Do you support Target (and some other retailers) to open doors on Thanksgiving night?

• 61 results
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Poll would be better if it was just Yes or No, pretty loaded as is

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By habster3

Absolutely not. Then again, I hate big retailers, so maybe I'm just biased

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Fredchuckdave said:

Poll would be better if it was just Yes or No, pretty loaded as is

Like I said above, those are not my opinions, but rather the popular stances in this recent revolt. I put them there as examples, you don't have to swear by my words if you vote yes or no.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By dichemstys

Whoever wants to do that...whatever. There's worse shit you could do on Thanksgiving.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By iam3green

i think it's stupid to be open. a holiday is for family to come together.

i work retail, the place is closing at 1:30pm. i'm assuming it's opening again at 6am the next morning. it's a place that's open 24/7.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@EpicSteve said:

I have a lack of respect for anyone that complains about their job so long as they're treated with dignity and equality especially for someone working at Target in which I suspect is an easy job.

It's a customer service job, aka not easy. Not sarcastic either, more customers than you think are A holes.

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By icytower38

I'd bet most of the people saying that they don't care live outside the US or have not had to work retail.

My sister just got a non retail job for the first time and has to work Christmas Day, but having been given the choice she does not mind it seeing as her other retail job forces her to come in at 9 PM on Thanksgiving to get ready for there Midnight opening. I've worked at 5 AM the day after, been at a company that is closed & 1 year at Target were I worked for someone who didn't want to (yes all retail) and honestly did not mind any of it.

My issue with stores opening Thanksgiving day is more of an issue that were does it stop? How long before everyone's open all day or no store closes early Christmas Eve or is simply open Christmas Day? Yeah there are other places open but I would venture to say with good certainty that there are options for the employes. Where there are very few choices for retail employes when it comes to holidays, every place I've worked has even blocked out Thanksgiving-New Years for time off requests unless you get very lucky.

If you're company can run with only the people working that don't mined it, then stay open. But if you are a company that needs 50% of your staff to work for your special sales and then sends those people home halfway through the day because no one is shopping and you need to save on salary expenses then you do not need to be open that much earlier then your competitors.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By chrissedoff

If the employees who work that night are choosing to do so and getting overtime pay for working on a holiday, then I don't care. If they're not, then I pick option B. I chose E, by the way.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Gonmog

Lots of "me" posts here...this is not about you. This is about the workers that are FORCE to work on a day that is looked at as a big family gathering day. You think they have a choice? First...in retail there is no option. You have to work days like black Friday and what not. And second not everyone is going to be smart and end up with high paying jobs. Do they not deserve time off to spend with there fams as well?

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By Zekhariah

I am a bit put out by the need to compress sales into the end of the year, although it seems like the method of cycling prices around does lead to a lower price if you are patient. But the companies that do this can run the sales whenever they want to.

This is not something that has impacted me in terms of work life, but I recall doing holidays a few days early in middle / elementary school due to the shift my dad tended to work. And it did not seem like a huge issue, or to take away from it, so it can work out if you are not committed to going to a inflexible large gathering. Hopefully the employees that have an issue with it are able to opt out of working the holiday so they can be wherever they need to.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

If people want to work those shift let them. If others get forced into it then that is unfortunate.