God, the NBA Dunk Contest was garbage this year.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bruce

Did anyone WATCH this thing? Man, we go from Dwight Howard two years ago, Josh Smith a few years back, HELL EVEN LAST YEARS! to THIS?  

Ugh, this is what happens when you get a bunch of disinterested rotation players (Minus Gerald Wallace, though he was terrible too) involved in something which is SUPPOSED to help their career, yet they turn around and just think they can go out and do whatever. Shannon Brown probably would have been something special had he nailed the first dunk he attempted, and then after he missed, re-tried it instead of settling for something less. DeRozan's windmill was SO generic (how they gave that a 50 I have no idea), and it was only Nate who was seemingly into it (GO KNICKS!). 

I don't know -- I bet there are a lot of disappointed people considering how much the NBA marketed the FUCK out of it this year, mainly with those terrible rap commercials. :/ I don't know, what did you guys think?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

The star power needs to assert itself in more events, for what is the NBA anymore if not a showcase of athletic anomalies?

LeBron and Howard need their own dunk contest, just the two of them.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ryax

isnt that only in the nba live games?

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bruce
@Ryax:  

NOPE, real event. 
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ryax

wow. i now feel like a total fool. *sadface

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bruce
@Sir_Ragnarok:  

Yeah, I agree. I mean, I think it's total bullshit that most stars avoid it because they're (let's face it) worried about getting injured. LeBron lands with such force off of most of his in-game dunks that are impromptu and has a way larger chance of hurting himself that way than by actually doing a planned dunk where he has an idea of what he's going to do and land. 
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" The star power needs to assert itself in more events, for what is the NBA anymore if not a showcase of athletic anomalies?  LeBron and Howard need their own dunk contest, just the two of them. "
The more LeBron can do, the better. He's single-handedly carrying Cleveland's economy. If we lose him, we basically lose Cleveland.
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Hunkulese

You're on a gaming website and you wasted time you could of been playing something watching that garbage? The dunk contest has been a joke since Vince Carter's antics. Even though they tried to hype Dwight Howard's dunks the last couple years they weren't anything special. I get it. You're really tall and you can jump really high.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bruce
@Hunkulese:  

I'm on a gaming website with a bunch of cynical-ass people it seems too :/ 

Actually, I was getting some work done and occasionally flipping to TNT.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By sjschmidt93

Hmmmm, I didn't watch it. 

I sort of hate the NBA, anyway.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bruce
@Dr_Feelgood38:  

If Cavs win the title this year, he'll be there for life. If they don't, he's coming here to New York.  

I mean, I don't really CARE either way, mainly because we didn't draft the guy or make him a star; I'm always more partial to the home-bred Knicks like David Lee, Nate, you know, the guys we actually drafted (even though the suns initially drafted Nate). It'd feel cheap to me. Yeah, sure, the Knicks would instantly be a 50+ win team, but because we PAID off the best player in the league. :/ He should stay in Cleveland.
empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By empfeix
@Hunkulese said:
" You're on a gaming website and you wasted time you could of been playing something watching that garbage? The dunk contest has been a joke since Vince Carter's antics. Even though they tried to hype Dwight Howard's dunks the last couple years they weren't anything special. I get it. You're really tall and you can jump really high. "
Vince Carter's antics?  Not sure what you mean by that but Vince Carter's slam dunk winning competition was awesome!  And this is coming from someone who absolutely hates the guy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bruce said:
" @Dr_Feelgood38:   If Cavs win the title this year, he'll be there for life. If they don't, he's coming here to New York.   I mean, I don't really CARE either way, mainly because we didn't draft the guy or make him a star; I'm always more partial to the home-bred Knicks like David Lee, Nate, you know, the guys we actually drafted (even though the suns initially drafted Nate). It'd feel cheap to me. Yeah, sure, the Knicks would instantly be a 50+ win team, but because we PAID off the best player in the league. :/ He should stay in Cleveland. "
I still maintain that it'd be hilarious if he got picked up by the Clippers in some freak transaction no one expects. Then the true team of L.A. finally rises to glory. 

Haha.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bruce
@empfeix:  

There's a reason why only someone like Josh Smith can do those windmills!
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bruce
@Sir_Ragnarok:  

Man, that'd be a hell of a team actually. Baron Davis, Eric Gordon, LeBron, Camby, and Kaman. Hmm, one can dream right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bruce said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok:   Man, that'd be a hell of a team actually. Baron Davis, Eric Gordon, LeBron, Camby, and Kaman. Hmm, one can dream right? "
Just imagine what Clippers-Lakers games would be like. What? 

