Have you ever 2nd guessed typing "giantbomb.com" anywhere?

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By FesteringNeon

I was at work, making my daily rounds of websites..... 

then I was about to type the site address, and had a second guess.  

I work for a corporate bank, equipped with security, and monitoring etc... which may have had something to do with it.. 

but I know you guys go to libraries, schools and have jobs of your own. Ever second guess this site addy?
Stargate174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Stargate174

libraries and schools don't matter not much happens. Libraries where we are you can browse almost anything except hardcore material

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond
@bukkookkub: If you're really working at a bank, you should know they will monitor everything you do on the network.  Better not go to ANY non-work related site, let alone Giantbomb.
shaun832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By shaun832

Heh heh heh. I've sometimes felt awkward wabout typing the words 'Giant' and 'Bomb' right next to each other at school but jokes on the people who thinks it's literal!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Pazy

Never, wierdly the security software in my college which shuts down windows with "Firefox" and "Opera" in the title (and of course others) dosent shut down "Bomb" or even "How to Build a Bomb" lol then again its a peice of crap, Opera is shut down unless you change the title (which takes 10 seconds).

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoelTGM
@Diamond said:
" @bukkookkub: If you're really working at a bank, you should know they will monitor everything you do.  Better not go to ANY non-work related site, let alone Giantbomb. "
well that sounds boring.  are they really that careful?  maybe they just say that, but never bother checking it.
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

What about Giantbank.com?

shaun832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By shaun832
@Pazy said:
" Never, wierdly the security software in my college which shuts down windows with "Firefox" and "Opera" in the title (and of course others) dosent shut down "Bomb" or even "How to Build a Bomb" lol then again its a peice of crap, Opera is shut down unless you change the title (which takes 10 seconds). "
Oh, and when I was watching How to Build a Bomb at home. That was kinda weird.
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaneDev

I thought about it once when i was typing at college but no one cares anyway.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane

Not really.  I always have my laptop with me, so I only go to Giant Bomb on there on not on the work or school computers.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
well that sounds boring.  are they really that careful?  maybe they just say that, but never bother checking it.
It depends on how strict they are about it, but most businesses will monitor every site you go to and all your email over the network.  Banks are just more strict about that sort of stuff usually.  I guess you will get away with it if you're an exec.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By penguindust

I would never go to a game website at work because I know that everything is monitored down at IT.  For my gaming fix, I used CNet which is also a mainstream news site. 

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By End_Boss

My laptop has a program on it that blocks federal addresses from accessing it, so I don't worry about that stuff too much.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By FesteringNeon
@Diamond:
Yea, they give access or deny sites right off the bat. I'm assuming this one couldn't be viewed at work, as i've tried others like Joystiq. But, I was apprehensive to even type giantbomb, for fear that they would be alerted or something crazy. It probably doesn't help that one of my favorite bands is All Shall Perish, and I have sweatshirts/t-shirts that I wear of the band on the weekends.  

Has anyone other than you said anything when the address bar stores the website for future viewing?  LOL WHAT IS TIMMY GETTING INTO NOW? BOMMMBSS?!
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox
@bukkookkub: never ever. I use my Google homepage as a videogame RSS reader. GB is always one click away (two, max).

As long as you're signed in to Google, anyways.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RetroIce4

Nope except for maybe school. Most def. not at an airport though. I wouldn't type it in there.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By c1337us

The thought crossed my mind when I was at the airport waiting for my flight. That was until common sense assured me that I was on my laptopn and they don't give a shit about me looking at websites about games if they happneded to look over my shoulder.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Karmum

I think I was on a different computer (owned by someone outside my family), and my father told me to not have the name of a document called "giant bomb." So yeah, I have to think twice about stuff like that.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten

Never.. 
I think it would just be funny if the guys and girls at work saw the website. 
They would probably bitch and go "Why do you check up on gaming websites when you work as a reviewer for this mag" or some dumb stuff like that. 
Or my boss would joke around with me being on another site checking for easy ways to get off work.. 
And when I'm in town and have my Laptop with me I can go to Giantbomb.com anyway without people going nuts. 
Kinda think the cute bomb in the logo makes it not so mysterious :P

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By jkz

When at work I don't come here. I work for the National Institutes of Health (Government) so you can understand why.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Cube

Yeah, at airports I guess.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#22  Edited By JackiJinx

I have double guessed at my new college, but mostly during peak library hours when terminal capacity is full. I don't care so much now and visit despite that.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lunarbunny
@Pazy said:
" Never, wierdly the security software in my college which shuts down windows with "Firefox" and "Opera" in the title (and of course others) dosent shut down "Bomb" or even "How to Build a Bomb" lol then again its a peice of crap, Opera is shut down unless you change the title (which takes 10 seconds). "
1. Change Internet Explorer titlebar in registry (this is how you get "Internet Explorer provided by <insert company here>") to contain Firefox
2. ??? 
3. Profit! 

Course I'm sure it's not stupid enough to let you change the registry, but the idea's there!
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hockeymask27

Not really. However watching How to build a bomb while my dad came in my room was an interesting conversation.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pazy
@Lunarbunny said:
" @Pazy said:
1. Change Internet Explorer titlebar in registry (this is how you get "Internet Explorer provided by <insert company here>") to contain Firefox2. ??? 3. Profit!  Course I'm sure it's not stupid enough to let you change the registry, but the idea's there! "
Well they done let us but the sort of taught us how since im on an HND Technical Support course. Then again one of the guys in my class also delete the security program (fairly easy, since one of the lecturors gave us all a copy of Ubuntu 9.04 as a Live CD and we just delete the file lol) and then later on delete the whole operating system and replaced it with linux.
obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By obscurefan

Whenever I sign up to join a website I like to google it first to learn more about it and see if anyone has complained about joining in the past. So when I decided to join giantbomb.com I was about to type it in when I realized, "I don't know if I want to type GIANT BOMB into a google search." So that's about as close as I've come to second guessing it.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blair

On flights, I sometimes type 'giantbomb.com' with no stewardesses around.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By natetodamax

Just activate Private Browsing in Firefox and your concerns will vanish

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By C0V3RT

Back when the site was just a WordPress site - I remember watching a "How To Build A Bomb " and Jeff coming on and saying "You're watching how to build a bomb" and my fiance(girlfriend at the time) asking me what the fuck I was watching. 

I also recall one time pulling it up at work and my supervisor saying that I probably should look at the site as people may be concerned about the name.  She made a good point so I went out and got an iPhone so I could check out the site from work (pre iPhone app) without scaring my co-workers.