Do you believe we have the RIGHT to bear arms/own weapons? (Q of the Day 8-26-10)

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By astrotriforce

Honestly this is a really tough one. Especially when you look at countries like Japan, where guns are illegal, are violence is so much lower than here in the US. Then again, their entire culture is built around respect and whatnot.... But yeah it's a tough one. At the same time you don't want the government being able to do whatever the heck they want, and that's the basis of our right to bear arms . . .

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By gingertastic_10

Yes. It's just there are some people out there that abuse that right. And those people get the attention of the press, and they yell foul.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By adoggz

yay, politics on Giant Bomb. this is going to go well.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By JB16

I believe people have the right to defend themselves. And if the want to use their LEGAL weapon to defend themselves from danger then more power to them.

However some guns are unnecessary, I can't think of a single reason as to why someone would need an assault rifle (AR-15, AK-47, etc.) semi-automatic or not, they are overpowered weapons that shouldn't be in civilian hands in my honest opinion. I mean a shootout with a burglar would only require a pistol or a shotgun since your at close range anyway, plus it's not needed for hunting because who needs a 30 round magazine to put down a deer?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

Yes, I do.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I totally support the right to bear arms.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By oraknabo

Actually, this is not a tough one at all. Your rights are defined by your country's laws. If you're an American you absolutely have the right to own a registered weapon unless you don't meet the qualifications of age, criminal history, etc. 

If you live in a country where gun ownership is restricted to police and military or are flat-out illegal, then you don't have the right. 

If you're asking about some natural "a priori", "God-given" right or whether it's a good idea to have everyone running around armed, then you start getting into the tough territory.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

No. From my conversations with others the amendment was for a specific time in American history involving hostile British forces. When it comes to history i'm always for placing things in context. Either way, im not knowledgeable at all in this field so please don't try to debate me. But if I made a mistake, please correct me :)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat

lol Bear arms yes, bare arms no.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

Ugh yeah this question's gonna spawn a lot of love and respect from everyone involved.  Yaaay! 

Anyway, the way I see it there are simply way too many guns, and waaay too much ammo around in the states to just declare them all illegal. It's not really a matter of rights or what's right or wrong, it's just plain numbers. I can understand restricting/stopping the sales of it, and trying to cut off ammo sales as well.  But so much is being stockpiled that it's virtually impossible to disarm the states, and if it ends up that the only people who have guns are criminals, the crime rates could potentially rise. As it is, they are lower than before though, so that's nice. 

Basically, I think it'd be nice to lay the guns to rest, (kinda ironic, since I do like target shooting), but I don't think there's a politician in the world that could organize the disarmament of the US. 

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bobdaman18

I can't be the only one who is thinking of that george carlin skit about "rights", right?
ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ltcoljaxson
@oraknabo: 

Behind the veil of ignorance, it would be more than likely that guns would never be considered a right to have - as this benefits only the self and not the majority of the population (this is not utilitarianism either).  I believe it would be much more safe if guns were not a right - although this would only accelerate certain types of organized crime who would profit. 

There are so many idiotic gun crimes and accidents caused by guns that could be avoided if less people had them. The argument that, "I have the right to defend my house and family", is rather old one that most families will never have to go through. Basically just an excuse to have a gun when there are also other methods of protecting your family that work in a much better and safer way.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#14  Edited By EpicSteve

I own guns to protect myself from people who want to abuse their right to own guns.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss

@astrotriforce said:

...you don't want the government being able to do whatever the heck they want, and that's the basis of our right to bear arms . . . "

The only thing I don't understand  is that the right to bear arms doesn't really seem to apply to your right to "defend yourself" anymore.

Let's be honest, the government can send any agency they want to come get you or your family at any time, justly or unjustly, and you turn a gun on them - you're going to find out how little "right" you actually have to bear those arms.

So, like a lot of the big issues, I say: In theory, yes. In reality, I don't know. 

