Do you enjoy Star Wars?

• 184 results
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I can't say I enjoy Star Wars these days. I really liked Jedi Academy and KotOR 1 and 2 back in the day, and the three first movies are OK, but I just can't take any more Star Wars. I'm completely saturated by the franchise nowadays. I don't dislike it or anything, but all these new announcements do absolutely nothing for me. I probably won't bother watching the new movies when they come out.

Then again, I don't really like watching movies to begin with, so that probably influences my opinion on a movie franchise.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I like all 6. Episodes 1 and 2 have some rough moments and occasionally cringe worthy stuff, but even still, I like them too.

AwkwardMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't say that I care for it, but I don't hate it. But, I really liked KotOR, so I guess I'm a psycho.

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: I dunno, I just never sought it out. I'm more open to sci-fi stuff than I used to be, though. I've played Jedi Academy and KOTOR, so maybe that would appease the hardcore fans. D:

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would like to give an astounding yes to this question.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Empire Strikes Back > New Hope > Revenge of the Sith > Return of the Jedi > Attack of the Clones > Phantom Menace. Only good ones are Empire and New Hope. Rest of them range from mediocre to bad

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@rongalaxy: Totally agree with ya there, it's weird that the franchise is so well revered when only 1/3 of the films are actually amazing.

It must be that it has the potential to be so much more than what the majority have been, hopefully JJ will tap into that.

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Love The Empire Strikes Back the most by far. It's the only one i can watch from start to finish and never get tired of it. The others not so much.

Looking forward to the new film, even though I can't say I've loved anything JJ Abrams has done...all the buzz, social media attention seeking, and fanboy wankery that goes along with everything these days is annoying as fuck.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I feel like the prequels have caused some people to retroactively hate on the originals. Not a majority but enough. It doesn't help that the originals have been fucked with so many times. The originals are classics for a reason. They're so creative with a lot of work put into them.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@wraxend said:

@rongalaxy: Totally agree with ya there, it's weird that the franchise is so well revered when only 1/3 of the films are actually amazing.

It must be that it has the potential to be so much more than what the majority have been, hopefully JJ will tap into that.

Well, if you think of it as two amazing movies followed by a solid ending that established a vast universe that inspired people creatively for about 22 years until the prequels came out then that's why people love them. It used to be two amazing movies, a good movie, and all the expanded universe stuff. That's where all the love came from. In reality it's more like 38 years of entertainment where only about 4 of those years were bad. There was still good Star Wars stuff coming out that weren't just the films.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Ezekiel
@sethphotopoulos said:

I feel like the prequels have caused some people to retroactively hate on the originals. Not a majority but enough. It doesn't help that the originals have been fucked with so many times. The originals are classics for a reason. They're so creative with a lot of work put into them.

I think some people try to downplay the originals because they're tired of all the complaining about the prequels. I used to wish the RedLetterMedia guy would review the originals, because they're flawed too. Then I actually watched his prequel reviews and realized how poor the prequels really are. I haven't seen them since I was a teenager, I think. I'm 27 now.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By RonGalaxy

I will say the trailer for the new one looks cool and I have faith JJ Abrams understands what makes a good star wars movie. Though, I would have really loved to see a David fincher star wars movie (empire strikes back is his favorite movie and he's an amazing director)

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever I see people say that Revenge of the Sith is the best Star Wars prequel, I wonder if they're forgetting that it's the one where Obi-Wan rides a giant feathered lizard.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Liked 'em all. Even the prequels. Star Wars is anime.

darthslughorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tthe Empire Strikes Back is one of my top movies of all time. All that EU stuff was pretty lame and I'm glad they canned it. The prequels are unwatchable; the people that think they are good either have not seen them recently or are hipsters ("Are you an angel?" Barf). Getting that series out of Lucas's hands was a good move for everyone.

