Do you believe we all have a purpose on our time on earth?

• 132 results
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: thanks, that was a nice thing to say. I am conflicted because I can't find any other purpose besides art that I enjoy. I don't enjoy art anymore, most of my better drawings takes too many steps and it gets really dull and unmotivating. I think most ppl are this way, they still don't know what they want to be when they grow up even with a few carrer changes. These ppl feels like they have no purpose, just hating their jobs and putting up with it. I am feeling sort of that way right now, I just don't know what my calling is. I don't even thing I have one, i'm starting to think maybe I have no purpose, except to entertain all of you here, lol. The whole concept of having a purpose is a lie. Someone suggested I should be a comedian or something before yesterday, lol yeah right.
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Deusx

No. We are nothing but a tiny spec of dust on the vast reaches of outer space so yeah, we are not that important, we do not have a purpose.

Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By OppressiveStink

@HitmanAgent47: Well, I also wanted to comment on your art thing. As a fellow artist, I have something to confide in you, I was no good either... to start.

I didn't decide I wanted to get into art seriously until my senoir year in highschool, which means any serious attempt I've done at art has only been in the last decade or so, usually this means it's a bit too late to start training for art. Stating this, I went from perhaps one of the worst artists I knew, to the best artist in my graduating class. How did I do it? Practice and study.

For a while I thought it was down to "talent" people who were blessed with the fine motor skills and the better ability to observe surroundings, but, as I've aged, I've realized the great artist of the world trained their asses off to be better than the rest.

I sat down and forced myself to draw, every day, to read, every day, to explore techniques, every day. These are the things people need to do to become truly good artists. Hell, I still don't view myself as a good artist when comparing myself to the world's stage, that's why I still practice, practice, practice.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By theguy
@MariachiMacabre said:

I believe there is no human smart enough to answer this question. Same with the question of the existence of god. No one is smart enough to know.

I don't think its really about intelligence some things are just impossible to know. No one can know if there is a twinkie floating around in a galaxy billions of light years away but experience, logic and sense suggest there isn't so we believe that there isn't. I'm borrowing from Descartes here but basically it's impossible to know anything unequivocally except that we exist (and a few other things i think). 
theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By theoldhouse

TO PLAY ZELDA  

AND THEN DIE 

WHILE PLAYING ZELDA.....HD?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@OppressiveStink: I like to see more of your art, if you have them somewhere, feel free to send a link to it for a priv msg or something. I want to know what level you are at after telling me that. I'm glad there is someone else who can relate to me, yes during highschool, all I did was draw. Now i'm like using a whiteboard to quickly erase and adapt the style, but it's slow. It turned out like shit when I posted it at another thread, doesn't even look like cartoons at all. I depend on my pc to ink the lines, which it looks much better, or I use a light table and depend on the second layer to look better, since the first one is all scribbles. It keeps everything clean and tidy, also it lacks a lifelike quality for my overly clean lines. I honestly don't know how some ppl does it, there must be some kind of trick to figuring it out. I guess now i'm going to have more respect for animators and cartoonist and not going to look down on their work for the lack of detail. It's really more difficult.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By Hizang

I'm not really a religion man, but I belive that if you do good in life good things will happen after life, if you do bad, bad things will happen after life.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#59  Edited By Hailinel

Time is what we make it. There is no such thing as fate.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ervonymous

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

No.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61  Edited By tebbit

All you people saying "we're just bags of meat etc etc" are so boring!

Gotta make your own purpose, dawgs!

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By falserelic

If I do have a purpose of living.I would like to know what it is.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By defaulttag

TO EVERYONE ON HERE:

What is better?

The opportunity to create a purpose and enjoy your existence? Or none at all?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I just want to comment how there are a lot of world class comic artist, not the low level ones. They do have a purpose imo, they were drawn to art and somehow they figured out how to tell stories though these comic books. Its not easy to do, there is a whole science behind it most of us can't do. What about artist in general, they might actually be born with talent or have some kind of potential, not all of them but some of them. Then again, some of these ppl goes to 3d animation (2d animators) or something else, living from paycheck to paycheck. But still, to be artistic is to have some kind of talent, potential, drive, direction, purpose. 

