Digital Distribution: Are We Really Ready For It?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77445273a8f
deactivated-5a77445273a8f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

You plop down on your couch, weary from a day of work, ready to play some games to unwind. You turn on your Xbox 360, waving your hands through the air to scroll through your video game collection. You settle on Fable 3, tapping forward in the air to start up the game. After a few hours, you get bored and decide to buy a new game. Pulling up the Games on Demand menu, you again scroll through, settling on Mass Effect 3. After thinking it through, you make the leap, buy the game, and let it download as you go about thinking what's for dinner.

While the above scenario is a little too soon, the idea of digital distribution is not.  It seems to be the hot topic on every gamers lips; Are we ready to give up our library of boxed games for hard drives filled with our virtual libraries? I try to think of both sides of the question, and sometimes the answers I settle on scare me.

Up until about two years ago, I didn't really collect games. I would buy the games I really wanted, or rent the ones that only interested me. Occasionally I would trade games in when I was low on cash to get that next new release I wanted. The thought of collecting never really occured to me until I settled into my current job where I have some disposable income. I then started researching collecting and the community that surrounded it, seeing the gamer closets and rooms, like little museums that were definitely built on love and memories. So I decided to start hunting at flea markets and Goodwills, snatching up any deal and gem I came across. In the two years since I've started, I build a small modest collection that I am proud of.

With digital distribution, this hobby then becomes obsolete. We will trade our Pipboy 3000 alarm clocks, Master Chief Helmets, and Alex Mercer action figures in for intangible data on a hard drive. That feeling of having a physical copy in your hand, something that you can claim is yours will be gone. You'll swap that disc out for a license to play the game, and your physical book case will become your virutal one. 

No Caption Provided

Some gamers need retail stores to access their games. Broadband proliferation is at 26 percent in the United States, and we hold the 20th spot in the world. As more and more game companies take their games to online services, a majority of gamers would be left what can be considered the stone age in the digital world.

But then look to the good in digital distribution and can't await its arrival. The creation of services such as Gametap, GOG, Microsofts Games on Demand, and the forthcoming OnLive, have opened the door to a treasure trove of both classic and modern games to people who otherwise wouldn't of had any way of playing these games. I never would've dreamed of playing Freespace 2, Baulder Gate, or Planescape if it hadn't been for these services, as many of these games are out of print. If OnLive delivers on it's promises, I would be able to play Crysis or any other high end PC game on my laptop, and not have to worry about buying expensive video cards or extra RAM to run the game.

The games would also, hopefully, be cheaper. Since game publishers wont have to spend an extra dollar to print boxes and stamp discs, they can pass that discount on to us. Once rare games are finding new lives on digital stores.  Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 goes for an upwards of eighty dollars on auction sites and the black label version of Final Fantasy VII is becoming harder to find. Yet thanks to the Playstation Network, both games are not inexpensive and ready to be experienced by those people who just can't afford the physical copy. With Microsofts Xbox Originals program, gamers can experience Psychonauts and Crimson Skies for on the cheap. I get excited that people can experience these games without fear that brick and mortar retail stores will push lesser known games off the shelf in favor of the next Madden or Call of Duty.

Digital distribution is a two headed beast. I like having a tangible collection of games and game paraphernalia, and don't want to give that up. Yet at the same time, the future of gaming can have the doors blown off by allowing all gamers access to games at affordable prices and right to our TVs with the touch of a button. 

Just ask yourself if you're ready.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77445273a8f
deactivated-5a77445273a8f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You plop down on your couch, weary from a day of work, ready to play some games to unwind. You turn on your Xbox 360, waving your hands through the air to scroll through your video game collection. You settle on Fable 3, tapping forward in the air to start up the game. After a few hours, you get bored and decide to buy a new game. Pulling up the Games on Demand menu, you again scroll through, settling on Mass Effect 3. After thinking it through, you make the leap, buy the game, and let it download as you go about thinking what's for dinner.

While the above scenario is a little too soon, the idea of digital distribution is not.  It seems to be the hot topic on every gamers lips; Are we ready to give up our library of boxed games for hard drives filled with our virtual libraries? I try to think of both sides of the question, and sometimes the answers I settle on scare me.

