'm not a whore for war and I don't cum everytime I see it on TV and the fact that I could just say "who the fuck are you?" and not give a shit. 
Good luck and take care of yourself

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Pie

Good luck duder

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By CaptainObvious

Good luck dude. 

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scooper

Good luck, Steve.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By gingertastic_10

Best of luck man. You've defiantly earned my respect.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By sjschmidt93

Good luck, man. Your doing something that I would probably never do. 

Make all that Company of Heroes playing worth while!

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Good luck!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EpicSteve
@Kazona said:
" I have never understood why people would join the army. I just don't get why anyone would want to kill or get killed for their country. "
Well, someone's gotta do it. I'm not the most patriotic person in the world, so I'm no necessarily doing this for Uncle Sam, but more for my journalism career and to make a man out of myself. I don't have problems killing bad guys and if something happens I guess its just my time to go. But no need to talk doom and gloom. 
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By buzz_killington

Some important things that happened while you were gone:  

1-Jeff made a bet with Dave that Wolfenstein will have more players on GB than Madden. He lost, took a shot of gin, and died inside.  
2- Eidos sent a package to GB offices addressed for Giant Bomb employee Alex Navarro. 
3- Drew did his first review. 
4- Jeff and Vinny finished Persona 4.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By vaiz
@buzz_killington said:
"

Some important things that happened while you were gone:  

1-Jeff made a bet with Dave that Wolfenstein will have more players on GB than Madden. He lost, took a shot of gin, and died inside.  
2- Eidos sent a package to GB offices addressed for Giant Bomb employee Alex Navarro. 
3- Drew did his first review. 
4- Jeff and Vinny finished Persona 4.

"
Elaborating on 1 and 2: We now know that Ryan can down gin like diet sprite, and Dave looks totally natural in a strait jacket.
Avatar image for scrubbingbubbles
ScrubbingBubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ScrubbingBubbles

Props to you Steve. Takes a lot to do what you're doing.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Absurd
@EpicSteve said:
" @Kazona said:
" I have never understood why people would join the army. I just don't get why anyone would want to kill or get killed for their country. "
Well, someone's gotta do it. I'm not the most patriotic person in the world, so I'm no necessarily doing this for Uncle Sam, but more for my journalism career and to make a man out of myself. I don't have problems killing bad guys and if something happens I guess its just my time to go. But no need to talk doom and gloom.  "
Killing bad guys...I lol'd.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK

oculd someone tell me what were actually in afghanistan for?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeforgotten
@crunchUK said:
" oculd someone tell me what were actually in afghanistan for? "
the lols ?
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Kazona
@Mikemcn said:
" @Kazona said:
"I have never understood why people would join the army. I just don't get why anyone would want to kill or get killed for their country. "
Because they aren't cowards? They like defending their countries beliefs, whatever those beliefs may be? "
Last I checked, I wasn't a coward either, but the only people I'd take a bullet for are the ones close to me.

@EpicSteve said:
" @Kazona said:
Well, someone's gotta do it. I'm not the most patriotic person in the world, so I'm no necessarily doing this for Uncle Sam, but more for my journalism career and to make a man out of myself. I don't have problems killing bad guys and if something happens I guess its just my time to go. But no need to talk doom and gloom.  "
I do wish you the best of luck. If this is what you want to do, then, dude, go you. And hell, I guess the innocent people in Afghanistan need someone to protect them, so it's good that there are people willing to do so.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EpicSteve
@crunchUK said:
" oculd someone tell me what were actually in afghanistan for? "
fighting assholes. lol
Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#24  Edited By Valkyr

Shoot some dudes in the face, just remember you don't have rechargeable shields, good luck and have fun.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By JJOR64

Good luck man.  :)

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShaneDev

I like your wording there "town invasion", sounds like a true liberating coalition force term 

but anyway i hope you don't get killed or kill anyone  

Good luck

vexx919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vexx919

good luck man and no matter what religion you are 
god bless

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Claude

The fight in Afghanistan is not going well, or so I've read. Stay safe, keep you head up and your eyes open. From an old veteran of the Navy, I just want to say I'm proud of you.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eroticfishcake

Rawr! Maniless! Testosterone!