We all have our own favorite artist and stuff, these ppl are talented and seems very purpose driven. They enjoy it. 

What about all these ufc fighters, they don't have some kind of purpose are were born fighters and trained to improve? I'm only saying, they might disagree with the concept of having no purpose.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Delta_Ass said:

Life is like a box of chocolates, Forrest. You never know what you're gonna get.

Life is like a box of chocolates, nobody ever asks for it.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HitmanAgent47: yeah no problem.  maybe you should make art for yourself rather than the people around you?  even if the simpler art doesnt look as nice as your complicated work, you should definately pursue the less complicated method.  you enjoy the less complicated way of making art and its your art; you should be proud of it.  even if you get a shitty ass job you can still make art.  my grandpa studied everyday of his life and he loved learning.  i swear, he was the only person i knew who actually enjoyed learning new things.  he knew like 4 other languages other than english and japanese.  he knew more aboriginal history than an aboriginal person he became friends with.  he had royal blood and he was wealthy before the second world war and his family owned a mountain.  yet, he moved to Vancouver with his family when he was in his 40s and he opened up a dry cleaning business.  he couldve became someone that was payed a high salary yet he chose a simple life.  he was well known in the Japanese community over here and its just sad that he had to die before i could have a smart discussion with him.  the point that im trying to make is that everyone has a purpose no matter what kind of a job you have.  you can still enjoy your passion and affect the lives surrounding yours.   if you want to be a comedian nobody is stopping you?  try it out
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#67  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I believe we have purpose on this Earth in that we and the people around us assign us purpose, but I don't believe in fate, destiny, divine gifts, or any kind of higher being or supernatural force assigning us purpose.

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Fontan
@defaulttag said:

TO EVERYONE ON HERE:

What is better?

The opportunity to create a purpose and enjoy your existence? Or none at all?

Didn't read through the whole topic, but yours is probably the best answer in here. No matter if there is no real purpose, we all have the opportunity to create one for ourselves. In the end, truth is what we make of it and is different for each and every one of us. 

So, @HitmanAgent47, in here you'll find the truths of every one who replies, which may or may not ressonate with your own. Just make your own purpose and keep on it as long as it feels right to you.
Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By OppressiveStink

@HitmanAgent47: I'm actually trying to keep as much of my art career from my video game hobby as I can, but I sketched this for ya on a graphics tablet. It's not really detailed as I only spent about 10 min on it, but hopefully it shows you how much I grasp the human form without a reference.

BTW, always use a reference, all decent artists do. I was just really lazy.

No Caption Provided
Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Jimbo7676

No

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By defaulttag

@HitmanAgent47: There's this intriguing book called "The Secret History of the World" by Mark Booth. It mentions almost every single important person who ever influenced history. From Adam, to Jesus, to Shakespeare, to Plato, to Einstein, to Watson and Crick (and dozens more). These individuals all shared something in common according to the author. A purpose that ties them together you could say. The book cannot be taken as a history book of course. The reader has the option to see it as an interpretation of history. Or perhaps an underlying truth. It's not necessarily fiction though, since the events and people the book mentions all existed in one form or another. Oh yeah, it also hates on the Illuminati =] It's an interesting read. Does it show what our purpose is? It shows why our existence is the way it is today in this time. Other than that, it's mostly the reader's decision in the end to find that purpose and pursue it.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Deusx
@HitmanAgent47 said:
@OppressiveStink: I like to see more of your art, if you have them somewhere, feel free to send a link to it for a priv msg or something. I want to know what level you are at after telling me that. I'm glad there is someone else who can relate to me, yes during highschool, all I did was draw. Now i'm like using a whiteboard to quickly erase and adapt the style, but it's slow. It turned out like shit when I posted it at another thread, doesn't even look like cartoons at all. I depend on my pc to ink the lines, which it looks much better, or I use a light table and depend on the second layer to look better, since the first one is all scribbles. It keeps everything clean and tidy, also it lacks a lifelike quality for my overly clean lines. I honestly don't know how some ppl does it, there must be some kind of trick to figuring it out. I guess now i'm going to have more respect for animators and cartoonist and not going to look down on their work for the lack of detail. It's really more difficult.
Sir, you are smart. Hi- five*
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