Up until about two years ago, I didn't really collect games. I would buy the games I really wanted, or rent the ones that only interested me. Occasionally I would trade games in when I was low on cash to get that next new release I wanted. The thought of collecting never really occured to me until I settled into my current job where I have some disposable income. I then started researching collecting and the community that surrounded it, seeing the gamer closets and rooms, like little museums that were definitely built on love and memories. So I decided to start hunting at flea markets and Goodwills, snatching up any deal and gem I came across. In the two years since I've started, I build a small modest collection that I am proud of.

With digital distribution, this hobby then becomes obsolete. We will trade our Pipboy 3000 alarm clocks, Master Chief Helmets, and Alex Mercer action figures in for intangible data on a hard drive. That feeling of having a physical copy in your hand, something that you can claim is yours will be gone. You'll swap that disc out for a license to play the game, and your physical book case will become your virutal one. 

No Caption Provided

Some gamers need retail stores to access their games. Broadband proliferation is at 26 percent in the United States, and we hold the 20th spot in the world. As more and more game companies take their games to online services, a majority of gamers would be left what can be considered the stone age in the digital world.

But then look to the good in digital distribution and can't await its arrival. The creation of services such as Gametap, GOG, Microsofts Games on Demand, and the forthcoming OnLive, have opened the door to a treasure trove of both classic and modern games to people who otherwise wouldn't of had any way of playing these games. I never would've dreamed of playing Freespace 2, Baulder Gate, or Planescape if it hadn't been for these services, as many of these games are out of print. If OnLive delivers on it's promises, I would be able to play Crysis or any other high end PC game on my laptop, and not have to worry about buying expensive video cards or extra RAM to run the game.

The games would also, hopefully, be cheaper. Since game publishers wont have to spend an extra dollar to print boxes and stamp discs, they can pass that discount on to us. Once rare games are finding new lives on digital stores.  Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 goes for an upwards of eighty dollars on auction sites and the black label version of Final Fantasy VII is becoming harder to find. Yet thanks to the Playstation Network, both games are not inexpensive and ready to be experienced by those people who just can't afford the physical copy. With Microsofts Xbox Originals program, gamers can experience Psychonauts and Crimson Skies for on the cheap. I get excited that people can experience these games without fear that brick and mortar retail stores will push lesser known games off the shelf in favor of the next Madden or Call of Duty.

Digital distribution is a two headed beast. I like having a tangible collection of games and game paraphernalia, and don't want to give that up. Yet at the same time, the future of gaming can have the doors blown off by allowing all gamers access to games at affordable prices and right to our TVs with the touch of a button. 

Just ask yourself if you're ready.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

one word:

steam

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By pirate_republic
@KaosAngel said:
" one word:  steam "
Yeah but it took years before people accepted steam as a platform... it'll take just as long if not longer for the console market. Many people don't give out their credit cards, and it's a hassle to keep buying points cards to buy games. Those people especially will need some convincing.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Hamst3r

I'm ready and I've already given in.

I don't want the physical media or the crap that comes with it, I just want the game.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By bwooduhs

Well considering my internet gets capped at 10 gig no i dont think im ready.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

One thing obstructing digital distribution, on consoles anyway, is space. Downloaded games take up a whole lot of space, so until console companies lower the costs and raise the amount of GB we can store, we'll be able to embrace digital distribution with open arms. Another is price. Looking at the high prices for the XBL games-on-demand, Microsoft is going to have to realize that those aren't reasonable, and it's only stopping them from creating a long-lasting, consumer-trustworthy service.

On the PC, there's really no reason to buy a physical copy of the game over a digital copy. I'll use Steam as an example. It's more efficient, usually cheaper, and there are plenty of specials that brick and mortar retailers such at Gamestop would never be able (or willing) to offer. 

The fixation with physical media is just that: a fixation, and nothing more. I feel just as good playing a game I bought from Steam or XBLA than if I purchased it at Best Buy or EB Games. The experience is still the same. Plus, there are plenty of ways to chronicle your collections digitally. You may not be able to "touch" your games, but who cares? They're games, not antiques.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Jost1

Answer: yes

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust
No Caption Provided
“Personally, I’m one of those guys who, even if I have all the songs from iTunes, I want the CD as well. I feel more reassured with that physical media.”

