• 53 results
Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Wraxend

Hey guys i was wondering what peoples thoughts are on conforming to society. Either you love it or you hate it... or just not aware of it what do you think?  

Is it right that we are forced to conform to what society dictates as correct forms of behaviour and actions while it stifles individualism. Or does it bring order to what would be chaos and allows the human culture to flourish striving to better ourselves and not revert back to our animal instinct.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DCFGS3

Both. Society is the oppression of the individual, on almost every level although obviously with varying degrees of oppression. However through this oppression, order, cohesiveness and general unity are achieved, hence giving us prosperity.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Bones8677

Sorry friend. This is the video game room. The philosophy class is down the hall to the right. >_>

^_^

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wraxend

Hmm i thought this was an Off Topic room :D
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust

Be like the boy
 Be like the boy
Haven't you ever seen Star Trek?  Sometimes, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one and other times, the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.  It's not an either/or situation because individuality left unchecked destroys a society's ability to function which inhibits the individual's ability to exist while group oppression disables free thought and that in turn can stifle a society's evolution.  All things in moderation and each deviation must be judged on a case by case basis. 
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Wraxend said:
" Hmm i thought this was an Off Topic room :D "
You're right. It is. Bones was mistaken; he's talking about General discussion. You're fine.
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By gunslingerNZ
Society is useful and probably a natural extension of human nature. Every now and then though I have the thought that it's sorta terrible that you can't just live "off the grid" if you want to. No matter what you do someone will always come after you to try and regulate/tax/normalise/exploit you so yeah there are definitely problems with the modern world.
HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HODGEY3000

more importantly, ARE U A SNOW NINJA?
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I am very indivualistic. Everyone are a bunch of parasites, they don't even realise they are wasting their life and nothing good will ever happen. They will get caught up in the downward flow of life and try to get as much as possible, which isn't all that abundant. Not all of us are normal boring ppl who doesn't think for ourselves.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust
@Wraxend said:

" Hey guys i was wondering what peoples thoughts are on conforming to society. Either you love it or you hate it... or just not aware of it what do you think?    Is it right that we are forced to conform to what society dictates as correct forms of behaviour and actions while it stifles individualism. Or does it bring order to what would be chaos and allows the human culture to flourish striving to better ourselves and not revert back to our animal instinct. "

I hate it. And i think you answer about what is right and wrong about the problem. The only change i would make is that, it doesn't "allow human culture to flourish striving to better ourselves", but to worsen ourselves, as from a point on in  education and in work, you will learn more of how to manipulate people and hate your direct competitor, than about what makes you overall better.  

@DCFGS3

said:

" Both. Society is the oppression of the individual, on almost every level although obviously with varying degrees of oppression. However through this oppression, order, cohesiveness and general unity are achieved, hence giving us prosperity. "

And peace. 

@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I am very indivualistic. Everyone are a bunch of parasites, they don't even realise they are wasting their life and nothing good will ever happen. They will get caught up in the downward flow of life and try to get as much as possible, which isn't all that abundant. Not all of us are normal boring ppl who doesn't think for ourselves.

"
True. I also think the objectives given to the citizens of society are illusions to confine us.  

Dating, marrying might be nice and dandy if you really love your other half, but don't most of the people only know in a shallow way their partner?  

Having a house, a bigger house, a car, a bigger car, a boat, a bigger boat, a plane, a bigger plane just a way to make us walk the long walk through our professional career into retirement?  And games a way to make more obedient and docile?

And what is it given when we get there, when we are old? Our grandsons (if we live that longer) will probably be more worried about their life and career, that about ourselves. And without a set goal for the first time in our lives we may feel confused, and lost, withering away. We might find something we like doing... still is that what life is all about?   

Questions i'm trying to find an answer for myself.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Jeust: I think that is what life is about. I want to share a revelation, in a chapter of the bible, it states everything is meaningless. Wisdom is meaningless because it leads to madness, so is money, worry and everything else. I suppose the only meaning to life is to procreate and keep the cycle happening over and over to continue every generation. Also as that chapter say, to find joy in your toil, or work. However for me, I think I see the world differently, i'm aware of this and I find it limiting. I'm not saying I have so much more, however I see the meaningless of it. Then again your right, set goals, I don't do that enough and I feel i've wasted alot of time.
AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AngelKore

It's all about balance, really. Conforming to what society dictates can be very detrimental for some depending on the situation. But you do want to have a certain amount of free speech and freedom attached to what you do and how you do it. But if you step too far down that line, society will drop a giant ass hammer on yo' ass. So it's just striking that balance between what they ask and what you want to do: too much of either is damaging.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#13  Edited By citizenkane

The high school emo convention is this way. -->

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kelbear
@Wraxend: 

Forget non-conformity and conformity, following either makes you a tool. Just do what you gotta do. 

Everyone's normality is only skin-deep. This says 2 things, they all share obvious superficial similarities, and have strong individual differences.  Also, when everybody is different, it doesn't make you special to be different either.