#realtalk

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Afroman269

I'm just here to make with what I have at my own disposal. I don't believe in destiny.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By Aronman789
 This is space, which is made up of billions of filaments, which are made up of billions of galaxy clusters, which are made up of billions of galaxies, which are made up of billions of stars, which are surrounded by planets. How am I supposed to believe that every person on just one of these planets is important enough to have their whole life planned out for them?
 This is space, which is made up of billions of filaments, which are made up of billions of galaxy clusters, which are made up of billions of galaxies, which are made up of billions of stars, which are surrounded by planets. How am I supposed to believe that every person on just one of these planets is important enough to have their whole life planned out for them?
Avatar image for passivekaerenai
PassiveKaerenai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By PassiveKaerenai

I reckon there's two choices:

1. Accept the inscrutability of things, and have enough humility to understand that a miniscule species lacks the right, at this stage of its development, to know what it desires to know, or to demand answers to questions that may not even be valid from the universe at large.
2. Make up a God or Purpose to explain every question right now, and raise humanity on a pedestal as 'special' beings.

Me? It strikes me as arrogant to think that we even can see a purpose yet. Still, people need to sleep at night, and I respect that. So long as the human brain is working to find a purpose, I reckon it's on the right track. Just stay open-minded, kids.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

The failure of much of humanity is it's inability to conceive of an intellect incomprehensibly greater than it's own. We are arrogant specks of protoplasm, cosmic microbes, crawling about in the slime of our mud-ball, puffed up with pride because our species became adept at chipping flint.                                                                                                                                                                                           To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing
Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Butler

Existence is meaningless. We ascribe meaning to events in space and time to comfort ourselves, it gives us something concrete we can latch onto. My opinions and assumptions are neither more correct nor truer than anyone elses. So meaning becomes a personalized thing that is neither more correct nor truer than anyone esles.

All I know is "Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die." Enjoy it all.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#79  Edited By TheHT

To make baby and service glorious nation.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#80  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

To say any one person has a purpose is absurd.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By Yanngc33

@foggel said:

To reproduce, I guess.

thinking with your penis, I like it!

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@OppressiveStink said:

@HitmanAgent47: I'm actually trying to keep as much of my art career from my video game hobby as I can, but I sketched this for ya on a graphics tablet. It's not really detailed as I only spent about 10 min on it, but hopefully it shows you how much I grasp the human form without a reference.

BTW, always use a reference, all decent artists do. I was just really lazy.

No Caption Provided
Cool, maybe we should collaborate? You draw a pose, I build it, you draw over it and it should look great. I never posted a drawing in this thread also I said I sucked at it. Well i'm okay if it has details it seems to look okay, but for pure cartoony stuff, I just can't do it. I can do things with more details. I see a ton of mistakes, but it's a sketch, usually I fix all the stuff in post production, or when I ink it with a program. If it's not that good, I probally could do better with more time, it's a quick sketch.

No Caption Provided
dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By dagas

People have been asking that question for thousands of years, I doubt some dudes on an internet forum will come up with an answer.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By lockwoodx

Zero purpose or I wouldn't spend all my time playing games.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#85  Edited By galiant

@HitmanAgent47 said:

@Galiant: Kobe bryant's dad was a basketball player, didn't kobe then now have a purpose? Also maybe devine talent in a way? Or donald trump was always meant to be rich, does he have a purpose to be rich? I'm not just saying this to you, but everyone else. What about tiger woods, does he have a special purpose and talent, a purpose to play golf?