He's not ready for it and he makes the stuff...I'm not too worried about it.
OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I'm definitely ready. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is not being able to get good deals all the time on the games. And when there are digital sales, games will probably take a while to get a permanent price drop.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By dogbox

I am certainly ready for digital distribution. It's true that fewer people have broadband than we'd think, but on the other hand, think about what you need just to get the "full experience" in a game today. A 300-400 dollar system, a 500-2000 dollar HDTV, 60-80 bucks for a game. The people who are willing to pay all that money to play some games are probably the same people who have a fast enough internet speed to buy digital. The tangible product argument is another good argument, and a year ago I would have probably agreed with it! But now I am 100% ready for digital distribution to take over.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Suicrat

I've been noticing more and more lately that the arguments against digital distribution are seeming more and more irrational with each passing thread. For instance, the notion that a tangible disc is more than a license to play the game, and the inclusion of superfluous memorabilia, like action figures, miniature helmets, or other useless trinkets.

Well, if this is the only thing justifying the gross mis-allocation of resources that we playfully refer to as the "video game retail business", then good riddance.

deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Suicrat: If you want to check out a decent argument against full-on digital distribution, read this.

Though I'm still pro-digital distribution myself. The pros outweigh the cons.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Suicrat
@JacobForrest: Well, that was about as enlightening as any alarmist piece of emotional tripe I've read on the subject so far. The core of the author's argument is: is fear the end of disc-based games.

His reasons are: You can't trade in a download
Choice can only ever exist in the retail, tangible format.

Let's start with the premise. He makes the leap in logic that the death knell of Gamestop/EB would signal the end of a retail environment in which to sell consoles. Obviously this man has never heard of Best Buy. He likens the 'monopoly' (a gross misuse of the word in his case, which he tries to acknowledge by qualifying it with the phrase 'de facto') a console maker would have on game sales as that of Wal-Mart, and we are supposed to infer that to be a bad thing for the consumer. Meanwhile retail goods are far more affordable at Wal-Mart than at retailers based on less efficient business models with a looser supply chain. EB and Gamestop are middlemen for customers as well as suppliers. They siphon wealth from consumers and producers without much value added (especially when you consider their infamous level of inefficiency on launch day). And the alleged value of trading in a game to subsidize the cost of the purchase. Well, ultimately if you bought the game you're trading in from the retailer, you're simply paying an exorbitant rental fee, look at it this way:

-$60 on game X
-$50 on game Y

Finished game X
Finished game Y

Game Z retails for $60
$25 of that cost absorbed by game X
$20 absorbed by game Y
$15 left over to be paid in cash/credit/debit

So in the end the consumer pays upwards of $35 dollars to essentially rent a game, and then still has to pay any money left over for the game he's trading in games for! This is not a benefit to the consumer in any stretch of the imagination. Compared with digital distribution where the game is on the player's hard drive (or stored in his account information) forever, so he can always come back to it.

Onto his other example. It is negated by the facts of the video game industry. There are (at least) 3 console makers, and many open platforms from which to digitally distribute games. So producers have a choice as to where they want to market their game, and the consumer has a choice as to what market to which they wish to subscribe. If Microsoft started charging more than Sony for a game that is on both companies' systems, they would lose market share. They have a 'monopoly' (again, a gross misuse of the term) on their own network, but they don't have a monopoly on the networks themselves, and they must compete to offer a quality download service as well as an affordable product.

Whenever change and/or innovation comes to the way goods are brought to market, doomsday scenarios inevitably arise around the concept of affordability. What will customers do if the evil company sells products at a price outside their range? The answer in reality is equally inevitable: costs will not rise out of the range of affordability because without high volume, video game production becomes an unprofitable endeavour. Video games need to be affordable, for the sake of both the publisher and the console maker, not just the consumer.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By artofwar420

It's already happening, wake up and smell the ashes.

deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Suicrat: I tend to agree with you, though I think your interpretation of his reasons is a bit sweeping. I don't recall him mentioning a digital distributors claiming a total monopoly, but he did say there would be less price competition. And I don't see how you can refute that in regards to consoles: at least right now, Xbox Live is the only place to download digital media onto your Xbox. Therefore, MS can easily influence publishers to match their prices to retail prices, so the affordability factor is out the window. 

