Do people actually read Patrick's stories?

• 190 results
rick_deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rick_deckard

EDIT: PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL POST BEFORE COMMENTING. THANK YOU!

Though the title might sound negative towards Patrick, it's everything but. I really enjoy the stuff Patrick writes. Personally, I think he's probably one of the few true writers of our little industry. He could probably work for the New York Times, but I'm glad he sticks around here at Giant Bomb.

But seriously guys. Do you just read the headline he writes, then post a comment? This is far from all of you, but a lot of users just seem to have no idea what they are actually commenting on. That's not the way to show you appriciate his work.

The story that really pushed me over the edge in regards to making this thread, was the story about the Kickstarter-project (Alpha Colony) that fell 28 bucks short. In the story, it is clearly stated why it didn't help that the they donated money to their own project. Like, it's super freaking clear. I think the Kickstarter policy mentioned there is pretty shocking, and I expected a good discussion on the matter.

Instead, I scroll down, and three of the five first comments literally say the same thing. "Why didn't they donate the money themselves?" And after that, there's just a boatload of that kind of comments on every page.

Seriously guys. Patrick writes this stuff for us. If you're not gonna read it, fine. But don't go posting on the forums if you don't, because that just a huge freaking insult to Patrick, and to the rest of us that want a good conversation on the topic. And commenting like that on a article that has so cleraly stated the answer to your question, just makes you look like the biggest jerk in history. This really pissed me off, and I never get pissed off.

Do better.

[MOD EDIT: Users who insult members of staff will be subject to moderation. Remember our golden rule, folks: Don't be a jerk.]

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By oraknabo

I read most of them and don't comment on the ones I don't read.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Unfortunately, I don't think this post is going to reach the people it was intended for. Personally, I do read Patrick's articles and I find the lot of them insightful. I do very much often try to avoid getting involved with the comments, however; they inevitably end up a mess. The people responsible for that either won't read this thread, will dismiss it immediately, or just get all defensive, potentially starting an even bigger mess.

It's really unfortunate and disconcerting that there are people out there who can't read an article and have the gall to make baseless comments about it or the matter the article covers. It happens all the time though -- even outside of this site -- and I don't really think there is nothing that can be done about that, sadly.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlatantNinja23

Of course I do. I'll never understand the Patrick hate.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mrpandaman

Yeah I read the articles that Patrick writes, the ones I find the most interesting are ones like the Alpha Colony Kickstarter and the more in-depth ones he put out. It is kind of frustrating, sometimes, to read comments that clearly shows that the user did not read the story.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones

I read most of his stories, worth reading is hit or miss for me. But all his interviews he does like with the walking dead are quite good. Waitin for the 5th one to go up

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By ManlyBeast

I'm not a fan Patrick but I do read them. I don't think I've ever commented on any of them tho.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jdh5153

There's writing on Giant Bomb ? O.o....news to me, I just watch the quick looks and listen to the podcast.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By nightriff

I prefer Alex's stories and write ups more.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By viking_funeral

@rick_deckard said:

But seriously guys. Do you just read the headline he writes, then post a comment?

Welcome to the inter... no, I can't do it. The phrase is too cliché to use.

I notice this in the comment sections everywhere on the internet, from niche blogs to YouTube. I think it has to do with people being lazy, and/or wanted to submit a comment while the thought is fresh in their minds. I've been guilty of the latter a few times. Either way, this phenomenon has been around a while.

rick_deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rick_deckard

@EquitasInvictus: You might be right. It's just so damn irritating. It always punches a hole in the discussion. If this just makes one person less comment randomly like that, then I've done my job.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Depends on if the story itself sounds interesting. I usually don't even click on them otherwise.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Didnt understand the Patrick hate, now that the fad is back for some reason, I understand it even less.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I don't read the worth reading stuff because it's not always worth reading and there's too many things he lists. That might be a stupid way of looking at it but yeah that's it.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Xeiphyer

That's actually exactly what I thought when I read that article. Did anyone in the comments section actually read it? People are kinda crazy.

rick_deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rick_deckard

@BestUsernameEver: This has nothing to do with Patrick hate. Seriously, did you even read the OP? Doesn't seem like it, because it's all about what you just did.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

Of course.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do but I havent been able to read the Walking Dead ones....  I dont want it to spoil the game

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By C0V3RT

I read most of them, yes. And that Kickstarter example you mentioned where 2 of the first 5 comments were something along the lines of "Why didn't the dev just pitch in the money?" and had the same reaction you did.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20  Edited By JasonR86

I barely read anything unless it is for work. I have the attention span of a child. That said, saying 'do better' is a fucking shitty thing to say.

Make better threads.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By YOU_DIED

I used to, but I don't anymore. The 'writing like talking' fad that he has followed has caused the quality of his writing to plummet. Also, quoting himself like he did in the #1reasonwhy article was really unprofessional as well as arrogant.

I think the best writer on this site is probably Alex, his reviews are a joy to read, especially the ones about bad games. Ryan would probably be a close second, followed by Jeff and Brad (not necessarily in that order).

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rpgee

This will definitely not reach the people it seems aimed at, since there seems to be a fairly steady divide between the forums community and the everyone-else community, particularly those who comment on stuff. As far as I've seen or heard, a lot of the, let's say, baser members of this site spend time there, essentially acting as dicks to people.

And thus, I don't read the comments section, but I do read Patrick's articles. They're probably one of the most welcome editions to the site, it needed a better print section. Good to see him and Alex holding down the fort on that angle.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By DarthOrange

I rarely read any stories on this site, mostly because fuck jaded motherfuckers. That said, I said the same thing about Patrick a month ago in this thread. Instead of saying New York Times I suggested LA Times, Esquire or Playboy. But yes, I agree that Patrick is wasting his talents here. He must be getting payed some damn good money by CBS to settle for such a dump. :)

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dungbootle

It's frustrating, but every website on the planet has people like that. Folks that just completely miss the point.

