Finding the best place to live for internet

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I live in England and I'm looking to move soon. Is there a good way of finding out which areas have the best internet? All the tools I'm seeing are for finding out which is the best internet available in a specific area, but I want to know the opposite - which areas have the best internet. I work from home and don't really care where I live, but good internet is a priority for me, so I want to move to wherever I can get the fastest speeds.

pudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 pudking  Online

Broadband in Beijing is meant to be pretty fast

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shindig  Online

Sounds like a pretty stupid (or highly suspicious) reason for moving, to be honest. Probably South Korea.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe my opening sentence was ambiguous. I'm looking to move house, not country.

Even if I was willing and able to move anywhere in the world, the question wasn't "Where has the best internet?", it was "How do I find out where has the best internet?"

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There could be articles about which areas are best but the UK is so spotty, the only way to know for sure is to enter the postcode of a prospective property into a fiber broadband search.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This feels like the kind of thing Reddit was made for, but it's surprisingly hard to find (speaking for the US). One thing I'm very well informed on is how bad the internet seems to be EVERYWHERE.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shindig  Online

I don't quite know if you can pinpoint a place in the UK for this. It can genuinely be a postcode lottery. I remember living right out in the sticks and getting good speeds whilst my parents, closer to civilisation, struggled to get anything out of their internet.

And there's the reliability of your ISP. I've been mostly fine with Sky over the years but I hear Virgin are a little spotty.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I watch an IRL streamer who travels the world and relies on good internet to stream. One of the places that had surprisingly great internet was Vietnam. Even more surprising is how well built up that country is now. It's not the Vietnam of the 60s that you hear so much about because of the war back then.

But if you're talking about the US, then any state that carries Verizon Fios is where you want to be. The fiber optic based internet is not perfect, but its the best you're going to get in terms of consistency and reliable speed which you can max out to be pretty fast if you have the money for it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Liechtenstein has the fastest internet in the world.

1. Liechtenstein
  2. Macau
  3. Iceland
  4. Andorra
  5. Luxembourg
  6. Taiwan
  7. France
  8. Netherlands
  9. Slovakia
  10. USA

So, like would you want to live these places long term just for Inteernet speed...they are all beautiful and have cool stuff with mature economies. But at the end of the day I think you should just pick one of the faster places in your own country.

The cons of living in Liechtenstein include a high cost of living, the small size of the country, and the limited job opportunities. Additionally, the country is not part of the European Union, so you are no better off than in England.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you should just pick one of the faster places in your own country.

Good idea! Is there a good way of finding out which areas have the best internet?

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was moving last, I did what others suggested and searched for the available Fiber options and then posted on those cities subreddits to see how people's internet has been using that carrier. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a singular site/place that's built to help determine what Internet provider to use. Especially in another country. So posting within the relevant subreddit might be your best bet. Not sure how helpful people are in something like r/England though.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Are you seriously deciding where to live based on the Internet speed?