FDA to BAN all caffeinated alcohol drinks!

• 84 results
skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By skinnyman
Source.

Is this just more of the government over-regulating everything? Or do you think there is a legitimate problem with these drinks?

Seems like the type of drink gamers might enjoy... does anyone drink these on a regular basis? I personally don't, but I am known to drink a jack and coke on occasion, so I don't see the big difference here.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Isnt that what they call " Black out in a can?" I heard about that stuff. 

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jack268

Caffeine... and alcohol? in one drink? fucking blasphemy

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Berezov

Get some whiskey, pour some coffee beans in. Job done.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mesoian

No Caption Provided
The only reason why I MIGHT care is if this effects malt beverages because they are the only things my ladyfriends will drink. 

But seriously, man up and macguiver it. Redbull and Vodkas all around.
GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By GS_Dan

Caffeine and alcohol= bad idea.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By benjaebe

While I wouldn't say that they're looking at the real issue (which is how America in general treats drinking), I can't say I don't think they should be banned. Since it's caffeine and alcohol, you end up drinking way more before you feel the effects and it can get downright dangerous. I've known a few people who got really sick, and there have been students that didn't even realize they were drunk until they practically had alcohol poisoning.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oatz

I don't live in the US, but I stocked up on Four Loko a long time ago. That shit is fucking crazily crazy. Don't do it, kids.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By VWGTI

People were dying and going to the hospital because of those drinks. I think the ban is necessary. Caffine and alcohol is extremely bad for you.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By benpack

I tried a FourLoko once, tasted like someone took the worst beer you can think of and poured it in the worst energy drink you can think of. Although my friend did have 2 one night and he was the most drunk I've ever seen him in his life. Anyway, adults are adults, let them drink whatever the fuck they want.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Caffeine and alcohol don't mix well. Usually when you're drinking you get to a point where the alcohol makes you lose control over your body and you fall over, and thus are unable to drink anymore. However a stimulant like caffeine counteracts some of the effects of the alcohol, so you don't lose control over your body. And you keep drinking and drinking, until eventually you do fall over - you fall over dead.

But despite that, I don't think regulating it really helps, since the most common way to consume energy drinks with alcohol is to purchase vodka and red bull, then mix them together, and this isn't going to stop anyone from doing that.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

It would seem to me that jack and coke is fine but it should lean more towards the super omega energy drinks that contain like 5x the caffine that soda's or coffees do.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cnlmullen

All this regulation makes me sick. 

It's not the governments job to keep people from making bad decisions.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WalkerTR77

I wouldn't mind seeing some actual scientific evidence pertaining to the health consequences of those drinks. Don't ban things because you assume they're dangerous.

seitanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By seitanic

I think they should be banned because they taste like colt 45 and monkey piss.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jace

Yeah, who the fuck cares about rights anymore? It astounds me that alcohol/caffeine combo drinks get the ban hammer, but cigarettes are still fine.

I'm glad the ol' FDA is looking out for us. This probably has nothing to do with the fact that they couldn't figure out a way to sin tax it, like they do with cigarettes. Nah, nothing like that. They're just looking out for us. Yup.

Come back Carlin.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Brendan
@cnlmullen said:
"All this regulation makes me sick.  It's not the governments job to keep people from making bad decisions. "

Well...that's supposed to be part of the gov'ts job.  Regulation, incentives, suggestions, it's kind of what makes the gov't the gov't.  Law making and enforcing's more passive aggressive cousin. 
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Jace:  I've never heard of cigarettes making anyone black out.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skinnyman: I don't know whether banning is the answer, but there is certainly a problem with caffeinated alcohol. 
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jace said:
" Yeah, who the fuck cares about rights anymore? It astounds me that alcohol/caffeine combo drinks get the ban hammer, but cigarettes are still fine.  I'm glad the ol' FDA is looking out for us. This probably has nothing to do with the fact that they couldn't figure out a way to sin tax it, like they do with cigarettes. Nah, nothing like that. They're just looking out for us. Yup.  Come back Carlin. "
Fuckin A right here.

@FancySoapsMan said:
" @Jace:  I've never heard of cigarettes making anyone black out. "

I believe he was referring to the fact that cigarettes cause cancer and yet they remain unregulated.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By foggel

For what it's worth, I think it's already illegal in Norway. That said there's a lot of government regulations in Norway.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By BrittonPeele

If you really care about mixing alcohol and caffeine, you can mix Red Bull and Vodka like the good 'ole days.

But it really can be dangerous for most people, so do so at your own discretion.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Everyones_A_Critic:  What I mean is that cigarettes won't cause quite as much damage as having people pass out after two drinks. It's not really a good comparison.
Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mixing of alcohol and stimulants is well-established fast track to moodiness and such.

I was that soldier.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Demyx

Its pretty dumb

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Bones8677

I've not heard of caffeinated alcohol. Me being Conservative means that I don't approve of government banning stuff all that much but in this case...yeah this might be a good idea.

Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dejkrigeren

I don't rembember getting fucked up on Redbull mixed with vodka. Good times.  

Seriously though hyperactive drunks are dangerous.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pinworm45

Dear Government; 

Is it alright if I go take a piss? 

Thanks for your permission.

RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RaceKickfist

it's about noon. time for an irish coffee! 

i put whip cream on it. because i'm fancy.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#30  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I believe there may be a serious threat posed by these drinks but the thing that worried me was that throughout that article I saw no scientific evidence that these drinks have any serious directly negative effects on human health. As has been posted above though, even if they do, banning something like these drinks but allowing everyone to freely consume cigarettes is a ludicrous proposition. Of course, alcoholic caffeine drinks don't make them any money, whereas cigarettes very much do.

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Irish coffee is racist.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

No not my Sparks Black!! That shit got you wasted and hyped up. What harm could ever come from that?

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thegoldencat7

They were talking about banning a pretty infamous drink in Scotland called Buckfast, a tonic wine with high caffiene content. Its relative cheapness has made it popular with adolescents and tramps. Supposedly it makes people go a bit mad, which seems unlikely but its ended up being associated with violent crime. The whole things pretty embarassing.
wubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wubb

I think the real problem here is some kids have no experience with alcohol until they are suddenly chugging whatever they can get their hands on at a party.  Almost 24 ounces of 12% ABV is a serious drink.  

Whatever, you can just mix your own caffeine + alcohol drink if that is your thing.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By confideration

This is fucking dumb.  

Also I feel really bad for the lady in Beer Wars  http://beerwarsmovie.com/ 

Lots of things are a 'bad idea'. For some... drinking is a 'bad idea'. I drink Rockstar/Vodka and RedBull/Vodka all the time but I am an adult and I handle my shit.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

I'm definitely against this regulation, but then again, it's not a difficult process to drop a shot of jäger into a glass of redbull, so I don't really care.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jinxman
@Pinworm45 said:
" Dear Government;  Is it alright if I go take a piss?  Thanks for your permission. "
this
Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mrskidders

Might stop the the fucking idiots that drink them in their tracks and make them enjoy a decent beer or a fine whisky.  These new fad drinks are fucking dumb and so are the people that drink them.  Oh man, lets get fucking blasted on 4lokos, I mean really, what the fuck.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cookiemonster

I suppose its for the best. I don't know about the US, but alcoholism is becoming a major problem in the uk. Banning drinks like this may help to reduce the problem because these drinks 'supposedly' reduce the effects of drunkenness, so people drink more and consequently fuck their body up some more. 

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ImpendingFoil

When the hell did we become so pathetic we all need others to always tell us what to do.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
@Mrskidders said:
" Might stop the the fucking idiots that drink them in their tracks and make them enjoy a decent beer or a fine whisky.  These new fad drinks are fucking dumb and so are the people that drink them.  Oh man, lets get fucking blasted on 4lokos, I mean really, what the fuck. "
No it won't. 
Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zithe
@Brendan said:
" @cnlmullen said:
"All this regulation makes me sick.  It's not the governments job to keep people from making bad decisions. "
Well...that's supposed to be part of the gov'ts job.  Regulation, incentives, suggestions, it's kind of what makes the gov't the gov't. "
Congratulations! You just discovered the difference between Republicans and Democrats.
Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jace
@Everyones_A_Critic: 

Yeah, and in a country where you can smoke yourself in to a coma and keep smoking when you wake up, and waste medical resources, this ban on caffeine/alcohol drinks doesn't make any sense. Not from the point of view that the FDA wants you to see. From a profit and power standpoint, it all makes sense. So far, cigarettes are the only thing they can away with letting be legal. That is simply because as of now, we don't have a large amount of evidence to support the idea that smoking causes harm to others around it (on a large scale), and the people who smoke have heard it all, and they don't give a fuck. At any rate, so much for freedom. But hey, that went out the window a long time ago.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By zombie2011

Damn, i normally start my night with a can of 4 loko, before heading to the bars.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By crusader8463

This in response to that kid that killed himself because he ODed on caffeine? I remember reading in some news headlines a week or so ago about some kid that drank so much of something that it was equal to like 60 cups of coffee and it killed him.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ragdrazi

Caffeinated alcohol drinks have been the secret to my success with my bands. When they started to ban them in my state, I just switched to rockstar and vodka. We call it "The Hard Rock."

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

#47  Edited By MikeinSC

Over regulation. If it is dangerous, the market will kill it far faster than the government can.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ragdrazi
@MikeinSC said:

" Over regulation. If it is dangerous, the market will kill it far faster than the government can. "

Well, that's by no means true. But the main problem here is that liberals are beginning to turn into what in American politics is known as populists. Breaking it down now.

Regulate:         Business  |  Personal Behavior
Liberals                   X 
Conservatives                                     X
Libertarians
Populists                 X                           X   

Liberals are supposed to support policies that curtail the negative actives of business, but, outside of some very broad regulations (ex. don't kill nobody) leave personal behavior alone. Increasingly, however, their regulation of business has led them to champion and encourage certain personal behaviors (ex. recycling). And this is, increasingly, flowing into regulating personal behavior. A lot of it centers around the environment (ex. a sales tax on plastic bags at grocery stories), but it also centers around personal behavior that they believe supports negative businesses. Good examples of that include not only this 4 Loco business, but liberals support for regulating video games as well. In all of these cases liberals really should know better.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mfpantst

meh

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bombHills
@cnlmullen said:
" All this regulation makes me sick.  It's not the governments job to keep people from making bad decisions. "
I agree 100%. I hate these type of drinks but it none of my business if people want them.