PSA: There exist HD versions of the original trilogy on the Internet without the specia edition bullshit. They are called Star Wars Despecilaized by somebody named Harmy, and they are fucking fantastic. It is so awesome to have versions of those movies that aren't cringeworthy.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just watched my first Star Wars movie yesterday. Pretty good. The special effects were pretty good for 1977. The only ugly part was when Han was talking to Jabba. That part looked shitty.

I plan on knocking out the rest of the trilogy today. I only watch like 3 movies per year, so it must have been good for me to watch 3 in a couple days.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I just watched my first Star Wars movie yesterday. Pretty good. The special effects were pretty good for 1977. The only ugly part was when Han was talking to Jabba. That part looked shitty.

I plan on knocking out the rest of the trilogy today. I only watch like 3 movies per year, so it must have been good for me to watch 3 in a couple days.

If it helps, that part with Han talking to Jabba was added by George Lucas in 1997 when he added all kinds of digital effects, explaining its shittiness. That scene wasn't in the original movie at all.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Ezekiel

@apparatus_unearth said:

@thatonedudenick said:

If it helps, that part with Han talking to Jabba was added by George Lucas in 1997 when he added all kinds of digital effects, explaining its shittiness. That scene wasn't in the original movie at all.

The scene also didn't add anything meaningful to the story and spoiled Jabba's reveal in Return of the Jedi. Solo stepping on his tail is also pretty uncharacteristic, I think. It made Jabba appear less threatening. The Special Editions had a lot of distracting humor like that.

You might find this interesting, thatonedudenick. It's the original scene, which was still cut. Jabba was portrayed as a human. That's why Solo says in the Special Edition, "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being."

Loading Video...

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the aesthetic of the films but I've never really cared about the characters, Yoda and Obi Wan were cool, though Obi Wan is owed more to the guy giving the performance.
But besides that what made the movies to me was the sets and designs and effects and all of that, but not really what any of the characters were doing.
I got a little bit disappointed when I heard they were bringing some of the original cast back for the new movie, but maybe their roles will be more in the background as advisers and stuff.

I really love KOTOR though, both 1 and 2. They mixed the right level of the fun aesthetic stuff with characters I actually cared about.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My experience with Star Wars is strange in that I've got comparatively little respect for the core franchise, and far more so for the auxiliary stuff, particularly the earlier games. "Dark Forces 2", and "Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast" are some of my favourite games of all time. "Tie-Fighter" remains an incredible experience, and if you give me the opportunity, I will rant, at length, about KOTOR, and KOTOR 2 to a lesser extent. I also remember being unapologetically fond of the pod-racing game.

Far as the movies go, the only one I'm genuinely fond of is "The Empire Strikes Back". That is just hands-down a fantastic movie in every respect. The darker vibe compared to the first goes a long way to flesh out the universe and the threat of the Empire, which seemed tenuous at best in "A New Hope". Yoda is a great character and provides a much needed sense of mystery to a series that was all about god damn space-magic, and there is an abundance of Han Solo and Chewie. That's right, there's all the Han Solo and Chewie you could ask for.

The third film had real potential, but the segments on Endor drags it down in a way that's become so typical for Lucas in the years since. And let's just.. Pretend the prequels didn't happen. I really like the general idea those movies were going for, show-casing the glory days of the republic and it's fall, personalized through a parallel to Anakin himself, but there is nothing redeeming about the writing or any details of the plot. Though the clone army was a cool idea, and I really liked that fight between Jango Fett and Obi-Wan.

And yet, somehow I find myself weirdly excited about a new Star Wars movie. The reasons for which are pretty simple, they're using iconography from KOTOR first and foremost. That is THE source to draw inspiration from, period. Secondly, Han Solo and Chewbacca, Han Solo and Chewbacca. HAN SOLO and CHEWBACCA. And thirdly, a woman as the lead, with the second major lead being a black man. Apparently, the only place for equality in major blockbusters is a galaxy far, far away.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatonedudenick said:

Ah. Good to know.

Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original films are classics, obviously. I don't have any particular interest beyond those and having seen all three a few times now I have no real desire to watch them again. The new film will probably be decent, but at the end of the day its just a film. Best case scenario is you get 2-3 hours of escapist fun.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By flameboy84

Is Star Wars Rebels worth investing some in between now and December? Just finishing up Agent Carter and Daredevil this week so could do with a new show to watch!

Also to answer the question, the prequels dampened my desire for new Star Wars somewhat but I still love the franchise and the new trailer feels like a return to form and what people expect from a Star Wars movie.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny--my love for Star Wars went from being one of the biggest things in my life to being just sort of another thing I kind of enjoyed over the years, but then I went back to the OT a few years ago after grabbing the Despecialized editions of each one, and holy shit I love those movies.

Oddly enough, my favorite one growing up was ROTJ, probably because I liked the whole rescue of Han Solo part (insert your own comment about Leia in a bikini here) and also the lightsaber fight on the Death Star II is fucking killer. Also come on, y'all know you love the Ewoks. YOU KNOW IT, AND YOU CAN'T DENY IT.

Like most people, my favorite these days is probably Empire Strikes Back, because it also has a badass lightsaber fight, takes a generally darker tone, and also lots of Han and Chewie trying to fix their shitty ship (god damn that asteroid sequence is so good! It's so good!), which is basically all I need in life. And Boba Fett being competent, rather than jobbing to a blind Han Solo (I love that he jobs to a blind Han Solo in ROTJ though, for real). Man I love these goddamn movies. I need to watch them again.

There were parts of the prequels I liked, but mostly I thought they sucked and were largely responsible for my paying way more attention to the Lord of the Rings movies and kind of moving away from the whole franchise for a while. I heard real good things about Rebels, but I haven't really had the time to check it out (I might see about grabbing that later today now that I'm thinking about it), and I thought both Clone Wars series were okay (although the Tartovsky one is the superior one, for sure), but I never got excited in the same way I got excited back when the special edition Trilogy released in theaters (GOD I was so fucking hyped for those, and loved seeing them, but they don't hold up in the way the original cut does). I'm still pretty cynical about the odds of this new trilogy being good (I really don't like a lot of what JJ Abrams does (Star Trek Into Darkness was really awful), although he has his moments), but man if I said I didn't get super excited about that new trailer and let out an audible noise when Han and Chewie showed up, well, I would be a liar.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@flameboy84: I've enjoyed it a good amount. I won't call it amazing or anything but it's worth a watch if you're at all interested in the premise.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

When I was in highschool I left school early to go see Episode 3 on opening day.... Fully dressed in a Darth Vader outfit complete with lightsaber (and not one of those cheap-ass party store lightsabers either, a good solid one!). Now I may regret that level of extravagance now, and I am just a tad embarrassed about having gone to a couple classes dressed as Darth Vader, But shit man: I Love StarWars.

I probably love it less than when I was younger, but the original trilogy still has a big place in my heart. Please don't be dogshit Battlefront 3!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Funkydupe

I think using more physical sets in combination with CGI is a step in the right direction for these movies.

DeiNile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, I always thought that the movies were real boring. I am too young to have experienced the prequels when they were first released, but the entire universe seems stale to me at this point. KOTOR was ok from what I can remember of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the universe more than the movies. Don't get me wrong, I think the movies are a lot of fun. But the universe? Way cool.

Knights of the Old Republic is what got me into Star Wars.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#181  Edited By timeshero

With all the excitement surrounding this past weekend, I finally marathoned all 6 movies for the first time in years. Previously, I had only seen 4, 5, and 6 as a kid in the 90's, 1 in theatres, and the important bits and pieces of 2 and 3 in small chunks online. I remembered vaguely what happened in the movies, but decided that watching them in canonical order seemed kind of boring, as did release order.