PS: My knowledge on this is limited, so correct me if I'm wrong but try not to be a dick about it :)    ....or I'll blow yer fuckin head off :P
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne

No, and I regard everyone who does as dangerous and slightly retarded.

Tuksit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tuksit

No, the argument about people needing guns to defend themselves from the government is beyond old hat and pretty ridiculous now. Call me a pacifist or what have you.(you wouldn't be wrong, I'm also not delusional so I know a world without violence or a least guns will never happen.)

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oraknabo
@ProfessorEss said:
 Let's be honest, the government can send any agency they want to come get you or your family at any time, justly or unjustly, and you turn a gun on them - you're going to find out how little "right" you actually have to bear those arms.    
Exactly, the Branch Davidians weren't exactly lacking in guns and now how many of them are left? 
Bevinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bevinsky

No. The right to bear arms can not be justified, even by saying that you want to protect yourself from others who abuse that right. Had there been no right to bear arms to begin with, there wouldn't be a problem.

zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zepp

I think someone should be able to own a gun, but only if they really want too. What I mean is, I think that someone should have to prove that they know how to use a gun properly. The process of getting a gun shouldn't be so easy, there needs to be a stricter gun licencing policy. Because, I feel the reason we have such a problem with gun violence is because we allow to many idiots to get a hold of them.  A lot, of you will say "that's cause of the black market", well I guess as long as we allow guns it's just going to be something that we as a country will have to deal with. I know a lot of people who own guns and show respect for their capabilities and I don't see any reason why they can't have one. It's just people who think that somebody deserves to be shot because they stepped on your land, well that's just stupid and if your that hot headed you don't deserve to bear a weapon.

mominshahab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mominshahab

It's not a right, it's a privilege. 

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FlyingRat

There's no such thing as rights, there are only opinions. And people will do whatever the hell they please anyway, regardless of what you tell them. Personally, i do not feel the need to own a gun, beyond that, i don't really care.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mano521
@Bevinsky:  that isnt necessarily true. even if it was illegal to bear arms, people will get their hands on them if they needed to. If people can get weed, cocaine, heroin in small towns like mine, someone looking for guns and ammo would be no problem. there are already people selling guns to people without licenses now. so why shouldnt we have a chance to protect ourselves from these people?
RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RaceKickfist
@mano521 said:
" @Bevinsky:  that isnt necessarily true. even if it was illegal to bear arms, people will get their hands on them if they needed to. If people can get weed, cocaine, heroin in small towns like mine, someone looking for guns and ammo would be no problem. there are already people selling guns to people without licenses now. so why shouldnt we have a chance to protect ourselves from these people? "
agreed. the cliche "if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them' may be tired and trite, but that doesnt make it any less logical. If some criminal has his mind on shooting me and stealing my wallet my 'opinion that nobody has the right to bear arms' is not going to stop that dude's bullet. but me having my own protection might make him think twice.
captjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By captjim
@Bevinsky said:
" No. The right to bear arms can not be justified, even by saying that you want to protect yourself from others who abuse that right. Had there been no right to bear arms to begin with, there wouldn't be a problem. "
do you actually think that someone who has no qualms with murder is going to obey gun laws?
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King

Man, you are getting pretty conservative lately. Anyway, probably not, since there are definitely some people who should not have guns.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the U.S, it's in our Constitution... so yes.  I enjoy shooting targets, and I would rather have a weapon to defend myself and not need it, than to need it and not have it.    
@Bevinsky said:

" No. The right to bear arms can not be justified, even by saying that you want to protect yourself from others who abuse that right. Had there been no right to bear arms to begin with, there wouldn't be a problem. "
Also:  prove that.  We don't have the right to bear automatic weaponry, yet people still get it, albeit a lot less.

