Golden age of American Sci-fi over Lost, Heroes, Stargate, BSG

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Astras

I got used to the availability of great Sci fi from amerca in yearly cycles of these shows:

Lost
Battlestar galactica 
Caprica (Is it coming back?)
Heroes
Stargate SG1, Atlantis
Startrek Voyager, Enterprise
Terminator chronicles
X files

Now that they are finished, I don't basically watch any TV at all.. is there any other show that is running, started that I have missed/ am missing that is worth watching? Or is everyone mainly same as me thinkin.. when we gonna get some new decent sci fi?

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By IBurningStar

Fringe. The show started off rough, but has turned into something great. Oh, and Doctor Who is still going strong.It is a British show but it comes on here.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

While most of those shows make me want to puke, you list the first two stargates but not Universe.. Have you not watched Universe? Season 2 is coming back in October.   

V was..... watchable, I guess.  

But the correct answer to this thread is to go rent Babylon 5, endure season 1 (which isn't that good), get to season 2, then realize it's the best show ever made.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Astras

Yea,  V was sort of watchable but yea.. bit wierd, Yep I watched Universe and it was ok I guess... I will be watching season 2.. it doesn't fill the Stargate spot for me at the moment but we will see if theres an improvement!
Babylon 5 I have watched a bit of that, I was mainly Startrek, stargate in the past.... I will try and give it another shot.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pinworm45
@Astras said:
" Yea,  V was sort of watchable but yea.. bit wierd, Yep I watched Universe and it was ok I guess... I will be watching season 2.. it doesn't fill the Stargate spot for me at the moment but we will see if theres an improvement! Babylon 5 I have watched a bit of that, I was mainly Startrek, stargate in the past.... I will try and give it another shot. "
Yeah, Universe is becoming too battle-star like, which is all the rage in modern Sci Fi. I'm frankly sick of it. Every show feels copy pasted, from the camera movements to the way drama is held and even the way music Is played. Blah. It's particularly displeasing because Stargate is it's own thing, and I like that thing. It was FUN. Universe at times felt like a second rate boring drama show where nothing happens. 

However, felt like it got better over the break and had a few episodes that were good. Mainly because things happened. So I'm sticking around for season 2. 

As for Babylon 5... Like I said, season 1 is kinda bad. If you go to any forum about it, you'll see this all the time.. "I almost quit several times in season 1, but I'm glad I stuck around because this is now my favourite show of all time". Same for me. Technically, you CAN skip season 1.. but you miss a lot of details that it's just not worth it. It totally is worth sticking through season 1 for that show, it gets amazing.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Xeiphyer

Uhh... Heroes? Seasons 1 and 2 maybe, but they sure tried their best to crash that into the ground.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mylifeforAiur

It was over when The X-files was over, well, minus that last season. It was terrible :I 

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By manhattan_project

Terminator Chronicles? Really?

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bravetoaster

Heroes fell apart. I enjoyed the first two seasons, but it went to shit after that. 

I've never heard of Terminator Chronicles, but I'm familiar with the Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Again, I'd seriously have to argue with Heroes.  It started off really well, but never really went anywhere.  It was exciting because of the prospect of things that never happened.  By the end of the second season, I think everybody stopped caring.

Also Voyager and Enterprise are the absolute dregs of the Star Trek universe.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BSG and Lost are the only two really good shows on your list (never watched X-files so won't judge). I kinda liked Caprica as well, but Heroes was one of the worst shows on TV in recent years. 

Fringe is a really good sci fi show that is somewhat similar to the X-files so you might want to check that out.   