Take 90% of the replies in this thread. They have nothing to do with your main point of discussion.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IBurningStar

I use to read them, but lost interest somehow.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

To be fair, just like how not everyone has to have an opinion about everything, one doesn't need to respond to every single opinion presented. If you feel a post is nonsense and insubstantial to a discussion, simply ignore it and respond to the ones you find worthwhile.

Feeding the trolls only makes the problem worse.

Oh, and also, I do read Patrick's articles when I see them.

rick_deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rick_deckard

@dungbootle: I know! Do some people not understand the irony of their comments? Some guys are basically commenting without reading my OP, in a thread where I am asking people not to comment on something they haven'r read. #sad

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28  Edited By JasonR86

@Zomgfruitbunnies said:

To be fair, just like how not everyone has to have an opinion about everything, one doesn't need to respond to every single opinion presented. If you feel a post is nonsense and insubstantial to a discussion, simply ignore it and respond to the ones you find worthwhile.

Feeding the trolls only makes the problem worse.

THIS. Jesus Christ. The same shit went down in the sexism thread. Ignore the people you don't like and the fuckers will go away. Shine a fucking light on them and watch them come. This entire thread is flawed because it will only invite those that the OP apparently doesn't like.

@rick_deckard said:

@dungbootle: I know! Do some people not understand the irony of their comments? Some guys are basically commenting without reading my OP, in a thread where I am asking people not to comment on something they haven'r read. #sad

You have to specify dude. Who is missing the point? "Them" could refer to anyone about anything. And if I see another fucking hashtag...

rick_deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rick_deckard

@Zomgfruitbunnies: It's just that when a large enough portion of the userbase comment on something they haven't read, it has a tendency to completly derail any hopes of a good discussion.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By DarthOrange
@rick_deckard said:

But to be fair your post had a lot of words and not a single picture. It might have helped a little.
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Subjugation

@rick_deckard: I find it ironic that you have people doing the very thing you lament in your post right here in the thread. Delicious, and somewhat sad irony.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By FesteringNeon

anyone willing to entertain my ass, is well worth at least a nod. For the HATEREZZ, fuck off and go read a book or something. *cheers

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TruthTellah

@rick_deckard: I definitely read most of his stories, and then I glance at the comments to gauge whether everyone or only a few people are complaining about it. Depending on how things seem to be going, I will comment and try to engage on an interesting topic.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By oraknabo

@rick_deckard said:

Some might just be trolling

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

I just look at the pictures.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@rick_deckard: Internet discussions are kinda like serving on a jury. People who have had jury duty probably know what I mean.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sinusoidal

The first ten or twenty comments on just about anything here are particularly inane. I blame the stupid first post quest.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@rick_deckard said:

@BestUsernameEver: This has nothing to do with Patrick hate. Seriously, did you even read the OP? Doesn't seem like it, because it's all about what you just did.

That response means you didn't get it.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@Sinusoidal: That quest should be changed to getting the second post. That'll teach 'em.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Wemibelle

Sadly, this is the way the Internet works. Everyone skims things as quickly as they can so they can be the first one to comment on it, even if that comment isn't justified or doesn't make sense.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I read each Walking Dead article after I finished each one, was a great read to hear where the writers were coming from, similar to a commentary track over a movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My personal favorite is the write-up he did about his dad and horror games. Struck me very strongly. I love his writing and style, although he does make a lot of speling errors.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Nightriff said:

I prefer Alex's stories and write ups more.

Boom.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Sooty

I don't like his writing style or the way he words a lot of things.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Christoffer

Yes. Some people just want to make themselves heard with the least amount of effort. It's a problem in most areas of society and trying to not get annoyed by it will spare you a lot of mental health.

When talking to people, how many times have I thought "I just fucking said exactly that. Did you not listen or do you just like the sound of your own voice?"... too many times.

And I agree that Patrick writes some really good stuff well worth the effort to read thoroughly. It's interesting to hear about, and from, the people behind the industry. I'm starting to care more about that than the cold hard facts about the numbers, release dates, games trailer analysis, corporate mergers and DLC announcements.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my mind, Patrick is one of the few journalists working the games journalism circuit. That's probably categorically untrue in reality, but you don't often see feature columns on gaming websites. You see reviews and regurgitated press releases. Penny Arcade and Rock, Paper, Shotgun fit more in line with what's now becoming a traditionalist gaming editorial blog, and those sorts of sites with opinionated slants fit into the opposite end of the spectrum from the IGNs and the Gamespots of the world.

Patrick's work is a nice, restrained middle-ground between those two polarities. Sure, he takes up his causes too, but a great deal of his work is preoccupied more with introspecting on the industry, providing a critical--critical in the observational sense, not critical in the destructive or detracting way--look at a culture I'd otherwise know very, very little about.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TruthTellah

@Vinny_Says said:

@rick_deckard said:

He could probably work for the New York Times,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....OH you're serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HA

I don't think that's necessarily too absurd, as Patrick used to work with Stephen Totilo, and he provides videogame-related articles to the New York Times. So, if Patrick pursued it, I imagine he would actually have a decent shot at getting an article or two in the Times.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm not a huge fan of Patrick's writing style, but he does put some effort into writing thoughful stories, so I'm inclined to read most of them unless the subject matter is something I have zero interest in.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sploder

Yeah I like em' and never comment on articles.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By Hunter5024

I didn't read your post but I am outraged at your implications!