If we just outlawed guns, it would probably be a little like the 1930s prohibition.  Except with guns.
captjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By captjim
@xobballox: so mobsters would throw beer cans at each other and make guns in their basements?
HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HellBrendy
@astrotriforce said:
" Honestly this is a really tough one. Especially when you look at countries like Japan, where guns are illegal, are violence is so much lower than here in the US. Then again, their entire culture is built around respect and whatnot.... But yeah it's a tough one. At the same time you don't want the government being able to do whatever the heck they want, and that's the basis of our right to bear arms . . . "
Then look to Norway (my country). The whole respect-thing doesn't really apply, and guns are still common due to the old traditions of hunting. Yet the police doesn't even carry guns when out on patrol,a point I am really proud of as a norwegian. And I can't for the life of me see how owning a gun can help you to prevent the goverment doing whatever they want. Are you supposed to shoot a politician that doesn't agree with you in a discussion or what?  
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By haggis
@JB16:  AR15 overpowered? Are you crazy? It takes a .223 round. Good luck taking down a deer with that. :/  Most standard hunting rifles for moderate-sized game take larger rounds than that. The only thing that scares people about the AR-15 is how it looks, not how it functions. My uncle's Remington 700 takes a .308 and is hugely more powerful than the .223 cartridge.

The AR15 is semi-auto, just like most handguns and other hunting rifles. Automatic weapons (ie., assault weapons) are illegal in the US for nearly all civilians. There is no functional difference between the AR15 and most hunting rifles save for the fact that it looks like the M16.

Edit: It's worth noting that most hunting rifles require larger rounds than what is necessary to take down a human, hence the larger calibers. It's also worth noting that not all military-issue "assault weapons" even fire on full-auto, since it's a waste of ammo. The usually leave full-auto for suppressive fire from the SAW or other squad-operated weapons. Hunting rifles for deer and bear are almost always more effective than fully-automatic weapons. People who don't know anything about guns tend to be scared of automatic weapons, but the fact is that typical hunting rifles that aren't fully automatic are usually far more dangerous than ammo-eating, innacurate autos, even in the hands of trained professionals.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captjim: Yes :P  No, I mean the underground market for illegal weapons would most likely sky-rocket, giving underground organization a huge influx of money.
thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thefreed

Well... I lived in Korea for a couple years and they outlawed guns there. Nobody has guns so the culture is a lot different then what it is like out here in California... 
I personally think the US screwed up with it, now so many people use guns to do crime... I mean in Countries like Korea people just fight with fists or knives O_O to sort out there troubles but out here, every one's trying to solve there problems with a gun.

I do realize that anything can be used as a weapon but the culture out here is just way screwed up... but I guess it's not only the gun laws to blame.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Goldanas
@Bevinsky said:
Indeed. The idea of "freedom" is always generalized in this debate, but there is no good reason to ever own a gun. 

This stipulation was put into the US constitution in the first place because we were being invaded by the British at the time and didn't have a standing army. Any male who could stand had to have a gun and join the militia. The world is very different now. 

Guns are incredibly easy to obtain. The very right that allows one to own a gun in one's home, is the same right that puts a gun in many criminals' hands. Were they not so readily accessible, gun violence in troubled neighborhoods would decrease dramatically. 

If a criminal enters your home, it's unlikely that he'll have a gun. It is incredibly likely, however, that he'll be deterred by sound and noise or an alarm coming from the rest of the house. Lights coming on, are also an immediate guarantee that he'll skedaddle. Owning a gun in the home does not increase one's safety, but, in fact, increases the chance that the gun will be used against the owner. If the criminal in one's home doesn't find it and use it, it's also just as likely that, in a very heated domestic dispute, a spouse will grab the weapon and use it against the owner, or the other way around. 

Guns kill people. There is nothing redeeming about a gun. 

Unfortunately, firearms like handguns are so common in today's society that their removal is unrealistic. One of the only reasonable solutions to decrease violence while still keeping the NRA happy is to increase the price of bullets tremendously. In this method, everyone owns a gun, but almost no one keeps them loaded. 