Also, try watching things like The Wire, Sopranos, Mad Men etc. Those are some of the best TV shows ever made.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By IBurningStar

You totally forgot about Flashforward! That was the best scifi comedy show ever. I laughed my ass off at every episode.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EVO

Sounds like you only watch sci-fi. You should try branching out a little.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pinworm45
@EVO said:
" Sounds like you only watch sci-fi. You should try branching out a little. "
Or he just likes sci fi and he watches other shows, but is in the mood for sci-fi given the currently lack of it on TV.
Avatar image for ialwaysdidntdoit@
ialwaysdidntdoit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ialwaysdidntdoit

OH, I thought this was about Science Fiction, not science fantasy. Wrong thread, sorry.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EVO
@Pinworm45 said:
" @EVO said:
" Sounds like you only watch sci-fi. You should try branching out a little. "
Or he just likes sci fi and he watches other shows, but is in the mood for sci-fi given the currently lack of it on TV. "
Well, he did say
" I don't basically watch any TV at all.. "
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MysteriousBob

I've never seen any of these as I don't watch TV. Are you sure Lost is sci fi? I thought it was about some people getting stuck on an island or something.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By haggis

Lost never struck me as being sci-fi. Heroes started falling apart in season 2. But yeah, TV sci-fi has changed a bit. I really enjoy Stargate Universe (more than Atlantis, at least, which I thought was very uneven). Then again, I actually liked Star Trek Enterprise as wel. :) 

There's Fringe (which is alright, but as a JJ Abrams joint I know is never going to actually tie its threads together), there's some decent sci-fi on the Syfy channel (Eureka is an incredibly rare sci-fi comedy, Warehouse 13 is a little uneven but getting much better). Caprica is still on, but I haven't been impressed with it. NBC's got their Batman-esque show The Cape coming on, and there's The Event, which strikes me as a bit like FlashForward (and just as likely to end up canceled). Terra Nova will most likely hit midseason, but it's running into trouble and may not appear at all. Rumor has it that TNT will have an alien invasion show up in the midseason as well. I've liked TNT's Leverage, so the production quality should be pretty good.

There's a lot of supernatural fantasy on TV now, being the current big trend. So you've got more shows like Supernatural, Haven, Vampire Diaries, that are kinda sucking the air out of sci-fi on TV.

baron_calamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By baron_calamity

To me, the golden age of Scifi was coming home after school in the 1970s and watching back to back episodes of Star Trek, Space 1999, and Lost in Space on a UHF channel that I couldn't quite get tuned in perfectly.
Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can get Babylon 5 streaming on Netflix, definitely worth watching.  Also, TNG is on like three different channels every night.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Astras said:
" I got used to the availability of great Sci fi from amerca in yearly cycles of these shows:  
Lost  - NOT Sci Fi but Science Fantasy or Religious Mumbo Jumbo - take your pick 
Battlestar galactica   - Religious Mumbo Jumbo dressed as Science Fiction
Caprica (Is it coming back?) - Emo Drama dressed as Religious Mumbo Jumbo alluding to Science Fiction
Heroes  - A Good Idea Lost in Translation after Season 2
Stargate SG1, Atlantis  - REALLY BAD SCIENCE FACTION.
Startrek Voyager - OLD Sci Fi like they don't make no more.
Enterprise  - New Sci Fi made like OLD Sci Fi they don't make no more on with Dell Product Placement
Terminator chronicles  - WOW SO BAD.  Even Hot Eurasian chick can't save this from being shit
X files  - Was great until season 4.  Then it went to shit.
What Golden Age of American Sci Fi?

At least you guys made Eureka, The Doll House and Firefly.

Too bad you treat your good shows like shit and pedestal your shit shows (STARHATE) as if they deserve praise.

You guys are weird.
HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HydraHam

I quite enjoy SG:U, V, Caprica and Fringe (if you consider sci-fi, i do.)

Also i really enjoy Warehouse 13 and Eureka but im not sure if those are considered Sci-Fi, anyways i am not a huge huge huge fan of sci-fi stuff i prefer grittier stuff that's more in the realm of reality like Justified, The Shield, The Wire, Sopranos, Sons of Anarchy etc. But i do enjoy some Sci-Fi stuff i loved Firefly, BGS and Lost.

Avatar image for zachtothefuture
zachtothefuture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zachtothefuture

voyager was a meh for me and enterprise were kinda shity.  heroes was an example of people no know what the hell their doing. lost was good except for half of that one season whith the stupid cages. battle star never seen. stargate doesn't make much sense but is fine. terminator was bored since pilot. x files got boring and know we have fringe and eurika which aren't that bad. the only thing i can think of i want would be sliders again but that will never happen.