How awesome. So awesome.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bruce
@Sir_Ragnarok:  

Let's hope Griffin isn't injury prone.
Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Spiral_Stars

I was playing Splosion Man. I don't know about dunk contests,  but everybody loves donuts. I know I do.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude

I haven't watched a dunk contest in like, forever. This post made me want to look back.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By jkz

I think that after the extremely lackluster contest this year will prompt some more star-power to show up next year. 

Oh and  

@Claude
said:

" I haven't watched a dunk contest in like, forever. This post made me want to look back.

"
Where has this gone? We have more freakish athletes in the league now than we ever have, and none of them are in the dunk-contest.
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By CoolDrMoney

The last two years have been great, this one was very unimpressive. Lebron pulling out and the lack of props took away a lot of potential for 2010.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By illmatic19
@Bruce said:

" @Sir_Ragnarok:   Let's hope Griffin isn't injury prone. "

Blake Griffin is the next Greg Oden, sorry.

All of the events were bad, the one I enjoyed the most was the H.O.R.S.E. event.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bruce
@jukezypoo:  

Shannon Brown missing on that first attempt ruined him. That dunk looked INCREDIBLE until he slammed the ball too hard on the rim. Had he nailed that, he would have been great going forward.
lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By lead_farmer

The only thing I saw was the 3-point shootout, and that was because a Warrior was in it.
They hype the All-Star game way too much.  I think I'll wait til March and get excited over some college basketball.

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Spiral_Stars
@empfeix said:
" @Hunkulese said:
" You're on a gaming website and you wasted time you could of been playing something watching that garbage? The dunk contest has been a joke since Vince Carter's antics. Even though they tried to hype Dwight Howard's dunks the last couple years they weren't anything special. I get it. You're really tall and you can jump really high. "
Vince Carter's antics?  Not sure what you mean by that but Vince Carter's slam dunk winning competition was awesome!  And this is coming from someone who absolutely hates the guy. "
Antics doesn't imply anything derogatory. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Vince Carter's dunk contest was absolutely bananas.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Milkman

Yeah, it really did suck this year. But I'm really happy that Nate won again. And I'll second that, GO KNICKS! I still don't understand why Lebron, for whatever reason, refuses to participate.  Sucks that Gallo lost the 3 point shootout though.

i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By i69edUrGpa

Just watch the 2000 Dunk Contest with Carter...proof that nothing else will every be worthy

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bruce
@Milkman:  

There's a hidden scare among the stars to participate due to fear of injury. I'm pretty sure that most of their staff doesn't even allow it. That's why you mostly see rotation players in the contest. Same goes with the All-Star game: most players take it less seriously than they used to in the 80's to avoid the chance of getting injured.
Jeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jeffery
@Bruce said:
" @FartyMcNarly: You are so lame, >_< "
I know.
alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By alsnuts2  Online

Agreed, there was only 1 good dunk 

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31  Edited By billmcneal

not as impressive as in years past...I did like DeMar DeRozan's and Nate Robinson's dunks, most of them anyway, but there were a lot of dunks that weren't very creative
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, man. What a let down. Shannon Brown was the biggest disapointment. That guy is a dunking machine, but he didn't appear to put any effort at all into his dunks. After missing the 360, he just did a basic dunk where he switched hands, followed by a standard alley-oop. And man, he was the favorite to win!

DeRozan's 2nd dunk, the alley-oop pass off the backboard which received a 50 was good, but it didn't deserve such a high score. Also, I thought his windmill was one of the worst I've ever seen. There was hardly any extension with his arm whatsoever. Pitiful, man. I don't know much about Gerald Wallace, but I don't think he should have even been there, though I suppose he's a better choice than Eric Gordon on the Clippers (that's his name, right?). 

This year, I gotta give it to Nate Robinson. I agree that he was the only one who really seemed to put effort into it. Last year, I didn't think he should have won. Dwight Howard bringing out the extra high rim (What was it? 12 feet?) was just insane. I also loved his phone booth entrance. That's the kind of flair the Dunk Contest needs. He had great dunks last year. Robinson was awesome as well, but for one of his dunks, he used a teammate as a bench to dunk from further. Man, I don't think that should be allowed. Because of that, and the awesomeness of the 12 foot rim, and the fact that Howard let Robinson dunk over him, I think Howard was the true winner and a class act. 

Man, Shaq tried to rally together a superstar slam dunk contest a couple months ago as a fundraiser for Haiti. He was calling out LeBron, Kobe, Vince Carter, and any other superstar that thought they could challenge them. That would be so sick, dude. That's what the people want to see. Oh, and LeBron, you're lame. After the 12 foot rim, you said you'd sign up for this year, but you punked out. We were all witnesses.