There is no moral mandate to follow one or the other since both ends of the spectrum are simply conceptual extremes that would be foolish to pursue in practice (Just like free-market capitalism and communism). You don't do one or the other, you just do what is right.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By one_2nd

I hate it, but I'm too lazy to type because I just pulled an all-nighter. I think you guys got this. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I get tired of people so enamored with their individualism that they have to annoy me when I'm at work.  Be as crazy as you want, at home.  When you approach me, dial that crazy down, or I'm going to cut you off.

Conformity isn't about the omnipresent THEM trying to destroy you, it's the simple fact you learn as an adult that no one really gives a shit about what you think.  As a teenager, your opinion is the most wonderful thing in the world.  You can have a big individualism parade, we can all be individuals, and sing for he's a jolly good individual, and it ain't going to make any difference.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox

OP, you're lucky you have the choice to 'rebel' against society. If you lived in the middle east, you would simply fucked. Much respect to the few and far between free thinkers over there.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

More counter culture bullshit. I'm guessing OP loves Rage Against The Machine and Fight Club.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Jadeskye

I'm such a non-conformist i'm not gonna conform with this thread.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By one_2nd

Both extremes are negative. Conformists are idiots and non-conformists are stubborn. Why not just conform when it's appropriate?

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ace829
@masterpaperlink said:
" meh "
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fallen189

It's called "Growing up"

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Bruce

The whole idea of "I WON'T CONFORM TO THE MAJORITY!" is Holden Caulfield, Catcher in the Rye, BULLSHIT. 

Everyone will make concessions in their life in one way or another.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By sopranosfan

I walk around with my balls hanging out.  The man ain't gonna stop me from walking around the way God intended.
RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RJMacReady

This thread as do most discussions on this topic present a false dilemma.  Individuals require a society to live and prosper while individuals within a society can often be exploited or destroyed by the very society they depend on. What's left out of this discussion is that societies, plural, exist; there is no monist structure to society. Conventions or laws will emerge at the societal level but not allowing individuals to defect or exit from societal structures they find exploitative and integrate into new or better ones(subjective) is a recipe for disaster.   The idea of applying the societal concept to massive nation states is that there is very limited potential for persistent and iterative interaction between the individuals within these societies except by economic means. Political interaction is fuzzier as elites tend to dominate in this realm of interaction and often at the expense of the non-elite.  Ultimately the individual must conform or he/she compromises the ability to obtain social capital. However when the marginal cost of living in a particular society exceeds the marginal benefit the individual must defect to a new system.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mutha3
@Ace829 said:
" @masterpaperlink said:
" meh "
"
@Fallen189 said:
" It's called "Growing up" "
/Thread
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King

Hate it. Just fucking hate it.

@one_2nd said:

"Why not just conform when it's appropriate? "
Decent point, but I feel I can make it better :P. Why not just analyze things logically, and do all that when it would be beneficial to do so?
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thatfrood

I think it's a made up idea.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FunExplosions

Embedding disabled, but here, you get the idea.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've got nothing against people being wanting to be a bit different from society's norms, but most of the time they just start conforming to a different section of society, and I hate it when people like that claim they're being "unique". Emo's and similar people are just conforming to emo norms. They're not being unique.

Either way, there is a time and a place for everything, and there are times when standing out and being different are appropriate, and there are times when you should just go with the flow and do what is expected. You'll never get anywhere in life without conforming to society at least part of the time.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Diamond

There's really a lot of potential concepts we could explore here.

Yea, counter-cultures are just that, a different society people conform to - and usually one virtually identical to mainstream society.  It's like the tea party or emo kids like MattyFTM says, they're not rebelling against or changing anything, they're just angsty and they don't know what to do about it.

I believe people take away too much from society and don't contribute enough.  There is too much selfishness in society as it is.  Living irresponsibly, wasting resources, pushing forward personal agendas...  The people who do this are just immature and a bane to society.

At the same time people should think for themselves, don't do everything you're told.  Too many people don't think for themselves and just blindly follow others (I'd say the vast majority of people do this).  I don't think there's any real solution to this particular problem, most people aren't smart enough to figure out anything for themselves anyways.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By jonnyboy

I'm so awesome society conforms to me.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By schizogony

I don't think about this subject deeply enough to know whether or not I conform.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#35  Edited By Symphony

Isn't a willing refusal to conform just conforming to another group -- counter-culture? So in that sense, how does one truly retain individuality and make a choice that doesn't involve conforming in one way or another? By being so completely different from either culture or counter-culture that you do something insane like going on a murderous rampage? But then you're choosing to be abnormal simply to be "different" and the actions of others are ultimately dictating what your choice is. So in that sense, it's not your own free choice...

Since there really is no way to avoid conformity at some point, what it all boils down to is choosing the bits and pieces of culture, counter-culture, or the absolutely bizarre, that suit your own personality.  

Ahh, to be a high-school student wondering about the deeper meaning of life again...

