Elliott Smith's Mural To Be Mutilated for New Bar/Restaurant

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hey guys,

Elliott Smith is one of my favorite artists. He tragically died in 2003 and the mural featured on the cover of his 2000 album "Figure 8" has been a place for his fans to gather and pay tribute to his memory for over a decade. Unfortunately, it looks like it might be cut into and partially destroyed for a new bar/restaurant. Here are links to the article and the petition I created. His music means a lot to me. If you could sign know that I appreciate it so much. Thank you.

No Caption Provided

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Elliott Smith was the best, listen to him all time at work.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

The new spot is called Bar Angeles, named for Either/Or’s “Angeles,” and the owners have indicated that they wish to maintain the legacy of the iconic Figure 8 mural. To complete construction of the front window, however, they must remove a portion of the mural, Eater LA reports. The mural piece will be brought inside and placed on a wall for patrons to view.

Honestly, that's more than most owners of private property would do. I wonder why they feel that much of a need for the window, though. It's hard to judge without knowing the details. I will say that there's a good chance that the bar will fail, and the new owners won't care about some mural dedicated to some depressing musician that they've never heard of. That alone makes this a bad idea.

I've been thinking about Elliott Smith's music again lately, due to Jessica Lea Mayfield's covers album.

Loading Video...

For those unfamiliar with the artist in question, here is the original:

Loading Video...