Good luck mate. Don't get yourself killed now!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karl_Boss

Good luck....and thank you for fighting for our country.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Psyx2
@punkxblaze said:
" Dude, I don't know you and I've never talked to you before, but what you're doing takes balls and I hope you stay alive. Godspeed. "
This. Good luck out there duder.
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lemon360

Thats pretty cool Steve, being in an army. I have some questions I'd like to ask: Have you tried out the M40A3 sniper? Do you fella's get to choose your weapons from a limited selection? What is the standard issue sidearm? Do you guys still use M16s? And finally, are standard footsolders equipped flashbangs/stun grenades? Just wondering. 

And don't forget to be careful! Good Luck!
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By breadfan

Best of luck, hope everything goes smoothly and you return safe

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34  Edited By damnboyadvance

Good luck man. Thanks for fighting for our country!
 Whether you are Christian or whatever, God Bless you.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Emilio

Yow, dude, you're like that Halo guy! Halo is a cool guy and so are you, man. 
Just stay safe and enjoy your weekend. :) 

Make sure to bring me one hundid gnazie scalps.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#36  Edited By the8bitNacho

Good luck man.  Kick some ass.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By crusader8463

If i wasn't born half blind in my right eye and wasn't the size of a fucking whale i would be in the local recruitment office right now. I don't think the Canadian army is desperate enough to take me at the moment though so i guess i will just be staying here for now. Hope you get back in one piece and with all your marbles.

TeaRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TeaRunner

Question: If you could take 3 perks from Call of Duty into Afghanistan and they would work in real life, which three would it be? 

Good luck from Norway!

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Oni

I want to wish you the very best and please do come back alive! Godspeed Steve!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArchScabby

Good luck I guess.  And don't get shot.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Steve! Good to hear from you man; glad you got through basic! 

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#42  Edited By borgmaster
@AjayRaz said:
" @punkxblaze said:
"
Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ken420

This is truly an "America... Fuck Yeah!" moment.  So Fuck Yeah! to you Steve.   Good to see you're not focusing on the doom & gloom of the situation there.  Here's hoping that yesterday's joint military request of additional troops is granted.  GB's rooting for you man.  Good luck.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I don't support the war, and would never fight for my country in such an occasion, 
I totally takes balls of steel to do what your doing, and I respect that, a lot

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JoelTGM

How long are you gone for?  Both my friends have been doing that army crap for a couple of years now, luckily they aren't aiming to actually go to Afghanistan, but one of my friend's nephew left last month or so as a sniper.  That stuff is dumb because even though you say you will survive, you gotta remember they all say that, and really you don't have that kind of control.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
@Mikemcn said:

" @Kazona said:

"I have never understood why people would join the army. I just don't get why anyone would want to kill or get killed for their country. "
Because they aren't cowards? They like defending their countries beliefs, whatever those beliefs may be? "
So if you don't go occupy another country, you are a coward? I know that I don't have to sign my life away to not be a coward. And how exactly are they defending my beliefs?  @EpicSteve said:

" @Kazona said:

No, someone needs to stay here and defend us. We don't need anyone to waste their lives or waste or money (not nearly as important as the other thing) across the globe. We need people like you home, guarding our borders.  

Also, there are better ways to advance your journalism career and there are lots of other ways to "make a man" out of yourself. For example, having a penis. Joining the military doesn't make you a man by any means. It forces you to be disciplined (something you can teach yourself), teaches you to be a hard worker (something you can teach yourself), and unfortunately, it teaches you how to follow order (something you can teach yourself if you really want to).  

Edit: Oh yea, come back in one piece.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Best of luck man. You're really living up to your username now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best of luck to you!  God bless.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By JJWeatherman

I just watched Jarhead and I can't see why anyone would want to go through the hell that is being in the military. To each his own though.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EpicSteve
@TeaRunner said:
" Question: If you could take 3 perks from Call of Duty into Afghanistan and they would work in real life, which three would it be?   Good luck from Norway! "
Juggernaut, that's really it. :)