Do You Believe Hypnosis is Real or Fake?

• 80 results
mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By mandude

If you're writing off hypnosis because of magicians and Youtube videos, then you should also write off politicians as mere myth, too, because of the current state of the world

Or maybe you just need to change your definition of what hypnosis is, because it is certainly not "When someone can make another person do whatever the fuck they want".

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@Video_Game_King said:

@Gamer_152 said:

Of course hypnosis doesn't just let you jack people's minds on the spot and let you do anything to anyone, or anything near that, and there has been considerable debate about the exact nature of hypnosis, but you don't have to look into the subject much at all to confirm that it's real.

At this point, I have to ask what exactly hypnosis is if its nature is as heavily disputed as it is. What about hypnosis is real?

There are a lot of rather vague modern definitions of hypnosis, but basically it is entirely possible to use certain techniques to put people into a highly relaxed state where they're more open to being given instruction and believing what is told to them. The big debate around hypnosis has really been over whether this state is a kind of hypnotic trance, rather different from normal conciousness, or whether the effects of hypnosis are just due to psychological suggestion and similar effects.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ShockD

I believe it's possible if you let yourself fall into hypnosis. If you resist, it shouldn't work. That's how I see it.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By handlas

@mandude said:

If you're writing off hypnosis because of magicians and Youtube videos, then you should also write off politicians as mere myth, too, because of the current state of the world

Or maybe you just need to change your definition of what hypnosis is, because it is certainly not "When someone can make another person do whatever the fuck they want".

Because it is a youtube video it holds no validity? Okay... research James Randi plz.

And saying hypnosis is real only if you "allow yourself" to be hypnotized...wtf kind of answer is that? That's a non-answer. I believe leprechauns are real. So that makes them real...fact!

People saying it is real. Give evidence...scientific evidence... that something is happening in a subject's brain when they are hypnotized. I'll wait.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By InternetCrab

If you mean hypnotizing as in controlling other human being's minds, then no, it is not real.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By kishinfoulux

I'm stunned that many people believe in it.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By ninjalegend

Hypnosis as a state of mind drug induced or naturally is a thing. Making people believe they are animals or are having orgasms when they are not is poppycock. Subliminal suggestion works outside of a hypnotic state as well. For example, if having a loud argument with someone who is not batshit mental, slowly lowering the decibel of your voice will usually cause them to lower theirs in turn without having to suggest to do so.

In conclusion, if you want people to do your bidding, it is a long and arduous road you must take. Brain washing and indoctrination are two roads that will lead you where you want to go. It will take years to get them to drink the Kool Aid in most cases, though.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By SSully

@kishinfoulux said:

As other users have said, it is real. There are thousands of documents studies of how it works, how to do it, and why it works better on certain people. It's not like its portrayed on TV where I swing a watch in front of you and can make you rob a make, it just puts your mind in a much more open state. You can't make someone who is hypnotized do something they don't want to do.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By mikemcn

@SSully said:

@kishinfoulux said:

As other users have said, it is real. There are thousands of documents studies of how it works, how to do it, and why it works better on certain people. It's not like its portrayed on TV where I swing a watch in front of you and can make you rob a make, it just puts your mind in a much more open state. You can't make someone who is hypnotized do something they don't want to do.

Yea, its not mindcontrol, its just a bit of mental trickery, anyone who gets hypnotized will tell you that they could stop themselves ,when they wanted to, from doing whatever they were doing.

I saw a hypnosis show where the hypnotist got 40+ people (And a few in the audience by accident) to think they were spies, that they were on a beach, that they were tarzan, amongst other things. I knew a bunch of people in that group and most of them were not the crazy, comedic type, but they played their roles perfectly and didn't let on anything the whole time, they honestly believed what the hyponist was telling them and responded accordingly. It's like being drunk, your inhibitions go away and you're able to let yourself go crazy.