That's just what they chose to focus their time on. The way you describe purpose you make it sound like destiny, as in some higher being decided that that was what you were supposed to do. I'm not into that. They just chose to do something and were devoted enough to get good at it. Purpose has nothing to do with it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Fontan: What kind of purpose should I create. I honestly have no idea, what would you suggest? I don't know, I need alot of time to think of something like this, so far I am finding things meaningless. Also if everyone should just make up a purpose right now, anything that will serve us right now, then that means we will all have some kind of a purpose.

@Galiant: you know it takes some kind of potential to excel at something at such a high level. Hardwork doesn't mean we all will be basketball players or pro golfers or rich businessmen.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By valrog

Some are destined to do Great things.

But that brings the question... What about everyone else?

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#88  Edited By nok

Floating on a rock programmed to eat cheetos.

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Fontan
@HitmanAgent47:  I am afraid no one could tell you that, less so on an internet gaming forum. Just be true to yourself and go with the things that make you happy. Matter such as greatness are just a thing of ego and one's purpose need not be world-changing. Just needs to make you happy. That's how I see things and it's worked pretty well for me.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By MrKlorox

No. I may be crazy, but I'm not an idiot.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By AuthenticM

We are just floating on a rock and we are all trying to make the best of it. The whole purpose thing is just vagaries of human perception. There is no devine talent or purpose. We live.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm here to laugh, love and live. That should be enough for anyone. I do not live my life in service to some invisible entity.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#93  Edited By FesteringNeon

No. I think it's an accident we're here.. our purpose is to ultimately destroy ourselves until the water and ice phase wipes us out. Hopefully some remnants of our life cycles educate the next wave of organisms.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#94  Edited By tourgen

Maybe read some Carl Sagan. He had something useful to say on the subject. "Demon Haunted World" and "Cosmos" are both good.

"We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself." -Carl Sagan

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By amir90
@TheSeductiveMoose: Swedish answer, not acceptable!

Not really, I am what I am, because of my parents and my experience.
I will do my best to as nice and shareful as possible, but that is it.
Basically what you are talking about is the meaning of life.
You create your own meaning of your life, and this is the meaning of life.

Everything else is pretty much religious bs.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Scooper

Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Some people find that thought disturbing. I find the reality thrilling.
As the ancient mythmakers knew we're children equally of the Earth and the sky. In our tenure on this planet, we've accumulated dangerous evolutionary baggage. We've also acquired compassion for others, love for our children and a great soaring passionate intelligence. The clear tools for our continued survival. 

That's it and that's all. Do what makes you happy because you only live once.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By HitmanAgent47

If i'm floating on a rock and no matter how hard I try, also all the time I put into drawing, should I just say forget it it's okay to not be a good artist? If it's all survival, then what does it matter, just keep it as a hobby. Maybe I should change my style to be completely anime or something more interesting. But i'm going to work on my cartooning for a month and blog about it. If it's still not that good, then it's my fault and I should move on. At least I know after an entire month I tried to read every book on the subject, I tried to understand the concept, but it's not for me. If not, i'm going to another style, like those batman super hero style from now on or something else. If I tried my best everyday for a month to refine or improve on cartooning simple stuff and can't do it, I can say without regret I tried my best to get it. I don't know, I just wished I was talented as some of those world class artist, they don't know how lucky they are for being so talented. Then again for many years now after failing at it, I don't enjoy drawing, maybe it's a good thing, I am just here without any real purpose and I might of believed I had one before. Which is just a problem with perception.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#98  Edited By Skald

Maybe none of that really matters.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

You're only here because your dad blew into your mom.  

True story. There's nothing else.
Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100  Edited By Lemegeton

nope all that fate and destiny stuff is horseshit. there is no plan and there is no reason behind anything.