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Spence_5060

I probably do it subconsciously and I hate that. I am proud of myself when I do stray away from the crowd, but it happens so rarely I guess. But I guess that's why I'm so proud when I do stray away.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EVO

There's probably few, if any, individuals that are truly nonconformist.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bones8677
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Wraxend said:
" Hmm i thought this was an Off Topic room :D "
You're right. It is. Bones was mistaken; he's talking about General discussion. You're fine. "
I was joking. Geez...
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bones8677
@MattyFTM said:
" I've got nothing against people being wanting to be a bit different from society's norms, but most of the time they just start conforming to a different section of society, and I hate it when people like that claim they're being "unique". Emo's and similar people are just conforming to emo norms. They're not being unique." 
Exactly, one of my high school English teachers brought this up. "Goth's say they dress like that to be unique and non-conformist, then what do they do? They go and hang out with other people who dress the exact same way."

It's delicious irony. ^_^
Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

People who are anti-conformists are no better than conformists because they are still letting the actions of the many dictate their (their being for the non-conformists) actions.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jeust
@Symphony said:

"Since there really is no way to avoid conformity at some point, what it all boils down to is choosing the bits and pieces of culture, counter-culture, or the absolutely bizarre, that suit your own personality."

Yep! True.   

@Symphony
said:

"So in that sense, how does one truly retain individuality and make a choice that doesn't involve conforming in one way or another? By being so completely different from either culture or counter-culture that you do something insane like going on a murderous rampage? But then you're choosing to be abnormal simply to be "different" and the actions of others are ultimately dictating what your choice is. So in that sense, it's not your own free choice... "

I think one retains individuality and makes a choice that doesn't involve conforming, when one is true to oneself. Not acting in relation to culture or counter-culture, but in relation to our own wishes.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Brendan

There's a lot of good that society has done, from giving more people equal rights, to extending lifespans and making them healthier and easier.  Teenagers today are so enamored with counter culture and are so oblivious to the freedoms that they have that they don't realise the paradise they live in compared to some poor nations, where "individualism" often ends up with the strong terrorizing the weak.  I understand that alot of kids who are on video game type sites don't fit in as much with popular culture, and identify themselves as being very outside mainstream, superficial society, but there is alot of good with the bad, trust me.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Wraxend said:

" Is it right that we are forced to conform to what society dictates as correct forms of behaviour and actions while it stifles individualism. Or does it bring order to what would be chaos and allows the human culture to flourish striving to better ourselves and not revert back to our animal instinct. "

The latter. 

Society is like a country club. You don't have the right to be part of society, it's a privilege. Just like in a country club, there are sets of rules to follow and conventions that you're expected to abide by. If you mess it up you're either ostracized, exiled, or, in the worst case scenarios, you're sent to jail or executed. Again, if you fuck it up, there's a place we have for you: prison.

I'd just like to point out that nobody is forcing anybody to conform to anything. There are many other societies to choose from that may be much more libertarian in their bent. For example, if you want to commit crimes, you should be sent to Australia. (That's a Seinfeld joke, don't take it seriously.) Seriously though, if you want to go to a country club where it's acceptable to piss on the sidewalk, then go join that country club. Just don't expect to be able to stay in mine.
RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RJMacReady
@Brendan:  where "individualism" often ends up with the strong terrorizing the weak.

This is clearly wrong. Group behavior is often more more insideous then individual behavior. Even if your arguing from a marxian position this holds via marxian logic as Marx argued the bourgeoisie exploited the proletariat while aligning with each other via class interest. Marx was clearly wrong with regards to class interest though as the rich just aligned with the state and slit their wealthy brothers throats via regulatory capture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_polarization
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shirogane

I hate society, but not really cause of what's in this thread. It's just real messed up and has major problems. 
Also, people really don't question anything or think for themselves in a societal enviroment. It's annoying when they do that. 

But this has nothing to do with individualism, so eh.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bigandtasty

Rule #1 of being nonconformist: Don't worry about being a nonconfirmist.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RandomHero666

Ahh this reminds me of the South Park episode when Stan turns emo.
I don't follow society, religion, or laws.
I do what i think is right, even if other people disagree.

InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By InTheEnd

Aren't we all conformists? After all, human beings are a social species and as such people tend to follow certain groups for support. Even rebels are just people seeking a more comfortable conformity. 

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#49  Edited By Symphony
@Jeust said:
" @Symphony said:

"So in that sense, how does one truly retain individuality and make a choice that doesn't involve conforming in one way or another? By being so completely different from either culture or counter-culture that you do something insane like going on a murderous rampage? But then you're choosing to be abnormal simply to be "different" and the actions of others are ultimately dictating what your choice is. So in that sense, it's not your own free choice... "

I think one retains individuality and makes a choice that doesn't involve conforming, when one is true to oneself. Not acting in relation to culture or counter-culture, but in relation to our own wishes. "
But now that you've said that, if one were to do so, they'd be conforming to what you feel is the correct way of retaining individuality... So they're acting on the thoughts and beliefs of another rather than their own. How can they retain their individuality when they are not even thinking for themselves?!
labam89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By labam89

I lean toward the non-conformist side. I only conform to society when my actions limit someone else's freedom. Beyond that do my own thing, societal validation be damned.