It was absolutely real, its not magic, its just a trick, but it's a very effective trick, and everyone should see a hyponist show at somepoint, i had a ton of fun.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By beforet

Having experience with therapeutic hypnosis, I believe it's as real as you want it to be. In the end it's all just listening to suggestions, and you need to make the decision on whether you want to follow along or not. That is to say, it's not magic and it can't make people do what they don't want to do.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#61  Edited By monkeyking1969
NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

I believe in it.

Either it's true or thousands of people (including myself) are estupido.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Tarsier

i think its real. i think certain people can easily have their minds controlled. it says a lot about human beings in this time .

shaunpoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've read on the subject the way stage hypnosis works is there are certain types of people who would rather play along to please a crowd than face the embarassment of it not working. The stage hypnotist when calling people to the stage is trying to find the most extraverted people who crave that attention the most. So in a way its a real phenomina that certain people will choose to cluck like a chicken rather than be awkward in front of a crowd but they haven't really lost control of their bodies as the stage hypnotist tries to make it seem.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no clue , never seen anything of that sort live so who knows.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Science says it's bullshit.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MideonNViscera

I never really thought to question this before haha

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
I think they may have an answer for you.
I think they may have an answer for you.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By PeasantAbuse

My neighbor lost a ton of weight by going to one of those hypnosis weight loss clinic things. He is even on one of their commercials with before and after pictures.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well its real, the way its portrayed in the media is a load of bullshit though.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#72  Edited By fox01313

Agreed with the Penn & Teller BS episode on this, hypnosis might help in things like quitting smoking but it's not going to make you into a anything goes zombie . It's more of a suggestive reminder thing than what Hollywood makes us believe (just like explosions, good comparisons on Mythbusters on this too).

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I believe that amidst all of the phony bologna crap there is a real use of it.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Iron_Tool

@handlas said:

@superfoot said:

@handlas said:

Nope. None of it. The people being put into hypnosis to "recall memories" are more likely having "memories" planted into their mind by the hypnosis. And the stage people that are made to act like a dog or whatever are just attention whores hamming it up for the audience... small minded folk willing to play along.

That Penn and Teller Bullsh*t episode about it was funny.

I'm inclined to think its all nonsense myself but how can it all be fake but still be able to implant memories?

Just my opinion on what I've seen and much smarter people than I that have investigated such things but a person being hypnotized is there mostly likely because they chose to be there. Thus, they are inclined to believe in it and are easily persuaded by what the person performing the hypnosis might suggest to them. Like any other scam artist... Psychics for example, where they ask a ton of question and when one hits they latch onto it. The person being asked the questions is probably there because they are open to believing in the nonsense. Basically I guess I'm saying the mind is a powerful thing. If you want and someone else wants you to believe something happened... then you may very well believe it to be fact.

I can't explain it eloquently. I suggest watching the Penn and Teller BS episode or James Randi's old show where he exposes people that believe (or don't believe but do it for a profit) they have powers like being psychic.

This vid for example:

I know hypnosis and psychics are not exactly the same thing but I'm sure there are correlations in how they operate with the people they work with. If hypnosis really works then show me the facts of it doing so at least.

James Randi is my heeero.

EDIT: Better yet... a definition of hypnosis from the James Randi Education Foundation's website. Basically what I was trying to say through my ramblings but in a much more succinct way.

"Since there are no adequate definitions of trance and no means whereby one can test for that state, it appears more likely that hypnotism is a mutual agreement of the operator and the subject that the subject will cooperate in following suggestions and in acting out various suggested scenarios. As such, hypnotism may be a valuable tool in psychology."

^ this

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

It's about as fake as the placebo effect.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, in a weird sort of way. It can't be used to make you do something you don't want, if that's what you mean. It's all just relaxing and following suggestions.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By falserelic

I've completely forgot I made this thread, its funny how time goes by.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Hypnosis is a real thing, it's just not the ridiculous "bark like a dog" trick that people pull off.

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ShockD

I believe that one can be hypnotized if he let himself be hypnotized.

Give me a comfy chair, a beer and slow music and you can hypnotize me anyday.