If we're ever able to subvert all guns to mere display models and toys, that's when I'll be satisfied.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By teh_destroyer

I own some swords that I think I have the right to use to chop down my neighbors trees if they offend my living quarters.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm against guns.

I appreciate a good sword fight every now and then tho.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By haggis
@Goldanas:  "This stipulation was put into the US constitution in the first place because we were being invaded by the British at the time and didn't have a standing army. Any male who could stand had to have a gun and join the militia." 

You need to brush up on your history. If you read the Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers, you'll find this to not be the case. It had nothing to do with the invasion by the British. The Constitutional ratification in 1787 and the ratification of the Second Amendment in 1791 happened during the peace between the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. There was no invasion by the British at the time. There would be a minor naval war with France and the conflict with the Barbary pirates, but there was no domestic war in the US from 1783 to 1812, the period in which the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were ratified.

"If a criminal enters your home, it's unlikely that he'll have a gun."

The statistics I've seen don't bear this out. Of course, if you've got data that proves your point, I'll be happy to look at it.

"If the criminal in one's home doesn't find it and use it, it's also just as likely that, in a very heated domestic dispute, a spouse will grab the weapon and use it against the owner, or the other way around."

Again, the data I've seen proves the opposite of what you claim. But post some data, and I'll be happy to look at it.

"Guns kill people.

No, people kill people. Guns are tools. People kill with knives, cars, common household cleaning chemicals, all sorts of things. In cities where guns have been outlawed, gun violence is far more rampant than in areas where gun ownership is common. I just look at my neighborhood, in Central Pennsylvania. Guns are everywhere. There is virtually no gun violence. In neighboring Philadelphia, however, where people generally are prohibited from owning guns, there is lots of gun violence. Gun prohibition has been shown time and time again to empower criminals and disempower civilians.

"There is nothing redeeming about a gun. "

Sure there is. I target shoot all the time. It's an absolute joy. I don't hunt, but I know a lot of people who do. They love their guns too, and find them to be quite enjoyable. Guns are tools. If you want to stop violence, you need to deal with the people. It's easier for some to demonize the tool rather than the person who misuses it. Which is why cities are so full of violence, and the suburbs (where most of the civilian-owned guns are) have so little of it.
captjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By captjim
@Goldanas said:

" @Bevinsky said:

If a criminal enters your home, it's unlikely that he'll have a gun. It is incredibly likely, however, that he'll be deterred by sound and noise or an alarm coming from the rest of the house. Lights coming on, are also an immediate guarantee that he'll skedaddle. Owning a gun in the home does not increase one's safety, but, in fact, increases the chance that the gun will be used against the owner. If the criminal in one's home doesn't find it and use it, it's also just as likely that, in a very heated domestic dispute, a spouse will grab the weapon and use it against the owner, or the other way around. 
you know those home security commercials aren't representations of reality right?
there's no goddamned guarantee that a criminal will flee hearing an alarm or knowing someone's in the house. what's just as likely - probably more - is he'll decide to do what he was doing a lot faster, and you'll have no means of stopping him. if a guy breaks into your house, he'll have a weapon - at the very least, a blunt object, maybe more - that he can use against you, and i don't know about you but i'd rather have a gun to use instead of having to hide and wait for him to leave and for the cops to get here, or to grasp around for the closest thing i can try to smack him with and hope it gets the job done.

and on the topic of banning guns = decrease in violence, well... in mexico, gun control laws are stricter. strictly .38s and smaller (although some stuff that's smaller and banned, like glocks and .357s for example) are banned and so are more modern rifles using ammo like 7.62mm. that doesn't help any, does it? so many criminals own guns there - guns that are illegal- that there's literally a war on between them and the mexican government. wealthy citizens have been kidnapped and killed and home security systems haven't helped them one bit. owning a gun would've evened the odds a little more.
tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By tomance

If someone wants a gun, they will get it.  I would say most crimes committed with guns are illegally obtained.  As for that post about Japanese having a lower crime rate, that's also because the japanese value respect and honor waayyyy more than the United States ever could.

thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thefreed
there is the matters of freedom... but it's no secret that some inventions were meant to do more harm then good... and with all the evil that it's producing I think it should be illegal.