I wanted to make sure that I could start and end the series on a good note, so I decided to put myself in the mindset of someone coming to star wars for the very first time. I started with 4, the very first movie which set the characters and the universe up quite nicely. Then I went to 5, which ends with the famous "Luke I am your father" moment. Someone new to the series, who may have no idea about that might think "What?!?! How is that possible???" In order to "find out", I jumped to episode 1, 2, and 3. People give the prequel trilogy a lot of shit. Some of it deserved, but overall, I really enjoyed them. They set up what I had already known from 4 and 5 quite well, from Obi-wan to Palpatine, Luke's aunt and uncle and who adopted Leia. After that, I wrapped up the whole series nicely with episode 6.

After watching them in this order (4: A New Hope, 5: The Empire Strikes Back, 1: The Phantom Menace, 2: Attack of the Clones, 3: Revenge of the Site, 6: Return of the Jedi) I can definitively say that Star Wars is fucking great. I love it.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't come to Star Wars as a kid and can't appreciate it's historical value, then yeah, I guess I could see thinking it's just bad? It's really hard for me to divorce my love for Star Wars from my childhood, but boy do I like a lot of stuff about Episode IV. I know that Empire is supposed to be the better film or whatever, but I dunno, A New Hope is a way better movie than Empire is a film.

Stripped out of all it's grand context, they're really weird, neat movies. Since Star Wars we've seen a lot of things like it; media that is essentially a Frankenstein made up from other weird things. Tarantino has made a career of off that sort of thing. Spielberg did it too when he made the Indiana Jones movies, making a massive sendup of adventure serials and pulp. Even more recent stuff like Afro Samurai mixes hip hop with kung fu and robots, etc. Star Wars is a super fucking weird science fiction fantasy film that borrows heavily from Kurosawa, westerns, and war movies, all set pretty strictly to the twelve (or so?) bullet points of Campbell's monomyth.

It's a oddball pet project that managed to capture the whole world, and still is a pop culture behemoth nearly 40 years after the release of the original film.

The opinion that V is the best and that I-III are burning garbage is kind of insane. IV and V are good movies (I'm way partial to V), VI is probably as good as III, which is a little bit better than II, which is a little bit better than I.

I would advise you check out Harmy's despecialized editions, which made me really, really really appreciate the original trilogy in a way I hadn't before. If nothing else, just check out this sort YouTube video where he talks about the restoration, it is very neat.

I hope I don't sound like some wild defender of Star Wars, I'm actually a lot more partial to Indiana Jones. I sure like Star Wars a bunch though.

Coleslaw893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#184  Edited By Coleslaw893

Star Wars basically was my childhood. I still remember that day in Sam's Club, my parents saw the original trilogy on VHS, said they knew I would like it, and boy were they right. I loved it. I was obsessed with Star Wars. I read a number of the books, got really into collecting the action figures, and played as many of the games I could find. When the prequels were coming out I was still at the height of my obsession, and I enjoyed all of them immensely at first (I was just a kid). I even bought an XBOX initially just to play Knights of The Old Republic (Which coincidentally ended up being the game that really got me into gaming. Still my favorite.). Over the years I became less fond of the prequels, though I still argue they have redeemable quality's and are acceptable, decent even, movies. Still love the original trilogy a ton and they remain my favorite movies to this day.

So yeah, I'm really excited about Episode VII. I love the Star Wars universe and I'm really happy that its coming back in a big way.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no! Don't watch that version! Well, go ahead and watch it, but those were the "remastered" editions where Lucas went back and added a ton of CG stuff to the original films. Some of the additions were all right, but some of them, like the dancing/singing number in Return of the Jedi? Or Jabba in A New Hope? Entirely pointless.

I'd try to get a hold of the Harmy's Despecialized Edition of the original trilogy. They took multiple sources and painstakingly undid the nutty over the top CG stuff Lucas added while retaining the higher fidelity footage.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Here's $5. Go see a Star War."

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Hell to the yes! Star Wars, since I could even remember, has been my favourite property and series. The films, comics, games, tv shows, EVERYTHING. Such an engrossing universe and I think I legitimately teared up from excitement watching the Force Awakens trailer this past weekend.