Dungeons and Dragons, a heated topic among gamers.

TimeFugitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By TimeFugitive

I'm gonna say right from the beginning that I am pretty new to tabletop gaming.  I started around the new year and wanted to try new gaming options (i.e. Magic, D and D), and ended up really enjoying it.  A couple friends and I have a weekly game night.  Unfortunately when we play it's like we are freaks among our friends.  Wwe have many friends/family that won't even think of touching the game.  I even tell them that many video games owe a lot of game mechanics, bestiary, story to the game...but they are headstrong that it is awful.  
Have any of you experienced this in your life?  Have you been able to convert anyone?  I think I could get a lot more of my friends interested if they gave it a shot...

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

DONT PLAY 4TH EDITION!
DONT PLAY 4TH EDITION!
DONT PLAY 4TH EDITION!
DONT PLAY 4TH EDITION!
DONT PLAY 4TH EDITION!   

EDIT:  Start with 3.5 or maybe 2nd if you can find it.  DONT PLAY 4TH!

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By thatfrood

I know what you mean. I have experienced the same.
But I mean, come on, if I'm honest with myself, it is pretty much one of the nerdiest possible things you can ever do ever. While gaming has now entered very much into the mainstream, a game that bros can play, dnd was, is, and always will be something that is very much for nerds. You roleplay as warriors and wizards and make pretend around a table, for chrissakes.

TimeFugitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TimeFugitive
@KaosAngel: It's funny, we started with 4th edition but after two months, the DM requested we go to 3.5 so we have freedoms with character creation and attacks.  3.5 is a lot more fun.  Haven't heard much about 2nd Ed
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By fwylo

I played once with a friend when I was like 8 years old and never touched it again.  I just never found the fun in comparing numbers and such when I could be doing it in a video game and things like dice rolls would be automatically and instantly done.  I've never understood why some people look down on it so much.  People are scared to explore their imaginations when they aren't staring blankly at a movie screen.

TimeFugitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TimeFugitive
@ThatFrood: I see what you mean and I agree.  My main problem is the hypocrisy that comes along with most gamers saying it's lame.  You're doing the same stuff in video games....I can admit that's it's all nerdy and all fun. Oh....and I'm lame
Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Crocio
@KaosAngel said:

" DONT PLAY 4TH EDITION! DONT PLAY 4TH EDITION! DONT PLAY 4TH EDITION! DONT PLAY 4TH EDITION! DONT PLAY 4TH EDITION!     EDIT:  Start with 3.5 or maybe 2nd if you can find it.  DONT PLAY 4TH! "

Quoted for emphasis, I prefer 3.5, but 4.0 just emulates card games or video-game styled combat; it defeats the whole purpose of having tabletop games, which is a free and open world.
Additionally, make sure you have a committed group before investing anything.
EDIT: Oh shoot, you responded quickly
Avatar image for whiskeyicarus89
WhiskeyIcarus89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WhiskeyIcarus89

I've had similar problems. Usually my mates that play DnD/Magic etc. with me try to keep it a well kept secret, especially from our female friends (they just don't understand!) but sooner or later the cat gets let out of the bag. I haven't been able to convert anyone but I have been able to set a few misguided people straight about exactly what's involved in the hobby. Many of them thought we dressed up in robes and used funny voices etc. and while some people do do that (and that's totally cool!) they seemed more accepting of it when I explained it as an interactive story that we move through as characters of our own design. Maybe lay down a challenge to your friends to try it before they dismiss it. Order some pizzas, get some pre-built characters and run them through an intro campaign with at least one experienced player to guide them along. I think they'll probably enjoy it more than they would be willing to admit 

TimeFugitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TimeFugitive
@Crocio: Sorry I'm lighting quick...just killing time at the end of the workday.  I have a very small party, 4 total plus DM, and I really enjoy it.  Although I wish we had more to make it less frantic at times...but that's also the fun of it.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Pazy

In concept I really like Table Top gaming but ive never really played it. I dont know anyone who plays D&D and even when I found a club I realised I wasn't too thrilled about going to meet new people and ask if I can join in a game that ive never played. I wish I could play D&D it looks really fun and I love the idea of the GM being able to bounce of our ideas rather than the wall that comes in games to say the designers hadn't thought of that.

TimeFugitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TimeFugitive
@JeffTheBadger: I think that's actually a great idea! Challenge my friends and lure them with promise of food and drink....than boom their hooked.  I will have to guide this like a proper drug dealer, but I think that could really work.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ryax
@Res3t said:
" @JeffTheBadger: I think that's actually a great idea! Challenge my friends and lure them with promise of food and drink....than boom their hooked.  I will have to guide this like a proper drug dealer, but I think that could really work. "
i wouldnt hold my breath if i were you. when some one is usually against it they are pretty against it. ive known people that played it and when they explained it to me i became immediately un interested
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Never played it myself, though I hear Vin Diesel himself is a very hardcore DnD player. I'm not prejudiced towards the game but I do understand where most people are coming from. I mean come on let's be honest here, it is pretty much the single nerdiest pastime on the planet and it has a pretty bad image problem.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NathHaw

I used to play Magic and D&D as well as some other tabletop games.  Never really had anybody resist playing it if I asked him to.  Maybe it was the circle of friends I had.

aerobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By aerobie

Gah, everyone always bitches about 4th edition. After playing 3.5 for years, we switched to 4th (my friend (and DM) really just likes buying new stuff) and so far I have no complaints. In fact, 4th edition is probably easier for new players.

D&D is always the best when it's just a bunch of friend sitting around rolling dice and making up shit. Every  now and then we try to invite someone else, but we never play often enough to keeps things going.

demigonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By demigonis

3.5 and 4th Edition are both good games. They're different. People who like one tend to trash-talk the other into oblivion.

I play both game systems (and many non-D&D systems) because they're both well put together and each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Lets not let this thread devolve into a goofy my-edition-is-better fight.

Play them and see which ones you prefer for yourself.

As for converting someone, really the only way is if they're willing to try it. People can have really good or really bad experiences with pen and paper role-playing because ultimately it all comes down to the game master and the players. It's all about if everyone wants to have a good time and use their imaginations and play together to make their own unique fun. If they're willing to give it a shot, go for it.  If you need some sort of bargaining chip or something, perhaps you could agree to experience something they are into in exchange for being open-minded and trying a role-playing game with you.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By unclejohnny79

never tried it and dont know anyone that plays i wouldnt mind trying it out

aerobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By aerobie

For D&D, it would probably be a good idea to have any new players give a description of what they want their character to be like to you or an experienced player, and then make it for them.
Character creation can be long and confusing, but it's also no fun to be stuck with a pre-made character that doesn't fit your style.

People might be scared off because they think the games are super serious, so it might also help to convince them that it can be pretty laid back. And teaching players with a sample game is always more interesting and effective than having them read a rulebook.

Plus bribes. Pizza and drinks for people that play!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King

Can somebody explain why the 4th edition is so bad? I haven't played any of them, so I can't tell how it's bad. Also, if it helps, I play JRPGs. Please give me a 10 second head start before you chase me with pitchforks.

Singeslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Singeslayer

I used to play Warhammer: Role Playing and that went over well, but I think the system is MUCH more brutal than DnD. (Not saying that is better per se, but putting it out there.)

Never tried DnD, but my experience with WRP has shown me that you need a dedicated group in order to keep it going. There is certainly a stigma that comes with it. (Some people still think it is devil worship.) Sadly, that keeps people from experiencing something that is very worthwhile if you're willing to invest the time. As far as keeping it secret from the females, that's smart, but any so called female should just accept that you play it as a hobby and be cool with it. (That way, you're girlfriend/wife knows you're not cheating on her when you go out; it does not give enough experience and does not drop longswords +1 ;] )

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By Astras

If anyone cares Warner bros have just purchased Turbine who make D+D online

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KaosAngel

I thought it was Wizards...

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryoma122

well im not aloud to join any groups i no 
i seem to have away of up seting people for example one group i played with  the gm told me 
before som thin was gona happen and they wanted me in on it for some reason i cant remember 
but basicly they said a large snake comes crashing through the roof of the hall well i decided to 
through a real snake onto the table and iv been banned ever since

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By AlKusanagi

I completely disagree with the "Don't play 4th" posts. 4th has FAR more character creation options than 3rd, especially when it comes to melee classes. The only point to 3.5 seems to be finding new ways to break it and munchkin the hell out of characters.