However, I do agree with you on his used games argument. That made little sense. There's no 'thriving' used games market that I can see, and if anyone buys a game with the intent of trading it in afterward, they'll just rent it. Otherwise, it's just plain dumb to buy it in the first place.

Maybe not for you, but the article gave me something to chew on, if anything.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By animateria

Steam.

Steam.

Steam.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Suicrat
@JacobForrest: It's the only place you can download games that are only available for XBox Live Arcade. i.e., those games which Microsoft had a hand in publishing. However, anything that comes out for more than XBox 360 is subject to competition.

And as I said, he used the words 'de facto monopoly'. Whatever he was trying to imply, that is what he stated.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By JoelTGM

Yes.  Why go to the store and hope they have the game when you can just download it in literally 15 minutes from steam.  I don't want any game boxes, serial keys, and installation discs laying around, and I hate it when they make you put the disc in whenever you want to play it.  I don't get why people need to have a cardboard box and disc on their shelf just to be satisfied.  Wherever I go I can log into my steam account and have access to all my games, as well as all the games available through the store page.

raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By raggedglory

Honestly, as much as I love steam, and the ability to purchase games I otherwise cant find, If given the option, I will always buy a physical copy, because I like being able to look at what I have, and if worse comes to worse and If something happens and I have no internet, I can just pop in my old disk and install from there.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By flaminghobo
@mattamusprime: The idea of digital distribution makes sense to me, though I don't feel that it's really for me. I like going to my local game store and purchasing a physical copy in my hand or ordering the copy online and awaiting for it to arrive in the post. There's a sense of excitement and accomplishment to it and I really don't think I'll get that same feeling if I use digital distribution.

However when the subject of old games that are hard to find due to the fact they are now out of print, digital distribution seems like a great idea. I would much rather buy a digital copy of an old game than spend a couple of hours weighing my options on which bidder I should buy from on eBay at a ludicrous price.

Also this could be a way to stop pirating if the security is done right, which is good for game developers. Although digital distribution is not mean for me, it could be all that future generations know. They might even find it silly that we had physical copies of games.

Only time will tell.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pazy

People are ready for that concept, though with all new technologies there will be those who dont want it, but its peoples access to the internet (some places especially countries or smaller countries have no access to it), download speed (I generally download at 100kb/s so download a game so a 2gb game takes at least 8 hours or more (depending on other factors like whos on my network and the server im getting it from) and bandwith cap (if you have all the money in the world but a 80gb cap then you can download a limited number of games (not including wanting demos, videos or even generally browsing) so most people naturally meter themselves so cant just download all the games they want (its common for games to be 5gb or more on PC not including updates which are usually at least a couple hundred mb's).

But the want and (server side) infrastructure is there and is already becoming the norm for PC games (Not just Steam and Direct2Drive but I would include MMO's in this). We seem to be personally ready for it, publishers are ready for it but the thing holding it all back is ISP's.

Though a side note, I want my boxes's so I can return to it years later or let friends try the game. While steam would allow me to redownload (or XBL/PSN etc.) I am at the mercy of the publisher/platform provider who could easily say "You have had your fill of downloads" or they decided to no longer host it but they cannot do that with cd's.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Osaladin

What's there to be ready for? I don't get why people are so apprehensive about digital distribution.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By damnboyadvance

While Digital Distribution is convenient, there is a sense of security in having a physical copy of a game. Not to mention, there is a sense of pride of having a physical collection of games, which I won't give up when I get one. Ever.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pause422

Seems you're a few years late for this topic.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

kind of, i have a slow internet broad band. i download games from steam. i don't want to see consoles becoming like that. steam u can backup the games onto a disc. so, lets say ur going to ur grandma's house who doesn't have internet u can put the game in the computer and play it. with consoles it will most likely require u to be online.  

i really don't want to see console gaming to become like that. i really like having a physical copy then memory one that is on the hard drive.