overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By overbyte
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10851394     

"In a letter sent to Wikipedia's San Francisco office, the FBI said that "unauthorised reproduction of the FBI Seal was prohibited by US law" 

More specifically, they don't want this posted where someone can grab off and make, say fake IDs with it.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US-FBI-Seal.svg     

This led me to thinking: if GB's database gets really large enough, and some lawyer at a big game publisher got bored at their day job...
eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By eliminator

I am undercover.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

Pretty sure you can just get the same image off from the internet, except maybe in JPEG than PNG, but its all the same difficulty for professionals.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By davidwitten22

The logo is on the official FBI website. A google search of FBI seal brings up 228,000 results. Waste of time and energy.

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By andrela

Well played FBI, you catch those wiki criminals

overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By overbyte
@EliminatoR said:
" I am undercover. "
Haha, first thing that popped into my head when I read that was this priceless quote from IRC: 
http://bash.org/?88575
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By takua108

What the hell? US government logos and such are supposed to be public domain. I remember this, because a few years ago I attended a summer class thing at DigiPen, where I made a vectory arcade-looking game, and it had the "WINNERS DON'T USE DRUGS" logo on it, just for fun. 

It's not like anyone is mistaking Wikipedia for the FBI or something... just another example of our government at work :P  

EDIT: OSHI-! Giant Bomb is hosting an FBI logo...!

Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Six
@takua108 said:
"   It's not like anyone is mistaking Wikipedia for the FBI or something... just another example of our government at work :P  "
That is a cover-up.  Wikipedia IS FBI, 'they' just don't want you to know.
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Dont fuck with the FBI.I would delete it immediatly. 

THEY ARE THOUGH MOTHAFUCKAS WITH SUNGLASSES
PATERSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By PATERSON
@overbyte: 
That made me giggle :)
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By takua108

Also, while you guys are here, reading this, the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" concept page could use a bit of work in the games department.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

Isn't this fair use or something? I'm not sure you can blame Wikipedia for what others are doing. (As I said, I'm not sure.)

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By RoyCampbell

These days, it's all about bitching. Be it a completely rational and understandable complaint, to downright ridiculous and unneeded such as the FBI taking issue with its logo on Wikipedia.

Whoa, is that poor person talking to me? Bitch. Hey, that person has a car that is two years younger than mine. Bitch. Why did you place your foot in my lawn for two seconds, only to step back onto the sidewalk? Bitch. 10 years ago, video games were around $40 to $50; now they're 60! Waaaa. BITCH.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@overbyte said:
"This led me to thinking: if GB's database gets really large enough, and some lawyer at a big game publisher got bored at their day job... "
Something similar has already happened to GB. Back in 2008 Formula 1 requested that Giant Bomb remove the F1 logo's from the site, and as a result, the F1 franchise page has no F1 logo.
overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By overbyte
@Video_Game_King said:

" Isn't this fair use or something? I'm not sure you can blame Wikipedia for what others are doing. (As I said, I'm not sure.) "

I think "Fair Use" doesn't account for a "fully-resizable vector logo where you can make pixel-perfect copies of it at any size". I'm guessing that's the same reason why most of the music wiki entries have small low-quality album art (just enough for representation) instead of the ones you can extract off iTunes songs or download from Amazon.
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By davidwitten22
@MattyFTM said:
" @overbyte said:
"This led me to thinking: if GB's database gets really large enough, and some lawyer at a big game publisher got bored at their day job... "
Something similar has already happened to GB. Back in 2008 Formula 1 requested that Giant Bomb remove the F1 logo's from the site, and as a result, the F1 franchise page has no F1 logo. "
The question I think we all have is "Why?"
amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By amoremono1

This is way more disturbing to me:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/638/5/Motorcycle-Blog-Post/Arrested-for-Motorcycle-Traffic-Violation-Video.aspx

How in the fuck are people suppposed to protect themselves from overzealous supertroopers with laws to prevent the public sharing of images of police nonsense?  Granted, the biker is a douche too, and was being out of line, but the charges are outrageous!