Computer turning on for no reason?

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Hey guys,

So when my power supply is on (switch thingy) my computer boots totally randomly. When it is off, it does not. However, when the computer is in sleep move (as in I left it alone for a few hours), it does not turn on.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Cheers

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

open command prompt as admin and type:

powercfg -lastwake

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demons. Leave your house now

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skynet. Run

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your power supply is most likely going bad. I had about 3 months of that until it went.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

It might be a windows 10 update thing starting your PC possibly?

They did release an update just today.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah the boot is triggered simply by being provided power. Your power supply is likely acting up. Depending on how bad it is they can run really hot and burn out, so you definitely at least want to look into it/troubleshoot a bit.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Evilsbane

First thing I would check is the BIOS, check under "Power Management" and disable anything like Wake From Lan or similar.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's probably your USB mouse or keyboard. Disable turning on by USB devices/keyboard/mouse in BIOS.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ezekiel

I had a recurring problem like this. There's a feature in Windows called boot by network or something like that. Make sure it's turned off.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By butano
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

• Wake on LAN
  • Wake timer
  • Wake on kb / mouse
  • Faulty power supply
  • Program you recently installed

Those are some of the most common reasons for a computer booting up randomly. For the first three I'd check you're BIOS settings first and just disable whatever you don't need. If you do want to use those options then:

• Wake on LAN - make sure you select the option to only wake on magic packets (done in windows. Right click computer -> Properties. Select Device Management. Fold out the Network Adapters. Check each network adapter's energy settings
  • Wake timer - Fuck those. No reason to have these enabled unless you really want your PC to boot at a specific time.
  • Wake on kb / mouse - If you have a wireless kb and/or mouse then the signal alone can be enough to cause your PC to boot. I've had that happen several times. So if you want to have that option I'd advise turning off your kb/mouse if possible when not in use.

As for a possible power supply issue, only way to really test that is to buy a power supply tester. But even those aren't a 100% reliable. Try a different power supply and see what happens. Although I doubt that's the issue.

And yes it is entirely possible that a program you've installed has created a wake timer. Like @hmoney001 said you can use powercfg -lastwake to check. Although that doesn't always give the exact info you want but it's definitely worth a shot.

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Skynet?! Demons? I don't have time to fix my computer! I need to run :(

Thanks everyone tho.