How could man rejoice in victory and delight in the slaughter of men?
Lao Tzu

... There are many things wrong with the world... and I personally think that it is the cause of all the deceit and manipulations that the people in power have done to us. Some of you may not understand what I say... but there are things influencing our behavior and attitudes whether we know about it or not.

The invisible cobwebs of social restraints and the influences from culture and learning is very real.
 And they can basically make us believe whatever they want.

“The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.” Henry Louis Mencken

“We allow the most atrocious lies uttered by political and moral prostitutes to go unchallenged. These lies are endlessly recycled in the commercial media until they become ingrained in the public conscience as truth. Worse than burying our heads in the sand, we bury them up our collective ass. How do you like the view?” Charles Sullivan

“The statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception.” Mark Twain

It's so much more then the propagandists and the government itself... The rabbit hole goes much deeper then we think.

"It does not matter if the war is not real. The war is not meant to be won but to be continuous. A hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance."

-George Orwell, 1984

Repetition is the most basic form of mind control... Sadly this world is a bit different than what most of us think it is.

“Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.” Adolf Hitler

All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.
George Orwell

Since the first day any form of government started... starting from kings, they have always looked for ways to control their citizens... As it is beneficial for what they're trying to do. They have created teams all over the world and at first it was beneficial as a man is a social animal. As psychology and the other sciences improved they have started to find the ways to influence and control people more efficiently. There was propaganda even in the Napoleon days. Not just the government but even the moneyed class with their power (Not to mention an honest politician is one who, when he is bought, stays bought) are using these techniques to influence us in profound ways that have changed us... They do not need to use force to control us men... They may need that for later. Their power to influence us start the chain reaction of repetition and influencing from your friends. 

These things have made us want more fanciful luxuries and made us thirst after money...

Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer

This world has almost everyone slaving over money... Going to school so they can go to college and get a reputable job. After that they will spend their hours... some of them getting paid by the hour... Trading their precious time and stay in this world for it; As they need it to survive.

Hundreds slave away to support the luxuries of one... The rich know that they can make the slaves do anything with the promise of money and they use this to farther their power. If the slaves would revolt and say that they don't want any money they would become free... but they keep on working because they want to get enough to become "kings" themselves.

Invariably money comes with almost limitless power and support to a human's life. It can get you a house in a good neighborhood... where your family can network with other "moneyed" class like themselves...
The people with no money stay in lower class neighborhoods where they learn the culture... and get raised by a different "soil"... They obviously don't have the same opportunities and support that the moneyed class do...

“For the great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are.” Niccolo Machiavelli

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
George Orwell

When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.- Dresden James  

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
Dresden James

I am afraid that this has gone on so long that... the awakening of the people might be near impossible but I am willing to try.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
George Orwell 
T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By T0mF5

Yes, I believe people should be allowed to own guns, but there should be more regulations on them.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By btman

Yes...just make sure the crazies don't get them.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By c1337us

I don't really care to elaborate so simple answer is No.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Goldanas
@haggis:  

I certainly agree with much of what you say. The problem with statistics is that they're never an accurate representation of anything. You can Google all of my claims and you can Google yours, and there will be reputable evidence refuting one another endlessly. At best we can pull personal experience, but then that is certainly not an accurate representation. 

I'd like to know more about the reason why the constitution was ratified. If you could direct me to some information that would be most helpful. 

I understand fully that guns are a "tool", but they are more often used as a weapon. I'd like to ask you what the purpose of a gun is. Why were they invented? I can understand the practical use of hurling tiny bits of metal at fatal speeds towards objects. It sounds like that's something that would come in handy for a lot of things. 

I certainly can understand that there are other weapons in the world, like knives, and cars, but those all have a practical use, aside from specifically weaponized objects, such as switchblades and their ilk. It is perhaps inaccurate for me to claim that guns kill people. I will rephrase by saying that weapons are designed to kill, and there is no justifiable reason to have them at hand in a modern society. 

Also, if you'd read the rest of my post, you would have perhaps seen that I understand you cannot outlaw weapons in the modern age as they are so prevalent, and I provided a better solution. Unfortunately, even then, there's no accounting for the black market. People want people dead it seems. 

@captjim:  

I'm sorry, I was pulling from personal experience. My house has been broken into five times. Each time, the burglar was unarmed, and ran almost immediately upon alarms going off, me shouting him down, all the lights coming on, etc. The same for my neighbors, and my family. The only time a burglar has ever made off with any of my relatives' things, was when they stole a car that didn't have an alarm on it. 

I realize that personal experience is never the best thing to draw from, and I apologize for making use of it.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Yup. 

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By haggis
@Goldanas:  "The problem with statistics is that they're never an accurate representation of anything." Wow. That's simply crazy. Of course they are an accurate representation of things. What you're saying, in short, is that you have no evidence to back up your claim, and are too lazy to try. That's fine, I guess.

"I'd like to know more about the reason why the constitution was ratified." 

More laziness. Seriously, if you don't know why the Constitution was ratified, you really ought to know better than to engage in this sort of debate. Like I said, read the Federalist and Anti-federalist Papers. I'm not going to write a book for you. In short, the American Founders believed in an individual right to own arms. It's not a controversial opinion.

"but they are more often used as a weapon." 

You make claims, but don't back them up. Guns are far more often used for recreation than in crimes in the US.

"Why were they invented?" 

Now I can see you're being purposefully being obtuse. Guns were invented for a variety of purposes. Killing, yes. Killing animals, primarily. Hunting. Providing food. That sort of thing. As you say, they are very useful for a variety of purposes.

"but those all have a practical use, aside from specifically weaponized objects" 

As do guns. Guns have many purposes. Killing other human beings being one of them. The primary use for weapons in the United States is recreation. Hunting. Target Shooting. Home defense is one purpose. Even in home defense, guns seldom kill. My primary target gun, a .22 pistol, is not designed to kill. In fact, it would be very difficult to kill someone with it. But it's possible. It's purpose is to shoot targets. My uncle's Remington 700 is designed to hunt deer. Can you kill a person with it? Certainly. But I can guarantee to you that virtually no Remington 700s sold in the US have ever killed a human being.

"Also, if you'd read the rest of my post, you would have perhaps seen that I understand you cannot outlaw weapons in the modern age as they are so prevalent, and I provided a better solution. Unfortunately, even then, there's no accounting for the black market. People want people dead it seems."

Oh, trust me. I read your whole post. Your solution was not better. It was kinda laughable. But I didn't want to embarrass you, since you obviously don't know much about guns. It's a free country, after all, and you're entitled to your opinions. But that doesn't mean your opinions aren't ill-informed.
DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DaemonicGrim

I'm sorry... I just couldn't help it... I know you're all thinking it anyway.

He'll kill you with his bear hands!
 He'll kill you with his bear hands!
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By meteora

Sure why not. 

Makes more sense in the rural though. Having guns in urban environments is never a good idea unless we've got men who are willing to take a stand against criminals in the streets.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By mazik765

No. Only people in professions like police officers or military personnel should be allowed to carry weapons. Hunting is a joke and people who keep guns around for show are just waiting for a tragic accident to happen. I'm Canadian so it doesn't really effect me, but I have never seen a law so abused and taken out of context as the American's 2nd Amendment.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hicks91

i dont think americans should have the right to bear arms at all